Robotech and HG license debates

JustVinnie portrays a strong possibility.

IF HG did someone get their name on Trash, and BigWest knew about it and let it slide, that would open up a whole avenue of defense for HG if and when BigWest ever jumps the pond and legally challenges HG in the courts.

Well, at least this way they can't use the "No one was minding the store" excuse.

Oh, is that all... :p  Geeze, I asked the question I got an answer, I mean Graham comes here all the time with Yamato info and his word is considered holy.  I've got a personal direct experience with a HG employee who would know.  If I were in a court of law I could testify to what that person said, do I need to put my hand on a Bible or something?

The other problem is that HG has been known to be less than truthful. Nobody here believes them, even if we hear it from them directly.

Now why would they lie about whether or not their name is on a book? Despite all your guy's pessimism, it's pretty damn believable that they are putting their name on Trash.

Why would they lie about the metal content of their MPCs? Why would they lie about exactly what rights they hold? Why would they lie about anything they lie about? Simple. The same reason most people lie, because it suits them and their goals.

I'm not saying that their definitely BSing people about this, but they don't exactly have the best track record. Them being full of $hite is just as believable as them putting their name on Trash. (that is funny. :lol: )

Oh, is that all... :p  Geeze, I asked the question I got an answer, I mean Graham comes here all the time with Yamato info and his word is considered holy.  I've got a personal direct experience with a HG employee who would know.  If I were in a court of law I could testify to what that person said, do I need to put my hand on a Bible or something?

The other problem is that HG has been known to be less than truthful. Nobody here believes them, even if we hear it from them directly.

Now why would they lie about whether or not their name is on a book? Despite all your guy's pessimism, it's pretty damn believable that they are putting their name on Trash.

Why would they lie about the metal content of their MPCs? Why would they lie about exactly what rights they hold? Why would they lie about anything they lie about? Simple. The same reason most people lie, because it suits them and their goals.

I'm not saying that their definitely BSing people about this, but they don't exactly have the best track record. Them being full of $hite is just as believable as them putting their name on Trash. (that is funny. :lol: )

In the interest of being accurate:

Toynami are the ones who lied about metal content, and they came through on the subsequent releases of the MPC. And, there's no definitive evidence that HG has lied about their rights. Besides, since when is having an opinion one way or another about their rights a lie? BW doesn't have the copyright to SDF Macross, was it a lie when they said to the court that they did?

Toynami are the ones who lied about metal content, and they came through on the subsequent releases of the MPC. And, there's no definitive evidence that HG has lied about their rights. Besides, since when is having an opinion one way or another about their rights a lie? BW doesn't have the copyright to SDF Macross, was it a lie when they said to the court that they did?

Actually... no, since in court they were making their case.

They presented arguments that support their point of view. How the ruling came out has nothing to do whether they "lied" or not is irrelevant at that point in time.

As for HG, whether they've "lied" or not is at best boarderline.

What is true, is that they've certianly embelished the "truth"(at least from their point of view) by quite a bit.

It all depends on your definition of "is"... :p :P :p :P

Actually... no, since in court they were making their case.

They presented arguments that support their point of view. How the ruling came out has nothing to do whether they "lied" or not is irrelevant at that point in time.

As for HG, whether they've "lied" or not is at best boarderline.

What is true, is that they've certianly embelished the "truth"(at least from their point of view) by quite a bit.

Then you and I are in agreement. That just might be a first. :o

Edited by wrylac

p.s.- I wrote an e-mail to TokyoPop asking what's up with Macross 7 Trash not being on their site anymore. I will post any response I get here when (and if) it arrives.

I got a response:

Date: Tue Sep 23, 2003 08:26:45 PM US/Eastern

To: "Jeff Sorley"

Subject: RE: Macross 7 Trash

Hi,

Macross 7 is temporarily on hold. More information regarding it will be issued as more information comes in. Thanks for your patience!

Make of it what you will.

p.s.- I wrote an e-mail to TokyoPop asking what's up with Macross 7 Trash not being on their site anymore. I will post any response I get here when (and if) it arrives.

