Revenge of the Sith

Interesting, a torrent of the workprint of Sith is out on the net. Not some taped off the screen junk, but Lucasfilm copy. I'm not touching it, sounds like instant lawsuit to me, but still, its out there, and being downloaded in HUGE numbers (I've never seen that many download before for a torrent).

He says "we" as if he's one of us. ;)

LOL! :lol:

MGREXX,

you sure you saw it?

are you sure?

like really sure?

:lol:

I was expecting something more along the lines of "OMFG! This movie spoiled the game for me! $*!" :lol:

isn't that, in itself, giving him too much credit? :lol:

Oh, The Duke's kick ass moment of the entire film: The Jedi Kid taking on a squad of Clone Troopers by himself infront of Bail Organa at the Jedi Temple, and kicking much ass. Maybe the only time during the entire film where everyone cheers. God, this was a depressing movie, wasn't it...

I think that was Lucas' kid.

Loved the movie. What made it great was that Anikan's fall was so believable. He's scared, yet there's this bit of arrogance there. He's got problems and no one seems to help (man, could Yoda have given worse advice?) except Palpatine, who just preys on his emotions. The bit where he recommends Anikan go deal with Grevious, knowing that the Jedi will baulk and send Obiwan instead, leaving Anikan without his one real friend, is just brilliant. The scene in the theater box was also excellent.

I need to see it again.

workprint

What exactly is a workprint? Is it pre-post-production? Or is it the finished film?

I wouldn't download it. Just curious.

H

Saw it a couple of hours ago. Some thoughts...

Clone Troopers

Okay they look fricken cool but I’m still confused why the Republic would use them. Some Jedi no one has heard about orders an army of clones. The Clones are based off of Jango Fett a Bounty Hunter who was connected to an assassination attempt on Padme. Jango was also with Count Doku. Who would accept these clones? Idiots! Maybe they really had no choice. They needed a army to fight the droids. Still any smart Jedi would be careful not to turn their backs on one. Hmm only Yoda avoided an up close assassination. Other Masters were killed up close died like suckers. These are friggen Jedi! The prequels (thanks to CGI) show that Jedi are capable of doing all sorts of Super Sh*t. Yet once the Clones attack the Jedi are weak? “Execute order 66”, with those magic words the Clones turn on the Jedi. What were the chances that someone could of told a clone those same words on accident? Why not use something like, “The Jedi are a bunch of Homos?” or “I want to get nasty with a Wookie?” The Clones are a military. Words like execute, order and numbers would come up around the clones. Maybe even in the right combination.

The Emperor

Is the Emperor stupid? He sure put his life in danger in his staged capture and rescue. There were a few times where he could have been killed. Strange that he seemed evil every moment of the film. Anakin must have been a idiot not to see it.

Anakin/Vader

“You were right about me.”

Was Luke really right? Was there still good in his father? When we are introduced to Anakin in Episode I we have a talented little boy. We see that he cares for his mother but at the same time we can see that he really needs a father figure. Children in general are “good”. In Episode II Anakin is all grown up and he’s a whiney, immature little bitch with the powers of the Jedi. He cared for his mother so much that he murders an entire Tusken village. In Episode III Anakin is torn between his heart, which tells him to do bad and what the Jedi told him. Anakin/Vader is just an emotional, immature man. He’s so immature that he’ll do evil deeds. Luke’s entire picture of his father is from Obi-wan. He’s the one that made Luke think his father wasn’t a whiney little bitch. The only thing Anakin cares about is his love ones. Does that make him good? Even evil people can have people that they care about. Maybe Luke's faith in his father led Anakin to believe that he wasn’t all evil (even though he was). Ws Anakin destroying the Emperor an act of goodness? He was seeing the Emperor attacking his son so he killed him. Remember Anakin cares for his love ones. He lost his mother and wife. He wasn’t going to lose a son. Anakin cares but he was evil in his heart.

Yoda vs The Emperor

Obi-wan, Yoda and The Emperor are all on the same planet. Vader is elsewhere. Yoda sends Obi-wan off to kill Anakin while he’ll get The Emperor. Why didn’t they both go together to kill the Emperor they would have succeeded. What idiots!

The Security Tapes

Instead of running of to fight the Sith Lords why didn’t Obi-wan and Yoda take the security tapes and broadcast it all over? Idiots!

