Questions about Microsol produts

Chas

Hi all. Is it neccessary to use both microset and microsol on decals to get the 'painted on' look or will just one of these suffice? and if so which one? Also are there any known issues with either of these products damaging canopies?

Thanks in advance for you responses.

Charles.

Hi Charles,

Short answer, no, you don't need to use both. Microset is a glue and only needs to

be used if the glue on the decal isn't very good. Microsol is a solution that softens

decals and helps them "snuggle" down over irregular surfaces. As near as I can

tell, Microsol is similar to white vinegar. The important step is to make sure you

have a good gloss coat down before putting on your decals, to help eliminate

silvering. Also, don't worry if the decal looks "crinkley" when you are doing this.

When the decal dries, it flattens out nicely.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't think either product should harm a canopy,

but once again I would dip it in Future (or its non-American equivilent) for added

protection. That way, if anything gets screwed up, you can strip off the Future with

some amonia and start over. I am ONLY talking about doing this on the canopy,

not a completed model.

If you are feeling really brave, members of my modeling club have been talking

about a different technique. Gloss coat your model with Future, and then when

applying the decals, put a coat of Future on top of the decal with a brush. The

fresh Future will disolve the Future underneath, and when it all dries, it acts the

same as using a decal solvent. Haven't tried it myself yet, so proceed with caution.

Hope this helps.

Later

Mike

Thanks guys. I was wondering, because I tried using just microsol and still got some silvering, and didn't know if it was because I didn't use it with the microset or some other reason. I can see now that I probably didn't have a sufficient coat of future on the model. As for the canopy I didn't think it would any harm just being cautious as I've already lost one canopy.

Anyway, thanks for your help. It is much appreciated :D

Charles.

Thanks guys. I was wondering, because I tried using just microsol and still got some silvering, and didn't know if it was because I didn't use it with the microset or some other reason. I can see now that I probably didn't have a sufficient coat of future on the model. As for the canopy I didn't think it would any harm just being cautious as I've already lost one canopy.

Anyway, thanks for your help. It is much appreciated :D

Charles.

311649[/snapback]

Mr. mark setter is all I use, Microset its just vinegar, you need to have a gloss surface to avoid silvering.

Pay attention that microsol can arm acrylics, Don't know why but it happened once. :angry:

The gloss coat needs to be good and smooth to avoid silvering. Might take more than one coat to acheve this.

Well I am using future for the gloss coat and applying it with conventional brushes, so that might explain why I got some silvering in certain areas.

Oh well 'Live and Learn' as they say. ;)

Well I am using future for the gloss coat and applying it with conventional brushes, so that might explain why I got some silvering in certain areas.

Oh well  'Live and Learn' as they say. ;)

312195[/snapback]

I do it that way too. Future smooths its self out really well when brushed on. I found that the thicker coat helps get the really glossy surface.

Are you pressing the decals down once they are in place? I find that helps a bit.

Edited by Mule

Yeah, I am pressing them down but I was trying to make the coat of future as thin as possible to avoid it going on unevenly. I think your tips will solve my problem. Thanks. :)