We need a Whovian thread for all Whovian stuff all the time!

I'll start this off by posing a query in the final episode of the first season of Doctor Who there is this exchange between Rose and the Doctor.

Rose: there was this singing

Doctor: That's right I sang a song and the Dalek's ran away

now on the surface this could just be a joke meaning that the Doctor can't sing... but I wonder if maybe it's a possible Macross reference. I mean Macross 7 or something ^^. But maybe not... to me it just made me think of Macross 7....

"listen to the Doctor's song!"

But seriously now... I loved the new series and i'm kinda sad to see the 10th Doctor go... I don't like the new one so far but maybe he'll grow on me (but ooh his voice is so bad.)

Everyone else like the first season?

All in all, while I am a fan of the Doctor and all that, do you really think there is a need for him to have his own thread? I don't think there is that large of a fan base here to warrant it. After all, we do have the other one...

(Stands back to be beat upon by the masses of Whovian fans out there.)

All in all, while I am a fan of the Doctor and all that, do you really think there is a need for him to have his own thread? I don't think there is that large of a fan base here to warrant it. After all, we do have the other one...

I'm gonna have to agree and I'll need to add this comment...

I dig quite a few british comedies and dramas but I can't stand british sci-fi. They all tend to be so campy or just plain ass gay.

Well, I think the new series would warrant a thread.

However, most of the fanbase here on MW is american, and we, sadly, don't get the new series here.

What I meant by fanbase here is that the vast majority of MWer's are not Whovians, so why have a thread? It kills me to even say this, because I love the series and have been a fan since the late 70's. There are other sites which relate to the good Doctor and would be a better place to talk about the new series. I don't mind hearing about news from the show, but there is already a thread about this, and the last post there was almost 2 months ago.

Well I knew there was a thread on the new show I ment this as more of a general Doctor Who thing... and you don't get it in America? We get it in Canada and used to have the classic stuff run on PBS (which was american)... hmmm I guess maybe a thread isn't going to work. ah well... still you think the "song" thing could have possibly been a Macross refrence?

I was all jumping went they mentioned planet Lucifer last episode I'm like "oh my god a Gunbuster reference" then someone pointed out to me there was a planet Lucifer in the 7th Doctor's series.

I think this fits fine in the Other Anime or SCIENCE FICTION section. It's just one thread.

I liked about 50% of the new episodes. When they added Captain Jack it got entertaining. Too bad about Eccleston leaving. It's interesting that they used the old designs for the bad guys (Daleks). They made it work pretty well.

I dig quite a few british comedies and dramas but I can't stand british sci-fi. They all tend to be so campy or just plain ass gay.

Someone is not going to like the new Dr. Who, then... ;)

Of course, Quatermass: gay. Ultraviolet: gay. Edge of Darkness: gay. The Nightmare Man: gay.

(in other words, I think that the "all" was a teensy bit harsh... :p )

i really enjoyed eccelson's performance...they should sign these actors to a multiyear deal (say if certain targets are met) to prevent this from happening. as it is he's screwed up their marketing/toy plans.

i want to see more timelords in upcoming shows (maybe a retrospective on the great war)

Actually, we already had a thread talking about the new series (Search is your friend).

That said, I love the new series. At this point, Ecclaston is easily my favorite Doctor. I'm curious to see how this new guy does, but six months is a long time from now. Bleh.

Actually, we already had a thread talking about the new series (Search is your friend).

That said, I love the new series. At this point, Ecclaston is easily my favorite Doctor. I'm curious to see how this new guy does, but six months is a long time from now. Bleh.

I knew we had a thread about the NEW series... I said that already. this was ment to be a general thread about all things Doctor Who... Wether it's con apperances... DVD releases, toy releases... whatever it is...

I thought I made that clear I know there was a thread specific to the new series. This was supposed to be inline with what we have with the Tranformers Superthread.

That said, I love the new series.  At this point, Ecclaston is easily my favorite Doctor.  I'm curious to see how this new guy does, but six months is a long time from now.  Bleh.

I knew we had a thread about the NEW series... I said that already. this was ment to be a general thread about all things Doctor Who... Wether it's con apperances... DVD releases, toy releases... whatever it is...

I thought I made that clear I know there was a thread specific to the new series. This was supposed to be inline with what we have with the Tranformers Superthread.

Ah. Well, I think the super threads are a lame idea to begin with anyway.

• 8 months later...

Thw new (Ninth Doctor) is going to be on the Scifi channel this Friday.

i read the episode summaries for season 1 and they could be good.

