Best Dalek line EVER:

"WOULD - YOU - CARE - FOR - SOME - TEA??"

Quick Review

Sadly though, I thought it was a bit of a let-down and one of the weaker Dalek stories since the return of the series. The whole premise was the Daleks being full of crap and trying to help the British fight the Germans, but this pretence did not last long enough to make it interesting. In fact the pacing of the episodes was one of its major problems, especially when you consider that much of the last ten minutes of the show seemed like "padding". I think that there was a lot more scope for this episode, but somehow it was lost. There was some really great moments and the new Dalek designs generally looked good, but it could have been better.

Taksraven

Toy manufacturers:

Dalek tea maker. NOW.

:lol:

Probably going to be the first episode of Matt Smiths run thats going to really split the audience. I actually liked it quite a bit, though all the criticisms are valid. From watching the "Confidential", the writer Mark Gatiss clearly intended it to be a tribute to the days of being ten years old, holding Action Man in one hand and a plastic space gun in the other, spending the bank holiday watching "Where Eagles Dare" for the nth time. Some have suggested it should have been a two-parter, but personally I think it could have been better done as a 60 minutes special.

Still, big things next week, and also:

Why doesn't Amy remember the Daleks...?!

Just saw the first episode here in the states, short and sweet review - I like it.

As for the new Dr. acting like the old, what do people expect? About 20 times during the episode he says that the regen is not quite done yet...

Least they did not bring back the Pilot fish, and the killer Christmas tree.

So whats the betting that the Daleks will make a repeat appearance this season. The budget of making the new models must have been fairly high so I expect we will see them back in the last few episodes of the season......

Taksraven

Rewatched Eleventh Hour on Aunty last night, Karen Gillian's legs looked much better on the 50 inch telly than they did on my laptop monitor (though that's not saying much, as they weren't half bad there, either). Oh, the rest of the programme looked pretty good, too. Third time viewing that ep, still really enjoyed it. Matt Smith is quick to take to the role, bleeding leftover bits of Tennant, "regenerative trauma" and his own take on the character all into one. The "I'm the Doctor, look me up!" bit felt lifted from Forest of the Dead, but with a bit more weight to it this time as the Doctor had just demonstrated his abilities instead of just saying "lol we're in a library, read a book mate" like he did last time and the montage of clips of the previous 10 was nice.

I really liked Beast Below as well. 11 starts to come more into his own and Matt continues to do a great job of it, and it was a solid story overall. I didn't love the resolution but I didn't have as much of a problem with it as some others seemed to have reading over at Gallifrey Base and thought it was sensible overall.

Victory of the Daleks. I'm not entirely sure what to say on it yet. I enjoyed the time spent watching it, but it would benefit from another viewing to be able to judge it better. I'm not a massive Dalek fan, although a number of stories that I rather like are based on them (Genesis, Revelation and Rememberance of the Daleks). The premise is good, there's a lot of nice moments in it and, ultimately,

it's nice to see the Daleks leave somewhat intact this time instead of "being wiped out forever" again as was the standard practice under RTD

. Loved

the Daleks offering tea

. Like a lot of stories since the relaunch, it felt like it would have benefited from being a two-parter.

I wasn't a huge fan of the reworked theme tune the first time I heard it, but it seems to be growing on me a bit.

Something that seems to be a bit of a recurring theme so far

is the Doctor arriving late. First a few times with Amy, now a month late for Churchill. Maybe that's just me seeing a connection where there isn't really one, though.

So whats the betting that the Daleks will make a repeat appearance this season. The budget of making the new models must have been fairly high so I expect we will see them back in the last few episodes of the season......

I suppose it's possible we'll see them return later this year, but I'd prefer if they didn't. They were in three of the four series finales in the RTD era, a bit of variation would be nice.

That said, they don't need to be reused straight away to recoup the costs. The Beeb has been reusing the Cybus Cybermen for a few years now after all, it could be a long term investment,

Edited by Aladdin Sane

Rewatched Eleventh Hour on Aunty last night, Karen Gillian's legs looked much better on the 50 inch telly than they did on my laptop monitor (though that's not saying much, as they weren't half bad there, either).

