Transformers the Movie

178 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen it, what did you think?

• It kicked ass!
    • Good, but not as good as the original.
    • Meh.
    • I want Grimlock to step on Michael Bay.

Absolutely LOVED the movie!! Great Fun. Still don't like the bot designs though, they're too complex, not sure if it is even possible for those robots to actually transform into their alt-modes. Does anyone know if the cgi-team actually created the cg-models so the could really transform into their vehical modes without using "anime magic" so to speak? :wacko:

Chris

I share the same opinion about the complexity.

Did the design team want to show off computertechnology by designing something complex and hard to render

and left the whole basic concept of a transformer aside?

Edited by Kin

saw it, loved it. thin on plot, and bay still can't portray women as anything other than playmates of the month, and blah blah, the nit pickers are sure to have a field day, but the movie was a lot of fun.

It almost gives me hope that other giant robot genres could almost be well done. I do agree, a VF-1S would be pretty kick ass.
Might be a problem there - Transformers is practically it as far as american giant robots go, and any japanese anime adaptation would have to be made by an American studio, owing to the smaller film industry in Japan and their lack of movie CG technical expertise (at least compared to a firm like ILM). And american adaptations would need to be changed to make it palatable to a mainstream american audience.

So I predict less 'burning heart of justice', music that can defeat aliens and those weird themes the Japanese seem to dig :D

I share the same opinion about the complexity.

Did the design team want to show off computertechnology by designing something complex and hard to render

and left the whole basic concept of a transformer aside?

What is the 'basic concept of a transformer'? A living alien robot being with a soul, and taking that into consideration (and judging by the relative complexity of biological organism), I don't think its unreasonable to expect a Trasnformer to be extremely complex compared to any machine humans would make. In most modern TF continuities (including retcons back into G1), Transformere's aren't 'built', but born.

By comparison, a human-made robot can be fairly simplistic due to the limitations of technology (and to lessen complications in cost and mechanical failure).

Edited by Fit For Natalie

I take back my saying it would suck, I went and watched it since a lot of people said it actually turned out good, and I had a good time.

I can rip the hell out of a lot of stuff in the movie, but it was mostly fun. Although some of the "humorous" scenes had me cringing in my seat.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/2007070...8392336000.html

The sci-fi saga "Transformers," DreamWorks and Paramount's big-screen take on the Hasbro toys, debuted with $67.6 million in ticket sales in its first weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday. That gave it $152.5 million since opening with preview screenings Monday night.

I take back my saying it would suck, I went and watched it since a lot of people said it actually turned out good, and I had a good time.

I can rip the hell out of a lot of stuff in the movie, but it was mostly fun. Although some of the "humorous" scenes had me cringing in my seat.

yeah, the section 7 was particularly bad, imo. It was like he was in a totally different movie from the rest of the cast.

Same here, actually. I thought the antics around the house could have been replaced with more transformer action... but they did make me laugh :)

I was thinking to myself as I saw that particular sequence, "Well, they brought over the goof from G1, too..."

Two things:

1. Did anybody catch the line from prime apologizing to megatron for fighting him where he called megatron "brother". What was that about...I don't remember Megs being Primes bro.

2. Is the voice of Prime also the voice at the intro of Voltron?

Cheers...good to see that some others thought the film was poor.

Then you get to argue how canon the games are. :)

Rant: I hate it when a movie is released with the express purpose that not all of the story is there---you have to buy the game/book to get the rest. Matrix: Reloaded was the first of this IIRC, but now it's pretty common that any pop-culture movie will be like that.

There's a big difference between the book/game "expanding" on the movie, and "we wrote 1000 lines of script for the plot---600 we put in the movie, 400 we put in the game".

Rant: I hate it when a movie is released with the express purpose that not all of the story is there---you have to buy the game/book to get the rest. Matrix: Reloaded was the first of this IIRC, but now it's pretty common that any pop-culture movie will be like that.

There's a big difference between the book/game "expanding" on the movie, and "we wrote 1000 lines of script for the plot---600 we put in the movie, 400 we put in the game".

In the case of Transformers, I'd say that the games are fairly canon. The console version moreso than the handheld one.

Still, I'm almost certain that I heard SOMEWHERE (from a good source - the comic adaptation, the book, the game... it was one of those) that Optimus and Megatron are indeed supposed to be brothers.

Honestly, I don't see why they didn't just go the extra mile, and throw G.I. Joe characters in too, but overall, it was an enjoyable fanservicy movie. Finally a north american production than can wash the taste of G-Savior away.

