I'm jealous. ;) I haven't had the chance to meet anyone noteworthy (never mind an actor from a favorite childhood show).

I imagine the real Tom Baker has as much presence off screen as he does on.

Oh, yes, he does. :) I only met him very briefly, at a memorabilia event, but although we only exchanged a few words I got every impression of that.

What I do kick myself about is that sat right next to him was The Brigadier himself, Nicolas Courtney but at that time I didn't really know the character that well (I knew of him, I just hadn't seen him on-screen much as my Who experiences really started with the Fifth). He sadly passed away not long afterwards and its only recently, after a UK channel started re-running classic episodes that I've got to know and love the character; I really regret now not taking the opportunity when I had it to meet him.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

That is what I meant by the Doctor being preachy. Trying to connect it with current issues.

When the UNIT Commander lady told him that their plan was to attack the bad guy faction's camp his reaction was "do that and all of them will be against you" or something like that. Instead I think he want to talk. If they attack you and your response is to open a dialog that's showing every invader in outer space this is how you get what you want.

I could go on but I'm already too close to breaking our no politics rule. I just think the episode was too preachy without taking a realistic look at both sides. Maybe the 2nd part will do that.

That is what I meant by the Doctor being preachy. Trying to connect it with current issues.

When the UNIT Commander lady told him that their plan was to attack the bad guy faction's camp his reaction was "do that and all of them will be against you" or something like that. Instead I think he want to talk. If they attack you and your response is to open a dialog that's showing every invader in outer space this is how you get what you want.

I could go on but I'm already too close to breaking our no politics rule. I just think the episode was too preachy without taking a realistic look at both sides. Maybe the 2nd part will do that.

I get what you're saying. I must have missed that line of the Doctor's when watching it this weekend. Or maybe I'm too forgiving of sci-fi tropes. ;) Doctor Who does have its fair share, and you may be right about the second episode.

Personally, with the way the rebel faction is crushing UNIT, I can't help but be reminded of the episodes Dark Water and Death in Heaven from last season.

Oh, yes, he does. :) I only met him very briefly, at a memorabilia event, but although we only exchanged a few words I got every impression of that.

What I do kick myself about is that sat right next to him was The Brigadier himself, Nicolas Courtney but at that time I didn't really know the character that well (I knew of him, I just hadn't seen him on-screen much as my Who experiences really started with the Fifth). He sadly passed away not long afterwards and its only recently, after a UK channel started re-running classic episodes that I've got to know and love the character; I really regret now not taking the opportunity when I had it to meet him.

<snip>

Yes! One of my favorites.

I was trying to remember the other episode (not The Five Doctors) that Nicolas Courtney was in during Peter Davision's time as the Doctor. It finally came to me: Mawdryn Undead. I remember it being really creepy when I first watched it here in the US on public television. I was also very sad to learn of his passing not too long ago. I enjoyed his many appearances in the classic series, and had a blast watching what would be his last guest appearance in The Sarah Jane Adventures. Whereas other actors may wrestle with or try to avoid being type cast, he embraced Lethbridge-Stewart. And I have to say it again: he was great.

Brilliant episode, this week, somewhat less heavy-handed than last week... and it has, I think, the performance I've been waiting for from Twelve this whole time. Don't get me wrong, I think hes been good all the way through but I think thats going to be one of those moments that defines this particular incarnation of The Doctor.

I didn't believe Kate was a Zygon for more than thirty seconds, but I can forgive that as a set up to that one-liner.
Also, that line about "nothing good on the other side"... for those of you not residing in the UK, theres been some comment about Doctor Whos ratings, which have been knocked a bit lately, partly because its been going up against the reality show "The X Factor" on a rival channel in a similar time-slot.

We're also going to be getting some really interesting toys of this series... Doctor With A Guitar, Doctor In The Chair, Doctor With A Guitar And A Tank, Clara-In-A-Pod...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Brilliant episode, this week, somewhat less heavy-handed than last week... and it has, I think, the performance I've been waiting for from Twelve this whole time. Don't get me wrong, I think hes been good all the way through but I think thats going to be one of those moments that defines this particular incarnation of The Doctor.

I didn't believe Kate was a Zygon for more than thirty seconds, but I can forgive that as a set up to that one-liner.

Also, that line about "nothing good on the other side"... for those of you not residing in the UK, theres been some comment about Doctor Whos ratings, which have been knocked a bit lately, partly because its been going up against the reality show "The X Factor" on a rival channel in a similar time-slot.

We're also going to be getting some really interesting toys of this series... Doctor With A Guitar, Doctor In The Chair, Doctor With A Guitar And A Tank, Clara-In-A-Pod...

You must be from across the pond, huh? We're still several hours away from it showing here in the US.

Edited by Mommar

It was the frequent references to tea that give it away, wasn't it, chaps? :)

Hope I didn't spoil anything for anyone, apologies if I did.

You didn't spoil anything, we're just a bit behind is all. But I'll be happy to respond to it in four hours.

