Interest thread for 1/1000 Oberth resin kit

honneamise

Thank you for the scans Chad!!!

I´ve also found the lineart in my Miyatake Design book. Next to these "finished" linearts there are some early sketches of the thing, slightly different with only one fin on the back but otherwise similar overall.

What´s interesting is there is a man standing besides the plane for scale, and if I measure correctly the Ghost is not longer than about 8 meters. I always thought it was about the size of a manned fighter but it´s obviously smaller. Makes sense since the new, "old" Ghost for the VF-0 is pretty small as well. 

In 1/72 that will be about 11cm. Are there any published stats which contradict or confirm this size? I can only find artwork but no hard facts so far...

332029[/snapback]

You're welcome, I can send you the 600dpi file if you like so you can really see the details.

The only stats I know of are in the RPG books but those can be unrealiable.

Here's some stats I found:

http://www.artemisgames.com/robotech/Aircraft/Ghost.html

Some other info as well:

http://anime.net/macross/mecha/united_nati...3000/index.html

Edited by Grayson72

Thank you for the scans Chad!!!

I´ve also found the lineart in my Miyatake Design book. Next to these "finished" linearts there are some early sketches of the thing, slightly different with only one fin on the back but otherwise similar overall.

What´s interesting is there is a man standing besides the plane for scale, and if I measure correctly the Ghost is not longer than about 8 meters. I always thought it was about the size of a manned fighter but it´s obviously smaller. Makes sense since the new, "old" Ghost for the VF-0 is pretty small as well. 

In 1/72 that will be about 11cm. Are there any published stats which contradict or confirm this size? I can only find artwork but no hard facts so far...

332029[/snapback]

You're welcome, I can send you the 600dpi file if you like so you can really see the details.

The only stats I know of are in the RPG books but those can be unrealiable.

Some other info as well:

http://anime.net/macross/mecha/united_nati...3000/index.html

332035[/snapback]

The second list information is from Macross Compendium. They only list the official "cannon" data. So there may be no more info on the plane. If you base the size on the figure standing next to it I suggest you find out what the average hight for a Japanese male is. I know of an engineering model that had to have it's scale figures cut off at the shins because the plant was being built in Hong Kong. :lol:

SNIP

SNIP

332035[/snapback]

According to the stats found in this link, the Ghost is 16 meters long.

That would mean a Ghost in 1/72 would be 22.22 cm long (8.75 inches).

If this is indeed correct, this Ghost is longer, and bigger overall, than a Valk!!

Edited by Viceland

Big confusion <_< I mean, 16m is 2times the size I figure out from the Miyatake book! One of the sources states the TV Ghost was big because it was based on the "Super Bird" (see P. 46 of the Miyatake book). While this design resembles the Ghost in having a lifting body, it seems to have nothing to do with Macross and any similarities do not maen it must have a similar size - to me it seems all these sites are just making up their own stats to fit their RPG needs.

On the other hands, as cobywan says, I think I should take the figure next to the plane as a fact - but was it an average japanese male Miyatake had in mind or did he base his figure on Roy Focker? :blink:

My thoughts are that the Ghost should be considerably smaller than a Valkyrie based on:

-the figure of course

-the landing gear which seems to indicate a light plane, at least smaller than a Valk

-the "fact" that there was a Ghost in M0 and it was much smaller than a VF-0. OK, I must admit that the VF-0 is bigger than the VF-1 but that has something to do with bigger engines and other systems. Same "miniaturizing" could have happened to the Ghost design so it might have become somewhat smaller too.

I don't think the Ghost in M0 is a good comparison though, I mean the Ghost in M0 was meant more as a booster and decoy where as the QF3000 is a fully armed and functional aircraft.

I'd just bump up your calculations a bit due to the small stature that could be associated with the man in the picture.

Another thing to look at is the Sucessor X-9 from Mplus.

Steelfalcon.com states 10,80 m in length. Chad I know you´re the proud owner of a perfectly built X-9. What scale (1/72 I bet) is it and how long is the model? Maybe this can shed a little light on the subject.

Speculations again but I find it quite likely that the TV Ghost should be about the same size or maybe slightly bigger. 8 meters are too short for me when compared to a VF-1 but these 16 meters is way over the top - this is not a bomber!!

I´d say it looks best at about 15 cm - smaller than a Valk yet still slightly bulkier, but that´s just my imagination....

Hello, I looked at the picture you referred to with the guy next to the Ghost. The fighter is actually turned slightly to the right (you can see the rear booster fully). In the full line drawings the proportions are larger than they are in the sketch.

The X-9 is in 1/72 (I know what a shocker). From end to end it measures 10"s but it's got a long tail. The tail on it is about 1".

I agree 16m seems silly.

Edited by Grayson72

I´ve been considering all the artwork, made-up facts, thoughts and opinions and I ended (or started) up with a sideview sketch.

It is based on a length of 13,4 m which is still a rather small craft, but as you can see from the figure on the left, it does almost fit the Miyatake design sketch: the guys head is almost level with the Ghost´s nose.

In 1/72 this makes it about 18,5cm in length and as you can see it is not that much smaller than a Valkyrie and it looks pretty compact.

