I'm expecting War of the Worlds to not be a complete disaster (at least it should be visually interesting), but after the fiasco that was Minority Report, I have no hope for Spielberg and Cruise to not fart up a classic.

I think War of the Worlds looks very promising. From the trailers I've seen, it looks like it's keeping closer to the books than the 1954 film (I'm assuming that the scene with the Martians knocking over the bridge is suppsosed to emulate the scene where the Martians are attacking the ferries in the book). Not to mention that, for a little kid, Dakota Fanning is one hell of an actor.

But I kinda liked Minority Report.

Aaargh! When is Hollywood going to stop making American copies of Japanese copies of 'Ring'? mad.gif Dark Water was boring enough in the 'original'.

Dark Water isn't a remake of Ring. Dark Water was a remake of Honogurai Mizu no Soko Kara, aka Dark Water. The Japanese film was based on the short story Floating Water, which was part of a collection of short stories by Koji Suzuki. They're very similar, though, since Koji Suzuki also wrote the novel Ring, and the film was directed by Hideo Nakata who directed Ring, Ring 2, and the American Ring Two.

Although I see a disturbing trend in the remake of Japanese films, I did like the first Ring remake, and I did like the Grudge (although neither as much as the originals). Also, I thought the Japanese version of Dark Water was pretty good, and the remake looks pretty close to the Japanese version. I'll check it out.

BTW, if you're tired of American movies about Japanese horror stories, you might as well start complaining now... the rights to Adrift, another story from the Dark Water collection, has supposedly been picked up.

In addition to those, I'm going to see Fantastic Four and Batman Begins for sure. I might be tempted to see this Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Haven't given much thought to any of the others.

Oh my oh my, what a sorry year for movies. Out of all the movie's on EXO's list, the only ones I have any interest in at all are: -
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • George A. Romero's Land of the Dead
  • The Devil's Rejects

Graham

I thought Howl's Moving Castle came out in Hong Kong several months ago. Did you miss it?

The Hong Kong adaptation of Initial D will also come out in July. It looks somewhat interesting.

Edited by Ivan

You know, personally, I'll be really interested in seeing how they do War of the Worlds. I read the book a long time ago, and it really seemed like most of it was more of a psychological story than anything else.. from what I remember, most of the book took place in an abandoned/half destroyed farm house, looking out of cracks in walls to see what was going on. Not much action in the latter half at all. The visuals will be incredible of course, but I'm sure I did see a ferry get toasted in the trailer. So, I'm assuming they just adapted things as best they could to include the newer technology.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will probably be seriously weird, but it's supposed to be, definitely see it eventually.

Stealth? All kinds of things wrong with it, but I'll probably see it with friends just for the pure sci-fi/aircraft cheese factor, and laugh my butt off at the Mac+ similarities. But not at full price. :p

Batman Begins sounds very good...

The Love Bug 2005? Holy crap on a stick Disney. That franchise died a LOOOONNNGGGG time ago. Died a horrible meaningless death when Herbie got stranded on some banana boat to the bahamas or something. Yeah, now Herbie looks like he got put through an episode of "pimp my ride"... all he's missing are the spinning rims (or, wait, did he have them and I blocked it out?). Let sleeping legends die in piece you unoriginal plot whores.

The one thing that I'm REALLY looking forward to isn't coming till December. I was plenty excited about Star Wars already, but when I saw the four kids get off the train, I was already going "Whoa." I've always wanted to see the Chronicles of Narnia in LOTR style, and this looks like it could be it. The music in the trailer was great, and I hear they're using the same people from the WETA workshop that did LOTR... So I'm really hoping it turns out well. If it doesn't, heads will roll, but they have to know that to screw up this story would be just about as bad as if Peter Jackson had royally screwed up LOTR. Some people I know only got into LOTR after reading the CoN. Okay, I'll admit, I'm probably way over-enthusiastic about it, but I've been waiting for someone to make this ever since LOTR started. Here's hoping it'll be the perfect movie to end the year.

War of the Worlds is a maybe on my list to see. Tom Cruise in HG Wells film? I dunno. I think he needs to stick back to Mission Impossible.

Batman Begins, I think i would watch. It has Katie Holmes but that isnt the reason why I should watch the film. If it was, I would go watch Stealth just to see Jessica Biel... but I am not.

