Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

22 minutes ago, JetJockey said:

I just wanted the one Hikaru and Misa in valkyrie sketch.

879673254_hikarumisa.jpg.c1c0a561fd778ba04b502194221f2d4a.jpg

We'll see what shows up on ebay. I don't know how many American buyers will want sketches with the Japanese notes. If these went to Mandarake I assume separately they would really get a lot of money like those sketches in the last page. I just saw this Minmay on ebay and I swear it was on Yahoo Japan some weeks back. It's being sold by "saraliso."

2036030516_minmayflashbackcel.thumb.jpg.e9753d51a7eb2f666761861612e3842a.jpg

Also for the guy who posted about Rinkya, I saw this notice on an auction via Rinkya. "Bidding against a Rinkya bidder." So they tell you that you are competing against someone else on Rinkya. Whether that helps or not who knows?

Hey thanks for the info. I really think that once you submit a bid before a high one that they see that and they will bid to jack the price up. Not every time but I think that it' something that they do to make a higher commission. Who knows though. The sketches are AWESOME!

7 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Well that got out of hand fast.

https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-q290978949

I guess they've started on this one and it's going to get really high in the coming hours.

I believe this is because of those sketches. If I'm right the Misa TV cels are from that final episode scene with Hikaru and Minmay. I remember not to long ago seeing another cel in this sequence but with Hikaru and Minmay plus the background. I'm pretty sure that didn't even break $1000.

So much for me trying to sneak a win out of this auction though.

Wow that’s just plain crazy 

11 minutes ago, treker14 said:

Wow that’s just plain crazy 

I don't think it was that crazy....add up a conservative estimate for the value of the "nicer" cels/dougas/gengas and the price is actually close or less than what each would sell for separately on ebay or even YJA.....

11 minutes ago, MacrossManiac said:

Sorry, that's what I meant. YJA. But still, you can easily verify that these are legit and the sellers too on  YJA..

This one just went for like around 100 pretty nice cel with background!!

https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-q291068841

Yes, that was a nice score...not sure if the background is matching, but still nice

Rinkya will let you know when you're bidding against another Rinkya bidder.  It's possible for a bidding war to break out between two Rinkya users even after the auction on YJ has ended (for example, an auction can end on YJ for 30000 yen and the high bid on Rinkya might be 60000 yen because two Rinkya bidders got into a bidding war).  

I bid on this Minmay DYRL cel, but someone sniped me in the last few seconds, and I gave up once it went higher than I was comfortable paying. 

https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-j567789769

I'm a little disappointed, and I would like to replace the Minmay cel I used to have with another nice one of her.  Ultimately, though, I would prefer a portrait to a profile shot (or a shot with her hand covering up her eyes, obviously).

There's another cel of Minmay from Flash Back 2012 that's been on eBay for a while now.  However, it's rather pricey and the seller says it's stuck to the douga (not sure how I feel about that, especially for the price).

Actually it's from EP 18 no background though just the cel. Also, I wonder why there aren't any really insane cels and backgrounds for sale.. There must be MANY I mean there are thousands and thousands of backgrounds even from 36 episodes.. I haven't seen any SDF-1 cels ever either!

53 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

DYRL Minmay cel....73,200 JPY

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j567789769

Closer to a "normal" price...maybe the guys from the previosu week were tapped out! 

I tried for this one.  It was just between me and one other bidder at the end, although I have no idea how high they were willing to go.

It was a very nice profile shot, but I'm not willing to go quite as high on a profile even if I love Mikimoto's "elf ears" period.  :P  

Edited by ZenAmako

I think the Misa group was totally worth the 201,000 JPY given the number of individual items included.  Parted out individually you could definitely get more than that for the better pieces.

