Revenge of the Sith

holy crap.

some things jump into my mind as I sit here floored from such a kickass movie.

Palpatine's transformation... ok no, just no, why oh WHY did Anakin's red flag not go up after the dude didn't change back? And what exactly changed him? the lightning? he must have done that before... I guess we'll never know.

IF there were deleted scenes with Qui Gon, I need to view them, the end of the movie could have been more fleshed out and not seem so rushed to me.

Leia said her mother had a kind, sad face... (yeah I guess it could be Bail Organa's wife, but ffs...)

Wookies ROCK

Grievous coughing was just annoying, yeah yeah yeah, I'm sure his biological parts were the ones coughing, but it was still messed up.

Anakin killing all the kids, ok I get the council, had he gone after them, but they really should have made the clone troopers kill the gd kids, it was TOO uncharacteristic.

Padme freaking out at the very end, I mean come on, you didn't know? Where the hell were you? Padme is the new Lois Lane, imho.

NO jar-jar, ++

All I can think of now, more to come :)

I was hoping for an explanation of the whole Yoda/Obi Wan disappearing trick when they died (it was probably one of the deleted scenes, grumble grumble).

My take on the emperor's face was that what you were seeing was only make-up and the lightning removed it and showed his true face, but this is just a fan boy's explanation.

Anaking killing those kids was in character. It showed how far he was already gone.

Anakin's scarring wasn't as dramatic as what I was expecting. I always thought that he had fallen in some lava, not helplessly burned at the side of a lava river. Oh well.

The Obi-Wan/Anakin lightsaber fight scene really was awesome. Fast paced, brutal, desperate.

On an artistic note, at the very end of the movie, Owen & Beru Lars holding Luke while the suns were rising was an interesting way to show the audience that there was indeed light at the end of the tunnel (we all knew it, but still a nice touch).

Palpatine's transformation... ok no, just no, why oh WHY did Anakin's red flag not go up after the dude didn't change back? And what exactly changed him? the lightning? he must have done that before... I guess we'll never know.

He most likely did do the lightning thing before, but not on a subject as close as Mace was. In the scene, you could see that Sidious was getting hit in the face by lightning that was bouncing off Mace's body. Either that, or he was always an ugly bastard and was just able to hide that fact. I personally believe that he was damaged by the lightning though. As we saw in RotJ, Sidious was not immune to his own attacks.

For my own gripe, I just don't buy the deal that Padme simply lost the will to live. My wife thinks that Sidious may have played a subtle role in her death just to make sure Anakin freaked out in the desired way. Not to far fetched considering how powerfull that dude was.

Beyond that little gripe, I loved the movie.

It was good, but not the best.

My Observations:

1)I was disapointed in the opening space battle I was hoping for something mor like ROTJ, the battle only follows Anakin and Obi through space, I was hoping for the cutaway between the interior fight (and travel) and the outside battle between the starships and the fighters. I wanted to see V-Wings attacking Seperatist fighters and ARCs leading torpedo runs on enemy frigates and cruisers, that sort of thing.

2) I thought a bunch of the scenes between Anakin and Padme' were redundant

3) The Battle of Kashyyk was too short, it seemed that it either should have been cut to just the scene with Yoda or been longer and slightly more developed, seemed it was just put in there

4) I would have liked to have scene a bit more clone action on Utapau

5) The killing of the jedi could have been a bit longer

6) I wanted to see more of the Venerator!

7) When Darth Vader was created was great right up to the point where he rips of the cuffs holding him down, I would have had him use the force to take off the cuffs and then instead of the scream and beating his chest had him simply look at the ground with his shoulders slumped as if he was defeated and had succumbed completley to the dark side, then on the Star Destroyer give him a powerful stance as he oversees the Deathstars Construction.

8)I thought Samuel L. Jackson's acting was terrible when he died

Were those Imperial Officers clones?

I'll admit 4,5,and 6 are all just things I would have liked to seen but I think the others have real merit, maybe some more footage in the special additions or DVD release.

Edited by Coota0

I loved this movie, even though it left me feeling kinda down. I found parts of it to be very disturbing, much more so than I expected. I had four problems with the film:

1. Natalie Portman mailed in her third Star Wars performance in a row. Her "look I'm choking" scene was horrible, as was the birth scene.

2. Not enough Kashyyyk.

3. Yoda's line something like, "into exile I must go". Gee, thanks George. Thanks for explaining that to us. The line seemed very out of place.

4. Where was Liam Neeson? How can you bring up Qui Gon Jinn at the end, and not have him appear? That would have been a great scene. After everything that has happened, it would have been like a ray of hope, a bright moment after some very dark times.

