Transformers the Movie

178 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen it, what did you think?

• It kicked ass!
    • Good, but not as good as the original.
    • Meh.
    • I want Grimlock to step on Michael Bay.

Insane eBay Transformers Movie Auctions

"The Strokes" T-shirt worn by Shia LaBeouf - Currently at $610.

My Little Pony Doll - Currently at 425.

Capt. Lennox's Dog Tags - Currently at $920.

Movie Toy Collection (including the unreleased waves 3-4 set) - Currently at $710.

And let's see who in here's got the balls to bid on this one:

Masterpiece Optimus Prime Signed by Peter Cullen - Currently at $365.

/\/\This statement seems at odds with Frenzy's(?) abilities in the movie, i.e., sprouting legs from his head and shrinking down to cellphone size.

The growing legs from his head thing maybe (though his head seemed to be made up of a bunch of tendril like pieces), but he didn't really shrink. His head had a lot of empty space in it, it's really not a stretch to imagine it capable of collapsing down to cellphone size.

About the end...

I agree Sam putting the All Spark into Megatron's chest was kinda of jarring, mainly BECAUSE of what Prime and the Autobots had said earlier in the film. The way Prime said it, and the way the Autobots responded the idea, they were not certain it would kill whoever did that. "Gee, thanks for saving my life and taking care of Megatron for us but......we really weren't certain it would do that."

*edit*

Sidenote: How long til' those of us that weren't impressed are called "whiny fanboys"? (I appreciate the so-far-civil debate, however).

I would hope this wouldn't be the case. I enjoyed the film, but it's not without it's flaws.

Edited by Radd

Amen! I want a DYRL? live action when I saw that.

Sending F-22s for airstrikes was abit strange but that scene was cool for what its worth.

How is using the 22 for an airstrike strange? Search the things specs online and youll see its the next heavily armed MULTI role fighter second to the F-15 E and that thing can carry 15 500 lb Mk82 bombs.

Wow, I just researched - the Ironhide edition of the GMC Topkick is officially endorsed by Hasbro, so it has the Autobot symbol on the tailgate. Only difference is the roof lights are orange (as opposed to Ironhide's blue) and it comes with stock full-size mirrors.

The F-22 is not heavily-armed multi-role. It has a nominal capacity to bomb to satiate congress. The F-14 is 100x the bomber the F-22 ever will be. 2 JDAMs is not heavily-armed. Nor is 8 SBD's when the -22 gets them.

I doubt we'll see the F-22 ever bomb in the next decade. If the F-22's bombing, the US is pretty desperate and losing a World War.

Sidenote: How long til' those of us that weren't impressed are called "whiny fanboys"?

KILL!!!!!!!!! :lol: Nah just teasing you. It's all cool, while I really enjoyed this movie, and after having watched it several times, each with a big grin on my face, I have a list of complaints a mile long.

1. Waaaaay to much emphasis on the army men and command. I certainly think these characters were needed, but there roles could have been minimalized. The focus should have been on Sam trying to help the transformers fit into thier new surroundings. Ultimatly my single central complaint, which all other complaints revolve around is that this movie was 60% a standard, run of the mill Micheal Bay movie, and only 40% transformers. Though the 40% that was transformers was truly great.

Here is an interesting article. I don't care what bay says, I still think the man's a bit of a jerk. I've read a few interview with him and he seriously has a love affair going on with himself, kind of reminded me of listening to Tarantino talk about himself. :-p

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=432709

Edited by GobotFool

HAHAHA! :lol:

They're both the same age, 21.

Did nobody pay attention to the TWO times Primed explained how he would sacrifice his life by putting the All Spark into his own spark?

All TFs have sparks, their lifeforce, and after Megatron got shot to poo by the Raptors, his chest was blasted open so Sam put 2 and 2 together and thrust the All Spark into his chest. The Allspark's power is such that it has the ability to destroy the essense of life, which is what a spark can be.

