• 1 month later...

To be honest all of those silly send-offs were overwrought garbage anyway.  They used to just off the Doctor and let the new one step in.  Not let him give a two hour soliloquy about life featuring every character we met over the course of the run.

13 hours ago, Mommar said:

To be honest all of those silly send-offs were overwrought garbage anyway.  They used to just off the Doctor and let the new one step in.  Not let him give a two hour soliloquy about life featuring every character we met over the course of the run.

Ah the old Doctor Who's.  "Ah my time has come!  And we've no budget for special effects so let's over lay the films and regenerate!"  1 min and fx budget is spent, "here's the new Doctor!"  Also you've got to stop watching it at 1/2 speed if you think it's a 2hour soliloquy.  The Xmas Specials are only 45min-50mins depending on commercials. :D

Ecclesons send off was him saving the human race at the end of his season, never even made it to the Christmas special.  They gave him 5mins and poof Tennant!  Tennant had the longest sendoff what with him wandering around for episodes moping before his famous, "I don't want to go!"   Kinda made sense since at that time RTD had DW, Torchwood and Sarah Jane Smith Chronicles all interweaving with each other somehow and that giant crossover!  Wooo!   Smith....well...actually I don't remember how long his send off was, was it just the Xmas Special or did it include the lead up to the Xmas special?  I just wanted the flailly doctor to end.   Capaldi's "woe is me schtick, life sucks and I'm tired of saving the universe" after losing Jenna got boring.  In between those periods when he was being clever was fun though.  

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Valkyrie Griffon said:

Definitely. Tom Baker will be a good start to the classic series sets. I have Shada on blu-ray already, and love the quality and extra bonus content.

Spearhead from Space was phenomenal, since it was shot on film. It would be cool if they do the Pertwee sets after Baker's.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Let’s see...I’ve seen Shada on VHS, DVD (twice), and now blu-ray. The story behind the production is actually more interesting than the actual serial, which gives the audience a glimpse of how the Time Lords punish criminals convicted of high crimes. Given the false starts and shenanigans around production, I guess I’m glad Shada wasn’t another Horns of Nimon. It isn’t my favorite Baker story, nor my favorite Adams-penned tale—I agree it is simply ok.

It is interesting, according to Wikipedia, that Douglas Adams was vying to make Shada the last Tom Baker story. He wanted it to mark the end to the Doctor’s days of adventure but Graham Williams wouldn’t have any of it. I was also surprised to learn that JNT tried to finish it after the strike was over, when he became showrunner, but Adams just wasn’t interested anymore. Adams had lost faith in the script. Anyway, seeing the completed blu-ray reconstruction with animated scenes and Baker’s closing remarks was nice all the same.

12 hours ago, technoblue said:

It appears the next classic Doctor Who blu-ray release is Season 19: Peter Davison's debut. Although I was hoping for a Pertwee box set, this is also a very logical choice.

https://www.blogtorwho.com/doctor-who-the-collection-season-19-next-for-blu-ray-release/

I'm in. Just waiting for the pre-order links to pop up

I would have been more interested in another Blu Ray season of Tom Baker, but this is good news too.

On 8/22/2018 at 12:38 PM, GabrielV said:

I would have been more interested in another Blu Ray season of Tom Baker, but this is good news too.

I wonder which of Tom Baker's seasons the BBC will choose next for blu-ray? Will they choose season 18 to make the crossover with Davison, or will they choose season 16 (The Key to Time), or season 14 (Sarah Jane's departure and Leela's debut)? There are so many good options from his era.

Sticking with first season sets will get tricky once they get around to William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton. Most of Troughton's first season is filled with missing episodes. Hartnell's first season isn't as bad, but you do have the one complete missing serial with Marco Polo. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_missing_episodes#List_of_missing_episodes

10 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Putting Hartnell's first season on Bluray is either going to cost a massive boatload of money or is a total waste of time.  The visual quality of the shows are beyond atrocious.  Worn out VHS videotape is overkill.

Ha! Yeah, I had some of those VHS tapes. The quality was poor. I think I built up a resistance after recording so many years of out-of-focus over the air Doctor Who. That was even more painful. Still, I thought the DVD restorations were nice. I have the entire region 2 classic DVD collection now, and I think the classic blu-rays are a nice bonus. If they do get to Doctors 1 and 2, I prefer to wait for them to be able to do them justice and give us something special.

And who knows? They might find more lost episodes in the meantime, if we're lucky.

• 1 month later...

New Doctor Who season has started and it definitely has a different tone from the Moffat era.   

Creepy, unease, mysterious.   Still plenty of running.  Jodie’s Doctor is interesting, similar to 10s regen but less swashbuckly.  Also doesn’t carry the ultimatum speech like Tennant does cause she’s nice.  First episodes finding its legs.  Let’s see what the next few do.  

Still processing ti a bit; it wasn't exactly an absolute classic of an episode but it did what it needed to do - though I wasn't expecting the ending to take quite the turn it did. The real bright star was, of course... well, the star. It feels like its going to take a bit more time for her to find a settled role (arguably, it took Capaldi a whole season; no reflection on him as an actor, I just think it took time for the writers to settle on... pardon the pun... who he was) but at absolutely no point, right from her entrance, did I feel "This isn't the Doctor" [1].

I need to hear it a bit more, but initial impression is I like the latest reworking of the theme tune; arguably its even more old school than anything from the Moffat era!

[1] And just so I'm not misinterpreted, no I don't mean "...because shes a woman". Thats never been a concern of mine; its the character.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Well working backwards, the theme music works very well, I am not 100% but im sure I heard somewhere the BBC Radiophonic workshop were on  board with it. I heard so many bits of the old themes in there. I liked it. Massive nod to the Tom Baker credits too visually.

So I agree a female Doctor works,  I saw bits of Capaldi, Baker (both), Pertwee and Tennant\Smith in the character. 

Im sure that her character will develope. Im interested to see how the story developes considering the end of the episode.

On 10/8/2018 at 11:55 AM, F-ZeroOne said:

[1] And just so I'm not misinterpreted, no I don't mean "...because shes a woman". Thats never been a concern of mine; its the character.

My concern was not that she was female, it was that they were going to make a big stink about the character being female.  They did not do that.  Overall it was a very good regen story - far better then Tenent's where he slept through most of the episode, I don't remember Capaldi's at all, and I liked Matt Smith's if only for the girl playing young Amy, she had charisma.

As  long as they dont keep banging on "I used to be a man" that will get old quickly.

The whole female empowerment thing is fine by me but the current trait of ramming in the face of the populous, is at best a distraction to story lines at worst a complete turn off in the viewing sense.

I wonder how long it will be till Holly Weird adjusts its current passion for reboots and filmised versions of TV series and starts a reboot but everyones gender reversed rewrite of all the "classics"

Jesus of Nazereth, is Jenny of Nazereth

The A team but all strong female rolls instead  B.A Baracus is Barbara Anne Baracus and hates boys, not planes.

Starbuck is a girl..... Oh wait they did that and it actually worked.......

You get the idea