262 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you going to get?

• xBOX360
    • Nintendo Revulotion
    • PS3
    • None
    • More than one
    • Can't think about games, Agent ONE is just so sexy, its distracting

I'm going to agree with you, JB0, that the PS3 won't be $500 when it hits the States... but I am afraid that it'll be higher than that $300 sweet spot.

I'm betting the cheaper competition will drive it down fast, regardless of what it starts at.

Much like the famous Saturn/PS1 wars, with Sony pulling the Saturn price down untill both settled at 200.

Or more recently, the PS2/XBox/GameCube, with Nintendo filling Sony's old role and pulling prices down.

PS3 lets you save games to a hard drive?

Oh, no! The PS3 has announced support for a hard drive, but Sony hasn't said if it will ship with one or not.

I didn't mean to imply that the PS3 definatively has a hard drive... my point to MGREXX was that having slots for a variety of flash cards doesn't make the PS3 superior to the Xbox 360 as long as the Xbox 360 does have the hard drive.

Okay. I'm back to celebrating the presence of standard media slots.

Particularly SD, as they're more standard than MemorySticks.

If it keeps me from paying 20$ for 8 MB of flash, I'm good.

Anyone check out Eletronic Gaming Monthly? I so an article in it today about how games for the next gen consoles might be sold for 70$ when they get released.

Yeah. The companies are talking about trying that out.

I think it'll bomb. Remember the N64?

Something else to consider, and I think it was mentioned in the same article, that developers have been using the higher-priced "collector's edition" version of games as an experiment to see if consumers are willing to pay more for games. And I'll say that, from a retailer's point of view, the $54.99 collector's edition games (like Halo 2) have sold pretty well, but the $60 games (like Mortal Kombat Deception) sold much better in the regular editions. If the publishers learned anything from that, they'll keep the games at no more than $54.99.

Collector's editions are neat. When they come with something worth having.

I love my Lunar soundtracks, Eternal Blue pendant, Lords of Lunar game, and yes, the sexy boxes, but why would I want a red aluminum box with a Gamestop logo wrapped around my standard RE4 package?

To be fair, neither PS Lunar game was ever offered in a "standard" edition anyways, though(if it was, it flew by too fast for me to notice).

Anyone check out Eletronic Gaming Monthly? I so an article in it today about how games for the next gen consoles might be sold for 70$ when they get released.

Yeah. The companies are talking about trying that out.

I think it'll bomb. Remember the N64?

Something else to consider, and I think it was mentioned in the same article, that developers have been using the higher-priced "collector's edition" version of games as an experiment to see if consumers are willing to pay more for games. And I'll say that, from a retailer's point of view, the $54.99 collector's edition games (like Halo 2) have sold pretty well, but the $60 games (like Mortal Kombat Deception) sold much better in the regular editions. If the publishers learned anything from that, they'll keep the games at no more than $54.99.

Collector's editions are neat. When they come with something worth having.

I love my Lunar soundtracks, Eternal Blue pendant, Lords of Lunar game, and yes, the sexy boxes, but why would I want a red aluminum box with a Gamestop logo wrapped around my standard RE4 package?

To be fair, neither PS Lunar game was ever offered in a "standard" edition anyways, though(if it was, it flew by too fast for me to notice).

I think the Lunar games were a totally different case. Like you said, there was no regular edition. All that extra bonus stuff was more like a reward for the loyal fans.

It's this new trend... pay extra for a DVD with "the making of the game" and a tin case. And instead of RPGs with small but loyal fanbases, suddenly it's like every game that comes out that has a collector's version.

Of those three companies, Sony is the only on who hasn't pissed me off. Nintendo let me down and microsoft seems to take sick demented pleasure in pissing me the f*ck off. I was just using my word processor when the damned thing "encountered and error" and made me lose 2 pages of my paper on Russia. It took a lot of self control to not put a hole in the wall.

Unlike my PC with XP, I've never felt a boiling rage that makes want to hurl my PS2 out my 3rd story window.

...Yes Druna Skass needs anger management...

Sounds like an unrelated problem to me. You should take better care of your computer. The only problem I've had with Windows XP since its come out is infinite loop errors and that's had a suspicious correlation with when I've had VIA chipset mobos(Only nForce from here on out baby!). So that's probably not even MS.

As for Sony; wait til you get a D.R.E. . . :lol:

Personally, I don't really care for any of the systems. Nintendo's is the most intriguing, but I have to see more, I think that they have more up their sleeves and it should become apparent soon.

I think the Lunar games were a totally different case. Like you said, there was no regular edition. All that extra bonus stuff was more like a reward for the loyal fans.

It's this new trend... pay extra for a DVD with "the making of the game" and a tin case. And instead of RPGs with small but loyal fanbases, suddenly it's like every game that comes out that has a collector's version.

Yes there was a regular edition of Lunar but it came out years after the edition that you have... I have it cause I didn't have a Playstation ever(until PS2) so I never got the old release of Lunar.

