Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

Well I can't say that makes much sense to me.  I saw no evidence in this thread that anyone was operating multiple accounts.

Love the battloid crashing through the building by the way.  I had tried to win some of those when they were offered.

1 hour ago, Mokman said:

Well I can't say that makes much sense to me.  I saw no evidence in this thread that anyone was operating multiple accounts.

Love the battloid crashing through the building by the way.  I had tried to win some of those when they were offered.

Well, that SR Labs link is good as I've read about them in a few other places before. Perhaps here. And a friend of mine who collects cels and other artwork gave me their name and a few others in California that deal with cel preservation and restoration. I haven't used them yet though.

I think it's important if you collect cels to probably check out Disney / American stuff as that is still popular. There are barely a handful of people posting here. And some of those might not have the best intentions.

I posted this before, in case anyone missed it.

There are other videos of the Disney vault but here you can see how they store and preserve artwork older than the cels and sketches of the 80s stuff we are after. Here is another good tour in a museum by someone who collects Disney artwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkLU5kffkSw

It's worth a watch even though it's almost 50 minutes. His stuff is framed. I'm waiting to see someone who collects Japanese anime post a museum or collection tour like this. I did get piece recently from another anime and I'll post it when the final item shows up hopefully later this year or early next year. It's going to be a cool display if you like 80s anime.

Edited by JetJockey

Well if he was two people at once, I don't know what he was getting out of it. I never received any private messages about cels for sale or anything like that.

Maybe my memory is bad, but wasn't there a gallery type show with Macross anime cels on display some years ago? I think it was when they had part of a life sized valkyrie for people to see. I know I remember something like that with at least concept artwork.

The MacrossManiac account was a way to hit the reboot button for his MW cel community online persona, since his elrdf account was outed as one belonging to what several here considered to be someone of questionable repute.

The half-baked scheme almost worked.....if it weren't for some meddling kids!!! :drinks:

• 3 weeks later...

So I had picked up a set of Genga and Douga for a character from Macross Digital Mission VF-X and was searching the webs trying to see if I could find a good pic for her character from the game or from a screen grab of the game.....still searching for that....but what I ended up running into was the image of Sylvie from the "hanken" I picked up a few months ago and posted here....although I did not find the page where I originally encountered the Sylvie pic, I did find "the pic" and it appears, in all places, on the Digital Mission VF-X game manual page 17...

large.972733607_Sylvieimage.jpg.cf70e3b0

.....I have searched everywhere for this pic and I cannot seem to find it used in any other media...book, poster, flyer....nothing...other than the Japanese site where I initially ran into it.....and now on the Digital Mission VF-X game manual!

Here is an close up of the Sylvie pic shown above....

large.445453040_SylvieMacrossDigitalMiss

....and here is a pic of the hanken....

large.20190315_124032.jpg.b4131613c1462d

Mystery solved! 

Well, actually, what is still a mystery is why was this hanken was even made?  Why didn't they just use the "Mikimoto" version of the same Sylvie in the same pose on the VF-X game manual?  In any case, it would seem the "VF-X" Sylvie hanken has more or less vanished from the interwebs, replaced by the now famous Mikimoto version....

256497.jpg

Sylvie's expression in the hanken is much different than the Mikimoto version. Maybe, for promotional materials, the marketing team preferred to depict Sylvie closer to her actual persona - a strong, resolute female officer.  And maybe the illustrator was directed to Mikimoto's version as a point of reference? Theories!

15 hours ago, Mokman said:

Curious that they both appear to have the same background.  I can only guess that they might have been done as early tests of color variations and after then well known blue version won out the black uniform was no longer needed.

Yes, I had noticed that too.  If my guess is correct, it means the background was reused for the "finalized" Mikimoto version.

I still think the "hanken" version came first and probably was used for early teaser promo purposes.  Then Mikimoto completed his illustration and the "hanken" was tossed to the side.  If Mikimoto ever comes to the Chicagoland area, I will bring it to him and ask him if he remembers anything about it! :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, de_005 said:

Sylvie's expression in the hanken is much different than the Mikimoto version. Maybe, for promotional materials, the marketing team preferred to depict Sylvie closer to her actual persona - a strong, resolute female officer.  And maybe the illustrator was directed to Mikimoto's version as a point of reference? Theories!