What is the 'basic concept of a transformer'? A living alien robot being with a soul, and taking that into consideration (and judging by the relative complexity of biological organism), I don't think its unreasonable to expect a Trasnformer to be extremely complex compared to any machine humans would make. In most modern TF continuities (including retcons back into G1), Transformere's aren't 'built', but born.

By comparison, a human-made robot can be fairly simplistic due to the limitations of technology (and to lessen complications in cost and mechanical failure).

What I meant and what I think he meant was can these bot designs really transform into their corisponding alt modes. That would be the essence of what a Transformer really is. I have no problem with complex designs...though for me it would have been nice to see more recognizable parts of the vehicles while they are in bot mode(but what's done is done)............but I just don't think thes bots could actually transorm into there alt modes without either "Morphing", mass shifting, or anime magic.

Take BB, where the hell is the hood of the car or the front and rear wind sheilds....cause they aren't on his back.....that would be what I'm talking about...they either disappear then reappear when needed or Morph/melt into the bots body. I thought we were going to get to see real transformations. They could have done the moph/melt thing years ago.

Chris

I do have to agree with that, which is a big part of why I prefer the toy designs over the movie designs. (The other thing being that design-wise, the movie robots break one of the basic principles of character design, that being a recognizable silhouette. Again, something the toys manage more successfully.)

Its also in the IDW comics, the novelisations, kids books ect. I think they just chopped it down to that one scene in the movie so that the fanboys don't inter-threat them with bodily harm and arson.

The IDW comics are considered part of the visual canon as it (mostly) closely adheres to what happens in the movie.

What I meant and what I think he meant was can these bot designs really transform into their corisponding alt modes. That would be the essence of what a Transformer really is. I have no problem with complex designs...though for me it would have been nice to see more recognizable parts of the vehicles while they are in bot mode(but what's done is done)............but I just don't think thes bots could actually transorm into there alt modes without either "Morphing", mass shifting, or anime magic.

Take BB, where the hell is the hood of the car or the front and rear wind sheilds....cause they aren't on his back.....that would be what I'm talking about...they either disappear then reappear when needed or Morph/melt into the bots body. I thought we were going to get to see real transformations. They could have done the moph/melt thing years ago.

Chris

That I can't explain - I would need to watch it again (and wait for the DVD to slow down the transformations ;) ) before I can tell where stuff goes. ILM 'CLAIMED' that all of the parts are chained together and go somewhere during transformation.

Hmm, looking at one of those rendered concepts from last year, on the 2009 Camaro body, it appears the hood is still there - merely compacted down into his chest, while the front windshielf is on his back, between the front wheels (on his shoulders) and the doors on his back. Most of the glass appears to be either on his back or sandwiched inside.

The designs don't cheat on the exteriors.

The are very complex. a lot of parts split up into many fragments (including the rear windshield on BB, etc.) and bend or fold. They don't morph like T-1000, however.

Their exterior parts can behave like cardboard or various plastics in terms of elasticity and deformative ability, but don't possess clay-like properties.

OK it's Monday,

Let me start off by saying I am a HUGE GEN 1 FANBOY...

If the following offends you keep in mind this is only my opinion. IF at any time you don't like what I post skip to the next poster (after all I ain't the gospel)...

I gave this movie 8/10 simply because it's a good popcorn sci-fi flick...

It lost 2 points because Bey can't keep his camera straight and the writer(s) need to be flogged...

Pros:

Good one liners in reference to G1 (I thought "good, they got it, there's hope for this movie in regards to TF")

Spike! "Shia nailed him as a WTF? kind of awkward and confused teen"

Competent military (for a movie)

Transformations (nice and fast. I didn't care about HOW they did it. Hell they are living machines, could be nano tech involved. As long as they were something close to mass it was irrelevant.) Oh and the whole Frenzy phone thing, he was just a head then remember that was plausible... His later regeneration NO!!! Who's the Decepticon Medic?

Action: A good amount

Prime said "The Line" in the end battle when camera was on spike running in a ditch!

I recommend everyone see this movie ONCE.

----------------

Cons:

Some of the characters (and there are damn few of them in the movie to begin with) are confusing and even though they were introduced. I STILL didn't know WHO I was looking at in robot mode, too similar. Cause the camera moves too fast!

My biggest gripe is how they all came to Earth and "fell" from orbit. It was downhill since then. I mean seriously, our tech aside from nukes can hurt THESE GUYS????

Prime burns up a few thousand degrees from re-entry PLUS the kinetic and heat energy from IMPACT but a mere 6000 degree sabot round is deadly leathal to TF's? Please...

So Prime falls off a overpass and a highrise and gets all F'ed up, but falling from orbit he just dusts himself off and strolls on his merry way before that??? So far no one has been able to explain that to me.