Why is it stupid?

1. The point being that Megan Fox does not LOOK compatible with Shia's character. I'm all about suspending belief for the sake of a fantasy story but that's stretching the belief and then breaking it. An equally dorky yet cute/attractive girl, not a smoking hot uber-babe constantly coated in woman/sex sweat, would have made better sense.

2. I am a firm practitioner of denial. Shoving the all-spark into Megatron or whatever was faaaaar too easy of a defeat for a villain that's had a nasty reputation for being the ultimate bad guy for the last 20 some odd years. That's why it's stupid. The final battle was rushed, anti-climatic, on and on and on. Did these guys ever watch the G1 movie?

Relax big guy, I know how you get all riled up when you think someone's bashing Transformer-anything. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed and liked the movie enough, I just wasnt' blown away by it like alot of other people on this board...

Edited by myk

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed and liked the movie enough, I just wasnt' blown away by it like alot of other people on this board...

Its been ages since I've watched a movie and had a grin on my face throughout the whole thing. This was the case with transformers. Like the 1st jurassic park, I can forgive alot of its flaws because it was pretty much pure fun. Bay still ranks pretty low in my book, but in spit of him this turned out to be a really fun movie. If what is in the above link is true, and Desanto, The man who poured major imput into the 1st two x-men movies just gave up without much of a fight regarding the creative aspect of transformers, well I do have less respect for him.

Also, something I noticed in this movie. Did is seem odd to anyone that in a few scenes it was light outside, and then not much later it was night time outside?

Edited by GobotFool

Happens in a lot of movies lately. "Sun time compression". Watch carefully. It'll be daylight. Next scene (2 secs long) it's dusk. Next scene--night! X-Men 3 did it too. They never actually "skip" between sun and dark, but sunset/dawn happen pretty quickly...

Just assume there's 5 un-shown minutes between cuts.

Happens in a lot of movies lately. "Sun time compression". Watch carefully. It'll be daylight. Next scene (2 secs long) it's dusk. Next scene--night! X-Men 3 did it too. They never actually "skip" between sun and dark, but sunset/dawn happen pretty quickly...

Just assume there's 5 un-shown minutes between cuts.

Yah, It just drives me nuts. Is there any particular reason they do this? or is it just one of those little oddities found in recent films?

The F-22 is not heavily-armed multi-role. It has a nominal capacity to bomb to satiate congress. The F-14 is 100x the bomber the F-22 ever will be. 2 JDAMs is not heavily-armed. Nor is 8 SBD's when the -22 gets them.

I doubt we'll see the F-22 ever bomb in the next decade. If the F-22's bombing, the US is pretty desperate and losing a World War.

Yeap. I considered the F-22 more of an air superiority fighter than a multi-role thus sending them for airstrikes was odd.

About megatron's

death

, i found it funny when Prime said

"PUT IT IN ME, SAM!"

about 3 times. Prime wants some lovin.

If Frenzy was able to regenerate his body with the allspark, why didn't bumble bee regenerate his legs when he was crawling to the Allspark? >_<

Blown away? Eh... no. Satisfied? Yes. I mean, honestly I take what I can from the movies I see nowadays. Plus, I've never really pumped movies up to godlike status. The only director I really hate is Kubrick, but he's dead so I don't have to worry... unless Peter Jackson starts gettin an ego...

Blown away? Eh... no. Satisfied? Yes. I mean, honestly I take what I can from the movies I see nowadays. Plus, I've never really pumped movies up to godlike status. The only director I really hate is Kubrick, but he's dead so I don't have to worry... unless Peter Jackson starts gettin an ego...

Not even Uwe Boll?

vinnie

Guest sh002

Cool Masterpiece Optimus signed by Peter Cullen. I'm glad I still have my Takara MP version and Takara G1 reissue signed by him from an earlier Botcon. It was cool meeting him as well. I think one of the best things I liked was the fact that he was the voice in the movie.