Yes, the Mikimoto version has definitely more of a "damsel in distress" vibe than the "woman in charge" look.  But then again, that's Mikimoto's look for any female character during that period of his art career! :lol:....not that there is anything wrong with that! :good:

Has Mikimoto even shown up at conventions in the United States recently? I remember there was a site that tracked anime creator attendance at conventions that I found. But that was a while ago and I forgot the name of it. I only remember mention of Mikimoto attending older conventions in the California area. I did post an update to the Megazone 23 Kickstarter that's coming up. Mikimoto will have some custom art rewards for that project but they are high priced. And people seem to be mixed on his new art style from what I've read. I'm in the camp of liking the older stuff more myself. But the Kickstarter art reward doesn't require the artwork to be Megazone 23.  Still if I were to get Misa or someone, I would want a classic looking Mikimoto style drawing.

On 8/5/2019 at 1:26 AM, JetJockey said:

Has Mikimoto even shown up at conventions in the United States recently? I remember there was a site that tracked anime creator attendance at conventions that I found. But that was a while ago and I forgot the name of it. I only remember mention of Mikimoto attending older conventions in the California area. I did post an update to the Megazone 23 Kickstarter that's coming up. Mikimoto will have some custom art rewards for that project but they are high priced. And people seem to be mixed on his new art style from what I've read. I'm in the camp of liking the older stuff more myself. But the Kickstarter art reward doesn't require the artwork to be Megazone 23.  Still if I were to get Misa or someone, I would want a classic looking Mikimoto style drawing.

Looks like he popped up in Raleigh a few years back.

I prefer his DYRL/mid-80s art style. He once said his art has to evolve, good or bad.

On 8/6/2019 at 8:58 AM, Mokman said:

Does anyone know if Mikimoto will create new art in his old style if requested to?  Or does he only draw in his new style?  The creator of the Kickstarter did not know.

Hmm, why should Woodhead know?  You are literally asking him for confirmation for something completely out of his control.  Whatever style is used to create a shikishi is entirely up to Mikimoto himself.  Pledge (or not) accordingly.

3 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Hmm, why should Woodhead know?  You are literally asking him for confirmation for something completely out of his control.  Whatever style is used to create a shikishi is entirely up to Mikimoto himself.  Pledge (or not) accordingly.

If only Mikimoto was some starving artist that would illustrate your shikishi in whatever style you demanded...:rolleyes:

On 8/6/2019 at 7:42 AM, de_005 said:

Looks like he popped up in Raleigh a few years back.

I prefer his DYRL/mid-80s art style. He once said his art has to evolve, good or bad.

I think that might be the site. It looks different. I kind of remember that the other one had some convention photos too. But still good to see another site track convention attendance.

I'm all for artist style evolution. But for something like this, I would want an evolution of that older style. Modern with some of the same feel. I've seen some artists redo and improve some of their popular works. But when I saw that new Mikimoto Eve painting. At first I didn't even know who the character was supposed to be. Most of the comments I've seen around the Internet seem to prefer the older style to the new one as well.

On 8/6/2019 at 10:58 AM, Mokman said:

Does anyone know if Mikimoto will create new art in his old style if requested to?  Or does he only draw in his new style?  The creator of the Kickstarter did not know.

For $2500 he should at least be curious or knowledgeable about what people will receive. I've said before that I find the Animeigo guy's sense of humor very odd. It's not the most professional thing to get an artist to draw something without any sort of direction or input and to just be happy with what you get. As I mentioned in the Megazone 23 Kickstarter topic, I've seen some bad comic artist commissions too. And of course, some pay less for commissions where they can at least have some input in the end result. You could start a good cel, sketch, poster, or any other type of original art collection with $2500.

Honestly, a lot of these Kickstarters, at least for Animeigo seem to be for people to pad their ego and be happy that they are named on the disc, talked to a producer, or put in an idea. So that could effect if these sell. We'll see how fast those 10 Mikimoto artwork slots go in the coming days.

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

You would think most folks would just be happy to be receiving a one of a kind piece of art created just for YOU...but I guess that just isn't enough for some.  Guess having to drop 2500 bucks means you are entitled to make demands from a legendary artist. ;)

There is a difference between making "demands" and giving input / creative direction via showing them your favorite drawings and scenes from an anime project. And just simply talking to the artist about what you like about their work. So everyone is pleased with the final outcome.

I found these in a quick search. I don't think these are worth $2500 to me. But of course when it comes to art, everyone is different.

739630216_minmay1.jpg.6bca73bbe112b0bdb4dfa340449724ec.jpg

86856086_minmay2.jpg.02f874c7f48380fb54f147921a269cdc.jpg

mikimoto.jpg.cb46a9b323cd30107fd94638c3863412.jpg

eve.jpg.c23fd362d235371c855002745144faba.jpg

But if he could remake something like this. Perhaps with more Megazone stuff in the background like a Garland or some environment detail.

