Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

@Mokman LOL. Sure. Btw, nothing is in the second section down if you are referring to "other".  When you select the link it just loops back and no image is displayed.

@elrdf   Do not take offense when people ask legitimate questions about cels for sale posted by an unknown facebook seller with no reputation.  Also, as others aptly point out you consider urbantreasurehunterjapan a scalper for his reselling practices, but you literally do the same.  Is it any wonder some consider this behavior contradicting, misrepresenting, and bordering unethical?  Some of us myself included do not condone this behavior by anyone. 

If I may offer an unsolicited piece of advice, perhaps you can change your cel listings to realistic prices instead of overly inflating?  You might get more sales, even if you do not 're-coop', or cover the full cost of the expensive cel you impulsively bought.  Proper financial planning, specifically savings, helps to avoid selling to cover unexpected purchases.  Lastly, we all strongly encourage you to contribute to the cel community, you may discover doing so adds greater enjoyment to this hobby.  Good luck.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

@Fortress_Maximus look at the dates updated on the right side of the main page.  There is a clickable section for each.  The second one down is the one of interest.

P.S.  My comments from before still apply.  My suggestion is we spend a little time on this thread sharing artwork instead of commenting on the behavior of others.  So who is next to share a pic of something?  Something new, something old, something from your wishlist.  Something that was offered for sale some time ago that you regret not jumping on.  Anything!

On 10/1/2018 at 8:50 AM, jvmacross said:

Link?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/viviere/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

A few Macross items sold. One cel and a Macross 2 poster.

They accepted an offer on the cel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anime-RARE-Macross-Robotech-production-cel-of-Skull-Leader-/332821454283?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720

On 10/16/2018 at 7:43 PM, Mokman said:

So who has something cool to share from their collection?  Here is one of my prized items from a "secret" section of my RS gallery.

IMG_3354.JPG

On 10/16/2018 at 8:25 PM, jvmacross said:

That would look great next to the Kid Logic 1/6 VF-1 cockpit diorama....

This is what is sorely missing on this thread....posts of actual cels and other related art...

I tried almost two years ago to start more discussion on the cels people have seen. But there wasn't any interest. Here is what I posted back then.

Edited by JetJockey

Absolutely!  We should proactively encourage and promote cel education.  Considering the cel communities are so fractured and hidden, if we do not share information, who will?  Discussing cel preservation, storage, repairs, history, trends, and identifying questionable sellers is definitely worthy of discussion.  These are some of the core practices in the cel community, giving back and educating each other through shared knowledge to help other collectors make better informed decisions.

The key difference between this and what jetjockey suggests is constant lamenting about not buying cels for whatever reasons.  Or showing images for cels he has never owned.  This behavior amounts to mere image copying which has nothing to do with actual cel or original art collecting.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

Here's an image I have saved in one of my cel folders on my computer.  I think it is a scan from one of the old Mandarake BWA catalogues shared with me by someone on the RS chat from back in the day, but I don't remember for sure.  The file was created in 2007 so the BWA was likely from that year.  It has been quite a while since I've seen anything else of this quality offered for sale.

97614505pd6.jpg

7 hours ago, Mokman said:

Here's an image I have saved in one of my cel folders on my computer.  I think it is a scan from one of the old Mandarake BWA catalogues shared with me by someone on the RS chat from back in the day, but I don't remember for sure.  The file was created in 2007 so the BWA was likely from that year.  It has been quite a while since I've seen anything else of this quality offered for sale.

97614505pd6.jpg

Thanks. I've never seen those originals before. You never know what's out there. Or what was out there. Even if you were after cels and sketches from day one you are still bound to miss stuff. You simply don't know what the studio kept, destroyed, gave away, sold, etc. No one knows exactly.

This might be worthwhile to some collectors or people who read this forum. I use similar materials for my stuff.

Edited by JetJockey

"The ones that got away" I completely miss this YJ auction for The Macross IMAI Box Art by Yoshiyuki Takani back in 2011. They went from between $500 to $3000, those were the good old days.

Is there a lucky soul on here who happened to grab a few of these?

Has anyone seen the Bandai, Takatoko, and ARII box art up for auction anywhere?

jvmacross, yes the hi-metal 1/55 were beautiful. especially these.

38747390_467335180413760_2841855258466975744_n.jpg.9805ab89b882e8c5d29a071203c6b8f2.jpgb2f3c543-78d0-4d13-bd12-bb4342a31087.jpg.c78b3378895768bbbc2a252937f68b46.jpg

Thanks for the artist box art primer!

I also love the settei's for which i've collected a few (maybe that's an understatement), but do you know anything on their backstory? From my understanding they are not one of a kind, do know other tidbits of information on settei's?

http://oden.rubberslug.com/gallery/master_query.asp?SeriesID=51741

I was at the Nakano Broadway Mandarake store in Tokyo last week. The prices were insane except for Tenchi Muyou! for some reason so I bought a couple of Tenchi cels (I haven't scanned them yet). I don't speak Japanese really well but I even told the guy there, joking, that my cels must be worth that much too. Some of the junk cels and faded cels are being sold as if they were the Grail.