2. I am a firm practitioner of denial. Shoving the all-spark into Megatron or whatever was faaaaar too easy of a defeat for a villain that's had a nasty reputation for being the ultimate bad guy for the last 20 some odd years. That's why it's stupid. The final battle was rushed, anti-climatic, on and on and on. Did these guys ever watch the G1 movie?

Relax big guy, I know how you get all riled up when you think someone's bashing Transformer-anything. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed and liked the movie enough, I just wasnt' blown away by it like alot of other people on this board...

Agreed on both points.

The defeat was far too easy, I would have liked Optimus and Megs to go for a bit more of a punch up and a fantastic coup de etat or something similar. Shoving a cardboard box into the chest? Nah.

1. Waaaaay to much emphasis on the army men and command. I certainly think these characters were needed, but there roles could have been minimalized. The focus should have been on Sam trying to help the transformers fit into thier new surroundings. Ultimatly my single central complaint, which all other complaints revolve around is that this movie was 60% a standard, run of the mill Micheal Bay movie, and only 40% transformers. Though the 40% that was transformers was truly great.

Maybe the soldiers will reappear and be recruited to a new Special Strike Force Team called GIjoe :lol:!<triumph>I keed, I keed</triumph> but one can dream right!?.

Edited by gerwalk25

I'm wondering how Ratchet can also detect pheromones. Funny nevertheless. :lol:

Ratchet: *sniff sniff* "The boy's pheromone levels suggest that he wants to mate with the human female..."

I'm wondering how Ratchet can also detect pheromones. Funny nevertheless. :lol:

Ratchet: *sniff sniff* "The boy's pheromone levels suggest that he wants to mate with the human female..."

OMG

That line is almost as bad as the one in T2 where the Governator asks why water is leaking from conners eyes.

Maybe the soldiers will reappear and be recruited to a new Special Strike Force Team called GIjoe :lol:!<triumph>I keed, I keed</triumph> but one can dream right!?.

That's actually a good idea. And an interesting way to combine the franchises. A special task force to deal with what normal soldiers cannot deal with. Veterans of wars involving extraterrestrial invaders.

Personally I think you just came up with a good concept.

If Frenzy was able to regenerate his body with the allspark, why didn't bumble bee regenerate his legs when he was crawling to the Allspark? >_<

i would assume when frenzy got near it, the all spark was large sized and not transformed. while bumblebee was near it small.

i for one was glad that the military was able to fight back, because a in the first cartoons there was almost no military presence. and secondly presently our military does not need any negative publicity. and lastly do you think bay would have gotten permission to use military equipment if he was going to make them look bad?

Remember when Prime said

"if I can't defeat Megatron, I want you to put the Allspark in my chest so I can sacrifice myself to end this war" or something like that? Well, instead of killing Prime with the power of the Allspark, Sam decided to kill Megatron with it by holding it up to Meg's chest.

Transformers really is a turn-your-mind-off-and-watch-stuff-blow-up-flick. A paint-by-the-number big summer Hollywood action movie. A typical Michael Bay film with no more or no less.

The overall story was like the old He-Man movie -- Good and bad aliens looking for an all powerful object which happens to be on Earth. The object has enough power to determine the battle on both sides. Also similar to ID4 -- All powerful Alien invasion where the Humans already possess a specimen and samples of the alien. A bunch of wacky characters from all walks of life joining together to help stop the invasion.

But a lot of stuff was handled poorly in the film... the all powerful object (All Spark) didn't really do anything in the movie except transforming from a bigger cube into a smaller cube. And the characters character didn't really come together either to do much.

The biggest plot hole in the movie is Optimus Prime's plan to stop Megatron...

Prime was going to stick the cube into his chest, destroy the cube and sacrifice himself with it. And IF he did that, he ends up destroying the object his entire race searched for thousands of years leaving no hope for Cybertron and kills himself while letting the greatest villain runs free to do what he wish afterwards??? I guess "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" applies to Megatron as well.

