1/72 Hasegawa YF-21 Step-by-step...

wm cheng

I use my good old (15 yr old) Badger 200 single action with a fine tip and needle. Its bottom syphon feed, so I use a combination of a colour cup for small areas, and a bottle for the larger stuff. I love this brush, its really simple and breaks apart easily to clean. I suppose I might treat myself someday and move up to a Iwata double action, but I am happy with this now - I treated myself to a decent compressor - a SilAir silent one - it makes a huge difference.

thats the same kind of brush im using, but I wasnt aware that you can change the needle and tip guess im gonna have to take a trip to my hobby store

That reminds me... I also have a Badger 200 (NH, bottom feed) and only have the medium tip/head/etc for it. The problem is, nowhere around here carries any Badger parts - know anywhere decent to get a fine tip/head/needle/etc online? (I've looked around but didn't find anything...)

That reminds me... I also have a Badger 200 (NH, bottom feed) and only have the medium tip/head/etc for it. The problem is, nowhere around here carries any Badger parts - know anywhere decent to get a fine tip/head/needle/etc online? (I've looked around but didn't find anything...)

Uh... Where exactly would "around here" be?

A wee bit vague...

However some places to go would be badger's homepage.

http://www.badger-airbrush.com/

There's a start!

Awsome work! I'm daring to critic some things just because you asked for ;) Here I go (forgive my heresy!!! I'm not worthy!! ):

I too think you should paint the blue part of the canopy since it has a big contrast with the rest of the blue (the grey is ok for me).

The nose sensor does not fit well (I know it is just a half milimiter step)

Why you used the normal UNSpacy decals instead of the cooler ones with the lettering around them? I've found that they are from a Tenjin's (IIRC) artwork that shows the canopy of the YF-21 opened.

That's all it needs for perfection (but you can do what the muslim carpet weavers do: they never do a flawless carpet since perfection should be only found in Allah deeds... or something like that)

Thanks for this wonderful modeling lesson!!!

Wow. Fanastic work Master Cheng!

Please take a pic of the 21 next to the 19 that you did, if you would not mind. Think that would make a cool wallpaper.

I look forward to watching your next project, whatever that may be.

:D

I have never seen the yf-21 look any better. I wish I could see you work in person because I bet it looks even more amazing than the pics. I just love the metal look of the guns and exhaust tips as well as the look of the landing gears.

I do think you need to do something about the blue on the canopy detail. It just doesn't look right to me. I'm not sure if it is the color or that it looks more glossy than the rest of the plane. I also think the Macross kite symbols could be toned down a bit. The bright red really stands out against the tamer blue. Maybe it is supposed to look like that but I think it would look better with a little weathering.

I also agree with Capt Hungry. Pics with the 21 and the 19 together are a must.

Hi all,

Am I the only one who believes that, if we look in a dictionary the word 'skills', or in mighty google "modelling skills", wm-cheng's face is going to appear? :lol:

Two words: simply brilliant. I do agree with all mw'ers: yf-19 close to yf-21... are a must. B)

Thanks very much for your lessons, really. You're making real fans here! :huh:

I'll look forward your next project too. Even if it's made of thootpicks. I don't care, I would have a photo of it as a wallpaper. Sure. :lol:

mcpaz

Excellent as usual, this one came off really nice with all the different shades of blue, I'd have to agree about that blue color on the canopy. Don't forget to take a new photo with all your Macross models lined up next to each other.

Grayson72

Here you see it from the other side - the side you are supposed to see when they are mounted on the plane. The clear lens appears darker, since I have brushed on a layer of Tamiya smoke to tint the lenses - I will brush another layer on tommorrow when this coat dries. I like the lenses darker tint since it will match my YF-19 nose lenses more that way - they sometimes appear black in the animation. I also painted the interor of the holes on the fuselage in flat black in preparation for these lenses.

so let me get this straight... you added red paint on the underside of part (the notch you spoke of) of the clear forward parts (sensor lights?), and then painted smoke over the top?

DSCN7599.JPG

Hey thanks all for all the encouragement.

Yes indeed all criticisms are welcomed - I don't want just praises (although they are nice for my ego) a simple bow would surffice :p

Please, I want to see all your models, it always helps to see other works and may give me ideas to do on others I haven't built yet.

I guess the blue on the canopy really bugs a lot of people eh? Hmm, it doesn't seem to bug me too much yet, in fact the new set of finished pictures make it seem like a better match - let me know after you see the new pictures if it still bugs you guys. I might consider it then. (I don't mind criticisms as long as I don't necessarily have to abide by them :p )

Yes, I saw those UNSpacy kites with the words around them. I don't see that symbol anywhere in my TIA references. Plus I think they are kind of crowded - I want it to match the YF-19.

Its funny, but no matter how hard I try to photograph it, the photos never really do it justice, I guess its the 3D quality of the model - you loose so much compressing it in only 2 dimensions. I am never really happy with any photos I ever take of my models.