Any one going to watch?

I have admit that favorite incarnation of the

"Doctor" was played by Tom Baker.

well, now that BSG is gone for a few months, I'll start watching Doctor Who.

9th, 10th?

i don't know, these are the ones I recall.

William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and Sylvester McCoy

This is the list I see around the internet:

1. William Hartnell (1963–1966)

2. Patrick Troughton (1966–1969)

3. Jon Pertwee (1970–1974)

4. Tom Baker (1974–1981)

5. Peter Davison (1981–1984)

6. Colin Baker (1984–1986)

7. Sylvester McCoy (1987–1989, 1996 movie)

8. Paul McGann (1996 movie)

9. Christopher Eccleston (2005)

10. David Tennant (2005–present)

So I guess that means we will only see two (or three) more Doctors before they either break their own mythos or put the show to bed for good.

Edit: Seeing as I have not seen the new series yet do they actually pick up where the old series left off (making the current Doctor the tenth regeneration) or is this an "all new" Doctor in an "all new" universe?

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

oh, now i remember that movie, i try not to.

haha.

what was the 2005 version?

380202[/snapback]

The 2005 version is the new show as far as I know... I have not seen it yet so I know nothing about it or why they would be listing two Doctors for it. Can someone enlighten us?

380205[/snapback]

Christopher Eccleston is the Doctor for the 2005 version of the series. David Tennant appears in the "Christmas Invasion" special and the 2006 series (soon to be aired in the UK). It could be considered a spoiler as to why theres a change of actor between the two series, but if you know your Who lore, then you've probably guessed the reason already... ;)

308208[/snapback]

Edit: content deleted, just noticed I was repeating myself from much earlier.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

This is the list I see around the internet:

1. William Hartnell (1963–1966)

2. Patrick Troughton (1966–1969)

3. Jon Pertwee (1970–1974)

4. Tom Baker (1974–1981)

5. Peter Davison (1981–1984)

6. Colin Baker (1984–1986)

7. Sylvester McCoy (1987–1989, 1996 movie)

8. Paul McGann (1996 movie)

9. Christopher Eccleston (2005)

10. David Tennant (2005–present)

So I guess that means we will only see two (or three) more Doctors before they either break their own mythos or put the show to bed for good.

Edit: Seeing as I have not seen the new series yet do they actually pick up where the old series left off (making the current Doctor the tenth regeneration) or is this an "all new" Doctor in an "all new" universe?

380200[/snapback]

Theres one doctor missed from that list: Peter Cushing (yes, that Peter Cushing) who played the role in two sixties Doctor Who movies. Richard E. Grant also played the role for a BBC web-series, and various well-known British actors including Rowan Atkinson and Joanna Lumley cameo'd in the role for a BBC charity special. The list above, though, represents what might be regarded as the "canon" list for the series. The new series follow on from all the other TV series, although Doctor Who continuity is a bit loose - there have been at least two origin stories for the Daleks, for example.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Well if that is the case then doesn't the Doc only have two more regenerations left? Or will they just bend the "rules" to keep the show going if need be?

Seems to me it would have behooved them to simply start over with a clean slate with this new show seeing as how the older Who shows have so many years between them and the new show... plus that terrible 96 movie was sort of a clean break between the "classic" who and the new one.

Seems to me it would have behooved them to simply start over with a clean slate with this new show seeing as how the older Who shows have so many years between them and the new show... plus that terrible 96 movie was sort of a clean break between the "classic" who and the new one.

380218[/snapback]

Sort of a "Dr Who Begins?" Why not? Everybody else seems to be doing it.

Well if that is the case then doesn't the Doc only have two more regenerations left? Or will they just bend the "rules" to keep the show going if need be?

You tell me. :) Its even more complicated than that, because IIRC one of the Doctors later regenerations (during the Colin Baker run) turns out to be evil. However, any SF fan can probably come up with at least half-a-dozen ways to get round that in the time it takes a Dalek to say "EX-TERM-I-NATE!".

380218[/snapback]

The possibility was mooted, I believe, but again, Russell T. Davies is a huge Who fan (as are several of the other writers) and Dr. Who has a massive amount of public goodwill in the UK. And harkening to the past has served the new series very well on occasion, the "new" Dalek being a superb case in point. No doubt it might cause complications later, but Who has, as I mentioned, already got a somewhat free continuity and perhaps the producers are taking a pick-"n"-mix approach - using that which seems good and quietly sweeping the stuff that isn't back under the carpet.