Oh noes... because nobody has known about this for... months now? "Rar.... any movie with product placement sucks!"

*shrug*. product placements is one thing..entire feature length commercials are just lame (gotta love that shot of

them in a convoy, set against the water. perfect footage to be recycled into a tv commercial

:p

. but i guess since it saved Bay a whopping $3 million on his budget we'll learn to like it gosh darn it! but seriously i even overheard other people leaving the theater that said they felt like they were watching a gm promo.

Does anybody else think a couple of the scenes were just total filler?

the whole movie was filler.

Bernie Mac: waste of money using him.

Blonde chick and her sidekick: waste of valuable screen time. guess she was there to provide the smart t&a quotient. once again super-genius kids make the military look stupid.

Hot chick: served zero purpose other than to show off her body and to give the nerd the cliched ending of getting the chick.

Jazz: token black dude bot who does nothing in the film. actually none of the bots do anything that they're supposed. ratchet fixes nobody (on screen), iron hide's a weapon expert who doesn't really do anything, and good old bumblebee is doing double-duty as a spot light for the bat symbol (what happened to interstellar communication? guess w/o your voice box your left to being a mime and doing charades :p)

section 7: total cliche. a shadow organization which no one knows about and spouts of such memorable dialog as "this is above top secret!". ewww.

army soldiers: who the heck cares about that guy's wife and baby. Cheezimus Maximus..queue the slow-mo and dramatic bgm!

president bush: way to toss in a cheap laugh. uncalled for imo.

and as for the ending, it's great to see Sam is a

far better tactician than Prime or any of his merry men. Ridiculous.

. Megatron is supposed to be the baddest, meanest, bot...bah.

if you swapped out the FX and used humans in place of the bots (i.e. we're the good guys and we have to beat the bad guys in finding this object) you would have one crappy movie. it's only the nostalgic aspect of seeing prime transform that has some fans creaming their pants. :rolleyes:

its an ok summer flick but 'bestest movie evar!"? no way. maybe TF2 will have a bigger budget and they'll be able to afford some VAs. :)

Edited by MrDisco

Not really - the concept of a powerful Transformer being defeated after his spark is extinguished isn't a stupid idea in Transformers, given that it has happened a few times already, and the spark has been retconned back into G1. For instance, the invincible, immortal Rampage allowed himself to be destroyed by letting Depth Charge plung a pure energon shard into his spark, killing them both.

And if you have a mystical device derived from G1 that gives Transformers their sparks, what's to say directly applying it to their spark won't destroy it?

Yeap. I considered the F-22 more of an air superiority fighter than a multi-role thus sending them for airstrikes was odd.

About megatron's

death

, i found it funny when Prime said

"PUT IT IN ME, SAM!"

about 3 times. Prime wants some lovin.

Because at the time Sector Seven were messing around with the Allspark and activated its energies - hence the scene with the cell phone.

The biggest plot hole in the movie is Optimus Prime's plan to stop Megatron...

Prime was going to stick the cube into his chest, destroy the cube and sacrifice himself with it. And IF he did that, he ends up destroying the object his entire race searched for thousands of years leaving no hope for Cybertron and kills himself while letting the greatest villain runs free to do what he wish afterwards??? I guess "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" applies to Megatron as well.

Because if he had failed to defeat Megatron, and Megatron had claimed the Allspark, the vllians would then use it to turn all of Earth's technology (derived from Megatron anyway) into a new army and nothing would be able to stop them. By destroying the Allspark, even if Prime died, that at least gives the remaining Autobots and the humans a chance to defeat Megatron any Decepticons still around.

