Interest thread for 1/1000 Oberth resin kit

honneamise

Following my "scratchbuilding Oberth" thread, I am now pretty sure the little model I have made will finally look good enough to make a kit out of it, so it is time to start a new, dedicated interest thread to find out if there is enough demand to "mass-produce" this ship.

I think if at least 20 people want one I´ll start making molds. I´ve been thinking about cost and ended up on an estimated 65-70 EURO each.

My plans are to make the kit have (about) 28 parts. There will be one solid hull with a separate nose cone and separate three-piece engines. Smaller parts like the missile banks, auxiliary engines, guns and antenna mast will be cast separately to make painting easier and of course to give you something to assemble ;) personally I don´t like those one-piece-chunks-of-resin that you only have to paint; this should be a real kit. I intent to make all rubber molds two-part with interlocking "pins" to prevent misaligned seams on the parts and I intend to use pressure casting to get rid of air bubbles.

If you really want one (or more :D ) please post here to help me find out if there is enough demand.

I am quite new to MW so I won´t ask anybody for a downpayment or anything. I will PM all of you when I definitely know that the molds are OK and the first full kits are right in front of me. Then you can of course still decide if this thing is worth your hard earned money! :D

The shipping cost will be an estimated 18 EURO outside Europe, within the E.E.C. it will be cheaper. If you want more than one kit but don´t need separate boxes I can get two kits in it for the same shipping fee (same price from 500g to 1000g).

For pics of the model in progress go to the Oberth thread. As soon as I have pics of the completed ship or the final parts I will of course post them here!!

Just forgot to tell some basics about the model ;) This kit is a 1/1000 model of the Oberth class spaceship as seen in the first episodes of SDF Macross TV series. I went with an estimated length of 215m so the kit will be about 21,5 cm long. There is not much lineart(see Perfect Memory book) and what there is is not too consistent. The main source I used (still use cause it is not finished yet ) is the perspective view you can see here. It is quite consistent with what you see on screen (the "blow up"scene in Ep.3) so I found this is the best reference. I used the side/front view as well but altered some proportions such as the length of the "hump" behind the bridge and the size/position of the missile banks (way too small/too much forward in the side view). So it is more "anime accurate" than "lineart accurate" but I hope you like it that way!!

post-3-1118054886_thumb.jpg

I'm definitely interested.

Do you have any time frame for when the parts will be ready?

Also, Just a suggestion here. Would it be possible, and cheaper to have US kits shipped in bulk to one trustworthy person who could then ship out to individuals?

I'm definately in. Please continuously update your first post with the names of those who are interested, paid, been shipped to, etc. Similar to other for sale threads by Samurai Monkey. It just helps to keep everything straight.

Thanks

Edited by Grayson72

I really don't need to spend more money on models, but after seeing the latest

pictures of your buildup, I have to go in for one.

Besides, it will look neat next to the 1/1000 Polar Lights Star Trek Ships.

Thank you for your support guys!

Here is a pic of what the kit will finally look like. Some of the parts are cut&paste cause I´ve only built them once so far. I just made it up to get you an idea what to expect. Some things might still change a bit but this is basically what you will get if all goes well.

I hope to get the molds ready at the end of next week, so if I stay in schedule this kit might be shipping in about three weeks :) .

post-3-1118236743_thumb.jpg

If you can look into Jardann's suggestion about mailing a bulk lot to someone in the U.S. to bring shipping down a little, then you could count me in! I'm teetering on the fence right now with the 18 Euro shipping (unless the US dollar makes some dramatic comeback).

Well once I know how many kits will go to the United States I will figure out how much an insured parcel with the complete batch will cost. I basically like the idea of all of them shipped at once, but unfortunately I have no friends or relatives in the U.S. so I wonder who´d be willing to do all the packing and shipping within the States - this is a job definitely not done in one hour I guess. The only thing I can offer is that the guy who does all the work will get his kit for free....