Yeah, its funny, I don't normally consider myself to be a "leg man", but Karen certainly has a stunning pair of legs.

Oh, the rest of the programme looked pretty good, too. Third time viewing that ep, still really enjoyed it. Matt Smith is quick to take to the role, bleeding leftover bits of Tennant, "regenerative trauma" and his own take on the character all into one. The "I'm the Doctor, look me up!" bit felt lifted from Forest of the Dead, but with a bit more weight to it this time as the Doctor had just demonstrated his abilities instead of just saying "lol we're in a library, read a book mate" like he did last time and the montage of clips of the previous 10 was nice.

Yeah, the "I'm the Doctor, look me up/ fear me" has been a bit of a constant theme since the series return. Its getting a bit tedious now though and makes the character look like even more of an egomaniac than normal. I guess it does fit in with the "Doctor Who - Guardian of Earth" theme that has been in the series since 2005.

With the end of the Time Lord race I guess that he really has nothing else to do. But it does take away from his "alien-ness", the nature he had in his Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker incarnations in particular, where you knew that there were times when the human race did piss him off. (The best example being at the end of The Silurians)

I really liked Beast Below as well. 11 starts to come more into his own and Matt continues to do a great job of it, and it was a solid story overall. I didn't love the resolution but I didn't have as much of a problem with it as some others seemed to have reading over at Gallifrey Base and thought it was sensible overall.

As I have noted before, I cant stand those forums, they are one of the biggest bunches of nit-picking, over analysing losers

in all of SF fandom. I think that a lot of them are getting to be worse than Trek fans. (and to me the attraction was once that Who fans were generally more moderate than the die-hard Trek Nazi's.) I can be critical of Who when I want to, but the way some of them over there carry on you wonder why they watch it at all since they seem to hate it so much.

Victory of the Daleks. I'm not entirely sure what to say on it yet. I enjoyed the time spent watching it, but it would benefit from another viewing to be able to judge it better. I'm not a massive Dalek fan, although a number of stories that I rather like are based on them (Genesis, Revelation and Rememberance of the Daleks). The premise is good, there's a lot of nice moments in it and, ultimately,

it's nice to see the Daleks leave somewhat intact this time instead of "being wiped out forever" again as was the standard practice under RTD

. Loved

the Daleks offering tea

. Like a lot of stories since the relaunch, it felt like it would have benefited from being a two-parter.

I wasn't a huge fan of the reworked theme tune the first time I heard it, but it seems to be growing on me a bit.

It reminded me of Revelation of the Daleks quite a lot, especially with the anti-climactic ending and the Daleks effectively winning.

I can tolerate the new theme tune more now but I don't think I will ever warm to it as much as I did to the first one they used starting in 2005.

Something that seems to be a bit of a recurring theme so far

is the Doctor arriving late. First a few times with Amy, now a month late for Churchill. Maybe that's just me seeing a connection where there isn't really one, though.

I suppose it's possible we'll see them return later this year, but I'd prefer if they didn't. They were in three of the four series finales in the RTD era, a bit of variation would be nice.

That said, they don't need to be reused straight away to recoup the costs. The Beeb has been reusing the Cybus Cybermen for a few years now after all, it could be a long term investment,

I would like to see more of a personal climax for the Doctor this season. They kind of did it at the End of Time with the Doctor sacrificing himself just to save one person, but I would like to see it this year as not being the "Doctor having to avert the end of the Universe again", rather I would like to see the Doctor battling to save his own life or Amy's. Thats one of the reasons why "The Caves of Androzani" was such an effective climax to the Davison era (not the season though, the Twin Dilemma was last in that season), because when you look at Androzani, the universe was not in danger, all the Doctor had to do was save Peri, and they got caught up in larger events but not earth shattering ones. It was a very minor affair in its own way, and it gave the Doctor and Peri the chance to shine and not be drowned out in massive events. I doubt it will happen though.

I will be really surprised if the Daleks are not back this season.

And as for the Cybusmen.

I imagine that the fans over at Gallifrey Base are howling and whining about the fact that it looks like they are going to return

again this season.

