I should have seen it coming but I loved the Brigadier Cameo in that episode. I was shocked when the nerdy assistant was killed (wonder if she ends up coming back somehow - I had her pegged as a recurring character). Finally, Pink had a perfect character ending arc written - I still don't like him as a character but he put his money where his mouth was.

I should have seen it coming but I loved the Brigadier Cameo in that episode. I was shocked when the nerdy assistant was killed (wonder if she ends up coming back somehow - I had her pegged as a recurring character). Finally, Pink had a perfect character ending arc written - I still don't like him as a character but he put his money where his mouth was.

To be fair, the Doctor offered her the chance to travel with him. Lately, that's about the same as the soldier sharing a photo of his baby, or a policeman on the cusp of retirement. Sad, though. I liked her.

This episode really pulled some strings. I think it's the best Moffat season-ender since the Pandorica - possibly surpassing that.

I'm going crazy to know about Gallifrey. And of course, the Master's never REALLY dead.

To be fair, the Doctor offered her the chance to travel with him. Lately, that's about the same as the soldier sharing a photo of his baby, or a policeman on the cusp of retirement. Sad, though. I liked her.

This episode really pulled some strings. I think it's the best Moffat season-ender since the Pandorica - possibly surpassing that.

I'm going crazy to know about Gallifrey. And of course, the Master's never REALLY dead.

The fact that the Master is out proves that Gallifrey is out there somewhere, and possibly accessible, I would not be surprised if, in the end, Gallifrey is right where Missy said it was, just in another dimension, or somehow still hidden in some way. That would be just enough of a lie for the Master to make and drive the Doctor bug nuts.

Now the question becomes, will a pregnant or new-mom Clara show up in the X-mas special? She met one of her and Danny's descendants, so a Pregnancy must occur somehow.

The fact that the Master is out proves that Gallifrey is out there somewhere, and possibly accessible, I would not be surprised if, in the end, Gallifrey is right where Missy said it was, just in another dimension, or somehow still hidden in some way. That would be just enough of a lie for the Master to make and drive the Doctor bug nuts.

Now the question becomes, will a pregnant or new-mom Clara show up in the X-mas special? She met one of her and Danny's descendants, so a Pregnancy must occur somehow.

Wibbly wobbly timey whimey.

We don't know how Orson Pink was a decedent. Could have been from a relative of Danny. We're not sure. They left that part vague.

Wibbly wobbly timey whimey.

We don't know how Orson Pink was a decedent. Could have been from a relative of Danny. We're not sure. They left that part vague.

True, but given that Danny was shown as an orphaned child in that same episode, I doubt that Orson is not a direct descendant. If you watch the x-mas special preview thought there is a shot where the doctor is in front of several people in heavy coats, one of which has a nightgown on underneath and long hair. The person is in shadow, but the height is right for Coleman, and the person could be pregnant, hard to tell.

• 10 months later...

Always stop on a high note, with an axe. ;)

The scenes with the Doctor and Davros on Skaro were well done. I like how Moffat finds interesting ways to knit the classic series and newwho together, and the one scene where Davros was using their past confrontations to manipulate the Doctor was brilliant.

Always stop on a high note, with an axe. ;)

The scenes with the Doctor and Davros on Skaro were well done. I like how Moffat finds interesting ways to knit the classic series and newwho together, and the one scene where Davros was using their past confrontations to manipulate the Doctor was brilliant.

I agree, someone else complained it was "jumping the shark" to use all of that referential material but I thought it was done really well.

Wow. Just... wow.

Moffat has always enjoyed playing with Who lore but this latest episode...

Wow.

And I take it back. The second best "Doctor Who" figure ever made is waiting to be manufactured, something just got bumped to the head of the queue... :)

No doubt. Moffat was twisting the knife's edge every chance he was given this episode. And the actors deserve as much credit for making it all come to life -- I loved it.

Best devious moments:

• Missy luring Clara into the Dalek shell, connecting her to it, and then lying to the Doctor about the whole matter. That was classic Master right there.
  • Davros appealing to the Doctor's compassion in order to restore his own life using regeneration energy while also improving the Daleks. I have to admit, before the Doctor delivered the episode's punch line, I fell for this feint and thought we were in for some kind of larger alternate universe story where the Doctor changes history after "saving" young Davros, leading to a bigger mess in the timeline.

More favorite quotes (to go with Mommar's above):

• "Can I have a stick, too?" - Clara
  • "Davros! You're up. Sorry, this seat is taken." - The Doctor
  • "You should feel privileged. The only other chair on Skaro." - Davros

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, its nice that the stories have room to breathe. Theres always the worry that the extra room means more padding (Oh, look! Another corridor! Lets run down it!), but if I had one slight quibble with the relaunch its that sometimes there was just never any time to pause for a bit in the story.