I got a response:

To: "Jeff Sorley" <xxxx@theroots.org>

Hi,

Macross 7 is temporarily on hold. More information regarding it will be issued as more information comes in. Thanks for your patience!

Sounds to me that BW didn't like TokyoPop involving HG. What ever the outcome it seems to me that HG has more than proven that they're willing to have Macross and RT co-exist.

Having Macross and Robotech coexisting isn't the problem. The problem is from my understand from listening and reading is HG claiming things or saying they won't stop things(as if they actually have a right to stop it) when it isn't clear what they actually have the rights to when it comes to sequels. We know they have the rights to SDF Macross but nothing has been said on anything else. I doubt anyone would complain if a court said HG had the rights to all of the Macross sequels. Hell even TP hasn't said that they own all things Macross. It looked like they were fine with their own franchises and could care less before the whole legal mess started. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But if they really wanted Macross and RT to coexist why not create an unedited dubbed version of SDF Macross. Or create Macross toys without the RT label at the same prices of the RT items. Or create a website for SDF Macross and have it and Robotech.com have links back and forth to each other. Or attempt to bring over DYRL? or 2012 since they are the ones that are directly connected with SDF Macross. That in my opinion would really go a long way to saying that they want to Macross and RT to coexist, instead of backing a manga of a series that no one in the US other then Macross fans and even then hardcore ones have any knowledge of.

Edited by Effect

It could be because HG is a business. They've used Macross as an "exclusive" product with which they can market to the enthusiast and/or hardcore anime fan.

To make Macross as readily available would affect further marketing of RT.

I cannot blame them for attempting to make RT more accessible than Macross, since it definitely helps their market.

I got a response:

Hi,

Sounds to me that BW didn't like TokyoPop involving HG. What ever the outcome it seems to me that HG has more than proven that they're willing to have Macross and RT co-exist.

As long as they get a piece of the action.

I got a response:

Hi,

As long as they get a piece of the action.

I think the whole point is whether or not they deserve a piece of the action.

It's been said of both sides before- HG and BigWest- that both companies are only trying to secure the rights of what they believe is theirs.

So, theoretically (drunk man), if BigWest thinks that HG has no rights whatsoever and, hence, pulls the plug on TokyoPop's pipeline, is that wrong?

Well, for us fans- Yes. We're itching for a legit version of Trash (hell, even Wrylac is, the loveable chump! :) ).

But remember that both BigWest and HG are profit-minded companies. They walk the fine line between marketability and fan-service. It's a tough job.

And I'm drunk.

Just call me Roy.

But if they really wanted Macross and RT to coexist why not create an unedited dubbed version of SDF Macross.

Because it would "confuse people."

Specifically the people that don't understand the diffrence betwen the products and keep asking for "uncut Robotech" or "undubbed Robotech" or some such nonsense.

Or attempt to bring over DYRL? or 2012 since they are the ones that are directly connected with SDF Macross.

I read somewhere that Animeigo'd been trying to get the rights for DYRL, but the paper trail got too long for them to feasibly track down who, if anyone, actually HAS the license right now, so they dropped it.

Same old story. And for once, it's one that doesn't involve HG.

Or attempt to bring over DYRL? or 2012 since they are the ones that are directly connected with SDF Macross.

I read somewhere that Animeigo'd been trying to get the rights for DYRL, but the paper trail got too long for them to feasibly track down who, if anyone, actually HAS the license right now, so they dropped it.

Same old story. And for once, it's one that doesn't involve HG.

Yep. Robert Woodhead was asked about DYRL?. Right now, I count 2-3 companiess that have the license and they are in Europe and the USA.

One question about the DYRL? license: Hasn't any of the interested parties (Robert Woodhead et.al) asked Toho? Toho has international distro rights granted direct from Big West. If anyone's able to at least shed some light on who has what in the international arena, it should be Toho.