I am continually learning with each model I make, I feel I am getting better with each one I complete - I think we all can be learning all the time. LTSO, yes that is exactly how I did the front sensor lenses - unfortunately none of the photos really convey how cool they turned out when you see them in real life. Trust me, do the red on the back - you'd be glad you did when you're done.

Here's a little tease with the YF-19 - for the rest of the finished pictures, check out my finished photos posted in the Model section:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...=3&t=2069&st=0&

post-23-1065739858_thumb.jpg

Oops, I replied on the other thread where my finished model was - take a look there, yes, you can apply the decals before the weathering - I do weathering, decals and then some more weathering to tie the decals in.

Yeah, put the decals on, then seal them beneath glosscoat. Then you can do your washes etc, dullcoats, drybrushing, pastels etc.

Be aware that there might be a slight ridge at the decal film edge which could catch drybrushing.

I like to get most markings on just after colors, because those painted-on markings will weather along with the rest of the vehicle.

Here's a trick you might want to try on the rear thrusters. Hold the plane aft-end-up, and apply some Tamiya Clear Smoke in the thrusters. Then, after dry, brush a bit of dullcoat atop that. You'll get a gradiated darkening which should give the illusion of more depth.

The model is so impressive it has moved me to repaint my YF-21. I didn't do a great job on it the first time and I was midway in painting it anyways (no decals yet), so I bought a big bottle of isopropanol and started removing paint. Hopefully I won't damage the details too much. Ive got a question though. Would you say its possible to do as nice job Without a Air brush??. I'm at school right now and used to use my friends air brush to do my models. I never used it on the aircraft models because I used to do 1/35 scale tanks which needed an airbrush...

Thanks in advance

Mooka

Yes, I saw those UNSpacy kites with the words around them. I don't see that symbol anywhere in my TIA references. Plus I think they are kind of crowded - I want it to match the YF-19.

Late reply, but finally I found the pics (they are in Tnejin's site in CG works: Macross Plus DVD) Both the YF-19 and the 21 have the words written around the UN Spacy symbols (I think it is a good thing that Hasegawa includes them, love those guys in Hase!!). Here is the YF-21 cockpit by Tenjin san:

post-23-1066157057_thumb.jpg

Yes, I saw those UNSpacy kites with the words around them.  I don't see that symbol anywhere in my TIA references.  Plus I think they are kind of crowded - I want it to match the YF-19.

Late reply, but finally I found the pics (they are in Tnejin's site in CG works: Macross Plus DVD) Both the YF-19 and the 21 have the words written around the UN Spacy symbols (I think it is a good thing that Hasegawa includes them, love those guys in Hase!!). Here is the YF-21 cockpit by Tenjin san:

That's a sweet pic, can you supply the link to Tenjin's site?

Thanks

That's a sweet pic, can you supply the link to Tenjin's site?

Thanks

Courtesy of Macross World links section (this is actually the 3D works page not a link to his home page):

Tenjin's 3D works

Just scroll down and look for the M+ DVD. BTW: The other works are awsome too. The box art from Gundam and Patlabor are superb (not to mention the ones we already know so well from Macross)

I don't really like so much the VF-1 Battroid box art and the one from the calendar with the YF-19 and 21 are fighting in earth orbit.

I use my good old (15 yr old) Badger 200 single action with a fine tip and needle.  Its bottom syphon feed, so I use a combination of a colour cup for small areas, and a bottle for the larger stuff.  I love this brush, its really simple and breaks apart easily to clean.  I suppose I might treat myself someday and move up to a Iwata double action, but I am happy with this now - I treated myself to a decent compressor - a SilAir silent one - it makes a huge difference.

thats the same kind of brush im using, but I wasnt aware that you can change the needle and tip guess im gonna have to take a trip to my hobby store

Hey WMC

I went to my local hobby shop. They have all kinds of stuff for the badger air brush

But the lady that works there has no clue what im talking about. so I was wondering could you give my a part number or the name of the tip and needle im looking for

thanks again for your help :p

KAM

Hey Noyhauser, yes you can get a smooth of a coat with hand painting as I do with airbrushing - although I personally can't. I stink at hand painting, I used to be able to do it quite well - but now I almost rely exclusively on airbrushing. However I have seen amazing handbrushed work. You can't really do the post or pre-shading though.

Sorry Kam, I don't have the packaging to my Fine head and needle assembly anymore - I tried to look it up on the Badger web site, but they don't list parts or accessories. I just asked for the fine head and needle for the Badger 200. My head has a little engraved "F" on the head for "fine" my medium head says "IL".

Yes, I wished Starship modeller had more Macross too - thats why I'm here  :D 

I can only post what I get - and alas, I don't get a lot of Macross.

I would very much like to post your previous on-line builds, with your permission and that of the owners of this forum- I do believe TER-OR has agreed to do the necessary compiling. With links to here and your site, and copyrighted to you, of course....

Yeah, it was time I de-lurked ... been auditing these forums for a while, off and on, and especially wmcheng's online builds.

I welcome any and pretty much all model entries for posting on Starship Modeler. All I ask is you read the submission guidelines first -- makes it easier on me (and easier on me = faster posting)

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/admin/guide.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...