Jedi or Sith

The film hinted that the Sith were once in control but oppressive. The Sith care only about their needs while a Jedi cares about others. Is selfishness alone make one evil? It’s what deeds you’re wiling to do for yourself and others that makes one evil. That makes the Emperor and Vader bad. Still the Jedi aren’t that good either. Hmm I wonder why didn’t Vader just go and kill the Emperor at the end of the film. After killing him he could kill himself. He could of made things right. Anakin's only reason for joining the Emperor was to save Padme. Once she died what was the reason?

Padme

Man this character got stupid. So strong willed in the other movies. She's reduced to Anakin stupid wife. Plus she loses the will to live. Man how lame. Her heart was broken that she had nothing to live for! Wait a minute what about her children? She was just selfish just like Anakin.

Every character got what they deserved. The idiots!

On a bright side. Obi-wan rocked.

Ok, have to respond here...

Clone Troopers

The Jedi are not immortal. They are not all powerful. Turning your back on an ally who is really your enemy is an easy way to get killed. Plus, the Clone Troopers are not Storm Troopers, they are far more advanced, and far more skilled.

The Emperor

He knew his life wasn't in danger. He's a Sith Lord. Plus, um, its quite clear Anakin knew he was evil, its not like Palpatine was leading him on the whole time. He was pretty upfront about it.

Anakin/Vader

I wouldn't say he has evil in his heart. The Jedi control the Force, while the Sith are controlled by it. One he started down the dark path, it took control of him, and it twisted him beyond a point of no return. He did turn Palpatine in to the Council, he was trying to do the right thing.

Yoda vs The Emperor

Yoda most likely thought he could handle it himself (which he probably could have), and Anakin was far too powerful and dangerous to let him be.

The Security Tapes

There is nothing damning in the record. He actually tells Anakin to go restore peace to the galaxy in it. He also declares the Jedi traitors infront of the Senate, and claims they tried to overthrow the Republic.

Jedi or Sith

The Sith care about power, pure and simple. That is, unless you bought into the Emperor's twisted lies, which is sounds you migth have. Have you turned with Anakin? And as I said before, once Anakin went to the Dark Side, it was too late. It had control of him, and he was powerless against it.

Padme

Portman mailed in her performance, and nearly ruined two scenes.

BTW, Tarkin wasn't CGI.

Padme

Portman mailed in her performance, and nearly ruined two scenes.

That could be said for pretty much every actor in the movie.

Ultimately, I think it was a decent movie that was held back by a lackluster script and just general poor directing. The action scenes were relatively uninteresting, too much was rushed and in general would have benefitted from a more polished and better paced script.

It was stated in one of the earlier films that the Jedi had lost their precognitive ability, so getting blind sided by the clones makes sense. As for making sure that the order wasn't given accidently, I imagine that it could only come from Palpatine (he gave it personally).

It's very obvious that Palpatine was in complete control of the situation on board the ship at the beginning. The "what the f*ck are you doing to me?" look that Dooku gives him when Palpatine is telling Anikan to kill him says it all. And by the time Palpatine shows his true nature to Anikan, Anikan is already too far in to get out (even though he does make an attempt to do the right thing, sort of a last gasp effort).

I agree with Togo; once Anikan gives in, the dark side takes over and it just snowballs big time (which is what Yoda says would happen all along). And "the end justifies the means" is a very persuasive arguement that people in the real world fall for all the time. Again, I found the fall of Anikan to be very well done, and really this is what the film hinged on.

Clone Troopers

The Jedi are not immortal. They are not all powerful. Turning your back on an ally who is really your enemy is an easy way to get killed.

Yes but considering the origins of the Clone Troopers only an idiot would turn their back on one.

The Emperor

He knew his life wasn't in danger. He's a Sith Lord.

Yes at any moment he could use his Sith powers to save him during the rescue but there also many situations in which he had no control over (like the ship's crash landing or just a random explosin).

Anakin/Vader

I wouldn't say he has evil in his heart. The Jedi control the Force, while the Sith are controlled by it. One he started down the dark path, it took control of him, and it twisted him beyond a point of no return. He did turn Palpatine in to the Council, he was trying to do the right thing.