The Japanese have been doing SEs for years. like my Sakura Taisen V Episode Zero SE wich came with a figure a beach towel, a mug, a poster and a DVD. SEs are fun ^^.

How can you say that the Xbox360 is more powerful when the PS3 is in fact the more powerful system.  Here are the specs of all 3 systems, although Nintendo seems to be hiding their specs for an obvious reason  :lol:  but I included them anyway: :D

As you can see, the SONY PS3 is the overall more powerful system.

Agent ONE is more powerful than all 3 systems combined!!!

Don't be fooeld by Xbox360's 3 3.2GHZ processors.  This is misleading, just like what ATARI tried to do with their  jaguar multi processor Bull$hit specs.  More processors don't necessarily make the machine faster or better.

The PS3 has a more powerful Graphics card with impressive specs while the Xbox360 just says custom.  hmmmmm....

The graphics core clock speed is 550MHZ vs Xbox360's 500MHZ.

Agent One's clock frequency cannot be measured in MHz, but in CHz (CROMHURTZ) any number of MHz cannot equal 1 CHz, ever. This is because CHz are a measure of the frequency of awesome (approximately 42CHz).

100 billion shaders vs Xbox360's mere 48 billion.

Agent One doesn't need shaders to make things look more realistic. CROM LAUGHS AT YOUR SHADERS!

It has an additional resolution of 1080p while Xbox360 only goes up to 1080i.

Agent One's resolution is so high, normal laws of nature don't apply to him. One time I saw him stare at a mailbox and turn it into a small Philipino boy. Needless to say, he swallowed the child.

The PS3 has less Video RAM but it's faster and better.

Except when doorknobs are present, Agent One is faster and better than anything, this includes light.

It has Blueray which is the next standard in digital format.  Why spend big bucks for a blue ray machine when they come out (or wait years for lower prices), when you can get one in the PS3 for a good price.  Just look at the PS2.  It was the cheapest DVD player around.  Xbox 360 uses old DVD technology.  Who really needs another DVD player?

Actually, there are talks of encoding information on strands of Agent One's hair. They're lighter than CDs, easier to carry around and stronger than any substance on the Periodic Table. Engineers at Sony have tried to duplicate this method in a lab, but they lacked the blessing of CROM, so all they produced were hideous Abominations (That guy from The Shield is an example of one such failed experiment. So is Orlando Bloom.)

Now let's talk input connector's:

PS3 has 6 USB slots while Xbox 360 only has 3.

PS3 has slots for Compac flash, SD media and Memory stick/Duo slots while Xbox 360 only has two slots for Xbox memory cards whicle only hold 64MB of RAM.

PS3 has 1 optical audio input while Xbox 360 has none.

Agent One does not have a need for input connectors, as he is telepathic. Once again, this cannot be measured in Hz.

So, you clearly have more flexibility and room to add you digital multimedia lifestyle onto the PS3.

You don't need to upgrade Agent One for a digital multimedia lifestyle. It all comes in the box.

Now about the controllers.  PS3 supports up to 7 of those via bluetooth.  Xbox 360 only supports 4 via old fashioned 2.4GHZ technology.  With a lot of home electronics using the 2.4GHZ, you are just asking for trouble.

Agent One has beautiful women as controllers. Very ergonomic and supports greater than 7 players for the adventurous.

The PS3 has a performance of 2.18  teraflops while Xbox 360 only has 1 Teraflop.  A huge difference!!!!!

Agent One can perform 300 schwarzennflops per second, this is because he was born with blast processing hard wired into his cerebellum.

Finally, the PS3 has Dolby 5.1, DTS and LPCM while SBOX360 only has multi-channel output.

Agent One must regulate his audio output through extreme concentration and the assistance of high tech, classified equipment. If one were to hear his normal, natural voice it would kick down mountains and cause tsunamis to form. As part of an agreement with the UN, he has vowed never to speak with his real voice again unless asked to do so by the current governor of California. Even then, there are three keys; one for Agent One, one for the president of the U.S. and one for Arnold. All three keys must be chewed up by Agent One and spat out as a larger key, which is then stuck into the base of his neck to activate this mighty sonic weapon.

The PS3 has 2 HDMI connectors and 1 AVI output, while the Xbox 360 only uses 1 AVI output.

PS3 uses wi-fi and bluetooth while Xbox 360 only has wi-fi.

The PS3 has the brand new Cell processor with 234 million transistors, while the Xbox 360 only has a custom of the shelf CPU.

PS3 Main memory bandwidth is 25.6GB/s while the Xbox360 has 22.4GB/s.

In a recent seminar in Geneva, Agent One proved conclusively that all of these features are in fact just marketing buzz words and that the same effects can be achieved by Agent One beaming the awesomeness he radiates directly to your television screen.

