Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

25 minutes ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Indeed. Looks like the same deadbeat seller is still trying to fraudulantly pass off a counterfeit as authentic. Looks like this cockroach is trying to capitalize on the naivite of some buyers.

Buyer beware I suppose

@ elrdf:  As a new cel collector you may not know this but deputy services cannot do anything regarding bad sellers on YJA.  It is not their problem or in their interest to police and/or enforce against counterfeiters.  If you enter the collecting world the onus is on you to conduct your own due diligence.

4 minutes ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

@ elrdf:  As a new cel collector you may not know this but deputy services cannot do anything regarding bad sellers on YJA.  It is not their problem or in their interest to police and/or enforce against counterfeiters.  If you enter the collecting world the onus is on you to conduct your own due diligence.

Agreed and that is what I do. Thanks, hopefully I'll get some help with figuring out how to get  a background copy of that shot above for a cel I want to frame.

No one will provide you matching backgrounds or help you obtain one; you need to do all the work yourself.  If you really want a matching background color copy for any cel, you need to match it up to the precise shot and test screen captures.  You will still need to make adjustments in photoshop or another editor and test printing high end color copies on the right type of paper.  All of this is laborious and may not be worth it if you a) have not learned how to properly preserve artworks, b) are happy using a non-matching background, or c) do not care to invest more time and monies when no background suffices.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

One thing that is odd is how did the counterfeiters remove the pre-printed signatures?  JVMacross don't you own these reproduction coloring cel kits?  Is it relatively easy to remove the signatures?

it would be simple to just trace it onto a new cel sheet....that is what is done by that fan cel artist on eBay....basically the "pre-paint" sheets look like this....

i-img1200x900-1529056184gopaqx1006028.jp

i-img1200x900-1529055909v2em271037474.jp

Wonder if this one from AnimeLink was a fake?.....

mac210.jpeg

Edited by jvmacross

Hmm it is plausable for the counterfeiters to create their own tracelines.  But it would make more sense to do reproductions for most memorable scenes or even hankens.  This most recent batch were fairly obviously non-production cels from the same shots as the paint-it yourself sets.  As for the recently sold cel from AL it is authentic.

5 minutes ago, Oden said:

I remember seeing those cels up for auction somewhere before in the not so distant past. Does anyone recall?

They were on Yahoo Japan at the beginning of the year.  The auction contained six cels - these were the two best. The lot went for roughly 1000 USD.  The ebay treasure hunter is looking to turn a nice profit...

1 minute ago, jvmacross said:

It only takes one person to prove the seller right...  

Macross was guilty of poor illustration at times. Seeing this image reminds me of that. There are some really great shots of Milia. This isn't one of them.  The scene is significant, though. And there's the conundrum, collect well illustrated images or important images. Sometimes the important ones are poor visual examples of the character.

Nah, this dude is simply not cool. If you get a cel for 70 and resell it for 200-250 I understand it's cool but 380? The Japanese sell stuff at SUCH  high price for example Yngwie strats that you can buy in USA for like 1,600 new they would sell for like 3-4k. their culture is different too no bargaining etc.. Anyways, is Urban Japanese where is he in canada or japan? I tried to buy from him before he NEVER responds to ANY messages.

Urbantreasurehunterjapan (UTHJ) is the recipient of countless jokes and the focus of massive disdain among cel collectors.  He operates out of Japan but his English is terrible and he does not bother to communicate; so do not waste your energy.  This seller is the definition of a price gouger; he absolutely does not care about the cel and artwork communities he harms.  He is a prime example of what is wrong with this hobby when he deliberately flips artwork with mark ups exceeding 300%.  Sadly it just takes one buyer to support his practices.  I've encountered at least three collectors who purchased from UTHJ and paid excessively inflated prices.  Most are seasoned collectors so they know what he does, but unfortunately they do not care where they obtain their drug of choice as it were.  And in regards to whether or not anyone on the MW forums think UTHJ is cool, lets just say if you review the older posts you will find some users that inaccurately believe UTHJ provides a service.