Harmony Gold has proven it is willing to take other people's $$$money$$$ behind Big West's back.:rolleyes:

The outcome is just as I suspected. It is the only logical outcome in the affair of the domestic release of Macross 7 Trash. Big West could not possibly allow a Macross derivative to have the HG stamp of approval lest they lose the whole franchise to HG.

vinnie

Having Macross and Robotech coexisting isn't the problem. The problem is from my understand from listening and reading is HG claiming things or saying they won't stop things(as if they actually have a right to stop it) when it isn't clear what they actually have the rights to when it comes to sequels. We know they have the rights to SDF Macross but nothing has been said on anything else. I doubt anyone would complain if a court said HG had the rights to all of the Macross sequels. Hell even TP hasn't said that they own all things Macross. It looked like they were fine with their own franchises and could care less before the whole legal mess started. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But if they really wanted Macross and RT to coexist why not create an unedited dubbed version of SDF Macross. Or create Macross toys without the RT label at the same prices of the RT items. Or create a website for SDF Macross and have it and Robotech.com have links back and forth to each other. Or attempt to bring over DYRL? or 2012 since they are the ones that are directly connected with SDF Macross. That in my opinion would really go a long way to saying that they want to Macross and RT to coexist, instead of backing a manga of a series that no one in the US other then Macross fans and even then hardcore ones have any knowledge of.

See, Effect, this is why I love you. :) That's why I can't believe a word that comes out fo the HG camp because what they have done as of now is very little for Macross (that includes the DVD release which barely has any advertising for these days if any). You understand the reasons why the so called "hardcore Macross fans" do not believe HG wants the original Macross to co-exist with Robotech. You pretty much listed all of what they could do if they really wanted to without insulting the fans by claiming the fans would get confused. Still they have only shown that they wish to claim all that is Macross so they may bury it and promote only Robotech. The small mentioning of Macross on RT.com are just forms of covering their butt to give the illusion of their support of Macross IMO. I've often stated they could release a whole new dub unedited which is closest like they had originally intended (even witht the sorry corny Macross theme music). Thanks, Effect, for being an open minded RT fan who's not out to strictly defend HG's actions no matter what. :D

See, Effect, this is why I love you. :) That's why I can't believe a word that comes out fo the HG camp because what they have done as of now is very little for Macross (that includes the DVD release which barely has any advertising for these days if any). You understand the reasons why the so called "hardcore Macross fans" do not believe HG wants the original Macross to co-exist with Robotech. You pretty much listed all of what they could do if they really wanted to without insulting the fans by claiming the fans would get confused. Still they have only shown that they wish to claim all that is Macross so they may bury it and promote only Robotech. The small mentioning of Macross on RT.com are just forms of covering their butt to give the illusion of their support of Macross IMO. I've often stated they could release a whole new dub unedited which is closest like they had originally intended (even witht the sorry corny Macross theme music). Thanks, Effect, for being an open minded RT fan who's not out to strictly defend HG's actions no matter what. :D

I agree with both of you. HG has had opportunities to show their support for both series and they haven't done anything about it. The only thing they have done is continually pump life into Robotech and try to bury any awareness over here of Macross, a great example of that is the lawsuit threats over imported Macross toys last year.

Just saw your post in the other forum, AL. I think it's just HG's gambit, just as Sunwards was to Yamato. I don't think anyone (Yamato included) ever thought Sunwards would take off, Yamato just wanted to see what would happen. Same thing with HG and M7 Trash, they probably had little faith in the venture, but wanted to see how Japan would react. In end end. HG and Yamato merely wanted a documented incident that they could cite, should this matter ever be taken to court. Ok, I need some sleep. :unsure:

Just saw your post in the other forum, AL. I think it's just HG's gambit, just as Sunwards was to Yamato. I don't think anyone (Yamato included) ever thought Sunwards would take off, Yamato just wanted to see what would happen. Same thing with HG and M7 Trash, they probably had little faith in the venture, but wanted to see how Japan would react. In end end. HG and Yamato merely wanted a documented incident that they could cite, should this matter ever be taken to court. Ok, I need some sleep. :unsure:

I wasn't too terribly surprised that this happened. Though I was definitely planning on picking up 7 Trash if it was released, I am not that big of a 7 fan so if it doesn't come here, it isn't a huge loss to me.

