• 4 weeks later...

One of the names doing the rounds is Robert Carlyle; the only problem I'd have with that is that it would completely remove any sense of threat. Even the Daleks would poop themselves. ("EX-TERM-I-NATE THE DOC - wait, you mean its that guy our of Cracker and that Bond film?! Er... LOVE AND PEACE TO THE DALEKS! PLEASE DON'T HURT US...") :)

I think the only thing we can be reasonably sure of is that - ahem - Whoever it is will probably not be a generally known name. Maybe someone who has starred in a high-budget production but not a "household" name.

Edit: YouTubers might wish to search for clips of Tom Baker, who hosted the popular British satirical programme, "Have I Got News For You" last night. He introduced himself with the magnificent line "Hello, I used to be Jon Pertwee... "

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Edit: YouTubers might wish to search for clips of Tom Baker, who hosted the popular British satirical programme, "Have I Got News For You" last night. He introduced himself with the magnificent line "Hello, I used to be Jon Pertwee... "

Thanks for the heads up on that, appreciated.

Taksraven

One of the names doing the rounds is Robert Carlyle; the only problem I'd have with that is that it would completely remove any sense of threat. Even the Daleks would poop themselves. ("EX-TERM-I-NATE THE DOC - wait, you mean its that guy our of Cracker and that Bond film?! Er... LOVE AND PEACE TO THE DALEKS! PLEASE DON'T HURT US...") :)

I think the only thing we can be reasonably sure of is that - ahem - Whoever it is will probably not be a generally known name. Maybe someone who has starred in a high-budget production but not a "household" name.

Hmm, that might fit River Song's description of "her Doctor" in "Silence in the Library."

Edited by Kelsain

You're welcome. Tom Baler seems to be getting bigger every year - not fat, just big. :)

Well, he has always been larger than life anyway. Ever read his autobiography "Who on earth is Tom Baker"? Its deranged and scary.

Taksraven

Well, he has always been larger than life anyway. Ever read his autobiography "Who on earth is Tom Baker"? Its deranged and scary.

Taksraven

Haven't read it, but I need no convincing whatsoever about the deranged and scary part. :) Though I have to say, the one very brief minute I got to meet him once he was charm itself.

Haven't read it, but I need no convincing whatsoever about the deranged and scary part. :) Though I have to say, the one very brief minute I got to meet him once he was charm itself.

Don't worry, I have no doubts that he is a charming man, but the early stages of his life certainly sound like they were very difficult, culminating in the scariest part of the book where he details a suicide attempt. Even though he doesn't really say it in so many words, I think being cast as Doctor Who probably saved his life. He was working as a builder when he was cast, and I think that speaks volumes.

As for who would make a good Who now, its hard to say. I certainly think that Robert Carlyle would be great but I suspect that he may be a little bit too old now. I think that the days of older men playing the Doctor are now long gone.

Taksraven

I think Russell T. Davies said recently that it has to be someone younger these days, as the production schedule and increased pace of episodes would kill an older person. :)

I forgot to mention, that in the same TV awards where Tennant announced he was leaving, Doctor Who won best drama and best actor (go on, guess which one) but somewhat annoyingly, the best actor and actress categories were merged, which meant that Catherine Tate and David Tennant were effectively competing against each other - I felt that was a bit hard on Tate...

Edit: its not too late to vote - there is a third option...!

http://www.pvponline.com/comics/pvp20081104.gif

:lol:

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I think Russell T. Davies said recently that it has to be someone younger these days, as the production schedule and increased pace of episodes would kill an older person. :)

I forgot to mention, that in the same TV awards where Tennant announced he was leaving, Doctor Who won best drama and best actor (go on, guess which one) but somewhat annoyingly, the best actor and actress categories were merged, which meant that Catherine Tate and David Tennant were effectively competing against each other - I felt that was a bit hard on Tate...

Edit: its not too late to vote - there is a third option...!

http://www.pvponline.com/comics/pvp20081104.gif

I'd vote for the doc ;)

If we're going that route, theres only one member of the Top Gear cast I would like to see in the TARDIS.

Some say that he bites the heads off life-size jelly babies...

Some say that hes bigger on the inside...

...all we know is... :)

The Daleks would definately run from him.

• 2 weeks later...

David Tennant fans might be interested in the forthcoming HBO/BBC co-production " Einstein and Eddington", which stars Tennant as British scientist Sir Arthur Eddington and somewhat improbably, Gollum - er, I mean, Andy Serkis - as Einstein. Its due to be broadcast in the UK on the 22nd November.

Also, there was a two minute preview of the forthcoming Christmas Special during the BBCs Children in Need telethon this evening. Its probably already circulating, but be warned theres some big spoilers in it...

Is it just me or does that "Cyberman" look like some kind of fake. Part of a con.