Whoever researched TorC got the State patch correct with the Zia symbol but appears to have got EVERYTHING else wrong. No state cop wears a Mexican flag. I think somewhere they mixed up Mexico and New Mexico. Also, no palm trees in TorC.

Edited by Mommar

I don't know how into 90"s brit popźpunk /eurodisco you guys wre, but "Doctor John Disco" is a reference to John Disco member of the Scottish band Bis (one of my fave bands).

Edited by Keith

Moffats basically not even trying to hide the fanservice now, is he? :)

There has been some comment that the Doctors response only works if

the Zygons essentially become human and their culture is completely assimilated until such time as humans are prepared to live with sentient warty red rubber novelty phone protectors

, which I think is a fair point; Capaldis performance is so good in that scene that you don't really consider that at the time.

Whoever researched TorC got the State patch correct with the Zia symbol but appears to have got EVERYTHING else wrong. No state cop wears a Mexican flag. I think somewhere they mixed up Mexico and New Mexico. Also, no palm trees in TorC.

When I saw the steering wheel was on the correct side of the car I was happy, all else was gravy after that.

"Five Rounds Rapid", loved that line.

Just watched the first 30secs of todays Doctor Who. Anyone else get a Dead Space vibe out of the opening sequence? Kinda want to replay Dead Space now.

Doom, Dead Space, any modern horror game really. Without going into any plot details I was VERY unimpressed with last night's episode. Just lame.

I didn't feel a Doom vibe beyond just having the space marines there. No aliens with pig monsters, no hell knights etc. The static-y intro, the person talking into the camera, the setting is in space, the song all scream Dead Space to me. The episode itself though, the Doctor said it best at the end.

They warned us well in advance that Ms. Coleman was leaving the show this season.

However, I have heard she was filming her last scenes for the show around the time they started filming the Christmas special so she may show up again, but Clara is dead dead.

They warned us well in advance that Ms. Coleman was leaving the show this season.

However, I have heard she was filming her last scenes for the show around the time they started filming the Christmas special so she may show up again, but Clara is dead dead.

Nothing is impossible for the Impossible Girl.

Didn't already have episode where the Doctor meets that Viking girl again only to find that she turned rotten? I'm pretty sure we did and it ended with her learning from her mistakes.

And we're back again in the same situation!?! Plus Clara makes him promise not get some pay back? Wait a minute Viking girl never learned her lesson. How many people has she killed with the magic tattoo? Time to blast her. I for one want to see an angry Doctor. It would really make the show more interesting.

How many people has she also saved with the magic tattoo as well. She is in a society where the laws are respected - and that is pretty good considering all the different enemy races packed into a single street...

Also - yes she did learn the lesson last time but as the show points out - she keeps losing memories as well. Though this time there was a much shorter time frame between the loss, I would think she would have been able to keep a hundred years or so of memories.

How many people has she also saved with the magic tattoo as well. She is in a society where the laws are respected - and that is pretty good considering all the different enemy races packed into a single street...

Also - yes she did learn the lesson last time but as the show points out - she keeps losing memories as well. Though this time there was a much shorter time frame between the loss, I would think she would have been able to keep a hundred years or so of memories.

Nah. Let's try an exercise. What were you wearing on the third date of the third guy/girl you ever went out with? Me I've no idea and I'm not even close to one hundred.

I'm good with this episode. Clara being Clara her recklessness finally caught him up to her. It fits with this seasons theme actions have consequences. Am I gonna miss her? Hell yes, she ain't no doe-y eyed Rose/Amy Pond trying to make out with the Doctor. She's more like Martha without the dejection, opinionated like Donna without the "Oi's!"and smart and sassy like Sarah Jane. Besides she'll be back when they need her. It won't be as Clara Oswin Oswald but as Paprika Girl, or Fishsticks girl or something.

I want Capaldis new companion to be something new or old. Luke Smith and the return of the tin dog?

Whoever put Ashildr up to the task made the same threat the Doctor made to her before Clara told him to stop, "Do as I say or your little community is gone". While the situation is similar, she thought she was doing the right thing this time, except when more pieces fell onto the board, i.e., Clara. Though, I would like to see The Doctor leave Me a constant reminder (not just a verbal note) that should she even think of trying something like this again.... A momento she won't forget. Something to remind her everyday of her infinite life that she is a marked woman by the Doctor.

Nah. Let's try an exercise. What were you wearing on the third date of the third guy/girl you ever went out with? Me I've no idea and I'm not even close to one hundred.

Quite a bit of difference between that and "Don't go doing evil stuff!"...

I have a feeling you know who will be back, it is not the fist time she has "died" this season.

EDIT - It has also been hinted the Doctor would break the "rules" to save her too.

Edited by Dynaman

It's amazing how much of a hypocrite this doctor is. At times he's going to lecture the violent the most, but when Clara is in trouble he's the quickest to threaten someone.

They addressed that back in "The Girl Who Died". ^_^