Clearly, the PS3 is the hands down winner, specs wise.  Now, we know that raw power is not everything, as the original XBOX showed.  Yet, with such superior power AND the diversity of Playstation titles, the PS3 will be unstopable.

No, I think that Agent One is clearly the winner here. We could set up a fight between the two though. My bet is on Agent ONE. Who, incidentally has vastly more variety than any of Sony's offerings. Then again, some people just like sequels to go past 5. :rolleyes:

One time I saw him stare at a mailbox and turn it into a small Philipino boy. Needless to say, he swallowed the child.

wonder if I can report a mod for that :p

anyways Ill proly get the NRS? (nintendo revolution system?) maybe later the xbox if it gets insanely popular.

Damn it Agent ONE! There weren't any choices for undecided.

That what the last chioce is. If you can't make up your mind, it must be because of my aura of sexyness.

How can you say that the Xbox360 is more powerful when the PS3 is in fact the more powerful system.  Here are the specs of all 3 systems, although Nintendo seems to be hiding their specs for an obvious reason  :lol:  but I included them anyway: :D

As you can see, the SONY PS3 is the overall more powerful system.

Agent ONE is more powerful than all 3 systems combined!!!

Don't be fooeld by Xbox360's 3 3.2GHZ processors.  This is misleading, just like what ATARI tried to do with their  jaguar multi processor Bull$hit specs.  More processors don't necessarily make the machine faster or better.

The PS3 has a more powerful Graphics card with impressive specs while the Xbox360 just says custom.  hmmmmm....

The graphics core clock speed is 550MHZ vs Xbox360's 500MHZ.

Agent One's clock frequency cannot be measured in MHz, but in CHz (CROMHURTZ) any number of MHz cannot equal 1 CHz, ever. This is because CHz are a measure of the frequency of awesome (approximately 42CHz).

100 billion shaders vs Xbox360's mere 48 billion.

Agent One doesn't need shaders to make things look more realistic. CROM LAUGHS AT YOUR SHADERS!

It has an additional resolution of 1080p while Xbox360 only goes up to 1080i.

Agent One's resolution is so high, normal laws of nature don't apply to him. One time I saw him stare at a mailbox and turn it into a small Philipino boy. Needless to say, he swallowed the child.

The PS3 has less Video RAM but it's faster and better.

Except when doorknobs are present, Agent One is faster and better than anything, this includes light.

It has Blueray which is the next standard in digital format.  Why spend big bucks for a blue ray machine when they come out (or wait years for lower prices), when you can get one in the PS3 for a good price.  Just look at the PS2.  It was the cheapest DVD player around.  Xbox 360 uses old DVD technology.  Who really needs another DVD player?

Actually, there are talks of encoding information on strands of Agent One's hair. They're lighter than CDs, easier to carry around and stronger than any substance on the Periodic Table. Engineers at Sony have tried to duplicate this method in a lab, but they lacked the blessing of CROM, so all they produced were hideous Abominations (That guy from The Shield is an example of one such failed experiment. So is Orlando Bloom.)

Now let's talk input connector's:

PS3 has 6 USB slots while Xbox 360 only has 3.

PS3 has slots for Compac flash, SD media and Memory stick/Duo slots while Xbox 360 only has two slots for Xbox memory cards whicle only hold 64MB of RAM.

PS3 has 1 optical audio input while Xbox 360 has none.

Agent One does not have a need for input connectors, as he is telepathic. Once again, this cannot be measured in Hz.

So, you clearly have more flexibility and room to add you digital multimedia lifestyle onto the PS3.

You don't need to upgrade Agent One for a digital multimedia lifestyle. It all comes in the box.

Now about the controllers.  PS3 supports up to 7 of those via bluetooth.  Xbox 360 only supports 4 via old fashioned 2.4GHZ technology.  With a lot of home electronics using the 2.4GHZ, you are just asking for trouble.

Agent One has beautiful women as controllers. Very ergonomic and supports greater than 7 players for the adventurous.

The PS3 has a performance of 2.18  teraflops while Xbox 360 only has 1 Teraflop.  A huge difference!!!!!

Agent One can perform 300 schwarzennflops per second, this is because he was born with blast processing hard wired into his cerebellum.

Finally, the PS3 has Dolby 5.1, DTS and LPCM while SBOX360 only has multi-channel output.

Agent One must regulate his audio output through extreme concentration and the assistance of high tech, classified equipment. If one were to hear his normal, natural voice it would kick down mountains and cause tsunamis to form. As part of an agreement with the UN, he has vowed never to speak with his real voice again unless asked to do so by the current governor of California. Even then, there are three keys; one for Agent One, one for the president of the U.S. and one for Arnold. All three keys must be chewed up by Agent One and spat out as a larger key, which is then stuck into the base of his neck to activate this mighty sonic weapon.

The PS3 has 2 HDMI connectors and 1 AVI output, while the Xbox 360 only uses 1 AVI output.