I have to say I am pleasantly shocked to have won the auction I was interested in (well not counting the Max battloid which I knew was going to go much higher than I would have bid).  I won the group with the two cockpit sketches.  There is a fun little easter egg of sorts on the sketch of the cockpit interior.  It says "Seiko", "Akina" and  "Iyo" on the side of the seat.  I believe these are a nod to the pop idols Seiko Matsuda, Akina Nakamori and Iyo Matsumoto who were popular in Japan in the 80's.  There are several other places throughout the series where similar nods are given, as shown on this site.

https://yackdeculture.tumblr.com/post/86954906554

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 11.47.01 AM.png

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I don't think it was that crazy....add up a conservative estimate for the value of the "nicer" cels/dougas/gengas and the price is actually close or less than what each would sell for separately on ebay or even YJA.....

Sorry my phone did update. So it was still showing 6 days left on the auction. That’s what I thought was crazy

7 minutes ago, Mokman said:

I think the Misa group was totally worth the 201,000 JPY given the number of individual items included.  Parted out individually you could definitely get more than that for the better pieces.

I have to say I am pleasantly shocked to have won the auction I was interested in (well not counting the Max battloid which I knew was going to go much higher than I would have bid).  I won the group with the two cockpit sketches.  There is a fun little easter egg of sorts on the sketch of the cockpit interior.  It says "Seiko", "Akina" and  "Iyo" on the side of the seat.  I believe these are a nod to the pop idols Seiko Matsuda, Akina Nakamori and Iyo Matsumoto who were popular in Japan in the 80's.  There are several other places throughout the series where similar nods are given, as shown on this site.

https://yackdeculture.tumblr.com/post/86954906554

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 11.47.01 AM.png

That is cool, I noticed the Seiko and Kina/Iyo but didn't think of it like that. Thanks for pointing it out! The Max cel didn't have the background and seemed to be wavy and have a slight vinegar smell from what I saw. I think it would be fair to pay around $800.00 for that or maybe a little less. Valk cels I notice are becoming pretty rare. I still want to see some SDF-1 cels..

18 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Do you have any other old catalogs from back then? Like Nikaku Animart or US Renditions that you can scan and post? Also I'm curious about the quality of Macek’s cel gallery, did you ever see anything from his collection? If he had cels with backgrounds from Southern Cross and Mospeada?

Sorry, I've never been to Macek's gallery and haven't seen it. The only times I went to California were in 1995 and 1996 for Robocon and Anime America '96.

I have this 1996 Nikaku Animart Catalog. I don't know if I have any others scanned. I still have my Books Nippan, Super Collector, and maybe some other catalogs in paper form.

IMG_1366.thumb.jpg.b05d00207deaf616d86e059af68b0d8a.jpg1284890346_ScanMay262019at12_28PM.thumb.jpg.008e2c1a275e3fb0d87a1e36b488aa2b.jpg

nikaku96.doc

Well, I went 0 for 2 yesterday. I thought I would get a good chance at Max but they passed my $750 to maybe $800 limit before I could even get a chance to bid. I had to hold back money for the upcoming Bandai VF-1S versions coming out. Still those guys are serious. The auction kept getting extended too. That's probably stressful as hell to win something like that.

17 hours ago, jvmacross said:

It is not that it is selling on "Rinkya" it is selling on YJA....

Mandarake is more widely recognized...trusted, perhaps...than YJA.....it probably contributes to the higher amount of potential competitors/bidders

I'm sure Mandarake has some kind of mailing list. Plus all those locations. People will probably go there first for animation stuff over a Yahoo Japan auction.

16 hours ago, MacrossManiac said:

It's matching. I wonder on the Max valkryie if the background matches.

As far as I could tell everything on the Max auction checked.

16 hours ago, ZenAmako said:

Rinkya will let you know when you're bidding against another Rinkya bidder.  It's possible for a bidding war to break out between two Rinkya users even after the auction on YJ has ended (for example, an auction can end on YJ for 30000 yen and the high bid on Rinkya might be 60000 yen because two Rinkya bidders got into a bidding war).  

I bid on this Minmay DYRL cel, but someone sniped me in the last few seconds, and I gave up once it went higher than I was comfortable paying. 

https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-j567789769

I'm a little disappointed, and I would like to replace the Minmay cel I used to have with another nice one of her.  Ultimately, though, I would prefer a portrait to a profile shot (or a shot with her hand covering up her eyes, obviously).