Great so both companies can block each other's products..good way to keep a fanbase happy....

Here's a little tidbit about more Macross nonsense from Anime Weekend Atlanta...not sure what to make of this...

AnimEigo stated that a DVD version of the Macross movie will likely never be released in America because of disputes over ownership of the title in Japan. Likewise the Macross 7 TV series will probably never have an official English language release in part due to copyright ownership disputes over its music.

bankofkev posted the below content at robotech.com

Though I may have some disagreement with some of what he says in this (namely overlooking Harmony Gold's faults in this mess), I think there is some validity to it.

One of the interesting aspects of the debate that is brought up by Macross Purists is the idea that HG does little to promote Macross products or go out and produce new product licenses.

Here is good example of that sentiment on MW:

muswp1

Posted: Sep 27 2003, 02:39 PM

HG has had opportunities to show their support for both series and they haven't done anything about it. The only thing they have done is continually pump life into Robotech and try to bury any awareness over here of Macross, a great example of that is the lawsuit threats over imported Macross toys last year.

While I do not agree with this statement I’m reposting it here as a illustration of the feelings shared by many in the purist movement on this issue.

Well during the 2003 SDCC Robotech Panel it was disclosed by Tommy Yune that:

"And a big new announcement for this Comic-Con. We're very, very pleased to announce that ToykoPop, starting next April, ToykoPop will start releasing Haruhiko Mikimoto's popular Japanese manga series Macross 7 Trash. Many of you may have picked up the Japanese or French Mangas from different sources, but here we are very, very happy to finally announce an authorized English language release for the U.S. market."

Also here is the official Statement form Tokyopop:

TokyoPop to Publish MACROSS 7 TRASH Manga

Highly Anticipated and Coveted Series will Debut in April 2004

Author: Kristien Brada-Thompson

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Comic-Con, San Diego, CA (July 18, 2003) - Further solidifying its position as the leading U.S. manga publisher, TOKYOPOP Inc. is pleased to announce the addition of Macross 7 Trash to its 2004 manga release schedule. The legendary and complex Macross universe is seminal in the history of anime and manga. There have been thousands of Macross TV anime episodes, movies, manga volumes, toys, and videogames, spanning multiple distinct series. Macross - which was released worldwide by Harmony Gold - recently celebrated its 20th Anniversary and is known to many television viewers as Robotech.

One of the most popular incarnations of this franchise is Macross 7. The fan-favorite Macross 7 Trash manga is known as a side-story to the anime - set in the same world, but featuring different themes, characters and tone. Created by Mikimoto Haruhiko (Gundam 0080, Orguss), Macross 7 Trash features a complex, layered, character-driven narrative that adds immeasurably to the overall richness and diversity of the Macross experience. The story was originally serialized in Japan's Shounen Ace magazine from 1994 to 2001.

"TOKYOPOP looks forward to not only sharing this compelling series with its existing fanbase here in America, but also to introducing a whole new audience of readers to Macross 7 Trash," said the company's President & COO John Parker.

I thought this was a good deal for all parties involved in fact here is what I said at the time on 8/21/03 typos and all!

I would like to say that I fully support this deal. In fact this deal benfits everyone , even the macrosspurists:

How?

1. Big West gets one of its Macross Derivites into the US and thus gets revenue from the interantional market.

2. HG is able to protect its exclusive ownership of Macross along with protecting its licencees rights and thier future projects.

3. Tokyopop gets to release a manga that Robotech fans would love to see. PLUS they have the full backing (not to mention blessing)of HG and its marketing via Robotech.com

4. The Macross Purists get what they been screaming for: Macross Derivitves easily availble to them with out having outragoues import fees or fear by reatilers of vists by HG legal...

I firmly believe this then and I still believe it now. HG staffers have repeatedly said that there door is open to a deal. Well we have seen that this is not idle chit chat but HG backs it up with actions! Great news for everyone….