What did I love? Oh, just about everything else. Hayden Christensen did a great job, as did Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid. The C-3PO jokes were gone, but we had just the right amount of R2 to make it seem right. Man, was this movie disturbing, though. The Anakin lava scene really moved me, it was almost rough to watch. Overall, I was very happy. I'll say this, though, this movie should have been the entire Prequel Trilogy. It easily could have been expanded and more fleshed out into three films.

BTW, I dont' want to hear anybody ripping the "Frankenstein" scene. it was pure homage, and I loved it.

And I do believe its very possible that Bail's wife may be the mother Leia is remembing. There is no mention of her in the OT, only her father. She probably died when Leia was young.

And I do believe its very possible that Bail's wife may be the mother Leia is remembing. There is no mention of her in the OT, only her father. She probably died when Leia was young.

Luke asks Leai if she remembers her real mother in ROTJ, I believe they were referring to Padme'

Luke asks Leai if she remembers her real mother in ROTJ, I believe they were referring to Padme'

Does he say "real mother"? I don't remember that. As far as I know, Leia would have no reason to believe Organa wasn't her real mother.

Yes Luke says "real mother" to Leia in RotJ and Leia knows she's adopted. The Novelization has more elaboration (of course), and DOES indicate that these memories of Leia are from her infancy. Why would she have them and Luke wouldn't? Because he was pulled out pf Natalie Portman's glory how many minutes sooner? ;)

Does he say "real mother"? I don't remember that. As far as I know, Leia would have no reason to believe Organa wasn't her real mother.

Hey Duke, I don't have RotJ in front of me (packed away atm, while I move), but I believe the line went something to the effect of:

"Leia, do you remember your mother? your REAL mother?"

Overall, I was satisfied. It was dark, with limited kiddy content. I also thought it was funny how they "filled" plot holes:

-Sidious's origins, and how his master was able to manipulate midiclorians and create life (does this imply that his master created Anakin?)

-Qui Gon learning how to become immortal (explaining why Obi and Yodi do the disappearing act). But where the hell is Qui Gon's ghost at the end of ep6? And why can Anakin do it?

On a side note, I liked how the movie picks up right where the clone wars cartoon ends. Great attention to detail, Grevious is even still messed up from Mace Windu hurting him at the end of the last ep.

Ah yeah,

More of the space battle would have been nice, but I thought the clone action on the other worlds was excellent (especially seeing some go down... don't see nearly enough go down in AOTC IMO) and the same for the Kashyyk battle.

They included more of Order 66 than I was expecting (was really surprised to see Plo Koon in his fighter) and tragic.

I definitely disagree with Coota0. Furious Vader is far more effective than Defeated Vader and fits the character more. Also, I thought Mace's death was awesome and horrible. Much faster than it seemed in the novelization. Some screaming and then ZAP! see ya!

Mutilated Anakin on the lava was incredible.

I was dead tired last night but the movie kept my attention throughout, didn't drift off and fall asleep like I expected to.

The movie was not perfect but it was so much better than Ep 1 and 2. I prefer it over RotJ, plot holes, bad lines and all. The beginning was worth the price of admission alone.

My sister complained some scenes felt dragging, but I thought the movie felt hurried. Anakin needed to spend more time in confusion before he crosses over to the Dark Side. All it took was an "accident" for him to make up his mind, seemed a bit too convenient/soon.

He says "we" as if he's one of us. ;)

I thought it rocked. Some parts felt like they dragged, but it was a lot less than any other SW movie has dragged for me. I LOVED Hayden's Anakin in this one and it really ties things together. I think that I liked defeated Vader more than a simply furious Vader. The whole point is that the Dark Side leads to sadness and ultimately they aren't happy. I do wish that there was more showcasing of Anakin's power as he got up from the table. The part where he closes the doors on the seperatist leaders.... AWESOME.

I was kinda hoping that Anakin would have constructed a new lightsaber(ie- the Vader one) before the end, but oh well.

The film was a fine addition to the Star Wars saga and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Of all three prequels, I can safely say the best is Episode III Revenge of the Sith. Going even further, I firmly believe RoTS is better than Episode VI Return of the Jedi, but weaker than A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Episode III will definitely enjoy more viewing on DVD J

Praise

Battle of Coruscant – This is easily my favorite capital ship space battle of all the six Star Wars films. Modern special effects have finally allowed a clear and more precise picture of what capital ship warfare looks like in Star Wars. Never before have capital ship brawls looked this good, easily eclipsing the battles in Babylon 5 (IMO, the previous title holder). The journey of the two Jedi Interceptors was a brilliant way to follow the battle. In particular, the opening scene introduces the battle in both an immediate and extremely dramatic way as the two Jedi Interceptors literally dive in. Visually, the entire sequence was a milestone. Even the fighter dogfights were amazing (though the Battle of Yavin and Jango vs. Ben still hold the trophys for best Star Wars dogfight IMO). All it lacked was the compelling, narrative climax of the fleet engagement in Return of the Jedi. However, the Battle of Coruscant was not the same kind of battle and never pretended to be. It did things on it’s own terms and did it better IMO.