I thouht it was that Cybershade thingys but second time around it looked decidedly cheap.

Also, kind of dissapointed that it looks as though they ARE going in the same direction as "The One doctor".

The idea of "Pete's world's Doctor seemed interesting. Though that opens up all other sorts of cans of worms.

Is it just me or does that "Cyberman" look like some kind of fake. Part of a con.

I thouht it was that Cybershade thingys but second time around it looked decidedly cheap.

Also, kind of dissapointed that it looks as though they ARE going in the same direction as "The One doctor".

The idea of "Pete's world's Doctor seemed interesting. Though that opens up all other sorts of cans of worms.

It all looked very strange. Guess we will have to wait to see the whole thing. Only just over a month to go, YAY!!

Taksraven

Today's the 45th Anniversary of Doctor Who and no one even gives a shout-out?

You disappoint me, Taksraven.

Bah, there are times when I have bigger fish to fry. Didn't know that you lurked on this thread, Gubaba.

Ok, so yeah, 45th anniversary. I dunno. I guess that the 45th anniversary is a bit anti-climactic compared to the 50th anniversary in five years time. The other problem is the fact that I so clearly remember the 20th anniversary that was a big deal when I was a teenager, so like a lot of things it only reminds me of how much older I am getting.

Anyway, enough boring crap about me. What I really wanted to talk about was the release of the 4th series on DVD.

Generally, a bit of a disappointment. As most are aware these season releases have been getting more pedestrian and mundane with each year, content and packaging wise, especially after the great packaging of the first two seasons. I don't mind the downgraded packaging TOO much but the fact that the content is nowhere as interesting is a big disappointment. There are much fewer extras now, mainly just consisting of video diaries and a few deleted scenes. Not much behind the scene's stuff or anything else like that.

I think that the way they could solve the problems with these releases would be to include the FULL versions of the Confidential episodes. The cutdown versions they include in these sets are simply a joke, especially when compared to the complete versions. Admittedly, I have all of the complete Confidentials downloaded anyway but I still think that they should be included in these releases, especially to benefit those who may not be able to download the full episodes.

As for the 4th series itself, its alright but I still think that the previous seasons had better content overall as well as far superior concluding episodes. The two parter at the end of Season four really does feel like it is just tying up the loose ends from the previous three seasons. And not enough time is given to a certain returning villian. (Oh, and by the way, if you don't know who I am talking about, don't worry, you will find out long before you see the episode itself, with the man in question plastered on the box and on the DVD's themselves.

Get it anyway, most diehards will.

Taksraven

Hot off the rumor mill. Apparently one of the lead contenders for the role of the next doctor is an actor named Paterson Joseph. Look him up and you will see why this could cause a stir if he did get it. I personally think that he could be brilliant.

Taksraven.

He is a good actor and is certainly in the lime light at the moment being one of the stars in the Survivors drama just started on the BBC.

Hes gritty and would proably be a hard ass Dr

dalek1 " halt or you will be exterminated!!"

dalek2 " his out line resembles the enemy of the daleks.. it is the Dr ?!"

dalek1 "you are correct.....!!!!"

dalek3 " run away run away........!"

Edited by big F

He also starred in the BBC TV series Jekyll (scripted by some hack called Moffat, whatever happened to him? :) ), though apparently its not one of his better performances, suffering from the curse of Hiring A British Guy To Play An American (the trans-Atlantic equivalent is Hiring An Australian To Play A British Guy)... :lol:

If we're going that route, theres only one member of the Top Gear cast I would like to see in the TARDIS.

Some say that he bites the heads off life-size jelly babies...

Some say that hes bigger on the inside...

...all we know is... :)

The Stig would be f'n awesome as the Doctor!!!!

LOL!!!!!

The Stig would be f'n awesome as the Doctor!!!!

LOL!!!!!

OK, if we were to go down that path I would rather see THE GIMP as the Doctor. At least he would be more vocal. (Screams and whines, that is)

Taksraven

• 2 weeks later...
Seems that whoever the next Who is, it won't be Robert Carlyle:

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/12/robert-carlyle.html

Daleks everywhere breathe a sigh of relief, Goa'uld start bricking themselves. :lol:

LOL

Looks like the readers of the forum are not best pleased, shame that most of them have never heard of him despite his being in 20 or so films and T.V dramas including James Bond, Cracker, 28 weeks later and also the great film Trainspotting.

LOL

Looks like the readers of the forum are not best pleased, shame that most of them have never heard of him despite his being in 20 or so films and T.V dramas including James Bond, Cracker, 28 weeks later and also the great film Trainspotting.

Not surprised at all by this news. I think that he would have made a good doctor if they had been unable to get Chris Eccleston for the start of the revival but now I think he would look WAY too old compared to David Tennant.

Taksraven