YF-19 and SV-51 for radio control

Splash

If he could get a working gerwalk out f it that wuld be scary. but in this versin its impossible. All the electronics and servos are where the VTOL fans are located behind the cockpit. That would be a sight at an RC airshow though. Once gerwalk is figured out it wouldnt be to far a stretch fr battroid either.

The SV committed aviation today...(!!!) (WOOHOO!)

Flew very well, somewhat underpowered, but excellent control, which proves I've nailed all the problems the last one had. Got to use the thrust-vector, to get out of a stall... Knocked one of the downward swept tipfins off on landing, but otherwise, zero damage. (Quite different from the balsa proto, eh? )

Video will be forthcoming.

Sean, I'll be switching over to a more powerful set of motors and batteries, so everything's on-track, dev. wise... I'll commence work on your ship again, now that I know the aerodynamic configuration is A-OK. Just wait 'til the 'it won't fly' fellow sees this. :D

~Luke

post-3133-1146926348_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1146926353_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1146926358_thumb.jpg

Gerwalk I can see, full Battroid? I don't know.

Of course, anybody willing to get me a couple Wren turbines, and a few thousand dollars worth of stability augmentation systems, and I'll give it a go. :D

~Luke

FRACK ME WITH A FORK! :o Luke i cannot wait to take delivery of mine. My wife saw the vid and she was impressed. That is WAY more manuverable than the first. I also noticed a few times that it turned inside its length on a few banks. This will impress. Also its actually an easy airframe to keep track of direction since it has such an unusual fuselage. The brick has been shat ill tell you that much.

BTW: The triumphant music in the video really gives a feeling of accomplishment about the project.

Edited by HWR MKII

Yes, I was quite pleased. It's a easy thing to fly, though a bit more power would make it a whole lot easier. (Particularly at launch and landing.) Very well behaved overall, though.

And no mistaking it for anything but an SV-51!

~Luke

Glad you guys like it!

I do believe I've got a solution for the underpowered issue:

I'm looking at a battery that's 0.33 oz. lighter, yet has better output, and motors that should give an extra oz. of thrust, plus 5-10 MPH more airspeed, for the same weight. Current draw will go up, improving the power loading as well.

Then maybe Sean can get a full loadout under the wings. "F-14, discover the power of 24 micro-missiles!" ;)

~Luke

I was actually thinking of making some lightweight tearaway weapons pods for it out of some light paper or something. Id like to get used to flying it "slick" first. I can still utmanuver the 14s though. Its also twice the size of them.

Yeah they are fixed wing and external propeller. I think they make them "in house" with their own equipment. The ones i saw loked like they were made of regular styrofoam. A little clunky but they flew. I also know of someone who has a foam one like the foam you used but the wings are still fixed its abut 2/3 the size of the sv. From what i see around here the SV-51 would be considered LARGE for a park flyer. The largest park one i have seen is 1/32 scale at the most.

Ye Gods!

That video is great, the audio was pompus but who cares! :D Shes got some sweet manuverability and I totally thought you were gonna crash & burn when you scrubbed to much speed on that one turn! The ending really is telling on just how much vectoring power you have. Man if they were engines & battery's of higher power to weight ratios you could pull off a VTOL! Does it have the power to tailstand hover? Also have you done the calculations on the scale speed?

Edited by chrono

Yes, that turn spooked me. I pulled just a bit much elevator, after banking. All the same, it shows that with a bit more power, I should be able to do some really tight maneuvers.

VTOL/tailstands aren't going to possible, even with the more powerful systems. I'm hoping for 7-8 oz. of thrust, at 12.5 oz., AUW.

Hey, waddyatalkinabout, what's wrong with the soundtrack?! :D :D I was originally going to pull some audio from Mac. Zero, but I couldn't find a sufficiently fast torrent. (Couldn't find a soundtrack snip, either.)

~Luke

I finally watched M-0 today.

Not much impressed by the story, I liked M+ much better. But the combat was great! :D

The high-alpha fight between Nora and Shin at the end of the 5th installment is the sort of thing I wish I could get the models to do. Once upgraded, I may have to find out just how good the thrust-vector system is. ;)

I did find out there's a way to get 20 oz. of thrust on the SV... Flight time decreases to ~4 minutes, but... That would probably be about the most thrilling 4 minutes of flight I can imagine.

Hard on both motors and batteries, though, so not really a good solution, in terms of reliability.

The upgrade config. I'm planning on using should provide 7, maybe 8 oz. of thrust, and flight times of ~8 minutes, with some throttle management. This should be a whole lot better, in terms of power reserves.

~Luke

The music is a Hans Zimmer piece...  I don't know the name, but I'm guessing it was a movie soundtrack.  Possibly Gladiator?

~Luke

397567[/snapback]

it's the theme to Crimson Tide.

WOW! That's incredible, well done!

With what you have accompolished already, I can't tell if you're joking anymore. I showed your clip to my work mates (they know nothing about Macross or Fighter planes) but they simply freaked out. You should be the Prime Minister of our country or at least the Defence Minister!!! :o

The high-alpha fight between Nora and Shin at the end of the 5th installment is the sort of thing I wish I could get the models to do.  Once upgraded, I may have to find out just how good the thrust-vector system is. ;)

~Luke

397622[/snapback]

Edited by Mowe

I showed it to my coworker(the deadsticker) and he is afraid to touch it. I wouldnt let him anyway. It looks like for all the manuverability it has the actual airframe is very forgiving. Also the canards and VT allow more opportunity to get out of stall conditions.

Yes, as long as you have the motors running, you'll have some control, at least. Now, if I had a better radio, I could add differential thrust, so even at zero airspeed, I'd have pitch, roll and yaw. But pitch and roll is typically enough to get out of sticky situations.

I'm planning on pushing the envelope, slowly but surely. Because it is a forgiving airframe in terms of stall recovery, etc., I really do want to see how it behaves in very-low-airspeed flight. This is where you're falling, and still maneuvering, as per Shin/Nora. Starting at a high enough altitude, I may be able to get in a few good maneuvers before having to start up with normal flying again.

I'd like to be Defense Minister... Where do I submit my resume..? :D

~Luke

Luke come on ill need time to recover from the purchase of the SV :D

Give me about a year and make it a VF-0S or A and you gt a deal

BTW the VF-0D isnt bad either and probably much easier t make fly. Contemplating gerwalk too from the look of it.

HEHE.

The SV just looked too neat in gerwalk. However, I ran some really quick thrust vector figures, and from a flying standpoint, it looks bad... The legs are always swept forwards in gerwalk mode, which means that the plane would tend to fly backwards. (Of course, if I drop the legs straight down, it doesn't have 'the look'... Pretty much counter-productive, since this is all about looks.)

The VF-0D is a good candidate for the ducted fan/thrust-vector treatment. The other variants unfortunately are rather short on wing, meaning that they would probably have to be pusher-prop designs. (No thrust vector.)

Of course, the other option is to scale them up. They're only short on wing if they're the same scale as the SV.

Anyway, that's all in the future, sometime, if ever. ;)

~Luke