In his mind he knew what the right thing was. Killing an unarmed prisoner (Doku) was bad, turning in Palpatine (good) even stopping Windu from killing Palps was good. Anakin want him to face trial not to be killed in cold blood like he did to Doku. Yet with his emotions he only thinking about himself, "I don't want to lose you so I'll join the side of evil."

Jedi or Sith

The Sith care about power, pure and simple. That is, unless you bought into the Emperor's twisted lies, which is sounds you migth have. Have you turned with Anakin? And as I said before, once Anakin went to the Dark Side, it was too late. It had control of him, and he was powerless against it.

Hey I already was turned!

Yes but considering the origins of the Clone Troopers only an idiot would turn their back on one.

But the Jedi had been fighting at their side for a few years now. They had a comradery going, and I think even friendships. That's what makes the betrayal so shocking. You litterally have a clone trooper handing Obiwan his light saber (a clone Obiwan was on a first name basis with), then a few seconds later, trying to kill him.

But the Jedi had been fighting at their side for a few years now. They had a comradery going, and I think even friendships. That's what makes the betrayal so shocking. You litterally have a clone trooper handing Obiwan his light saber (a clone Obiwan was on a first name basis with), then a few seconds later, trying to kill him.

Commander Cody was indeed a friend of Kenobi's, which I believe earlier scripts may have played up much more than than the final film (from what I heard several months ago).

Now that I think about it, we were never given any story as to why Obi Wan ended up being called "Ben". Nice Episode IV connections with him, with Bail Organa sending Leia to him, knowing what we know now. There's alot in the OT that really has more meaning than it did before.

And I always knew R2 knew what was going on! I was VERY happy to see his memory was not wiped, it fit into what I always believed after Episode I. And without knowing it at the time, Alec Guiness comes off now as if he knew everything all along. Really sly.

To add:

CGI background human characters without helmets (clones, Tarkin) just looked creepy!

Tarkin wasn't CGI, but Commander Cody without helmet was a combination of real and CGI which just looked freakish.

You could tell that made a partial suit for him, chest plate at least, why not the whole hog...

Thought ROTS was good, but not great. Being more of a hardware fan than a fan of Jedi lightsaber fights, I was a bit disappointed by the lack of screen time of most of the new hardware.

I was most disappointed at the lack of dog fights. I was really looking forward to seeing more space fighter vs space fighter action.

We hardly get to see the ARC-170 & Droid Tri-fighters except for a very small appearance at the beginning and the V-Wing only has a small non-combat role right at the end of the movie :( . Instead we mostly just get to see Jedi Starfighters dodging missiles.

And what's with the ARC-170. From the ROTS Incredible Cross Sections book, it was written up as a really tough ship able to take on overwhelming odds and survive, but in the movie they are just useless droid fodder.

I would really have liked to see the Juggernaughts getting more screen time as well.

Graham

Well guys, on a whim, I saw Ep.3 this afternoon.

I really like it, and I'll wait and see how it stands over time compared to the Original Trilogy, especially against Empire Strikes Back.

Like I said, I really like Ep.3 but there are 4 things I felt could have been done better or fleshed out more. Firstly, I read the book way before the movie released, so keep that in mind.

* The movie did a decent job on showing why Anakin turned to the Dark Side: He wanted to save Padme. In the book, there was no question his concern for Padme was what drove Anakin. The book however, did a magnificent job on showing how Palpatine's manipulations combined with the Jedi Council's backstabbing orders, tore Anakin apart. Palpatine twisted words and manipulated Anakin like the Dark Lord he was but Anakin didn't want to act as his spy. But the Jedi Council wanted to use Anakin's friendship to the Chancellor as a means of spying on Palpatine. This tore Anakin apart really well in the book.

In the book and in the movie, there's a scene where Anakin is told by Obi-Wan that the Council secretly wanted him to spy on Palpatine for them. This drove Anakin crazy since friendship, trust, and loyalty were dear to him. He didn't want to spy on Palpatine since he was considered a dear friend. At the same time, he would never want to spy on the Council for Palpatine.

In the book, Obi-Wan still asks Anakin to report on the Chancellor, but he said in return something along the lines of, "If the Chancellor asked me to spy on you, do you think I would?"

