I believe Matt Smith was channeling the third Doctor, Jon Pertwee with the "ginger" comments. I think that's where the gag began, so I don't hold it against Smith so much (or anyone playing the titular role for referencing it). If anyone should be knocked for overusing Classic Who gags, it's Moffat, although one could argue that is a hallmark of his era. I'm actually relieved that Chibnall is trying to do something different, at least for the time being.

As for Jodie Whittaker's Doctor, she did very well and I'm excited to see more. I thought hers was one of the better post-regeneration episodes that I've seen in a while. She played both sides of the confused Timelord who's transitioning personalities in a believable way--at least it came across that way to me. I also really like that we have the Doctor traveling with a sizable group of companions again. 

My niece, who happens to be a big Matt Smith fan, was surprisingly skeptical about this new Doctor at first, but she gave her a chance and came away with a rather positive impression too. 

3 hours ago, technoblue said:

I believe Matt Smith was channeling the third Doctor, Jon Pertwee with the "ginger" comments. I think that's where the gag began, so I don't hold it against Smith so much (or anyone playing the titular role for referencing it).

David Tennant's Doctor started "Ginger"-comment before Matt Smith's Doctor did when he regenerated and asked if he was a Ginger.

Nice opening titles. Shame they didn't keep the silhouette but then again, Jodie doesn't have the crossed eye-brows and Scottish glare of Calpadi.

9 hours ago, azrael said:

David Tennant's Doctor started "Ginger"-comment before Matt Smith's Doctor did when he regenerated and asked if he was a Ginger.Nice opening titles. Shame they didn't keep the silhouette but then again, Jodie doesn't have the crossed eye-brows and Scottish glare of Calpadi.

:lol: I could have sworn it was a classic series gag that NuWho was referencing, but I went back to check Spearhead from Space after reading your comment, and sure enough Pertwee only comments on the flexibility of his face and his eyebrows. Perhaps it's the Mandela Effect popping up in my old age, or maybe there was some other special that I was watching and mis-remembering. Oh well...

Curiously, Liz Shaw (Caroline John) is a redhead. I think the issue I'm mis-remembering is that Caroline and Jon Pertwee had something of a rough relationship behind the camera. That was noted in one of the bonus commentaries on the DVD or Blu-ray.

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

:lol: I could have sworn it was a classic series gag that NuWho was referencing, but I went back to check Spearhead from Space after reading your comment, and sure enough Pertwee only comments on the flexibility of his face and his eyebrows.

Like I said, Tennant's Doctor started this "Ginger"-gag before Smith's Doctor. Where it referenced before Tennant, well... :)

The second episode holds up well, very good IMHO.  Interesting little series mystery was introduced as well.

I didn't like the opening music as much due to the hesitations but the graphics looked nice.  The ending music was better, or perhaps I just got used to it.

I only remember the one line about red hair from Tennant while Smith's went on and on about it.  Partly due to Amy I guess.

Cinematically, this new series looks too good to be Doctor Who! I really like 13 so far, and Graham seems pretty cool. Not sold on the other 2 yet.

At this point, I’m not a huge fan of the new Tardis console room. Not digging the crystal theme, and it just feels way too dark. All of the other rooms in the new series have given me that “wow” feeling at the first reveal, but not this one. My favorite was Smith’s first, because it felt so inter dimensional & weird. Although the police box porch is actually what I imagined was past the Big White Doors in the old series.

• 4 weeks later...

So we’re up to episode 6 of the new series and I’m loving it.   None of the episodes are the Doctor being big and loud like the others in the nuWho.  No fire and brimstone and huge proclamations.  They’re just telling stories and the Doctor and her companions are just trying to witness, not be part of the story (we all know that’s not going to happen) but they TRY.  Rosa was good but I’m really liking Demons of the Punjab.  

I got into Who with Eccleston and Tennant, and kind of fell out of it with Smith. So far I've all all but the last of this new Doctor's shows and I'm really liking it.

I think it may be a bit cumbersome with three companions, of whom I like Graham the most, but overall I'm enjoying Whitaker's Who.

I thought the Rosa episode was a bit too preachy - not everyone in the south was a jerk, the racism was ingrained in most people (north and south) but not all of them were jerks about it.  Think of the sheriff from "In the Heat of the Night" for a nuanced example that would have been helpful in the episode.  It also didn't really have enough of Rosa for me.

The latest episode was a good one, a good balance of history and a personal story.  I freely admit part of that may be due to having no direct investment in the events (I'm from the US and it was a Pakistani/Indian/UK bit of history).  

I thought there would be more about that big hint dropped in the first episode, but I don't remember seeing anything else mentioned about it.  Did I miss something?

Spoiler

The reference to the child.  I thought maybe it was Susan or her parents being referenced.

Just watched this week's episode and I think it is the best one yet.  A Fezz, some Venusian Karate, and a 

Spoiler

Twist Ending

is hard to beat.

Spoiler

I really like the misdirection toward the evil corporation that they were doing - expecting to have "terminated" employees actually being terminated for example.  They handled the subject matter of extremism with a deft touch.

• 1 year later...

I could have sworn there was more Who talk since my last post - perhaps in the general TV thread?  Anyway - I only just got round to watching the first episode of this season and it was a big step up from last season.  Hopefully they can keep it up.  Going to be watching episode 2 tomorrow.

Nope. Last series writing was in the awful-territory. The only good episode last year was "Demons of the Punjab". "Spyfall, pt 2" was like day-&-night compared to all of Series 11. But since Series 11 was so bad, this was about a normal episode. Nothing against a female doctor, but the writing has just been dreadful.

