1/72 Hasegawa YF-21 Step-by-step...

wm cheng

Hey Phatslappy,

Always nice to know one has fans! :D Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. Feel free to ask away! You could also PM me too.

Come on, lets see more modelling... That Yukikaze by LTSO was great!

• 1 month later...

*Jaw drops* :o:blink::D:lol:

Beautiful work Supreme Master Cheng! :lol:

All those little details, the subtelty of the cockpit, the shades on the panels, the extreme skill to put on those decals, it dwarves any beginning modeler, but inspires them also. Great work!

• 3 months later...

Sure, sounds like it could work. But I just used thinned flat black - in very light coats - amost a dusting. You might need a lot of the Tamiya clear smoke since its really light and doesn't show up on dark surfaces unless you coat it many times. The problem I might forsee is that due to the many coats you might need to see the smoke, you might end up "filling in" some of the engraved panel lines to the point where they may not read in an oil wash. You might want to do the oil wash before this "post-shading". Additionally, I've found out that a lighter post-shading also works on planes that are darker in colours - especially at the leading edges of the panel lines.

David was nice enough to send me this pictures a little while ago to show some weathering on demonstration blue aircraft.

post-23-1086661378_thumb.jpg

Hey. This is the first time i've posted, but i've been following your work for a while wm. The only macross model's I've built were those 1/72 size ones where you could buy em from longs Drug. Built em, decaled but never really went into details with em. I'm thinking about starting up again, but these techniques of yours is outta control. Several questions:

1. What the hell is primer.

2. What is the putty.

3. Where can you buy all these paints your used.

4. What's an oil wash?

5. How do you accent the lines on the plane?

6. Any guides online about these newb questions?

Edited by Jckdarippr

Hey. This is the first time i've posted, but i've been following your work for a while wm. The only macross model's I've built were those 1/72 size ones where you could buy em from longs Drug. Built em, decaled but never really went into details with em. I'm thinking about starting up again, but these techniques of yours is outta control. Several questions:

1. What the hell is primer. A primer is a base coat that helps the final coat stick better to the model. It is usually gray or white and comes in various degrees of thickness. You can also use primer to find problem areas such as scuffs, divits, ejector pin marks, etc. Be careful, too much primer can fill in panel lines.

2. What is the putty. Putty is just a filler for cracks, holes, etc. Squadron makes a popular putty line. Most around here have several different kinds of putty depending on the size of the problem area. Some use Tamiya putty or Miliput (a two part putty... have to mix them together so they harden) or Mr. Surfacer 500 or 1000 (actually these are primers, but can be used to fill small areas like putty).

3. Where can you buy all these paints your used. I use my local hobby store. You can also use ehobbies.com, Squadron.com, and a variety of others.... just search on Google.

4. What's an oil wash? This is an oil based paint that has been thinned down to about 8 parts thinner to 1 part oil paint. This is mixed well and dabbed gently into panel lines... the capillary action of the paint will make the paint flow through the panel lines, thus enhancing the panel lines.

5. How do you accent the lines on the plane? An oil wash does this most effectively. You can also use pastel chalks, fine pencils, and shading techniques (only for the best airbrushers!)

6. Any guides online about these newb questions? Keep reading the wm Cheng threads... he has a link to all his old threads in this forum. Also there are tips in FineScale modeler, a modeling magazine. You can check it out online at finescale.com. Personally, I like starshipmodeler.com... those guys over there have been very helpful.

Hope this helps.

Hey LTSO...You mentioned to Jckdarippr to go to wm chengs' threads to see his build-ups of some of his U.N Spacy fleet. I have been trying for so long to view those threads but when i do i get a screen saying the boards are off line with an appoligy. Do you know of a place to view them that i do not know about???? Any info would be helpful......Thanks :unsure::unsure:

Hey thanks LTSO - great answers.

Man... away for a few days and all this happens :p

Yeah, I wished I archived the older threads, I still have all the photos, but it would be too much of a pain to remember and type up the text.

I'm thinking of doing a VF-1S with the gears up (in Roy's colours to keep my VF-0S company) - I think it's a short little project, what do you guys think?

• 1 month later...

New member here, and I've read through two of WM Cheng's build-up articles. Wow. Some great work in this model. I'm planning to do a YF-21 for my best friend who is in Iraq right now, so this will make sure I do it as best I can.

Thanks for the great stuff and keep up the model building.

Oh, by the way WM, did anyone ever put together your posts into PDF? I'd like a copy if they did.

Thanks a bundle!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...