PS3 uses wi-fi and bluetooth while Xbox 360 only has wi-fi.

The PS3 has the brand new Cell processor with 234 million transistors, while the Xbox 360 only has a custom of the shelf CPU.

PS3 Main memory bandwidth is 25.6GB/s while the Xbox360 has 22.4GB/s.

In a recent seminar in Geneva, Agent One proved conclusively that all of these features are in fact just marketing buzz words and that the same effects can be achieved by Agent One beaming the awesomeness he radiates directly to your television screen.

Clearly, the PS3 is the hands down winner, specs wise.  Now, we know that raw power is not everything, as the original XBOX showed.  Yet, with such superior power AND the diversity of Playstation titles, the PS3 will be unstopable.

No, I think that Agent One is clearly the winner here. We could set up a fight between the two though. My bet is on Agent ONE. Who, incidentally has vastly more variety than any of Sony's offerings. Then again, some people just like sequels to go past 5. :rolleyes:

Max,

The light of CROM guides you.

Yes there was a regular edition of Lunar but it came out years after the edition that you have... I have it cause I didn't have a Playstation ever(until PS2) so I never got the old release of Lunar.

I'm the opposite.

I got my Silver Star Story on launch week, THEN got a PS1 to play it.

But I was a Lunar fanboy before most of the english-speaking world heard of it.

Cousin had a SegaCD and the Lunar games when I was a kid. Actually bought his Genesis setup off him for the sole reason of playing Lunar(I was a Nintendo fanboy at the time, and was pretty sure Silver Star and Eternal Blue were the only 2 games worth owning on the Genesis).

For the most part, the only games I play anymore are Zelda and Metroid titles. I grew up loving those games, and I like how Nintendo has kept things fresh with them. I also like Nintendo's view on the game industry.

If I do get a next gen console, the Revolution would be it.

Right now I'm leaning on PS3, but time will tell. I could end up with both like I have XBOX and PS2 right now. B)) Nintendo? They're day is done, though I'm willing to be surprised (unlikely, tho).

Right now I'm leaning on PS3, but time will tell. I could end up with both like I have XBOX and PS2 right now. B)) Nintendo? They're day is done, though I'm willing to be surprised (unlikely, tho).

Their day is far from over. They've had a gigantic war chest for years. 5 billion is nothing to sneeze at.

Right now I'm leaning on PS3, but time will tell.  I could end up with both like I have XBOX and PS2 right now.  B))  Nintendo?  They're day is done, though I'm willing to be surprised (unlikely, tho).

Their day is far from over. They've had a gigantic war chest for years. 5 billion is nothing to sneeze at.

Having money to fall back on is worthless if you're out of touch with the majority of the market. Nintendo hasn't actually put out a good piece of hardware since the Super NES (the GBA family has some great software, but every variant of the GBA has some flaws).

Nintendo is far from done. think i heard RE:4 sold more games in the world than any other. could be wrong. For me, i'll most likely get the X-box360 and PS3. More Metal Gear Solid, More Halo, and more PERFECT DARK!!! sounds great to me!! Although, sooner or later i will get the Nintendo for the new Zelda game.

Right now I'm leaning on PS3, but time will tell.  I could end up with both like I have XBOX and PS2 right now.  B))  Nintendo?  They're day is done, though I'm willing to be surprised (unlikely, tho).

Having money to fall back on is worthless if you're out of touch with the majority of the market. Nintendo hasn't actually put out a good piece of hardware since the Super NES (the GBA family has some great software, but every variant of the GBA has some flaws).

That's just ignorant. They're neck and neck with Microsoft as far as systems sold and if the Gamecube isn't "decent" hardware then, why do PS2 games look like ass compared to GC games?

I mean, they've got their shortcomings, but to say that they haven't come out with decent hardware since the SNES is just preposterous. The N64 was a piece of trash, I'll give you that. ;)

I'd prefer them to keep out of touch with the majority of the market if they have to appeal to the xXx and Fast and Furious crowd. I think many agree that 99% of the games released these days suck. For me, the 1% is primarily comprised of Gamecube games.

The prob withe the N64 was storage...lack of it and the cost of carts that held less. Had that been a CD Rom system, things may have been different in the 32 bit wars.

And even if Nintendo is no longer the juggernaut they used to be, they are still profitable...though admittedly, they now have the rep as low man on the console totem pole.

I gave up VGs for quite a while now. But being at E3 makes me want to try out some games. I might buy both the XBox 360 and the PS3. I'll probably only play 3 games a year though... :lol:

Wow... that is a lot. You sure showed me... 

Shaders make games look more realistic by simulating multiple light sources on a 3D model. And neither console is likely to approach its maximum operations/second anytime soon.

mikeszekely-

You basically said the same thing I said, except you elaborated which I didn't feel you could handle such big words. Here is a cookie. ANYWAYS, stop skirting aroung the facts, brother. The PS3 has a WHOLE LOT MORE shaders which means the games will look a lot better, even without maxing out anytime soon.

