Transformers the Movie

178 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen it, what did you think?

• It kicked ass!
    • Good, but not as good as the original.
    • Meh.
    • I want Grimlock to step on Michael Bay.

From what I have heard the TF movie will sorta replay the original animated mini series...a showing of them on Cybertron, and later crash on Earth. Not sure if Spike or Sparkplug are in it but there should be a total of 10-12 Transformers. Divided into 5 or 6 Decepticon and Autobots.

Here's my wish List:

Decepticons

Megatron

Starscream

Thundercracker

Skywarp

Soundwave (with Ravage, Laserbeak, Rumble)

Receptor

Autobots

Optimus Prime

Ironhide

Bumblebee

Ratchet

Wheeljack

Prowl

You gotta have Shockwave and Brawn, too.

Hell, throw Grimlock in as well, and the Aerial Bots...Omega Supreme....

I was afraid that a live action TF movie would look like ass, but after seeing the Citroen commercial with the breakdancing car/robot, I'm convinced that they actually could make a sweet-looking live action TF movie.

Citroen Boogie

Ask and you shall receive!

Me. I'm just hoping to finally get a G1 Prime toy with two good modes.

But we already have Prime that looks good in both modes... and thats the 20th Anniversary Masterpiece Prime, or the Takara MP-1.

Except for the fact that the truck mode is a mess that looks like it's been driven off a cliff.

Repeatedly....

Yeah it does! It's all crumpled up and disjointed and it doesn't have windows or wheels or doors or...

Waitaminute, yeah it does.

Y'know, it's one thing to quibble about not liking a particular part of a design... but c'mon, the truck mode on MP Prime is fine to about 99.9% of the people on Earth. What kills me is how nobody seems to rag on how bad the old robot modes in G1 toys were. Now those were crap.

But we already have Prime that looks good in both modes... and thats the 20th Anniversary Masterpiece Prime, or the Takara MP-1.

Except for the fact that the truck mode is a mess that looks like it's been driven off a cliff.

Repeatedly....

Yeah it does! It's all crumpled up and disjointed and it doesn't have windows or wheels or doors or...

Y'know, it's one thing to quibble about not liking a particular part of a design... but c'mon, the truck mode on MP Prime is fine to about 99.9% of the people on Earth. What kills me is how nobody seems to rag on how bad the old robot modes in G1 toys were. Now those were crap.

I'm with you blaine, save for some odd seemlines and slightly off proportions here and there, the truck mode is fine. The only thing that bothers me about the truck mode is the crappy cardboard trailer.

The Dynobots were so lame. They were the only annoying thing in TF the movie.

They did seem to dumb down the Dinobots pretty bad starting with the movie.

I found Wheelie far more annoying though.

I found Wheelie far more annoying though

Wheelie was the Jar Jar Binks of that TF generation. Any episode with him in it got switched off. Plus, his toy was pretty weak. I know, he's not much worse than the other minis that came before him, but back then I used to laugh at my friend who actually had his parents buy him one. I'll never understand why they didn't just throw Wheelie to the Sharktacons.

The Dynobots were so lame.  They were the only annoying thing in TF the movie.

Yea, you'd think that they would have been able to give them a more intelligent AI with how complex their transofmation design was. Did the Autobot design budget run short or something?

Wheeljack: "Uh Prime, I got some good news and some bad news."

Prime: "What's the good news?"

Wheeljack: "We built the Dinobots and they're fully functional..."

Prime: "And the bad news?"

Grimlock: "Me Grimlock big dumb robot with no brains!"

Repeatedly....

For the price that thing goes for, it should actually look like a truck. I can't stand that thing's alt mode. The windshield section of the cab overhangs the lower section, and just looks terrible. The side vent windows are filled in with hinges, and the door detail doesn't match up with any other truck detail. Instead they tried to match it up with the shoulder hinges, migrating hte dorrs so far upward, they're almost on the roof. They didn't even bother trying to make the shoulder hinges look like part of the truck, they're just beig black bars that run back from the poorly placed door windows. Then there's Prime's cod piece sticking out from under the back of the cab.

The extra seam lines wouldn't bother me, if all the extra bits were in there to make the thing actually look like a truck. I'd rather have a simplified design, that actually has a convincing alt mode, instead of a pile of gimmicks that was only designed to look good in bot mode.

All I ask for in a G1 Prime toy is one that looks as good as a truck as the original, and has a well articulated, well proportioned bot mode. 20th Anny Prime just doesn't do it for me. I'm glad you like it, I'm glad that most of the transfans like it. Myself, I'm a little more picky. If I'm paying $60+ for a Transformer, I want it to look like what it's supposed to transform into. 20th Op just doesn't look like any truck I've ever seen.

• 1 year later...
Not to really kick a dead horse but some of the vehicles have been shown.

post-2410-1150154758_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1150154831.jpg

post-2410-1150154937_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1150154972_thumb.jpg

And just a small, not related to the movie, video of what Prime could look like.

http://www.blackfilm.com/20060512/features...est_video.shtml

407352[/snapback]

Are those movie props? The truck doesn't look like Prime.