There's another cel of Minmay from Flash Back 2012 that's been on eBay for a while now.  However, it's rather pricey and the seller says it's stuck to the douga (not sure how I feel about that, especially for the price).

I thought bidding between Rinkya users would just keep the Yahoo Auction going? Unless for example someone holds the high bid of say $200. Another Rinkya user bids $100 and Rinkya just says that is too low. Or the price on the Yahoo Japan auction goes up for someone with a higher limit when the maximum keeps getting tested.

How does Rinkya handle the bidding war between two users in terms of auction time / time to up the bid?

16 hours ago, MacrossManiac said:

Actually it's from EP 18 no background though just the cel. Also, I wonder why there aren't any really insane cels and backgrounds for sale.. There must be MANY I mean there are thousands and thousands of backgrounds even from 36 episodes.. I haven't seen any SDF-1 cels ever either!

I have a feeling that many of the original backgrounds, since they are one of a kind, are kept in the higher end collections and were sold in the early days. Or kept by the people working in the studio. On occasion you see some cels with the matching background. The Animeigo guy sold a few Bubblegum Crash cels with the original background. But I've seen more non-matching copy backgrounds and matching copy backgrounds than the original painted backgrounds.

I think there was a good SDF-1 cel and background that sold like in the last year or so. It was a scene with it in the lake. My memory might be bad though as one of my favorite scenes with the SDF-1 is in that lake during the snow I think. But that might have been something in the Robotech Art 1 book unless that was in the show as well. I need to watch it again. I'll search and see if I saved the image.

10 hours ago, Legioss said:

Sorry, I've never been to Macek's gallery and haven't seen it. The only times I went to California were in 1995 and 1996 for Robocon and Anime America '96.

I have this 1996 Nikaku Animart Catalog. I don't know if I have any others scanned. I still have my Books Nippan, Super Collector, and maybe some other catalogs in paper form.

IMG_1366.thumb.jpg.b05d00207deaf616d86e059af68b0d8a.jpg1284890346_ScanMay262019at12_28PM.thumb.jpg.008e2c1a275e3fb0d87a1e36b488aa2b.jpg

nikaku96.doc 182.3 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks. I wish I kept those old catalogs.

On 5/26/2019 at 3:35 PM, Legioss said:

1284890346_ScanMay262019at12_28PM.thumb.jpg.008e2c1a275e3fb0d87a1e36b488aa2b.jpg

nikaku96.doc 182.3 kB · 3 downloads

Whoah, that Books Nippan newsletter has some crazy romanizations! Does it happen to say what month it was written?

Thanks for posting those pics, it's great to see what anime fandom was like during the early days of the web.

2 hours ago, treker14 said:

That’s one awesome cel

I think I saved another one too from the old days of Anime Expo that I happened to find. But it's in an unsorted folder somewhere.

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

It's technically not a "cel"....more of a painting

Yes, it's a background painting from Ep.29, "Lonely Song."  The sunlight reflecting off the water was on the cel layer.

1529381077_lonelysong.thumb.jpg.9b194f1c26e7a5bdfe7814e6480c11bc.jpg

It's a surprisingly nice panning shot, especially for an episode produced by the notorious Star Pro.

7 minutes ago, tekering said:

Yes, it's a background painting from Ep.29, "Lonely Song."  The sunlight reflecting off the water was on the cel layer.

1529381077_lonelysong.thumb.jpg.9b194f1c26e7a5bdfe7814e6480c11bc.jpg

It's a surprisingly nice panning shot, especially for an episode produced by the notorious Star Pro.

Very nice but asides from this I haven't seen any floating around anywhere.. I think I saw this one a while back.

3 minutes ago, MacrossManiac said:

I don’t think this one is from Macross 7z it also not from DYRL it Tv.

Its not a TV cel.  Take a close look at the Macross.  I has the ARMD carriers on the arms instead of the Daedalus and Prometheus.  The quality of the artwork also seems to be much better than anything that was in the original TV series.