Well just as things were starting to look good a new (or as could be the case old) monkey came in with a blowtorch to screw this up…

Recently Tokyopop had taken down its press release about Macross 7 trash. White Drew Carey sent them a e-mail asking what was up well on 9/23/03 he got a response:

I got a response:

To: "Jeff Sorley"

Hi,

I’m sure many of you have seen that HG has taken down the press release also. Now we do NOT know what the delay is. I suspect it is one of two things.

1. There are production problems with the manga.

2. BW has pulled the license from Tokyopop.

Sadly my gut feeling is that it is number 2. Now I must point out that there has been NO official statement from any party (BW, HG , Tokyopop) as to why there is this delay and I ask that you keep this in mind as you read what I write below. I would love to be wrong on this one….

IF Big West has pulled the the M7Trash license from Tokyopop then this battle between Big West and Harmony Gold has taken a dark turn.

Why?

1. There is no chance you will see a approved translation here in the US thanks to Big West.

Folks Tokyopop is not going to to release this without HG approval. Why? Tokyopop knows who is the trademark owner of SDF:Macross here in the US and internationally (except Japan) and it is Harmony Gold. Why should Tokyopop risk a legal engagement with HG that Tokyopop would lose? After all we have seen that Big West will do nothing to help Tokyopop. Thin I’m wrong? Well does anyone remember Su-----ds in 2002? Which leads me to…

2. Big West has lost its chance to gain entry into the international market.

HG controls the keys to the international kingdom. The Jan 2003 only strengthens HG argument. HG is the owner of SDF:Macross thus any macros derivative must get clearance from them to be released outside of Japan. BW gave up its international merchandising rights to Tatsunoko in 1982 (disclosed by HG at the 2002 AX RT panel). HG controls the keys to this kingdom and BW knows it. However BW has really hurt themselves because:

2. It is doubtful that any US company will do business with Big West to release new Macross products.

Tokyopop has pretty much lost whatever money it has put into this deal. As I stated before Tokyopop cant release this without a legal challenge from HG, unless there is a agreement. Why should any company go out and pay money to BW to get rights for Macross merchandise if BW forbids them to work with HG? No US company is going to engage in a costly legal battle with HG for BW benefit when there is little chance of success. Which leads me to:

3.Big West has just lost millions in international revenue.

Well no one was going to rake in millions off Macross 7 Trash. However this deal could have been a bridge for future deals that could have brought more products over (B---ai, Ya---to, Ha----ga, et. al.) which would have brought millions for Big West. Now its gone….

4. Big West just screwed over its fans big time.

Macross Purists (who have fought for BW here on line in the US) have lost their chance to get Macross products widely available at cheap prices thanks to BW. I ask the purists to explain to me how this action (if it was big west who pulled the plug) helps their cause? Just the opposite has occurred for reasons I stated above. HG is not affected if this does not happen but you are…

If Big West has pulled the plug on this deal they have screwed Tokyopop, Macross Fans and any chance to end this war in the near future.

Once again I must state that we do not know if Big West pulled the plug. There is NO official statement from anyone as to why this is happening. I personally would love for this to be a simple production distribution problem. If it is I will gladly say I was wrong.

However if its not….

Harmony Gold answered the fans call…It appears Big West doesn’t want to listen.

Bankofkev

bankofkev posted the below content at robotech.com

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

Bankofkev

So...to sum up, HG is a benevolent corproate entity that selflessly gives it's all to provide the fans what they want, but as usual those greedy ogres at BW have derailed Trash just because they're bad, bad men. <_<

Come on, this is the same uber-biased garbage he's been peddling here since before I stopped lurking and joined. Without any facts (at least, none that are presented in his ramblings) he paints BW as the usual baddies that rain on HG's big happy Robo-parade. Hey, what if HG had no business getting a piece of the action for Trash to begin with?

What a coward that jerkoff is!!! He won't speak up for himself here but has to go quoting us over on RT.com where some of us cannot voice our opinions. What a joke! I'll have you know I tend to ignore anything he says when the words Macross and Purists are int he first sentence.