In addition, the movie didn't have the book's moments the insulting nature of the Jedi Council to Anakin when he was finally admitted into it. The movie did show that he would not be given the title of Master, which was hugely insulting. The book had several instances where his opinions were quickly, and insultingly, disregarded, even though he sat on the Council. In short, the Jedi, except for Obi-Wan, only really saw Anakin as a tool, and nothing more.

Also in the book, while Yoda, Mace Windu, and Obi-Wan were aboard the Rep.Gunship preparing to drop Yoda off for the Kashyyyk operation, Obi-Wan thoroughly explained why he felt the Council made a grave mistake in asking Anakin to betray a friendship for the political gains of the Council. Obi-Wan, after his meeting with Anakin felt guilty about asking his friend to betray another friend. The Jedi, Mace Windu, and even Yoda, have no inkling on what friendship, trust, and loyalty meant anymore, so they also had no freaking clue that they were tearing Anakin apart to play both sides.

In the end of Ep.3, IMO, the Jedi got what they justly deserved. Annihalation.

* The book also showed over its course that the main reason Anakin was staying on the right path was his constant attachment and closeness to Obi-Wan. Anakin didn't take comfort in other people too much it seemed other than Padme. But Obi-Wan was really the only other person that he could talk to. He couldn't even get help from Yoda, who wanted him to cut off all attachments, just like every Jedi.

* The last thing was part of the ending. In the book, I believe just before the twins are born, Yoda is meditating on his failure to save the Republic. The Force Spirit of Qui-Gon appears and tells him about how to be one with the Force but still have influence in the world. Yoda later acknowledges Qui-Gon as his master, and informs Obi-Wan on these teachings. The movie cut the Yoda / Qui-Gon scene completely away, I believe. A shame, I really would have loved to seen Qui-Gon again.

* They didn't show enough of Anakin slaughtering the Jedi and the Seperatist leaders, who were pleading for their lives as they were being cut down one by one.

Lastly, Master Windu at least went out with his lightsaber swinging. He died quite horribly though :unsure:

Edited by Warmaker

I walked away satisfied from that movie. I actually have no real complaints. There were a few things I would have liked to have seen/handled a little different, but overall it was very well done. Lucas actually did this one justice amazingly. I'll probably see it again later this weekend.

Every duel was awesome. Greivous rocked. I like how clone wars explained the cough. The damage he suffered from Windu there probably slowed him down some in RotS, but even still that was a great fight too. He got a fair amount of screen time I guess. He did at least rotor the blades like in Clone Wars so I was happy there.

I want to see the OT again now too. I think Lucas bridged it all pretty good.

I guess we'll forever be limited to Crimson Empire to see what a Royal Guardsman can actually do though. Everybody laughted at that part where Yoda brushed them off.

Damn good movie.

I was surprised to see Yoda getting beat up quite a bit :huh:

Yoda had to back out of the fight with Palpatine. Palpatine was handing him his a**, smiling while doing it.

I also liked how Palpatine played the "helpless, defenseless prisoner" when Windu thought he had him defeated. It was just a ploy to pull on Anakin's feelings to draw him to the Dark Side.

Ian McDirmid looked like he had some fun with the Chancellor.

One think I really liked was Sidious' lightsaber fighting style. To me it looked like the intended effect was to make him look like he was filmed in reverse. His facial actions and lightsabre swings look really unnatural and creepy.

And didn't the other jedi with Mace go down like total b*tches!

edit: I'm sure this is obvious to everyone but I am slow. I just realised how balance had been perfectly brought to the the force, with 2 on each side. On the dark side is Sidious and Vader, and on the light side is Yoda and Obi wan.

Edited by Guppy

edit: I'm sure this is obvious to everyone but I am slow. I just realised how balance had been perfectly brought to the the force, with 2 on each side. On the dark side is Sidious and Vader, and on the light side is Yoda and Obi wan.

Actually, that's not the balance. Balance isn't brought to the Force until Vader throws the Emperor down the shaft, and then dies. When this happens, there are no Sith left, and the old Jedi Order is no more. There is balance because both extremes have been wiped out. Luke is a new begining, but without the trappings of the past. In many ways, he is the heir to the teachings of Qui Gon, a disciple of the "living Force".

Actually, that's not the balance. Balance isn't brought to the Force until Vader throws the Emperor down the shaft, and then dies. When this happens, there are no Sith left, and the old Jedi Order is no more. There is balance because both extremes have been wiped out. Luke is a new begining, but without the trappings of the past. In many ways, he is the heir to the teachings of Qui Gon, a disciple of the "living Force".