Taksraven

Surprise candidate for the next Master?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8642854.stm

Graham Norton is a UK based chat show host and he has previous in this regard; during the broadcast of the very first episode of the revived Who series back in 2005, a technical error caused Nortons voice to be briefly heard during the episode.

Or was it just a technical error, and did the BBC find a small, doll-like corpse in the controllers chair that evening...? :)

Surprise candidate for the next Master?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8642854.stm

Graham Norton is a UK based chat show host and he has previous in this regard; during the broadcast of the very first episode of the revived Who series back in 2005, a technical error caused Nortons voice to be briefly heard during the episode.

Or was it just a technical error, and did the BBC find a small, doll-like corpse in the controllers chair that evening...? :)

It was bloody annoying. Just the moment you are really focussing on the show and all of a sudden you are taken out of it.

Good episode though.

Taksraven

Okay, there would appear to be some phrases that we're not going to be able to use for any episode Mr. Moffat has done the script for. These include "Well, that was an average episode" and "Yeah, its fine to watch that one alone, in the dark, at night." :)

Cracking follow-up to last weeks and possibly the first episode to really allow Matt Smith to show off what he can do as The Doctor. Also, be prepared for questions... :)

Spoiler:

Oh, yes: its no longer Captain Kirks chair. Its the Doctors now.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Okay, there would appear to be some phrases that we're not going to be able to use for any episode Mr. Moffat has done the script for. These include "Well, that was an average episode" and "Yeah, its fine to watch that one alone, in the dark, at night." :)

Cracking follow-up to last weeks and possibly the first episode to really allow Matt Smith to show off what he can do as The Doctor. Also, be prepared for questions... :)

Spoiler:

Oh, yes: its no longer Captain Kirks chair. Its the Doctors now.

It was really funny the way that Amy kept taking the Doctor's suspenders off. I did love some bits of this episode. BUT like a few others this season it did seem a bit like "setting the pieces in place for the finale" sort of thing. Its been a common thread ever since Bad Wolf back in 2005 (and by common I mean every bloody season), but at least this time the Doctor has realised that something is going on far earlier in the season.

I also loved the way that Amy was just interested in getting into the Doctors pants, a quick screw being in the offing rather than a long term thing. (she said so herself essentially.)

Then, when she lay back in bed spreading her legs........

homer-drool-702026.gif

Taksraven

I think my post vanished from earlier.

Quick Summary: Did they change the Angels? In their first appearance they didn't kill. They sent people to different times. Second they had to cover their faces because they couldn't look at eachother. In the newest episodes they killed and I'm pretty sure they were in view of eachother.

I think my post vanished from earlier.

Quick Summary: Did they change the Angels? In their first appearance they didn't kill. They sent people to different times. Second they had to cover their faces because they couldn't look at eachother. In the newest episodes they killed and I'm pretty sure they were in view of eachother.

It could be possible that the Angels can look at each other safely as long as they aren't actually looking at each other's faces.

Theres been some comment that the Amgels seem to be contradicting their own established rules; however at least some of it might be explained by the Doctor stating that the Angels we've met before were in poor condition and these new ones are a lot more powerful (also, IIRC from Blink, the Angels there fed off the energy released by sending their victims back in time; here, they have access to a more powerful and readily available energy source... )

Also, Mr. Moffat would appear to be teasing us more than we know (possible large spoiler about future events):

Watch carefully from the moment the Doctor loses his jacket to just before he leaves Amy to go to the primary flight deck. Its very subtle but hints that theres something big going on...

(my thanks to posters on the UK forum YakYak for picking up on that!)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I dunno, I have been becoming more and more dissatisfied with this season as it progresses. There seems to be problems with the story structures or the such. I dunno.

Taksraven

I dunno, I have been becoming more and more dissatisfied with this season as it progresses.

It's been a little up and down with me, but more in the positive than the negative.

Eleventh Hour was a great start, lots of fun with a quirky Doctor (the most recent episode cemented how odd Matt Smith looks with his hair slicked back and forehead prominent to me. Of course physical appearance isn't everything, he's been playing the role great as well). Beast Below had some off notes but was ultimately a decent adventure. I'm a little mixed on Victory; it had Daleks serving tea which is possibly the greatest thing ever, but was a little off at other moments. Ultimately I think it served its goal well enough. Angels/Flesh was the best two-parter The Moff's done since series one (I liked Silence but thought it was let down by Forest) and I thought Vampires was a good adventure with a lot of great character moments between the Doctor, Rory and Amy.