Edit: Dynaman, thats a neat observation. Hadn't really considered that before.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Yeah, its nice that the stories have room to breathe. Theres always the worry that the extra room means more padding (Oh, look! Another corridor! Lets run down it!), but if I had one slight quibble with the relaunch its that sometimes there was just never any time to pause for a bit in the story.

Too true! Watching some of the Hartnell and Troughton series are downright painful at times, some of Pertwee's suffer as well, but by the middle of his run they stopped padding them so badly - there was the occasional stinker still however...

Ha! Awesome. It's about time.

I'm excited to see Tennant v.2 and Big Chief's two TARDIS releases that are coming soon, as well. Their 1/6 line is nice and I hope to see more Classic Doctors sprinkled into the line again some day, although I read that they don't get as many sales (which is understandable).

Yeah. I do think Tom Baker's figure could have been a little better. And the smiling face they made for him could have been somewhat less electric...I don't know. I really liked Hartnell and Smith v2. I missed Tennant v1. But from the pictures that I've seen, I've long felt that his was the one to beat until today. Karen Gillan's figure was way, way off and I'm not sad that I missed that one.

Capaldi v1 is nice, but he is rockin' the current Who season with a new look and new gadgets. Big Chief could either give their current figure some upgrades or do another version when this season ends. Either way, I want to wait a bit on that one. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Should Doctor Who start killing people?

The answer is yes.

Last night's episode followed the usual formula. Aliens living among us are killing some people is part of a secret invasion. The Doctor is brought into help and does the usual there will be no killing solution speech. It is a very preachy wussy stuff.

I can't seem to remember his no killing policy actually solving any problem. It is the same formula again and again. Aliens show up killing about a dozen people in cold blood. Humankind has every right to machinegun that invaders to protect the human race. A dozen people already died. Instead the Doctor show up stops the killing, makes light of a serious situation. Convinces or forces the Alien invaders to leave without anymore bloodshed. Then the same Aliens return next year and do the same thing again. Killing another dozen people in cold blood.

Sorry Doctor but they aren't getting the message. Better start blasting them next time. All those people dying after each repeat invasion attempt is on you.

The answer is yes.

Last night's episode followed the usual formula. Aliens living among us are killing some people is part of a secret invasion. The Doctor is brought into help and does the usual there will be no killing solution speech. It is a very preachy wussy stuff.

I can't seem to remember his no killing policy actually solving any problem. It is the same formula again and again. Aliens show up killing about a dozen people in cold blood. Humankind has every right to machinegun that invaders to protect the human race. A dozen people already died. Instead the Doctor show up stops the killing, makes light of a serious situation. Convinces or forces the Alien invaders to leave without anymore bloodshed. Then the same Aliens return next year and do the same thing again. Killing another dozen people in cold blood.

Sorry Doctor but they aren't getting the message. Better start blasting them next time. All those people dying after each repeat invasion attempt is on you.

I always thought they needed another Captain Jack like foible who does exactly what you say but is shown to be right from time-to-time to prove that certain aspects of killing for survival are necessary and don't have to be acts of evil.

Actually, if you're a Cyberman, the Doctor is pretty much a one Time Lord Murder Army of Cyber-Death:

Yeah. I do think Tom Baker's figure could have been a little better. And the smiling face they made for him could have been somewhat less electric..

I've met Tom Baker and, personally, I think that they didn't go electric enough...! :)

I've met Tom Baker and, personally, I think that they didn't go electric enough...! :)

I'm jealous. ;) I haven't had the chance to meet anyone noteworthy (never mind an actor from a favorite childhood show).

I imagine the real Tom Baker has as much presence off screen as he does on.

Moffat has impressed me with how much Classic Who lore he has woven into New Who. I think it is required to watch the 50th anniversary special before this, and it is almost as helpful to watch the classic series Zygon episodes to get a feel for the Doctor's real intentions. To me, it did not come across as any lazy monster-of-the-week, preachy Doctor formula.

In this case, I think the Doctor was trying to do his best to preserve the peace and get intelligence on what was obviously a very bad situation. If UNIT or the armed forces of the world were to start shooting at things with bad intelligence, then that had a high probability of making a bad situation worse. Without giving too much away, when Zygons are involved, there will always be human hostages.

Think of it as the Doctor Who version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Edited by technoblue

I think they made a point of stating that in the episode.

The older generation was content with living in hiding and didn't care while the younger generation didn't like having to spend the rest of their lives hiding. The Zygon commanders wanted to deal with the situation but they let things deteriorate to where they let splinter groups form. By this point, things are just complicated.