There is sooo many scenes of spike's family that are simply a waste of screen time. I was sitting there stewing, "Oh god not 2 more hours of this crap!"

The house search scene was like 10-15 mins too long for just one example and also was totally idiotic!

Numerous family scenes were too long or irrelevant.

The theater was filled with parents and preteens and Spike's mom elaborates on "masturbation & Spike's happy time"? Great just what we needed. I knew it was mentioned before I went to the theater, but it was stated that "one of the soldiers in the beginning" referenced it (incorrect). So that took me a little by surprise.

Frenzy (The spy).... First he walks off the plane standing ramrod straight tall as he can saluting to run to the police car (Barricade) in front of dozens of people and NO ONE goes WTF??? Then later he SELF REGENERATES from a tiny piece to get his body back. OK why can't bumblebee get his voice back then?

Megatron... Wakes up and yells in English "I am Megatron!"

nice BUT he's been INACTIVE for like 1,000-10,000 years. It was stated that Spikes great Grandfather merely activated a PROGRAM that etched the glasses. Meg was never awake or aware at any time about HUMANS.

I have a fix for that:

Meg wakes up and in TF lang starts freaking out and we READ IT... Then outside he meets Starscream who interfaces with him and in 10 secs he is up to date and knows what's going on and can speak English.

It also would be a great time for him to plant one right in SS's face point blank range that throws him into the dam so when he gets up his imprint is in the stone and then tell him to go get the cube and "not fail a second time."

That whole scene of Megan running away with bumblebee was a complete waste of time. my re-write -

Spike "Oh god his legs..."

BB (Transforms arms into guns)!!!

Spike "...But you still want to fight" BB shakes head.

Megan (takes a second to look and spots tow truck) "Help him get up, I got an idea" (turns to BB and points at Tow truck) "Listen, I drive and you shoot, ok?"

Now that whole scene would make a lot more sense.

I could go on, but basically I feel bad they had to throw Gen 1 out the window and start mainstream TF lore from this point on. And it's sad really, cause there is so much to the franchise ("a rich mythology") a reviewer wrote.

Notes:

BTW Prime did call Megatron "Brother" in the series (Cause all TF's are brothers in spirit)

When they said "project Iceman" I nearly crapped myself, cause I thought at first they meant Jetfire/Skyfire (the F-14/VF-1S guy).

They could have kept the cube storyline (I had no prob with the whole 'spark of life & instant creation' thing). I just wish they had the ARK and Decepticon ship come to Earth, fight , and then crash. Have Deceps wake up in 2003 start covertly assimilating in society and then have autobots wake up in 2007 and play catch up now that the Deceps are making their BIG MOVE. Could have kept the whole Teletran 1 damaged probe that scanned earth vehicles at random and healed both friend or foe and gave them alt forms based or relative mass...

So to sun up, yeah I saw the movie and if they make a sequel I'll probably see that also, but that doesn't mean I still won't pick out inconsistencies with CANON.

Note: Something is Canon when it is the Original source.

A book can be Canon, A movie can be Canon, hell even a Comic can be Canon. It's everything AFTER that source that becomes secondary or tritary to Canon. (exception, for years Lucas said all SW is Canon, then backtracked and said EU is "mostly" Canon)

Tangent Question: How does "Star Wars/Transformers" Toys make you feel? Personally I wanted to puke when I saw them in a store...

Edited by Star Dragon

Prime burns up a few thousand degrees from re-entry PLUS the kinetic and heat energy from IMPACT but a mere 6000 degree sabot round is deadly leathal to TF's? Please...

So Prime falls off a overpass and a highrise and gets all F'ed up, but falling from orbit he just dusts himself off and strolls on his merry way before that??? So far no one has been able to explain that to me.

If you watch during that sequence, their protoform entry modes have some form of protective coating (like a cacoon) that burns off in entry. Their protoform entry modes, as I understand it are designed specifically for this task until they can find a native form to adopt, like a stasis pod protecting newborn protoform transformers from Beast Wars.

Frenzy- Then later he SELF REGENERATES from a tiny piece to get his body back. OK why can't bumblebee get his voice back then?
He did, didn't he? I forgot when exactly he is zapped by Allspark energy, but I believe it was when he activated its compact mode, and evidently it repaired his vocal unit as he revealed at the end. Its possible he got back his voice immediately, but they saved it until the end as a 'big reveal', such as it was.

Megatron... Wakes up and yells in English "I am Megatron!"

nice BUT he's been INACTIVE for like 1,000-10,000 years. It was stated that Spikes great Grandfather merely activated a PROGRAM that etched the glasses. Meg was never awake or aware at any time about HUMANS.