Well, with that offer, I would gladly take care of repacking and shipping! :D:lol:

But, I'm in St. Louis MO. The heart of Middle America, so I'm sure you could ship it cheaper to someone on the East coast. :(;)

I'm sure we will be able to find a trustworthy person who would put out a little effort for the rest of us resin heads. :p

I'm on the east coast, about 100 miles from the Atlantic. As I said, I'm all setup for shipping stuff. I have boxes, bubblewrap, tape and styrofoam peanuts. I do this stuff everyday, and would be more than happy to carefully package up all those treasures and ship them out in trade for one of those beauties!

On a side note. Meyersjesse has a great relationship with us MW people. He brokered several deals for us over the last few years. We all trust him implicitly. I'm sure we would all be happy to pay him a litte for his services. He's a totally upright guy.

I'd be willing to do it too, I sent you a PM.

RTjunkie, no offense but we don't know you.

If not me then definately Jessee.

Edited by Grayson72

No offense taken. I understand that I'm a newbie here, and haven't worked my way into your community yet. My background.....Robotech models are my passion. I say Robotech, because I'm into the ships and mech from all 3 series, not just Macross (as well as Star Wars). I have multiples of almost every one of the Arii, BanDai, Imai, L&S, and Hasegawa kits ever produced, and am just now discovering the resin world. All I have so far in resin is a couple of 1/100 zen fighter pods, and 2 of the 1/72 Alpha/Beta kits. I've been collecting ever since the show first aired on ABC in the 80's.

I'm still working my way up the skill curve, but have begun to get the hang of using an airbrush, and some of the details, like weathering and panel lines. I've also managed to modify some 1/200 scale VF's and a Regult pod with LED's and fiber optics, and just recently modified a 1/20000 zentraedi flagship to simulate it entering a fold by installing a white LED with an aluminum foil reflector and a stained blue lens. I live in Vermont, and it's hard to find anyone around here who's into modeling, and who I could learn from personally. Luckily I found the "How to build models kits" on here, and see it contains a wealth of advise, as well as some amazing, even unbeleivable work. Most of the guys around here are into drinking cheap beer, getting in their hopped up trucks and seeing how many road signs they can yank out of the ground in an evening, or just want to talk about "huntin'". Not that there's anything wrong with it, just not my thing.

I am on the East coast, and might be able to save everyone some $$ on shipping, so when the time comes to pick someone, at least consider me. No one would have to pay me a dime for the extra service, as just getting one of those beauties would be payment enough for me.

I have a fully stocked shipping area, with boxes, bubblewrap, styrofoam peanuts, and even sheet foam. Maybe by the time they're ready to ship, I'll earn some trust. I'm extremely anal by nature (probably why I became a mechanical engineer) so would treat everyone's treasure like it was my own.

I figured I'd start a list of people who want one for our friend Honneamise just so we can keep things straight.

I'll make edits to it over time.

Total kits on order (20)

Akim (1) paid, shipped

Cobywan (2) paid, shipped

Viceland (1) paid, shipped

Jardann (1) paid, shipped

Grayson72 (1) n/a

Goshawk (1) paid, shipped

Thor (1) paid, shipped

Harlock (1) paid, shipped

Ranger565 (1) paid, holding

Azrhino (1) paid, shipped

Valkyrie (1) paid, shipped

RTjunkie (1) paid, shipped

Mechmaster (1) paid, shipped

shdwfx2000 (1) paid, shipped

Newbie (1) ?

Neptunesurvey (2) paid, shipped

Darklord4 (1) paid, shipped

Lo Pan (1) paid, shipped

Edited by Grayson72

Thank you for all your support guys, I had never dreamed that several people are willing to ship these kits within the United States!!!

Well Grayson72 was the first to PM me and he was so very supportive to the whole thing here and of course he is a long time member so I felt he is the right one to do it - without questioning the sincerety and reliability of any other member here who offered to do it, again THANK YOU ALL! By the way, Grayson72, thank you for putting up the list!!

Now it´s my turn to get this kit done.... I´m not yet ready with all the molds, there are still three to make. Moreover, I still don´t like how the bow part comes out, maybe I can make it a one-piece mold...the engines still have some air bubbles on one side but I guess I just need more pressure here.. still some issues to solve, but all in all I´m quite happy with what came out so far, take a look.

post-3-1119258876_thumb.jpg