Duels – Good gawd this film has a lot of action! Ben&Anakin vs. Dooku, Ben&Anakin vs. Grevious, Ben vs. Grevious, Mace vs. Sidious, Yoda vs. Sidious, and Ben vs. Anakin. Not to mention Anakin, Ben, and Yoda all featured in numerous scenes carving up droids or clones. Not only were the saber duels numerous, but almost every fight was unique. Ben&Anakin vs. Dooku was again a chess match with some damn fine upward stance fighting, Mace vs. Sidious was a down-and-dirty brawl, the two slugging it out with little near zero force powers to cloud the fight. Watching Ben systematically smackdown Grevious’s blade-spinning meat grinder was thoroughly enjoyable. Yoda really showed off some power as did Sidious in the Senate duel. Lastly, Ben and Anakin fighting was so amazing and easily the most emotional duel of the film. I loved every duel and the pacing of each one was almost perfect. Rarely did they feel overly long and even more amazing was the freshness of each duel, especially in light of the number of duels.

Genuinely Emotive – This is probably one of the best Star Wars films for evoking some true emotion from the audience. The previous two prequels did little to convey any convincing drama or have the audience actually feel for many of the characters. Episode III certainly gave an effort to create some tense drama and truly tragic developments. Yoda gave perhaps the most emotional performance of the film, with both Ian Mcdiarmid and Ewan McGregor also adding well needed doses of stronger acting. Anakin himself was also a source of good drama. Christensen’s performance wasn’t outstanding, but the story itself allowed the audience to feel a true sense of pity for the character, a reaction equally surprising given that the character is generally unlikable.

Locales and Technology – Given the grand scale of all the Star Wars films, it’s rather unusual that the RoTS film feels like one of the most epic in scope. The many different planets and sets really grant a great sense of the grand universe of Star Wars. Mustafar, Kashyyyk, Utapau, and the Coruscant locales were all thoughtfully created and visualized to perfection. Each world was a believable and fully realized place, done with the proper style and theme needed for each scene. Episode III also featured a fanboys delight of amazing technology. From the big space ships, to the ground vehicles and new weapons, there was plenty to enjoy. The energy staves of Grevious’s entourage, the wheel bike, and Grevious himself were some of the best new displays of Star Wars technology yet seen in the series. The clones continued to play a great role and the film featured a broad diversity of different clone troops in all kinds of specialized roles (including camoflauge armor, what a concept!). The world of Kashyyyk was a welcome sight given the prominence of Chewbacca in Star Wars.

Merging with the Original Trilogy – More than the other prequels, this third film successfully merges the prequels and the original trilogy together in numerous inventive ways. The design lineage of the Venator Star Destroyers (including the removal of the red Republic colors in the final shots), the Correlian Corvette making appearances (including the delightful white corridors making a shot), the role of Bail Organna, the closure of Ben and Yoda’s characters, the death of Padme when both the twins were born, and naturally Anakin’s dismemberment and return as Darth Vader. By the time you get to the end, you’re ready to watch episodes IV to VI.

Criticisms

Extraneous Scene – The entire battle of Kashyyyk (great to hear this name pronounced at last) felt very extraneous. As a fanboy, I have no real complaints and I loved seeing the wookies in battle. As a fan of film, this entire sequence could have been cut, leaving in just the sequence that shows the murder attempt upon Yoda. The time could have been put to better use developing more characters, adding more to Anakin’s downfall, or any number of more important story arcs.

Dialogue – Once again, Star Wars stays true to all that it is, even the faults. At many points the dialogue was again weak and certainly could have used some re-drafting and editing. Especially in the first half of the film, there were several moments that made even the most ardent fan cringe. Luckily, the love story between Padme and Anakin, though weak once again, was infinitely more beleiveable and tolerable than in AoTC.

Minor Quibbles – I wanted to see Qui Gon’s apparition speaking to Obi-Wan Kenobi. It would have been a tidy way to give Ben’s character more closure for the prequels. I also would have liked some more history on Sidious and Yoda. These two characters feature so much in the entire story arc, yet we know so very little about where they came from, their history, or even what race Yoda is and how Palpatine learned the dark side powers. There are some other complaints, but I’m becoming a nitpicking fanboy at this point. I hate concentrating on the negative, especially when I genuinely loved the film, so I’m going to stop here.

I'd easily give Episode III Revenge of the Sith 9 out of 10. One of my top favorite Star Wars films.

He says "we" as if he's one of us. ;)

LOL! :lol:

MGREXX,

you sure you saw it?

are you sure?

like really sure?

:lol:

He is too busy being a Recon Marine Supersoldier (and a Ninja on the weekends) to see any movies.