I dunno if this is old:

http://www.transformersmovie.com/

Dunno how you can judge that when 90% of it is covered by a tarp.

407401[/snapback]

Well from the pic you can tell it doesn't have chrome grills. If there ain't no chrome grill ona truck, it ain't no Prime, dude!

"Let me see your grills"

"You wanna see my what?"

:lol:

279981[/snapback]

" Me Grimlock no kisser! Me Grimlock king!" I prefer that arrogant SOB Grimlock from the comics & 1st season of Transformers that used to challenge Optimus for leadership. Eventhough the dumbed down Grimlock was pretty funny. I heard in the movie when Grimlock yelled, " Me Grimlock love to kick butt!" It was originally kick ass!

That's not "movie" Prime---that's the same truck they used at the San Diego Comic Con (or whatever) for special appearances etc. They just added a new tarp promoting the movie. (or maybe it's the same tarp, who knows)

And it's a really really bad choice to use as their "promo" Prime--even people very unfamiliar with trucks can tell it's not at all what Prime was. Even with the tarp. It's not even the same CATEGORY of truck. Yes, it's a truck. And it's red. But it's only slightly closer to prime than a large pickup is. It'd be like making Starscream a Lear jet. Yes, it's a jet, but it's not even a fighter.

Though with a movie budget, they should certainly be able to pick up a Peterbilt 362. Out of production, but only recently--plenty of used ones to buy, modify to all look identical, and paint red.

Here you go, the closest modern truck to Prime:

Edited by David Hingtgen

Dunno how you can judge that when 90% of it is covered by a tarp.

407401[/snapback]

I make do with the 10%.

279981[/snapback]

" Me Grimlock no kisser! Me Grimlock king!" I prefer that arrogant SOB Grimlock from the comics & 1st season of Transformers that used to challenge Optimus for leadership. Eventhough the dumbed down Grimlock was pretty funny. I heard in the movie when Grimlock yelled, " Me Grimlock love to kick butt!" It was originally kick ass!

407450[/snapback]

Classic! Great quotes! :lol:

I still say that is nothing more than a "promo" truck for the movie, same one they used last year. At least, I sure HOPE it remains nothing more than a promo truck. Yeesh---make the main character the worst vehicle...

From the many pics of that truck from last year, it's an Isuzu IIRC. Little more than a large furniture delivery truck. Basically, it's half as big as it should be. And very, very rounded. I don't even think it's in the same class. (literally, trucks are grouped by class, mainly according to size/weight---Prime was a class 8, the biggest there is)

Edit: I do think that is a pic from 2005, the tarp and surroundings look identical. Just google "Optimus Prime comic con" and you'll find tons of pics and info.

Here you go, pictures from July of 2005: http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/g...3&box=&shownew=

honestly optimus prime has had so many little changes that i doubt the audience would really mind it.

Though i did kinda like the original movie, especially the slightly crazy guys who talked like infomercials and drove what im guessin is a Screw from 1942.

Ouch, my bad, it is an Argosy. The most Isuzu/Volvo-looking American-made semi ever... God that's fugly. Freightliner has made some nice trucks (FLD 120) but that's not one of them. The Columbia's even worse though, IMHO. Honestly I just kind of "ignore" the existence of the more rounded Freightliners and forget they exist.

(I am a Peterbilt 379 fan---I like big and square, traditional semis)

I highly doubt that dinobots or omega supremem will be in the movie,,, Robots in Disguise

279906[/snapback]

True, but one can wish :D

EDIT: I DID NOT KNOW THE MOVIE IS COMING OUT ON THE 4TH OF JULY! :o

Edited by Oihan

Ouch, my bad, it is an Argosy.  The most Isuzu/Volvo-looking American-made semi ever...   God that's fugly.  Freightliner has made some nice trucks (FLD 120) but that's not one of them.  The Columbia's even worse though, IMHO.  Honestly I just kind of "ignore" the existence of the more rounded Freightliners and forget they exist. 

(I am a Peterbilt 379 fan---I like big and square, traditional semis)

407750[/snapback]

Heh! When its not aircraft you don't care about 'blended designs' and aerodynamics eh? I suppose even the Coronado is a bit too 'rounded' for you?

I don't like the Columbia too. Looks 'plasticky' somehow. Like those cheap fibreglass bodykits tacked onto cheap cars.

But if I am a trucker, its a tough choice to choose between looks and fuel economy.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

Truckers go for looks, then spend lots of money on mods to make them more fuel efficient.

You can make a more rounded (a bit) semi without looking bad. T2000's the best of the aerodynamic conventionals, Pete 377 looks nice while being slightly rounder than a 379 (377 matches the T600 IMHO). 386 is nice too. Changing the T2000's headlights to square ones would make the whole front end look a lot better.

Edited by David Hingtgen