I have a fix for that:

Meg wakes up and in TF lang starts freaking out and we READ IT... Then outside he meets Starscream who interfaces with him and in 10 secs he is up to date and knows what's going on and can speak English.

I think Megatron was aware the whole time - he just wasn't in the position to free himself.

That whole scene of Megan running away with bumblebee was a complete waste of time. my re-write -

Spike "Oh god his legs..."

BB (Transforms arms into guns)!!!

Spike "...But you still want to fight" BB shakes head.

Megan (takes a second to look and spots tow truck) "Help him get up, I got an idea" (turns to BB and points at Tow truck) "Listen, I drive and you shoot, ok?"

Now that whole scene would make a lot more sense.

I think she felt guilty for running away as Spike and Lennox told her to while everybody else was fighting and risking their lives.

BTW Prime did call Megatron "Brother" in the series (Cause all TF's are brothers in spirit)
What series? Not in G1, and either way the movie isn't G1.

In this continuity, Optimus Prime and Megatron are literally brothers, as in family. The fair Optimus Prime was the politician while the firm Megatron was Lord High Protector, supreme commander of the armies.

So to sun up, yeah I saw the movie and if they make a sequel I'll probably see that also, but that doesn't mean I still won't pick out inconsistencies with CANON.

Note: Something is Canon when it is the Original source.

A book can be Canon, A movie can be Canon, hell even a Comic can be Canon. It's everything AFTER that source that becomes secondary or tritary to Canon. (exception, for years Lucas said all SW is Canon, then backtracked and said EU is "mostly" Canon)

Tangent Question: How does "Star Wars/Transformers" Toys make you feel? Personally I wanted to puke when I saw them in a store...

Canon to what? Every Transformers continuity is canon to itself. Each continuity is as relevant as the next, and part of Transformers as a whole.

*G1 - BW - BM are the G1 Sunbow animated/Marvel fusion continuity

*G1 - Headmasters - Masterforce - Victory - Zone - BW - BW2 - BWNeo is the Japanese G1 continuity

*G1 - G2 is the G1 Marvel continuity

*G1 - Classics is the new G1 Marvel Classics continuity

*RID is its own small continuity

*G1 Dreamwave is its own continuity based (sort of) on the Sunbow G1 animated continuity

*G1 IDW is its own continuity

*Armada - Energon - Cybertron is the Unicron Trilogy continuity

*Timelines links the Unicron Trilogy and the G1 Classics continuity.

*The movie is its own new continuity, and the major new TF continuity.

*And TF:Animated is also its own new continuity.

And from what Hasbro said awhile back, what binds all Transformers continuities together is the same multiversal beings known as Primus and Unicron inhabited them or will inhabit them all at one time or another, though that might have changed with Simon Furman's comments about his plans for the IDW G1 universe.

SWTF - they're just toys. Part of no storyline or continuity. I not a fan of them because their robot modes aren't very good for the most part.

Hmm, seems like people are having to do an awful lot of explaining to other posters in the thread in an effort to clarify or "explain" what seem to be plot holes/complaints people are coming away from the movie with....

I think this point's been hinted at in previous posts, and I must say I will concur: if they'd bothered to write a script that told a good story, if they'd done a good job telling the tale in the first place, then viewers wouldn't have to try to "explain" or justify to the other viewers the gaping holes that were in the plot/story to begin with.

From the reviews/comments I've seen so far, it could arguably be said this flick doesn't even pass as "bubble-gum for the mind." It'd more accurately be called "cotton candy." Not even offering any [mental] sustainance whatsoever. Figuratively speaking, it hardly makes it past the teeth; just touches the tongue, and dissolves into nothing, barely leaving an aftertaste.

Nah, I think I'll just wait-for-cable on this one...

Hmm, seems like people are having to do an awful lot of explaining to other posters in the thread in an effort to clarify or "explain" what seem to be plot holes/complaints people are coming away from the movie with....

I think this point's been hinted at in previous posts, and I must say I will concur: if they'd bothered to write a script that told a good story, if they'd done a good job telling the tale in the first place, then viewers wouldn't have to try to "explain" or justify to the other viewers the gaping holes that were in the plot/story to begin with.

The problem is that they cut out portions of the story. I read the prequel comic and the movie comic adaption so I got all the fillers from those. But they never addressed why Prime called Megatron "brother" all of a sudden at the end. In other material, they addressed that. In the movie, it came out of the blue. I think the problem is they cut out parts that flowed and kept parts that didn't necessarily need to be there. They need an extended cut for this movie...