As for Herbie... It has Lindsey Lohan in it but why. I am not spending good money after crap.

Batman Begins, I think i would watch. It has Katie Holmes but that isnt the reason why I should watch the film. If it was, I would go watch Stealth just to see Jessica Biel... but I am not.

You should not watch Stealth for any reason. :D

My wife wants to see this movie. I told her to go have fun im no going. I only know of 2 Pitt movies where he doesnt end up looking like some weird drugged up crack whore, Meet joe black and Seven. i havnt seen all his stuff mind you but im not impressed by what i have seen from him.

Side note

Stealth=Robot Jox

wait a minute ive spent time to watch robot jox, stealth i will not.

Edited by HWR MKII

Summer movies have been the same forever. Jurassic Park. ID4. Wild Wild West. Deep Blue Sea.

Remember, its summer time, the kiddies are off of school, and their brains are shut off. Summer movies = no thinking. Its always been like that. Yet every year everyone whines that "no decent movies are being released this summer" like its something new.

heh, sorry to put a damper on the groaning in this thread. Please proceed with the loathing of Hollywood at your soonest convience.

Jessica Biel sucks.

Blasphemy!! :D

I wouldn't bother dating any girl who didn't suck. :p

Graham

literaly, one can only hope.

bah...don't remind me... <_<

I mean, what good was it that she could fit her fist in her mouth?!?! Novelty is sooo overrated...:angry::rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

I only know of 2 Pitt movies where he doesnt end up looking like some weird drugged up crack whore, Meet joe black and Seven. i havnt seen all his stuff mind you but im not impressed by what i have seen from him.

But Fight Club was still an awesome movie.

Jun 17           The Perfect Man  Universal

Heh, I don't know they were releasing a movie about Agent ONE. :D

I know I shouldn't feed his ego, otherwise his head will pop one of these days :lol:

Graham

*BOOM*

Great... Cleanup on Cat No. 1... Cleanup on Cat No 1... Another Pilot-grade Ego burst. :D

I'm torn between seeing the Smiths in the theatre on wait til it hits DVD. Most likely I'll just wait. It just doesn't have that much a draw on me.

Batman Begins on the other hand I'll most likely see in theatres. For better or worse, I've seen all the Bat-flicks in theatres. Can't break tradition, can we? (don't answer that)

As for Stealth, I'll just pop in my Macross Plus OAV's. XD

Jessica Biel sucks.

Blasphemy!! :D

I wouldn't bother dating any girl who didn't suck. :p

Graham

literaly, one can only hope.

bah...don't remind me... <_<

I mean, what good was it that she could fit her fist in her mouth?!?! Novelty is sooo overrated...:angry::rolleyes:

As if there should be debate, Jolie IS well worth the price of admission. And imo Pitt is an entertaining actor. Certainly not Oscar worthy but definatly a good summer flick. Vaughn as comic releif is also something I look forward to seeing.

The Love Bug 2005? Holy crap on a stick Disney. That franchise died a LOOOONNNGGGG time ago. Died a horrible meaningless death when Herbie got stranded on some banana boat to the bahamas or something. Yeah, now Herbie looks like he got put through an episode of "pimp my ride"... all he's missing are the spinning rims (or, wait, did he have them and I blocked it out?). Let sleeping legends die in piece you unoriginal plot whores.

Hearing about Herbie brings out one Hollywood definition of irony:

A Jewish-run film company making millions on a movie about a car originally conceived by Hitler.

I only know of 2 Pitt movies where he doesnt end up looking like some weird drugged up crack whore, Meet joe black and Seven. i havnt seen all his stuff mind you but im not impressed by what i have seen from him.

But Fight Club was still an awesome movie.

Word. As was 12 Monkeys.

it was decent. it was pretty fun. brad pit was pretty good and angelina was smoking hot.. someone finally taught her how to hold and a gun and not look like she was afraid of it.

I agree, that movie was definately worth the money spent.

it was decent. it was pretty fun. brad pit was pretty good and angelina was smoking hot.. someone finally taught her how to hold and a gun and not look like she was afraid of it.

I agree, that movie was definately worth the money spent.

Quoted for truth. A fun movie with a lot of funny jokes. I think its a good date movie.