By the time TVs with 1080p support are in the majority of houses, and by the time that software developers use 1080p as a standard, both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 will have been replaced. How's that for thinking of the future?

Let fill you in on a little fact Einstein. HD sales have started to pick up significantly this year, so the future of HD is approaching sooner that you know, so wake up and smell reality. I am personally getting a set early next year.....oh wait, that's when the PS3 comes out. WOW, what a coincidence. I thought the future was so many years away. :lol::lol::lol: If you can't afford one, don't pass it off as "the future is so far away".

Even though I'm actually pulling for Blu-Ray, why should I accept it as the future when that hasn't even been decided? The PS3 is using Blu-Ray because that's Sony's format. But if HD-DVD wins out, or if a hybrid format is accepted as the new standard, the PS3 won't be playing movies on the format anytime soon anyway.

Don't think SONY is stupid. They will release the PS3 on blue-ray if there is no standard. If a standard is agreed upon, then the PS3 will come with that instead. It;s not very diificult to swap drives, Sherlock.

Are you so sure Sony is willing to eat costs? As far as I know, although I'll bet JB0 knows for sure, only the Xbox was consistantly sold at a loss. And while people are still predicting a price close to $300 for the Xbox 360 (and I'll bet even less for the Revolution), the Mainichi Daily News reported that Sony is planning to sell the PS3 at 50,000 yen... about $470.

Yes, I am certain. All consoles have sold at cost or below when they debut. SONY is no exception. What the companies do, is figure out a way to produce them cheaper (and smaller) down the road and recup their costs. The bucks are in the games anyway, so it's just the old razor and razor blade game. For the last time. the PS3 will not cost $500.00 you lemming. The Mainichi Daily News DID NOT say that. They said that it would cost U-N-D-E-R $500.00. Get your facts straight.

I highly doubt it. Even my unemployed brother has a stand alone DVD player. I'd say, with some confidence, that people who use their consoles as their primary or sole DVD player are an extreme minority.

Who cares about your brother. He does not represent the USA. In fact, you really need to think before you post. It is a fact that DVD disc sales jumped dramatically after the PS2 launched because at that time, it was the cheapest DVD player on the marker. People bought it because it was a DVD player and a next gen console.

Guess what, smacktard? Metal Gear Solid 3 is on a single layer DVD. Feel free to throw your copy into a computer and analyze it with DVD Decrypter, if you don't believe me. If running out of space was really an issue for Kojima, why didn't they simply use a dual-layer DVD? Likewise, if they'd run out of space for extras, how is it that they're are, in fact, releasing a Substance version with extras? 99% of the games developed today are on single-layer DVDs. Despite your erroneous claims to the contrary, it is a fact that most games do not even come close to taking up the full 9GB provided by a dual-layer DVD.

smacktard? Is that how you react when you are being shot down and put away? How immature. Regardless, I will continue to school you. Hideo Kojima dod in fact make that statement. WHhy did he not go with a dual layer format? Who cares but he didn't and did run out of space. He has his reasons and he is not the first to say this. The fact is that, deveopers are running out of space and they DO need discs that hold more room without having to multi layer. Games will only get more complex and require a hell of a lot more space which DVD's will not be able to deliver. Blue ray is the answer.

Try unplugging something when you're not using it. Even assuming that I'm going to play a game online with a mouse and keyboard, and I want to use voice chat instead of typing messages... well, the headset plugs into the controller on the 360, so that still leaves you with a free USB port. I mean, seriously, if you can come up with a reason why you'd actually need to simultaneously use all six USB ports on the PS3, I'll concede this argument.

Don't give me that weak $hit man. <_< unplug it. Is that what you do when you run out of plugs in an outlet. Sure we are talking about something else but you get my point. Why do you thing that newer computers have more and more USB ports and the like compared to older computers. They are a must. The same holds true for consoles. They are turning into media centers that you will be able to merge your digital and Internet lifestyle to. You will use it for many devices, like cameras, psp, mic's, keyboards, etc...... Multiple ports will be a must and unplugging them is a moronic solution unless you don't have a digital lifestyle and that means you are old.

The future of multiplayer isn't trying to split a screen seven ways and trying to get six people to come over to play at the same time. Microsoft already proved that the future of mulitplayer is online.

Do you know what the future holds? No? Then shut up and stop trying to pretend that you do. I sure don't but SONY is trying to and it's better to be ready than to not be ready. Oh and that statement that MS proved that the future of mulitplayer is online. That is a bunch of bs and you know it. Did you know that out of all Xbox live accounts, only 20% of those members are actually online for more than 4 hours a week. That hardly shows that onlime gaming is the future. It might be there on day but right now, online gaming and communities are at their infancy and nobody knows what tomorrow will bring.