I based the "head" (the "cockpit" with the big sensor) on screenshots from the first episode but I think it appears too rounded. I will make it less pronounced like the one in the Miyatake sketches, looks more menacing IMO.

post-2845-1128493436_thumb.jpg

Here is the screenshot. The Ghosts are not too detailed and the one in the background has a different colouring with an all white nose.

Proportions do not look as elegant and sleek as in the Miyatake book, it seems to be quite a bit "beefier".

I think this is the only scene in the series where you can actually see the Ghost in action.

post-2845-1128494386_thumb.jpg

That´s right LTSO! - it´s kinda off-topic to talk about the Ghost in an Oberth thread. I´ll start a new thread for the Ghost and keep this one for Oberth stuff -

by the way, has anyone finished the kit yet? I´ve had no time over the last weeks but it won´t take too long now..

That´s right  LTSO! - it´s kinda off-topic to talk about the Ghost in an Oberth thread. I´ll start a new thread for the Ghost and keep this one for Oberth stuff -

by the way, has anyone finished the kit yet? I´ve had no time over the last weeks but it won´t take too long now..

334141[/snapback]

You're crazy, we don't actually build the kits we all collect here, we just collect them :lol:

Isn't that right LTSO?

You're crazy, we don't actually build the kits we all collect here, we just collect them  :lol:

Isn't that right LTSO?

334148[/snapback]

Ouch. I do it a little different. I half build them and then put it in a box and start a new one. Right now I have An almost finished Wave VF-11, Cat's Eye with fuselage together, half finished Hase Vf-1S Strike Battroid, The cockpit of my Hase SV-51 painted, 2 Macross bases sanded and cleaned, not to mention all my NON-Macross stuff.

honneamismoscatomeyersjessegundamheadgraysonmonkeynugget keep sending me resin... and I keep piling it in my basement.

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

Haha, I´ve got the same hobby - starting model kits! And then I have the nerves to even create new ones.... have I told you that I really like my half finished Oberth? It looks great between the half finished Gundams and my half finished french cruiser. Not to mention all the other kits lying half finished in their boxes.... really sometimes I wish I had only like 10 kits and no interest in buying new ones - maybe I´d actually finish some then!! <_< Instead the pile in the basement keeps getting bigger! :(

Just a note....

Only two QF-2200As were modified for VF-0s to act as boosters. The QF-2200 Ghost is a fully-functionally craft with numerous variations (at least 5) which as been in service for some time before Macross Zero(mass production started in 2002):

See: http://nanashino.macrossmecha.info/aerospcraft/qf2200d.html and http://nanashino.macrossmecha.info/variabl...ostbooster.html

-nanashino

www.macrossmecha.info

I mean the Ghost in M0 was meant more as a booster and decoy where as the QF3000 is a fully armed and functional aircraft. 

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, just got my kit today in the mail. Thanks for making one for me honneamise!

Its beautiful! Very detailed and awesome quality!

-Nanashi's

www.macrossmecha.info

338337[/snapback]

Thanks Nanashi, I´m glad you like it. I hope to ultimately finish mine in a few days and post some pics here....

• 2 weeks later...
honneamise

Awsome kit man, I am glad I ordered it from ya. lol I am almost to afraid of putting it toghter for fear of major screw up on it.

Angus

338765[/snapback]

No need to be afraid, Angus! I´ve finished it now and the only tricky thing was the two-tone paint scheme. And of course the 4 antennae on the engine compartments will break off if no stand is used.

Here are some pics:

post-2845-1130750783_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
This model is still available for purchase it?

I live in Chile (Southamerica)

349450[/snapback]

Hello Cool8or and welcome to MW!

At the moment I have none left and some of the molds need replacement. If some more people are interested (maybe about 8-10) I will make a new production run, PM me if you´re interested. May take some time ´though...

• 1 month later...
Guest Bromgrev
May i have permission to make a model of that yellow fighter aircraft? I like the design it has an old world quality to it. Your a great visual designer.

326934[/snapback]

Thank you HWR MKII :D I like the idea of retro style SF - in fact Wings of Honneamise was the first (and IMO still the best) movie I saw that featured a completely different yet familiar world where everything down to door bells and money was newly invented! This one fired my imagination and it still does, even more than star wars or anything that jumped the retro train ever since.

The yellow plane was an idea I had for a scratchbuilt model, but as I never had the time to build it, I thought doing a painting with the plane and its supposed surrounding was just as good without taking too much time.

So if you want to make a model of the plane I´d be really excited. It is actually an honor that you consider my drawings worthy of trying your skills on them and I´d love to see my plane in three dimensions! But don´t forget to post pics ;)

327345[/snapback]

Sooo ... any updates on the Yellow plane, HWR MKII? :)

Nope not yet. I havnt found a local supplier of balsa foam which would be the best thing to shape the fuselage out of. i want to hack out some of the kits in the pile my wife got me for christmas. Almost done with the FMMF.

365823[/snapback]

You lucky man!! I'd love to see some pictures of it when you finish. Man, I'd need to work and save up for this puppy.

By the way, great work honneamise - looks absolutely fantastic.