Nice, I like that take on it. A clean slate to work with.

The thing about the Jedi Council and Anakin I found very interesting and not really insulting to be honest. Granted I've only read the novel and not seen the film but in the novel part of the reason they didn't allow Anakin to have a voice in the council or any say was that they didn't want him on the council. His outburst in the council was a prime example of why as well. Allowing Anakin to voice his opinion in the council would basicly be the same as giving Palp a vote and this was stated. In the novel they also take noticed of how Anakin is actually speaking as well. He uses the world "we" a few times and that's referign to Palp's office in that he's apart of it. He's already clearly identifying himself with Palp's office, as apart of it, not just there to report back to Palp himself which is what he was there for. The Jedi were basicly forced to put Anakin on the council as well.

A thing I found interesting about the novel is that at times it seems Anakin knows why the Jedi Council doesn't trust him, and why they even fear him. He basicly buys into Palps talk cause that is what he wants to hear even though he knows it's wrong. He wants to be free to do whatever he wants and when he's finally given that freedom he goes off and we see what happens. The Jedi might have been arrgoant to a degree but didn't need to be destoryed the way they were.

Not sure how well the movie gets these things across though. I thought the novel was great by getting into the heads of the characters and showing their emotion and Anakin's fall. What I really like at one point it was made clear, via Yoda, that a Sith can not make a Jedi fall. That Anakin choose this path himself. Palp might have pushed him but in the end it was clearly Anakin's choice in the end and his own selfishness that caused him to fall.

It did seem he put himself in certain situations to cause himself grief. He could have told Palp no but his idea of loyality made him not do that. Had he just talked about his problems and feelings eariler I doubt things would have gotten so bad for him. Doubt he would have been kicked out but would have been helped with his control. Obiwan made a good point in the novel that having power alone wasn't enough to be a master. One had to master themselves. This was something Anakin clearly couldn't do nor was able to do and I'm sure the Jedi Council knew this and his outbrust at them clearly showed that and even Obiwan understood that all to well since Anakin always disobey orders, etc. Anakin himself knew this as well. I did like it that he didn't want to be a master for the sake of being a master but because he wanted access to the restricted files but even then had he simply trusted Obiwan enough and talked to him I doubt he would have put himself through so much problems. He inability to talk and open up when it matter all the while being extremely emotional was interesting.

I wonder if he just assumed a lot of things though without actually trying them. It appeard that he assumed Obiwan wouldn't understand or that they would kick him out of the order. All of that was in his head but why? Was it all Palps talk or did he want to think that on his own?

Honestly the more I think about it and look at his character, I wonder if even without Palp talking into his ear all those years, would he have fallen anyway? I'm kinda of the opinion yeah he would have but it would have taken a lot longer before he finally went out of control.

Can't wait to see the film and see how that version is. I do recommend that people check out the novel version as well though. :)

Edited by Effect

Well i finally got to see Episide III, was at the premiere here in Denmark, so the movie was on at 12 am and i also saw the second showing at 3am. Damm i am tired as hell after that maraton.

Anyways to the movie, as most of you guys, i totally like the movie. I do have a few small things i wish the movie had. 1.5 hours more would have been good, since so much happens in this episide its feels kinda rushed in some sense, since there isnt enuff time between the things happining. More time would give better depth for the charecters, specially Anikin.

As a martial artist, i wish the last battle between Obi Wan and Anikin should have been abit more "realistic" In my opinion too much of it just just swordplay-like. Unlike the fight with Darth Maul and Obi Wan in Episode I (right after Qui Gon is hit) That scene was more realistic and more beliveable. You know, you can make sense of the moves, their attack and defensive movement made sense. Unlike in Episode III is too much wasted and flashy moves and not near as realistic and badass as in Episode I

I donno, maybe its just me being to overly critical, since i train a martial arts system (Escrima/Arnis) i just pick up on these things. I had a talk with my buddy who saw itr with me, the whole fight with Obi Wan and Ani, was too....actor.trying to fight with swords-like. Whereas the guy who played Darth Maul actually was amartial artist with many years experience in weapons, so its gave that extra spice of realism and style which i think is badass-

Is it just me who thinks this way? Or am i being overly critical?