416556523_eveposter.jpg.7064c71d894180824289a852da4518b7.jpg

Then yes, $2500 would be ok.

There is no harm sharing how you prefer Mikimoto's older character designs. However how much you 'feel' an original Mikimoto customized color sketch is worth, does not matter at all.

Is there a reason why you are routinely sharing your opinions about cels and sketches, when you do not own any? Or do you own any original Mikimoto sketches or drawings? 

Also do you know how much these sketches are valued at in the modern collectors market? How much do you believe you would need to spend inorder to even obtain an original sketch? Have you done the math to determine how much money you would conservatively need to spend on convention tickets, airfare, lodging, art supplies, just for the 'opportunity' to get an original sketch? Or alternatively how much would you need to spend on raffle tickets, or in bidding wars either for online or live auctions inorder to win an original Mikimoto sketch?

Keep in mind Mikimoto does not do custom sketches anymore at cons (if he even attends) and he certainly does not do commissions. 

So ultimately, your 'input on the creation' of an original Mikimoto sketch amounts to nothing since you do not intend to spend the money to support this project, or will you? 

4 hours ago, JetJockey said:

There is a difference between making "demands" and giving input / creative direction via showing them your favorite drawings and scenes from an anime project.

You are missing the point.....one does not "give input" or "creative direction" to a man who is clearly a genius in his field.....I would hope this Woodhead guy would not even entertain this foolishness....he was probably being polite in his response to the question....I am sure it took great tact to even solicit Mikimoto's participation in this project....now imagine telling Mikimoto that there are stipulations he must meet or entertain in order to participate.....Do you want to just have him say "screw this!" to the current project and any future projects?

I'm a big mikimoto fan. I've met him a few times, and I don't think he'd mind a simple request, especially since it's a (sort of) commissioned sketch.  I, personally, would not ask him to revert to a certain style since he's moved on, but IMO, a simple, "hey, I loved this drawing, could you draw something similar to this?" would be okay.

BTW, the shared mumei/kabaneri sketch is fantastic.  Would be ecstatic if he were to produce something like that.

If anyone gets one, please share!

• 2 weeks later...

A question for those who use desiccant packs to protect your cel collections, what type are you using? I find the small 1/2 unit Desi Pak's to be bulky when used in conjunction with a ITOYA Profolio binders. Are there thin alternatives? 

I use various sized desiccant packets.  In the past I used the ones commonly used with computer parts and cameras.  However, over the years I find creating my own has served me well too.  Specifically using kitty litter in various containers worked wonders.  Also I've experimented using baking soda to help with moisture too, however, I now prefer using a combination of desiccant and kitty litter packets.  Let us know the results of your testing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 3:40 PM, Fortress_Maximus said:

Missed it by a few minutes for the first round.  The next round Mikimoto can only do characters from M23 so that is a hard pass, I definitely do not think it is worth it if he cannot draw from other series.

It's not just the current round but the previous one. Yea I'm in the same boat, I missed the previous round and was going to do this current one. I was going for another franchise but $2500 for M23 feels like a waste. It's ridiculous though that they didn't have this set in stone before the start of the KS campaign.

Edited by SolarAlpha

Ah well that certainly sucks for the people who already backed it, since they were grossly misinformed.  Like you I wanted Mikimoto to draw a character from another series besides M23.  Also agree Woodhead should have finalized these details before even offering Mikimoto shikishi's on the KS campaign.  Wonder what happened to cause this last minute change.  Does anyone know?

20 minutes ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Ah well that certainly sucks for the people who already backed it, since they were grossly misinformed.  Like you I wanted Mikimoto to draw a character from another series besides M23.  Also agree Woodhead should have finalized these details before even offering Mikimoto shikishi's on the KS campaign.  Wonder what happened to cause this last minute change.  Does anyone know?

He mentioned in the recent update that it was ‘unforeseen’ contractual issues. I can’t help but think though that Mikimoto flaked out, and this is less about contracts and more about him.

Until we get more detailed information from Woodhead I am not going to assume the worst and give both him and Mikimoto the benefit of the doubt.  However, it still would have been professional and greatly appreciated by fans alike, if these unforeseen contractual issues were resolved well in advance of the KS campaign.  We may never know the truth but if anyone finds out, please share via pm if you cannot disclosure publicly.  Thank you.