1/48+FP's, 1/60, and 1/72 picture gallery

VF-18S Hornet

My edited Yamato 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru with dual strike cannons, 8 nukes, and two gunpods.

Nice, but I think it needs more firepower! LOL!

379156[/snapback]

Dual strike in batroid mode looks totally badass. I'm starting to like all the nukes too! :p

My edited Yamato 1/48 VF-1S Hikaru with dual strike cannons, 8 nukes, and two gunpods.

Nice, but I think it needs more firepower! LOL!

379156[/snapback]

Dual strike in batroid mode looks totally badass. I'm starting to like all the nukes too! :p

379194[/snapback]

The only thing that I think could top that would be a valk with the GBP armour, dual strike cannons, and two gun pods. I'd say that's about as much fire power as you can cram on a single valk.

Alright, another two. The base image (the valk in the pic) is actually a pic I snagged from one of the custom pages here. I can't remember whose it was, so I apologize for not giving credit. But all I wanted was a pic of a low viz. Please don't hate me too much. :p

Lowvizart1copy2.jpg

Lowvizart2copy2.jpg

Edited by CdnShockwave

These are my first 2 Yamatos and my first 2 panel lining jobs. After reading stuff on the forum here I got a lot of good advice. I decided to use a 0.3 mechanical pencil.

I did the VF-1S first and made sure I got some nice dark lines and I made sure to outline everything. On the VF-1J I decided to do it a little differently, I just did a very light lining on the panels and left some areas unlined. I really like the slight contrast between the VF-1S and the VF-1J, the VF-1S looks a little older like its had more flight time with the darker lines compared to the light lining if the VF-1J.

After reading stuff on the forum here I got a lot of good advice. I decided to use a 0.3 mechanical pencil.

0.3 mechanical pencil B))B))B)) -- ghostryder's personal choice for klutzy wannabe modelers with little to no spare time. Your panel job looks better than mine!

The 0.3 pencil works really well if you do it right. The trick I used to keep it clean and prevent rubbing smudges everywhere is just using enough to bring out the panel line. On the VF-1J I used it very softly so there was no extra graphite that would have to be rubbed off or smudge later.

You can't use too much and you can't get really dark black panel lines with it without smudging, but that's ok because that wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted the panel lines to show all the detail, but not stand out. Also the 0.3 is so precise, since I don't have the money to buy more 1/48s I didn't want to take the chance of anything touching, smudging or even slightly discoloring the white plastic. I really wanted to make sure that the pure plastic color shows through perfectly that's why I didn't use any type of paint or wash. And the fact that it is so easy and took about 2 hours. I paint a lot of miniatures for Warhammer 40K, some of them are quite good and take upwards of 20 hours, but on the Yamatos I didn't want anything to discolor the pure plastic.

The 0.3 pencil works really well if you do it right. The trick I used to keep it clean and prevent rubbing smudges everywhere is just using enough to bring out the panel line. On the VF-1J I used it very softly so there was no extra graphite that would have to be rubbed off or smudge later.

You can't use too much and you can't get really dark black panel lines with it without smudging, but that's ok because that wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted the panel lines to show all the detail, but not stand out. Also the 0.3 is so precise, since I don't have the money to buy more 1/48s I didn't want to take the chance of anything touching, smudging or even slightly discoloring the white plastic. I really wanted to make sure that the pure plastic color shows through perfectly that's why I didn't use any type of paint or wash. And the fact that it is so easy and took about 2 hours. I paint a lot of miniatures for Warhammer 40K, some of them are quite good and take upwards of 20 hours, but on the Yamatos I didn't want anything to discolor the pure plastic.

379929[/snapback]

I've always wanted to try the mechanical pencil technique but was alwasy dubious that the extra graphite will cause it to smudge, or you just need a little and it would smudge all over the place when handling the toy. Did you use some kind of clear coat to seal the seam lines?

hmmmm....mechanical pencils??? wonder if it needs top coat for it???

379977[/snapback]

I haven't had any problems with smudging using a 0.3mm pencil, and I play with my valks. You can lessen the chance of smudging by using a harder lead (ie 2H vs HB), and keeping a sharp point. The panels lines on 1/48s are deep enough so running your fingers over it won't affect the pencil lead.

Here's some leaded and oft-transformed valks:

post-3171-1142300295_thumb.jpg

post-3171-1142300309_thumb.jpg

Edited by ghostryder

I handle mine all the time as well. As long as you don't use too much graphite it won't smudge unless water or something gets down into the seem. The moisture from your hands is not enough to seep down into the seems causing it to smudge as long as you don't use too much graphite. Also the seems are deep enough that the graphite won't easily come out as ghostryder said.

The only negative I have found with the 0.3 pencil is that you can't really make extremely dark panel lines without the risk of the graphite getting everywhere, but for subtle panel lines it is very safe.

Cool! Thanks for the tip. I only had my VF-1S roy done with a gundam marker and it was quite a harrowing experience. Apply gundam marker. Rub with rubber. And repeat.

And there are some problem areas where the panel lines are shallow like the VF-1S laser antennae and its neck area, where the pen keeps getting off the line and you can't rub it and leave the panelled lines there either.

Alright, two fresh ones. These aren't my valks, they're edited pix of the VF-1S Enigma Super/Strike Custom by Majestic. I snagged the pic without permission, but I'm giving the guy credit, so cut me some slack. I just wanted to make something cool for the eyes

UN Spacy recruiting poster:

Lowvizart4copy.jpg

My attempt at adding missiles:

Lowvizart3copy.jpg

I thought recruiting posters needed sexy pin-up girls, preferably with boobies? :lol:

Sorry. Can't resist.

380438[/snapback]

True, but who can't resist a giant transforming ass kicking robot flying in space?

380445[/snapback]

The incentive : You will be able to fly in one of these

reaction : Sign me up now! Yes Now!