Anyways, besides these minor thingy...i do like it alot, i know its my favoring Episode of the whole bunch.

- Jin

And I always knew R2 knew what was going on! I was VERY happy to see his memory was not wiped, it fit into what I always believed after Episode I. And without knowing it at the time, Alec Guiness comes off now as if he knew everything all along. Really sly.

That is good to hear, while whiping 3P0 makes perfect sense, as he'd just get everyone killed is a fit of mass stupidity, R2 was always on the ball.

I donno, maybe its just me being to overly critical, since i train a martial arts system (Escrima/Arnis)

Hey, I also train in Arnis :D . I've also recently been studying the 15th century “Liechtenauer tradition” of German 2-handed longsword fighting.

I also didn't think the final fight was as good (or realistic) as I'd been led to believe from a swordsmanship standpoint. It's been billed for months as the longest sword fight in the history of cinema with the actors having to learn hundreds or thousands of moves, but in actuality I found it very repetative. I thought all the other fights in the movie were actually much better than the final fight.

Basically it seemed for most of the fight that both Anakin and Obi Wan were just doing diagonal strike, parry, diagonal strike, parry, reapeat ad nauseam, very little variety in attacks.

Graham

That is good to hear, while whiping 3P0 makes perfect sense, as he'd just get everyone killed is a fit of mass stupidity, R2 was always on the ball.

R2 definitely had his moments in the beginning of the movie.

BTW, hate to keep saying stuff from the novel, but... while Obi-Wan, Anakin, and the Chancellor are trying to escape from the Grievous' flagship, they were in such a rush that they were going to leave R2 in the hangar. But Anakin absolutely refused, showing the same loyalty to his droid that he would to any friend. Obi-Wan couldn't really understand Anakin's attachment to the droid.

R2 is the only character in all the movies to see pretty much every critical event. C3PO does also to an extent, but he gets his memory wiped.

Basically it seemed for most of the fight that both Anakin and Obi Wan were just doing diagonal strike, parry, diagonal strike, parry, reapeat ad nauseam, very little variety in attacks.

Kind of a disapointment that so little work is put into the light saber battles. Especially in ROTS, they were so poorly shot and boring I just kinda sat waiting for them to be over. Also noticeable was the common movie problem where rather than trying to hit the person, they try to hit the sword.

In high school I used to do kendo, and it's kind of obvious to notice the problems with the character's stances and their attacks. One of the more noticeable times was after Yoda got knocked down, he lunged for Sidious' upper torso/sword, he really should have gone for the legs. Not to mention Windu holding his sword too low, Obi Wan holding his left arm out instead of his sword ( :blink: ) and so forth.

Finally saw the movie and I liked it a lot. Of course, aside from the romance scenes, I really liked Clones too. Regardless, Ian McDiarmid is the best part of the prequels, in my humble opinion, and especially after seeing him in Sith I'd like to see him getting bigger roles in other movies.

Palpatine's transformation...  ok no,  just no,  why oh WHY did Anakin's red flag not go up after the dude didn't change back?  And what exactly changed him?  the lightning?  he must have done that before...  I guess we'll never know.

He most likely did do the lightning thing before, but not on a subject as close as Mace was. In the scene, you could see that Sidious was getting hit in the face by lightning that was bouncing off Mace's body. Either that, or he was always an ugly bastard and was just able to hide that fact. I personally believe that he was damaged by the lightning though. As we saw in RotJ, Sidious was not immune to his own attacks.

For my own gripe, I just don't buy the deal that Padme simply lost the will to live. My wife thinks that Sidious may have played a subtle role in her death just to make sure Anakin freaked out in the desired way. Not to far fetched considering how powerfull that dude was.

Beyond that little gripe, I loved the movie.

Hey guys could be wrong but it looked to me as though the lightning was being reflectd back to him by Mace and it was the "receiving" not the "do-ing" that was damaging him. I think the battle scared makeup was over the top but it was probably exactly as it was done for ROTJ, only in that movie it wasn't so obvious. :blink:

Effect thanks for that, you guys that read the all the the books are experts - I'm just a "watcher" ;) I understand that there were a few discrepansies w. the books/vs. movies?...... or so I was told by a "reader" :huh::unsure: ....Anybody care to elaborate?

Edited by cambodian tire