Bottom line is that PS3 owners have generic sequels to franchises past their prime, like Tekken 6 and Gran Turismo 5, to look forward to. At least the Xbox 360 is getting Perfect Dark Zero and hopefully more fresh content from BioWare.

Generic sequels? Try best selling sequels to established and best selling franchises. They also have a lot of fresh content out there, so don't even go there. PS3 had back to back killer demos being shown, of which Killzone 2 was the best game at E3, hands down and the only thing that impressed me out of the Xbox360 was Gears of war. HEH!!! <_<

So the best demos and in-development games look better for the PS3 than the best demos and in-development games for the Xbox 360. That means nothing until we see finished games running on finished hardware.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please wait while I run out of my house and loose a lung laughing outloud. :lol::lol: A demo running on a development kit gives a sense of how the end will will eventually turn out. Microsoft is getting ready to launch the Xbox360 and those demos are pretty close to completion. Well, they pale in comparrison to the PS3 demo's which have only been in development for less than 2 months and they still have at least 8 months to go. PS3 had no playable games at E3 because they are all early in development but MS had plenty of Xbxo360 games that were playable which means that they are farther along and the PS3 demos looked better. What does that tell you??????????

To be honest with you, I saw MS mostly talking and talking and talking about Xbox live and the community and not so much about the superiority of their games. SONY, on the other hand, walked the walk and showed us the future of gaming. Remember, that in the end, it's about the games and MS is not really getting it. Nintendo gets it but that is a whole other story.

p.s. Look at the poll above. Hmmmm........sure looks like PS3 is in the lead BY A LOT!!!!!! This is only a small indicator of things to come.

"Live in you world. Play in ours"

Edited by MGREXX

I highly doubt it. Even my unemployed brother has a stand alone DVD player. I'd say, with some confidence, that people who use their consoles as their primary or sole DVD player are an extreme minority.

Who cares about your brother. He does not represent the USA. In fact, you really need to think before you post. It is a fact that DVD disc sales jumped dramatically after the PS2 launched because at that time, it was the cheapest DVD player on the marker. People bought it because it was a DVD player and a next gen console.

lots of things but ill stay on this one.

also helps that due to technology and manufactoring advancements and my evil nemesis walmart dvd player prices drop dramaticly. I bought a nice audiovox dv-1680 portable dvd player for 300 bucks then the next year I was looking at tv commericals showing 7inch screen ones selling for 100 to 200 bucks. this also help dvd sells and rentals jump since more family homes have em. the non portable ones even cheaper.

today they just giving them away.

Edited by Zentrandude

Yes, I am certain.  All consoles have sold at cost or below when they debut.  SONY is no exception.  What the companies do, is figure out a way to produce them cheaper (and smaller) down the road and recup their costs.  The bucks are in the games anyway, so it's just the old razor and razor blade game.  For the last time. the PS3 will not cost $500.00 you lemming.  The Mainichi Daily News DID NOT say that.  They said that it would cost U-N-D-E-R $500.00.  Get your facts straight.

The RT.com exile forgets the 3D0. Those of us (and yes I was one of them) shelled out $700 for the front-loading Panasonic version of the system when they had been quoting a $500 pricetag for almost a solid 6 months before it was released.

If you know so damn much about the gaming industry (and every word out of your mouth suggests that you are, at least kissing someone at sony's ass, or at best having their child)... what are you doing here? Go out and make everything right. Or better yet, just give your soul to Agent One so he can tell us how it tastes.

Edited by Skull Leader

EXO-

Don't start coming here talking your useless ramblings. I will put you in your place again boy. Now go out and play in traffic or something. SHOOOOO!!!!!

Skull Leader-

Sure I know about the 3DO and their futile attempt at selling a console above cost. So? Do you see them around? No? EXACTLY MY POINT!!!! They were stupid enough to market that thing at such a high cost and some consumers were even stupider for buying it. This just proves my point that 299 is the sweet spot and any who deviate will feel the pain. :D:D:D:D

EXO-

Don't start coming here talking your useless ramblings.  I will put you in your place again boy.  Now go out and play in traffic or something.  SHOOOOO!!!!!

Pot: Yo kettle! You're black, man!

I thought this was applicable.

(In case anyone doesn't know, this is from http://www.penny-arcade.com . If you like video games and you aren't reading this webcomic, I pity you.)

Which Console Be The Bizomb?

post-26-1116578979_thumb.jpg

Furthermore,

I saw the link to Gamestop and they do in fact have both Xbox360 and PS3 games at $59.99

I can only say that this better be a conservative price by Gamespot because if these are in fact the prices for next gen games, then the industry of just asking to get their a$$es spanked and cause another video game industry collapse.

$50.00 is already to much for games and these companies better get off their high horses and smell the cofe man. :angry::angry::angry:

btw:

PS3 blue-ray games $59.00

Xbox360 games $59.00

hmmmm.......no difference in price for the "more costly" Blue-ray games????

SHOCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................NOT!!!!!!!! I told you all.

Are you paying attention mikeszekely??????? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by MGREXX

that's silly... I don't have a butterfly knife... :rolleyes::lol:

hey MGrexx, how about showing me where you put me in my place... how about that time you cried to Steve Yune about me... haha... I still have the email Steve forwarded me...

that's silly... I don't have a butterfly knife... :rolleyes::lol:

hey MGrexx, how about showing me where you put me in my place... how about that time you cried to Steve Yune about me... haha... I still have the email Steve forwarded me...

You don't have one yet! :p

Oooooh.... pm! Or maybe we can ressurect my thread of shame. :D

I don't think the PS3 will be signifiacntly higher than $300, maybe $350. Mainly because microsoft has a few months head start on them. Yes, the PS3 is a monster of a console and arguably more powerful than the 360, and has all kinds of features and what not, but the "average" Joe/Jane Gamer most likely doesn't realize all the stuff the PS3 has and will just say "oh look the 360 is cheaper." I don't think Sony will release the PS3 above $375 at the most, to keep microsoft from getting too much an upper hand.

Are you so sure Sony is willing to eat costs? As far as I know, although I'll bet JB0 knows for sure, only the Xbox was consistantly sold at a loss. And while people are still predicting a price close to $300 for the Xbox 360 (and I'll bet even less for the Revolution), the Mainichi Daily News reported that Sony is planning to sell the PS3 at 50,000 yen... about $470.

Yes, I am certain. All consoles have sold at cost or below when they debut. SONY is no exception. What the companies do, is figure out a way to produce them cheaper (and smaller) down the road and recup their costs.

Actually, most systems are launched at a small profit.

It's generally a bad thing if they start being sold at a loss. That's one of the things that hurt Sega during the Saturn/PlayStation wars, was that the PS was just much cheaper hardware. At 200$ a deck, Sony was still making a mild profit, but Sega was bleeding red ink all over the place. Sega just oculdn't afford to go much below 400 at US launch.

The XBox is an exception, because Microsoft doesn't really CARE if it's a profitable venture. Just that it expands their market share.

Quit citing Japan as indicative of the world. It's true that IN JAPAN it was the cheapest DVD player, and that IN JAPAN DVD sales rose sharply with the PS2's release. In point of fact, IN JAPAN PS2 software wasn't selling at launch, just decks and movies. But all of this was IN JAPAN, not the world as a whole.

IN AMERICA, I had a 100$ DVD player hooked to my TV before the PS2 even launched in Japan, much less the US.

Now drop the whole "PS2 was a cheap DVD player" bullshit.

Guess what, smacktard? Metal Gear Solid 3 is on a single layer DVD. Feel free to throw your copy into a computer and analyze it with DVD Decrypter, if you don't believe me. If running out of space was really an issue for Kojima, why didn't they simply use a dual-layer DVD? Likewise, if they'd run out of space for extras, how is it that they're are, in fact, releasing a Substance version with extras? 99% of the games developed today are on single-layer DVDs. Despite your erroneous claims to the contrary, it is a fact that most games do not even come close to taking up the full 9GB provided by a dual-layer DVD.

smacktard? Is that how you react when you are being shot down and put away? How immature. Regardless, I will continue to school you. Hideo Kojima dod in fact make that statement.

Why does this remind me of the whole DOA2 fiasco onteh Dreamcast?

"Yeah, it sucks, but we have tha t1 gig disk full tot eh brim, and we can't fit anymore in. But it's the only version we're gonna make, so go buy it anyways."

"Yeah, we know we said the DC version was full to the brim, and the only version we'd make, but guess what? We made a PS2 version! And fit MORE STUFF into a 650 MB CD than into a 1GB Dreamcast disk! And we won't port this back to the Dreamcast, so go buy it again!"

"Yeah, we know we said we wouldn't ever port this back to the Dreamcast, but we lied. So go buy it a third time!"

The fact is that, deveopers are running out of space and they DO need discs that hold more room without having to multi layer. 
The fact is that developers need to embrace teh full capabilty of DVD, and quit running in terror from layer 2.
Try unplugging something when you're not using it. Even assuming that I'm going to play a game online with a mouse and keyboard, and I want to use voice chat instead of typing messages... well, the headset plugs into the controller on the 360, so that still leaves you with a free USB port. I mean, seriously, if you can come up with a reason why you'd actually need to simultaneously use all six USB ports on the PS3, I'll concede this argument.

Don't give me that weak $hit man. <_< unplug it. Is that what you do when you run out of plugs in an outlet. Sure we are talking about something else but you get my point. Why do you thing that newer computers have more and more USB ports and the like compared to older computers. They are a must. The same holds true for consoles. They are turning into media centers that you will be able to merge your digital and Internet lifestyle to. You will use it for many devices, like cameras, psp, mic's, keyboards, etc...... Multiple ports will be a must and unplugging them is a moronic solution unless you don't have a digital lifestyle and that means you are old.