The Doctors nine hundred years old, after all. Hard to have a sense of the past when you have no past... :)

Edit: something I forgot; the 2005 series does frequently reference a "Time War", a devestating war through time and space. This has allowed, and probably will allow, a partial "clean slate" ("What happened to the <insert embarrassing species from the 1980s here>?"

"All dead. Time war.")

Edited by F-ZeroOne

380218[/snapback]

The Valeyard (evil Doc) is not really a later regen he is an amalgamation of the Doctor's darker side, between his 12 and final regeneration.

Previously in the series the Master forces a 13th regeneration by seizing the body of another, so if the doctor could do this as well, their could probably be many incarnations. It is also eluded to in the 96 movie that it is possible to take other regens from timelords.

Edited by valk1j

But that still goes against the Doctor Who "lore"... the Master is an evil renegade time lord who would do stuff like that to continue his wicked exsistence. The Doctor, while also a renegade, respects all life and would never do such a thing... or at least according to all the stuff that drops out of his mouth.

But like F-Z1 has pointed out time and again the writers of DW do a lot of blatantly contradictory stuff all the time.

But like any good show that constantly breaks it's own rules... cough cough star trek cough... I'm sure the writers will come up with some way to extend the show reguardless of the Doctor's 12th self needing to regenerate. Thus is the glory of science fiction: the laws of nature and even those the writers make themselves can be broken simply by one character (usually scotty or geordi laforge) babbling something about how you can break the rules by reversing the polarity on the flux capacitor, letting the cat out and inverting the left handed smoke shifter and using it as a bong. B)):p

Woo. A Dr. Who thread :D

After special-ordering the series and watching it, I liked the new who. Really sad to see the switch in doctors though... the 'new' doctor doesn't look as promising in the slightest >_>

Bringing back the Daleks was an interesting move, but I'm surprised they didn't resolve the Dalek Civil war (Rememberance of the Daleks, 7th doctor). And what about Davros? He DID escape... is he just floating in space sometime during 1969 then?

A little dissapointed in the new Dalek color scheme (Hoping for more of a tie-in with the origional series), but I WAS intreauged that they used the Dalek movie 'ears' (Conical sirens instead of buttons), and surprised that an OLDER cyberman helmet appeared instead of just pulling out a newer one to use.

I also liked the stories before that captain guy showed up. Didn't like him really >_>

Supposedly in the next season were's supposed to run into Sarah Jane, K-9, Queen Elizabeth, and the Cybermen. I have the feeling that the Cybermen might have played a small role in the Timewar, and something tells me they were on the side of the timelords (against the daleks? Don't know why...). I'm eager to see K-9 again... and would have been even more exited to see Sarah with the 9th doctor, but obviously since that actor stepped down for reasons unknown, I suppose the 10th will have to do.

I wonder if K-9 is going to get a redesign (Hope not...) the TARDIS got it, The screwdriver got it, and so did the Dalek. I'm really hoping for some continuity tie-in by bringing back some of the older costumes/props (like the cybermen), to furter tie the new in with the old.

Previously in the series the Master forces a 13th regeneration by seizing the body of another, so if the doctor could do this as well, their could probably be many incarnations. It is also eluded to in the 96 movie that it is possible to take other regens from timelords.

380308[/snapback]

The Master also tried to extend his life by stealing the Sash of Rassilon, which would give him control over the Eye of Harmony in the story "The Deadly Assassin". Naturally, the Doctor intervened and the Master fled Gallifrey, but he did absorb enough energy to keep his life force going.

The other part, where he stole the body of someone else, was when the Doctor visited Traken, where Nyssa was introduced. The Master was looking for a way to extend his life once more, using his TARDIS, disguised as a demon from Traken lore known as the Melkur, to gain control of the Traken Keepership. The Keeper was able to extend his life by diverting power from what was known as the Source, which was generated by all living beings in the Traken Union. And this was why the Master went to Traken. However, the Doctor foiled his plans, but not before the Master was able to tap some of the Source's energy to possess Tremas' (Nyssa's father) body. In effect, I think the Master would then have become human to an extent, stealing a body that was not Gallifreyan.

I do not think the Master had any other way of extending his own regeneration cycle, but I think the Time Lords knew of a way to do it. I think one of the later Peter Davison or Colin Baker episodes stated that the Master was promised to have his regeneration cycles renewed if he helped to destroy or help the Doctor. I cannot be sure which episode this was, but I have a feeling it may be "The Five Doctors".