For my part, I didn't mind Chibnall or the stories that he and his team of writers made up for season 11. It was a bit of a left turn from Davies and Moffat for sure, especially given that the historical set pieces (Rosa and Demons) were my stand out favorites apart from Jodie's introduction and the return of the TARDIS. If I had to rate any of the episodes critically, my duds would include "Arachnids in the UK", "The Witchfinders", and "Kerblam!" although these definitely weren't showstoppers.

"It Takes You Away" was probably the most creative episode, IMO--trippy and visual. My only comment is that I wish there had been more time to explain the in-between realm and the alien that created the complete living universe on the other side. The whole story ended with me having a lot of questions, but maybe that was the point?

Anyway, I haven't started watching season 12 yet, so I can't compare it to Jodie's first season. I'll need to rectify that soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Gawds, this week was a much better episode. Since Chibnall co-wrote this episode, I'll assume this plays into the bigger plot this series. And no, not because of the special guest, but future episode reference that had to be inserted.

• 4 weeks later...

One more episode left for the season and so far it has been excellent - and next week's finale is looking excellent as well.  A massive turn around from last season, probably the best in the last few seasons.  Though Capaldie's episode locked in the confession dial is one of the best episodes of the entire show.

• 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

That is darned impressive.

It is. BCS have improved their paint and sculpt work. The early New Who figures and Companions had some minor quirks, but were respectable even so. The Classic Who figures have truly raised the bar.

Edited by technoblue

• 2 weeks later...

BCS has teased the next Doctor. 

I thought Colin was great in Blake's 7, and then (much, much later) he made a guest appearance in the Star Trek Continues fan anthology. In Doctor Who, his unique interpretation grated on my nerves when I was young, but like an aged wine I learned to appreciate the flare he brought to the role later in life. Looking back, it would have been cool if he had been given more episodes after The Trial of a Timelord. Oh, what could have been!

Edited by technoblue

• 5 months later...

I watched the New Years special last night and it was pretty good.  Jack was kind of a waste though, he was there but if your going to bring back an old character give them more to do.  Plus we get original(*) Daleks back again.  

(*) or one of the original types anyway, I lost track over the years.

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

I watched the New Years special last night and it was pretty good.  Jack was kind of a waste though, he was there but if your going to bring back an old character give them more to do.  Plus we get original(*) Daleks back again.  

(*) or one of the original types anyway, I lost track over the years.

Mm. I watched it yesterday too. I liked their new paint job. I also liked how the Doctor resolved “the invasion” in this episode. Without going into spoilers (since I’m typing this on my phone), it calls back to some of the older classic Doctor episodes.

This is also the first time with Jodie after the controversial Timeless Child arc. For me, it’s really interesting seeing her Doctor confused and even doubtful of who she is and where she’s come from. Doubly so since the source of that doubt came from someone as duplicitous and destructive as the Master. I liked the ending for this one and can’t believe filming finished on it pre-pandemic (2019 seems so far away now). Anyway, I’m looking forward to series 13.

Edited by technoblue

Agreed Jack seemed  like a last minute addition. Hopefully they'll keep him in for future episodes as he is a popular character.

Otherwise not a bad episode.   One question though, each and every time we have been introduced to a new Dalek variant, they get binned off by the end of the episode, and we are left with the “old, new” Gold/bronze version.

Back before the reboot each time they appeared they were reinvented, even if it was just a paint job.

1 hour ago, Dangard Ace said:

Watched it yesterday as well.  So glad something I like is back.   So good to have a new episode of Doctor Who.... and Jack!  I’ve started rewatching Torchwood because of him.  Speaking of think I’ll go watch the werewolf episode too.  

Speaking of Torchwood, I was wondering...

Spoiler

The tease at the end, where Jack sends his farewells over the TARDIS' coms and lets the Doctor know that he's visiting Gwen... Might we see another Torchwood spinoff miniseries or movie? That would be a nice treat if it turns out to be true.

2 hours ago, big F said:

Otherwise not a bad episode.   One question though, each and every time we have been introduced to a new Dalek variant, they get binned off by the end of the episode, and we are left with the “old, new” Gold/bronze version.

The new version of the Daleks a few years back was so despised they are wary of changing the design any longer (though the "Classic" Dalek since the restart of the show is not an exact copy of any of the old ones either).  I was fine with the new design but the original is classic.

47 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Speaking of Torchwood, I was wondering...

Reveal hidden contents

That’s what I’m hoping for. I think it was a few weeks back but on Twitter JB was hinting at going in for something.  No way it was for RoTD. 

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/scifi/2021-01-03/jodie-whittaker-leaving-doctor-who/

Not sure what to make of this rumour. If it's true, I'll be sad to see her go. I liked how Whittaker's era had the show reconnecting with its roots in some ways, trying new things in others, and even turning a few tropes on end. Sadly, it's obvious that this wasn't enough to help overall ratings which have been on a downward trend since the Capaldi era.

I'm also hoping that the show can return to a more consistent schedule at some point in the next year or two. I know it's a big ask given the uncertain nature of things in the real world now, but I'll be crossing my fingers. Even if we see another regeneration in the meantime, the show will be better for adding back that stability going forward.

2 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

Man that would suck.  Barely got to know this Doctor and they’re just finding their groove.   Well let’s see where this rumour goes.  I’d like to see her at the helm for three seasons before a regeneration

Exactly, Tom Baker is beloved as the Doctor, one of the reasons behind that is due to the time he spent being the Doctor.

Recent Turns seem to leave, just when they are getting the groove, fans dislike them at first, then grow to love them, then they leave. Is the BBC just not paying enough?  They are not leaving for bigger things as all except Matt Smith have only picked up TV series work afterwards.

Unfortunately, it takes a series to get to know these regenerations and for the writers to figure out the characters they have. When we get to a 2nd series with these characters, the audience and writers finally get comfortable with the characters and story.  

Ratings probably had a role to play. Who knows...