Buy a 5$ hub, you cheap fool.

The future of multiplayer isn't trying to split a screen seven ways and trying to get six people to come over to play at the same time. Microsoft already proved that the future of mulitplayer is online.

Do you know what the future holds? No? Then shut up and stop trying to pretend that you do. I sure don't but SONY is trying to and it's better to be ready than to not be ready. Oh and that statement that MS proved that the future of mulitplayer is online. That is a bunch of bs and you know it. Did you know that out of all Xbox live accounts, only 20% of those members are actually online for more than 4 hours a week. That hardly shows that onlime gaming is the future. It might be there on day but right now, online gaming and communities are at their infancy and nobody knows what tomorrow will bring.

But either way, a 7-way splitscreen JUST DOESN'T WORK. 4-way spilt is too dang crowded already.

So the best demos and in-development games look better for the PS3 than the best demos and in-development games for the Xbox 360. That means nothing until we see finished games running on finished hardware.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please wait while I run out of my house and loose a lung laughing outloud. :lol::lol: A demo running on a development kit gives a sense of how the end will will eventually turn out. Microsoft is getting ready to launch the Xbox360 and those demos are pretty close to completion. Well, they pale in comparrison to the PS3 demo's which have only been in development for less than 2 months and they still have at least 8 months to go. PS3 had no playable games at E3 because they are all early in development but MS had plenty of Xbxo360 games that were playable which means that they are farther along and the PS3 demos looked better. What does that tell you??????????

It tells ME that Sony's doing what they did with the PS2. Firing up a render farm and churning out animations that match what they CLAIM the PS3 can do.

You're falsely implying that Sony had demos running on devkits. All they had was some videos looping. The XBox 360 demos were real, playable software.

Remember the PS2 demo that rendered FF8's cutscenes in realtime?

Know why none of the released games did that?

The FF8 "demo" was never on a PS2. It was running on an array of SGI workstations.

And this time out? They aren't even bothering with realtime. Just setting out some videos and letting people assume.

Sony's track record does NOT encourage one to believe those are real PS3 graphics, unless they're a fanboy whore.

Seriously I hardly see how people can just say that what Sony was showing at E3 is what they are going to get on the PS3. The FF8 dance cutscene demo is a great example and it was nothing more then a cutscene. The true test is actual gameplay footage with user interface, you controlling the character, etc.

The footage that Sony showed, did they actually say it was gameplay footage? Or are people getting so caught up in the hype and awe and just assuming? Meanwhile Microsoft with the Xbox was showing actual playable demos that were still made on alpha kits with the beta kits coming out soon. Remembering the whole PS2 hype, people really need to becareful before they start prasing Sony.

Also another thing, is it even certain that many people are going to be able to tell the difference between the different systems graphics wise? If you have a action packed game and constantly moving are you going to even care about the extreme small details or how real the war looks. Are people actually going to stop and pause the game and awe at the graphics or are they simply going to care if they get a great explosion and then move on to the next area and kill the next enemy or next part of the story.

Really use all the numbers you want but does it really matter anymore?

Personally an explosion is an explosion. If it look nice then so beat it, as long as the graphics are somwhat better then the last system is all I ask for. The only time graphics mean a damn to me is when I'm playing a game like Myst. Developers can use all the tricks they want to hide graphics flaws in a game any other time, doesn't matter to me. I'm interested in the end product not some tech demo. Also how do you even know if those demo's by Sony were being played on a PS3 kit. They could have it hooked up to something else in the back the way they did with the FF8 dance cut scene.

Yeah. I don't trust Sony either, but average dumbass (you know who you are) doesn't care. They buy into the hype(of their chosen company) and quote it as gospel truth. Its gone on for years, I remember someone saying to me that the Genesis was better than the SNES because and I quote "It has blast processing." Nevermind the fact that the Genesis couldn't have more than 64 colors on screen at once iirc. :) Its interesting to see consoles evolving into more than just a toy though.

Nintendo first and MS second for me. I like Nintendo because they're pioneers and they usually manage to make me smile when I play their games. Microsoft, well.... contrary to what many people think about them, they come out with products that I use and enjoy on a regular basis. I took a leap of faith with my purchase of an XBOX and while I haven't been floored by anything yet, I'm still open. Sony... well the PS2's graphics have honestly looked like ass since day one, but again... the only game that wowed me was GTA and its sequels, but that wore thin after the first one for ps2.

When CD-Rom came out, everyone griped it was cartridge games with redbook audio and nothing more...which was true, but in a few years, CD-Roms began to get full. DVD's will soon be likely to use up all space as well. More storage for the future won't hurt. Blu-ray/HD discs will be needed, maybe not next week, but soon enough.

On that note: You all are arguing over game consoles :p

HA HA!!

post-26-1116584025_thumb.gif

Edited by Gaijin