I'll say it again, where the hell was Qui Gon Jinn? That would have been a BIG moment in the film, even at its end... all I can figure out is that they couldn't get Liam Neeson to do it. A must have moment that they dropped the ball on.

You know, they say "Kashyyyk" in Knights of the Old Republic, and they say it there as I always have, "Ka-shick". In RoTS, they pronounce it "Ka-shiek", which I don't like as much. I don't even know if Samuel L said it correctly.

I'll say it again, where the hell was Qui Gon Jinn? That would have been a BIG moment in the film, even at its end... all I can figure out is that they couldn't get Liam Neeson to do it. A must have moment that they dropped the ball on.

You know, they say "Kashyyyk" in Knights of the Old Republic, and they say it there as I always have, "Ka-shick". In RoTS, they pronounce it "Ka-shiek", which I don't like as much. I don't even know if Samuel L said it correctly.

I missed Qui-Gon too. He seemed to really be what a Jedi should be. Definitely one of my favorites.

All you Qui-Gon junkies need to read this from the Blog of Darth Vader:

This takes place (in RotJ) just as Luke is led away from Vader on Endor, to be flown to the Death Star. . .

I should never have been born. Without me, Palpatine would be lost. I was essential. But now I am nothing. My very life inside this mechanized mockery of a body relies on the raw power of the dark side that is focused through him. I could not be without his blessing. And his blessing fails, so I go to join Tyrannus.

I was not strong enough. I have failed everyone.

...And yet, there is my son with Shmi in his eyes -- a product of love, before the storm. He is no Jedi, for his passion blows too hot, but perhaps he is not Sith, either. He is an instrument of change. He is the catalyst at the centre, the fulcrum on which pivot fates. To see him is to be blinded by the glory of the Force that orbits him like living netting.

My meditation was interrupted by the scintillating spirit of Qui-gon Jinn appearing at my elbow. "Anakin," he called, his voice sounding far away. "Take heart: the prophecy is fulfilled on the morrow."

"But how?" I asked, shaking my head. "How can that be? What can I do?"

Qui-gon's eyes sparkled. "You will make the right decision, when the choice lies before you."

"Sidious must die, but I cannot slay him. And Luke cannot hope to have enough power to do so himself."

"There are different kinds of power," Qui-gon pointed out. "You are the Son of Suns. Nothing can change that, Ani. Just because you cannot see the path does not mean it is not beneath your feet."

And with that he faded away, leaving me alone.

The world crept back in. First crickets, then the buzzing lights of the corridor, the call of a raptor, the rustling leaves. The living Force undulated around me, my breath carried away to mix with the wind. I drank deep. One must never forget to taste the present, the fleeting, sweetest moment you can ever know no matter how many adventures you pursue. There is nothing like the now, to cleanse you.

Qui-gon was right. My mother was, too. The Force has shaped this life of mine, from birth to this holy now. Every turn in the path has been an instruction in a series of lessons designed to make me the monster I am, to breed my unwilling heart for whatever lies ahead tomorrow.

Qui-gon said I would have a choice. I cannot fathom it but I have faith.

They should have this guy re-write the novels anew, taking the prequels into account. :)

H

You are making progress.

Well, I left out the part where I would normally say: "to undo, as much as possible, the damage that the prequels have done to the classic characters."

You are making progress.

Well, I left out the part where I would normally say: "to undo, as much as possible, the damage that the prequels have done to the classic characters."

There we go.

I thought your account got hijacked for a second.

In the screenplay, Yoda mentions this about Jedi ghosts and Qui Gon: "The secret of the Ancient Order of the Whills, he studied." Don't see why this wasn't left in, either. It doesn't seem so much like an after though that way.

How to join the Force, he will train you. Your consciousness you will retain, when one with the Force. Even your physical self, perhaps.

Even your physical self, perhaps... sounds alot like what Sidious was telling Anakin about Darth Plagus, cheating death. People are asking now, how does Anakin learn this power? Your answer is in the screenplay.

In the screenplay, Yoda mentions this about Jedi ghosts and Qui Gon: "The secret of the Ancient Order of the Whills, he studied." Don't see why this wasn't left in, either. It doesn't seem so much like an after though that way.

How to join the Force, he will train you. Your consciousness you will retain, when one with the Force. Even your physical self, perhaps.

Even your physical self, perhaps... sounds alot like what Sidious was telling Anakin about Darth Plagus, cheating death. People are asking now, how does Anakin learn this power? Your answer is in the screenplay.

Awesome info. Thanks for posting that.

Oh, The Duke's kick ass moment of the entire film: The Jedi Kid taking on a squad of Clone Troopers by himself infront of Bail Organa at the Jedi Temple, and kicking much ass. Maybe the only time during the entire film where everyone cheers. God, this was a depressing movie, wasn't it...