Overall, I think it's shaping up to be a great year of Who so far. I'm not an RTD hater or anything, I think he did a great job of bringing the series back to prominence and was certainly a great writer of characterisation and did some great stories of his own but the actual plots have felt a lot more cohesive so far this year.

Obviously not everyone's going to agree on everything regarding a series with as much history, variety and depth as Who, but this year is standing up fairly well for me personally.

I've been trying to think about the climax that they are working up to this season, with the likelyhood that it will feature another returning enemy.

The Van Gogh episode is going to feature Bill Nighy as a character called "Dr Black". My suspicion is that this could be the Black Guardian, who would be an interesting villian to have returning, and maybe it will be the main enemy for the end? Anyone else speculating??

Taksraven

Quite enjoyed Amy's Choice. One of the best this season. The Dream Lord was brilliant!

Taksraven

Quite a few people seem to have enjoyed that one; I particularly liked what they did with the TARDIS... :)Shades of Urusei Yatsura for me, as well! Apparently it was filmed later on and some people have got the impression that Matt Smith was more settled into the character by that point.

Just reading through the info for the last few episodes of the current season of Who. Interesting to note that

Philip Madoc

will be making a return appearance, the first time he has been on the show since the 1970's. Not likely that he will be playing any character he portrayed in the past, there does not seem to be too much scope for it. (although, the

War Lord

would be an interesting character to return.)

I dunno, I'm still leaning towards a

Black Guardian

appearance.

Taksraven

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, well, thankfully I found another Dr Who fan at the college where my wife works, and he's been doing the bittorrent gruntwork. I'm now caught up through Amy's Choice, which was very good. Matt Smith is starting to grow on me, but we'll see how his character firms up.

I hope that they continue using a wide array of locations. The RTD years spent a little too much time in Present Day Earth for me.

I did really like the S1-4 Dalek model, and am a little disapointed with the new one. It seems to be based more on the Peter Cushing Movie model, which I never really liked. It was just too "Daleks, IN COLOUR!!" They're taller and more imposing, sure; but that's half the fun of Daleks, is that they're little pepper pots, trying to conquer the universe - and pretty good at it actually.

It's still definitely Doctor Who, though, and I love it.

Edited by Kelsain

Just reading through the info for the last few episodes of the current season of Who. Interesting to note that

Philip Madoc

will be making a return appearance, the first time he has been on the show since the 1970's. Not likely that he will be playing any character he portrayed in the past, there does not seem to be too much scope for it. (although, the

War Lord

would be an interesting character to return.)

I dunno, I'm still leaning towards a

Black Guardian

appearance.

Taksraven

I think you mean the War Chief. The War Lord was executed by the Time Lords at the end of The War Games.

I think you mean the War Chief. The War Lord was executed by the Time Lords at the end of The War Games.

If you have seen the War Games you should know that very few bad guys have ever stayed dead in Doctor Who. (apart from Adric)

Taksraven

Penultimate episode of this series just finished.

Bloody... er... heck. :o

Incidentally, US viewers may wish to consider the following (which my Mum had to point out! Mild spoiler from this weeks episode, but based on information already broadcast in previous episodes):

Keep an eye out for a a certain date that appears during the series. Then look out for when the last episode of the series will be broadcast in the UK...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

If you have seen the War Games you should know that very few bad guys have ever stayed dead in Doctor Who. (apart from Adric)

May he rest in peace. I never quite understood the hatred for Adric, he may have been annoying but far worse was to come (Tegan AND Turlough were FAR FAR FAR worse then Adric ever hoped to be)

(I might have spelled Turlough wrong but can't be bothered to look it up - if I insult the character by spelling it wrong then so much the better)

Cant put anything here yet for fear of spoliering for our U.S bretherine. I'll post here after saturdays episode saying if it turned out how I recon it will.

Im thinking a little bit of Back to the Future and Bill and Ted shenanagons, plus bad guys. :)