IIRC, Prime was fine after falling off the overpass....

Might be a problem there - Transformers is practically it as far as american giant robots go, and any japanese anime adaptation would have to be made by an American studio, owing to the smaller film industry in Japan and their lack of movie CG technical expertise (at least compared to a firm like ILM). And american adaptations would need to be changed to make it palatable to a mainstream american audience.

So you mean Robotech then.

They did it to a certain extent in the Terminator trilogy of films. For example the bit on how the Arnie terminators have an Austrian acent.

But yeah I agree I hate it too. You have to get all the stuff even If you dont want to just to know what happens.

Does the comic explain why the cube created beings that were inherently evil? (i.e.:the experiment room, Hummer, etc.) because that to me seemed like the only real plot hole. They discuss how life is born from the cube, yet the objects brought to life by the cube in the film were all inherently evil as opposed to being neutral, kind of doesn't make sense how good (autobots, cybertron, etc.) can be born from the object.

Does the comic explain why the cube created beings that were inherently evil? (i.e.:the experiment room, Hummer, etc.) because that to me seemed like the only real plot hole. They discuss how life is born from the cube, yet the objects brought to life by the cube in the film were all inherently evil as opposed to being neutral, kind of doesn't make sense how good (autobots, cybertron, etc.) can be born from the object.

They weren't inherently evil, they were feral. What the cube did essentially is create wild beasts out of human technology.

How Megatron could have used the cube to make an army, then, is an interesting proposition. An entire force of berserkers unleashed upon unsuspecting enemies?

they were evil because all the human tech was based from megatron.

if they'd bothered to write a script that told a good story, if they'd done a good job telling the tale in the first place, then viewers wouldn't have to try to "explain" or justify to the other viewers the gaping holes that were in the plot/story to begin with.

While I won't disagree that the movie story is pure fluff, and there are some things not explained within the movie itself (Prime calling Megatron "brother" in a passing comment is hardly a plot hole, though.), however I've seen some very well written stories that left many confused and requiring explanations. Again, that doesn't really apply to the case of Transformers, just saying.

hey were evil because all the human tech was based from megatron.
That seems a bit of a stretch to me. I'd say more likely Boxer's interpretation is the better one. (Though this is a Bay movie, I wouldn't rule out "Evil" being written into Megatron's microships!)

Chris

Why not be a T1000 instead? It's almost liquid (with little pieces n chunks).

The big reason so many people are doing this is because they're still hung up on the G1/whatever continuity they're holding on to. Transformers canon is such a horrible mess that it's impossible to try to link it all together. I do agree that there are some plot holes that could be filled, but none of the giant gaping sink holes that people are suggesting exist.

*shrug*. product placements is one thing..entire feature length commercials are just lame (gotta love that shot of

them in a convoy, set against the water. perfect footage to be recycled into a tv commercial

:p

. but i guess since it saved Bay a whopping $3 million on his budget we'll learn to like it gosh darn it! but seriously i even overheard other people leaving the theater that said they felt like they were watching a gm promo.

Transformers has always been a toy commercial. But that's ok, right? :)

I'm fine w/ the other complaints, but the GM thing seems kinda weak.... TFs have always been about merch. babyyy.

It's like riding a rollercoaster and complaining that you don't go anywhere.

I agree eugimon. Any movie can be broken down to it's barest components by it's detractors. The thing is that ppl that usually complain about these movies (and I'm talking in general, not specifically in this thread) usually are reluctant to post about anything that they actually like and when this happens they're the standard "safe" picks.

Edited by Max Jenius

From the reviews/comments I've seen so far, it could arguably be said this flick doesn't even pass as "bubble-gum for the mind." It'd more accurately be called "cotton candy." Not even offering any [mental] sustainance whatsoever. Figuratively speaking, it hardly makes it past the teeth; just touches the tongue, and dissolves into nothing, barely leaving an aftertaste.

Nah, I think I'll just wait-for-cable on this one...

I've actually not read any of the prequel books, comics, the comic adaptation or the novels, or the leaked draft script. I deduced what was going on mostly, read up abit later.

While I agree that due partly to writing and partly to editing, some things could have been explained or clarified for people who aren't into TFs or robots, I find it odd that people are all but asking for everything in the movie to be explained to them (in the movie).

No offense, but that suggests that either people aren't paying attention or aren't very observant for a film some here are suggesting is pitifully simple.

So you mean Robotech then.
That's an example. Doesn't Robotech infuriate some people here? ;)

Either way, Robotech is hardly as well known as Transformers and Harmony Gold doesn't deserve the sucess, with their attitude.

Edited by Fit For Natalie