CG Regault Thread

DatterBoy

I know I'm not the only one who's gonna do one of these (I'm looking at you RODAVAN) so I'll start the thread here. Any real Macross fan would want a regault for his valk to fight.

Gotta say.. it's pretty tough, but I think it's not so bad. No transformations to deal with.

1st day's progress:

post-5-1113010168_thumb.jpg

Hey ROD! Good to see ya here!

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and say this model is pretty much done just short of a few details. You don't know how much I wish I knew how to do splines or NURBS for this model. Really would have helped out since it's all curves. I know the model has a lot of issues, but I just needed something modelled so I could do basic compositions and fun animations with. Maybe I'll come back and really try and make this model good someday, but for now, it'll do.

You'll notice some main body detail mssing. Gonna deal with those in bump maps when I texture. Figure it would be easier than modeling it. Even the "+" on it's face will be bumped eventually and is just there for show right now.

I know your model is gonna kick serious a$$. Can't wait to see it done!

:Dat

post-5-1113210396_thumb.jpg

Dat - Nothing wrong with that model , me thinks it perfect ,just add detail . This is a difficult model if you want to get it perfect , a lot of redo's waiting ......

I am having some trouble with the side "jet exhaust" ... driving me crazy :blink:

post-5-1113212884_thumb.jpg

I know what you mean. I spent most of my time on that exact same part. That and the main body will probably my main redos in the future. Something about the geometry for that piece. I think I spent a good 4 hours+ on it and it still does not look the way it should.

So I said screw it for now. Will come back to it later. Something about 3 odd geometries overlapping... and the shoulder piece not really being a circle...

oh well.

Looking good so far, ROD. Keep it up!

Datterboy,

The best way to figure out a shape and to work out it's construction is to simply draw the shape. Not just once but several times from different views. After a little while the way you need to build it in 3D becomes much clearer.

Best way to work on any BP is to get the intial bodyshape where it's VERY closer and then keep several separate saves as you build from the body outward. This way you can easly backtrack to an old mistake or carry something forward that was ruined somehow earlier.

I'll get around to making a Regult soon enough. B))

Dammit ROD,

I hate it when you make me feel bad about my work. Not your fault, of course, just me hating on my limited skills. ;)

Your stuff is always awesome. can;t wait to see more.

I looked @ al the different referneces I could find not one has the same side "jet exhaust" , so I decided to add Rod's version to the list ...

I pretty much added "Dat's version" to the list as well....

Thanks Mechaninac, your Orguss stuff show's some sick talent too.

Thanks Guys , still a long way to go ...

Real life is slowing me down @ the moment <_<

Dat - Your skills rock man :rolleyes: , seeing what other people are capable off , drives me to improve my skills , I am always thinking ... man , look @ that model , maybe if I change this or that I can get mine better .....

Mr March - we will ......

From the time you started to where you're at with it... I'd choose quality over speed anyday. Looks like you'll be done in about 2-3 days at this rate.

It is with great sadness and unhappiness that I , declare I lost it all ....... all my models :blink::(:angry::ph34r:

In the process to make a backup and after formating my excisting backup drive to get it ready for a new backup , my working drive broke , I have ended up with a nice clean 80 Gb backup drive with nothing on. Why didn't I do backup yesterday ...........?

I will take my broken drive to a file reovery company this morning , wish me luck !

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Rod,

I Think me and kingnor have your glaug and your Q Rau so all is not lost, but your valk...

Damn. Good luck. My codolences to you....

It is with great sadness and unhappiness that I , declare I lost it all ....... all my models :blink::(:angry::ph34r:

In the process to make a backup and after formating my excisting backup drive to get it ready for a new backup , my working drive broke , I have ended up with a nice clean 80 Gb backup drive with nothing on. Why didn't I do backup yesterday ...........?

I will take my broken drive to a file reovery company this morning , wish me luck !

That is some teribble news. I've been lurking in this thread and enjoying all of your work.

This really sucks. :(

Dude I feel your pain. Happened to me once ever since then if I declair a model finished i burn it to cd. Needless to say I have 8 vf-1 cd's!!!!

That's why I use RW CD's. Always tempted to keep older versions of the model, it's a nice to have but I rarely ever go back to look if nothing more than to remind myself where the model was at one point. Bulk of the space on a burned CD is made up of test renders.

Sometimes, I burn the files onto CD's I've made for other people as a hidden file, that way, I make use of the spare space they might have and can recover in a worst case scenario.