My gallery: https://marmalade.rubberslug.com (scans on page 24 of this thread)

Edited by Legioss

20 minutes ago, Oden said:

38747390_467335180413760_2841855258466975744_n.jpg.9805ab89b882e8c5d29a071203c6b8f2.jpgb2f3c543-78d0-4d13-bd12-bb4342a31087.jpg.c78b3378895768bbbc2a252937f68b46.jpg

I also love the settei's for which i've collected a few (maybe that's an understatement), but do you know anything on their backstory? From my understanding they are not one of a kind, do know other tidbits of information on settei's?

yes, the Bandai Hi-Metal boxart for the VF-1A is also from Yuji Kaida...I know I have the book containing that image, but heck if I can find it at this time...I can post it later if anyone is interested in getting the book...

The second image is a Hidetaka Tenjin if I am not mistaken....he is currently engaged in an epic rollout of boxart illustrations for Bandai's awesome HM-R line....unfortunately, AFAIK, most of that work is digital....so the only physical artwork you will find from Tenjin would be hand-drawn sketches....like this....

gallery_12176_600_4023775.jpg

I have some settei sets...most are going to be copies of copies....they basically are the character and mecha sheets used by the animators to guide them when drawinging them onto the animation cels...or via computer animation these days i suppose....they are nice, but most of the art, at least from the Macross setteis i have seen, can be found in the various macross books....

Are those the Macross settei that were sold on ebay some time ago?  If you bought all of those then you paid a small fortune...congrats!  They are awesome!

23 hours ago, Oden said:

"The ones that got away" I completely miss this YJ auction for The Macross IMAI Box Art by Yoshiyuki Takani back in 2011. They went from between $500 to $3000, those were the good old days.

Is there a lucky soul on here who happened to grab a few of these?

Has anyone seen the Bandai, Takatoko, and ARII box art up for auction anywhere?

Thanks for that. I never saw these before either. The sale was a bit before I joined up and I was only checking the forum on occasion. Like every quarter or so. And more for toy and news of upcoming anime shows mostly.

I wasn't even thinking about getting one of a kind original box art. I don't think it crossed my mind. Those are some nice pieces for people who also have those models.

19 hours ago, Oden said:

This link works. Nice to see some Southern Cross and Mospeada cels too. I guess you are my competition. Did you see the Mospeada sketches on Yahoo Japan?

21 hours ago, jvmacross said:

yes, the Bandai Hi-Metal boxart for the VF-1A is also from Yuji Kaida...I know I have the book containing that image, but heck if I can find it at this time...I can post it later if anyone is interested in getting the book...

The second image is a Hidetaka Tenjin if I am not mistaken....he is currently engaged in an epic rollout of boxart illustrations for Bandai's awesome HM-R line....unfortunately, AFAIK, most of that work is digital....so the only physical artwork you will find from Tenjin would be hand-drawn sketches....like this....

gallery_12176_600_4023775.jpg

I have some settei sets...most are going to be copies of copies....they basically are the character and mecha sheets used by the animators to guide them when drawinging them onto the animation cels...or via computer animation these days i suppose....they are nice, but most of the art, at least from the Macross setteis i have seen, can be found in the various macross books....

Are those the Macross settei that were sold on ebay some time ago?  If you bought all of those then you paid a small fortune...congrats!  They are awesome!

Yes I purchased them through eBay, i believe 2011 or there about if I'm not mistaken. Definitely put a dent in my wallet that month, hahaha.

2 hours ago, JetJockey said:

This link works. Nice to see some Southern Cross and Mospeada cels too. I guess you are my competition. Did you see the Mospeada sketches on Yahoo Japan?

JetJockey, Yes I saw the Mospeada sketches on YJ, but i'm "trying" to be more selective in my collecting these days. How about you, any interest in those?

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j516871064

What was your RS gallery name?

21 minutes ago, Mokman said:

I see there are a number of Macross cels up in the BWA.  I don't care very much for any of them but I see the Misa is getting some action.

Its seems Misa cels are in getting exceptional interest these days based on the auction closing prices and number of bids. I've wondered if this was due to the local Japanese demand or from international buyers (like ourselves).

26 minutes ago, Oden said:

Its seems Misa cels are in getting exceptional interest these days based on the auction closing prices and number of bids. I've wondered if this was due to the local Japanese demand or from international buyers (like ourselves).

Guessing from recent auctions it is most likely international buyers.....Mandarake auctions usually end up higher than YJA...unless it is being bid on by some Rinkya fools....LOL

2 hours ago, Oden said:

JetJockey, Yes I saw the Mospeada sketches on YJ, but i'm "trying" to be more selective in my collecting these days. How about you, any interest in those?

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j516871064

What was your RS gallery name?

I thought about some of the Rook ones. But I ended up using the money towards a bigger win earlier. No rubberslug gallery but I'll post that big win along with some stuff coming out next year in a topic here.

10 minutes ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Anyone see on ebay two identical DYRL cels being sold by two different sellers using the same images, but listing at two different prices? :lol: Nice attempt to artificially inflate prices.

LOL...have a link?  Let's investigate these shenanigans and expose them! :)