Prime had already accepted that their world would die without the Allspark, but decided that humans, being a young race with much to learn, cannot be made to pay for Cybertron's mistakes. As for Prime and Megatron, they are brothers, and even with all their history and Megatron's betrayal, Prime regrets that his brother had to die.

it's only the nostalgic aspect of seeing prime transform that has some fans creaming their pants. :rolleyes:
That was uncalled for. Edited by Fit For Natalie

if you swapped out the FX and used humans in place of the bots (i.e. we're the good guys and we have to beat the bad guys in finding this object) you would have one crappy movie. it's only the nostalgic aspect of seeing prime transform that has some fans creaming their pants. :rolleyes:

its an ok summer flick but 'bestest movie evar!"? no way. maybe TF2 will have a bigger budget and they'll be able to afford some VAs. :)

:lol: I agree though. It's like Star Wars, I wasn't too into it, it entertained me for the better part of 2 hours and that was it.

My 2 cents

1. Very good summer blockbuster movie. Mainstream and entertaining

2. Too much involvement of human's....especially the army guys. MINI SPOILER The ending 20 min of the movie should have been more of a bot on bot killing fiesta rather than the little insects getting involved END SPOILER

3. The prime-megs battle was weak. I agree with the previous posters who described it as choppy, anti-climactic and hard to follow. A stand up straight and bash each other to kingdom come along with I'm-about-to-die-but-I'm-taking-you-with-me king-hit at the end would have been much appreciated (a la the G1 animated battle)

4. Nostalgia ramped up the movie from good to very good for me but I suppose thats what nostalgia is meant to do

Not really - the concept of a powerful Transformer being defeated after his spark is extinguished isn't a stupid idea in Transformers, given that it has happened a few times already, and the spark has been retconned back into G1. For instance, the invincible, immortal Rampage allowed himself to be destroyed by letting Depth Charge plung a pure energon shard into his spark, killing them both.

And if you have a mystical device derived from G1 that gives Transformers their sparks, what's to say directly applying it to their spark won't destroy it?

Because at the time Sector Seven were messing around with the Allspark and activated its energies - hence the scene with the cell phone.

Because if he had failed to defeat Megatron, and Megatron had claimed the Allspark, the vllians would then use it to turn all of Earth's technology (derived from Megatron anyway) into a new army and nothing would be able to stop them. By destroying the Allspark, even if Prime died, that at least gives the remaining Autobots and the humans a chance to defeat Megatron any Decepticons still around.

Prime had already accepted that their world would die without the Allspark, but decided that humans, being a young race with much to learn, cannot be made to pay for Cybertron's mistakes. As for Prime and Megatron, they are brothers, and even with all their history and Megatron's betrayal, Prime regrets that his brother had to die.

I always hate it when people make up their own explanation to explain stuff that wasn't properly explained in a movie. If the movie is executed properly, then there would be no need for anyone to come up with their own reasoning.

I believe most, if not all of that, was pretty implicity implied. It wasn't directly spelled out in another Peter Cullen narrative, but it was definitely in there with a cursory "reading between the lines".

Something I thought was interesting. You know how Starscream is always plotting to out do Megatron, show him up, etc.. I was reading some of the prequel novel in the store today and one part toward the end something caught my eye. Now this could very well be because I haven't read the book and I'm pulling this way out of context.

At the end of the book Prime is talking with Jazz and Ironhide I believe how if Starscream even knew where Megatron was he wouldn't go find him as then he'd lose command of the "cons". Which makes sense since that is how Starscream tends to be. Now this is suppose to be the official prequel to the movie.

Yet in the movie we clearly see Starscream rallying the others and it's he that causes Megatron to be released by attacking the Hover Dam. We see him updating Megatron on the status of things and throughout the ending fight pretty much being his wingman. So were Prime and the others in the novel simply mistaken in their understanding of Starscream and his relationship with Megatron and/or his personality is different from the one we've grown up with since Generation One and onward?

This could be due to the length of the film and it could be a safe bet in a sequel more of his personality could very well come out to fix what I raised above.

Something I thought was interesting. You know how Starscream is always plotting to out do Megatron, show him up, etc.. I was reading some of the prequel novel in the store today and one part toward the end something caught my eye. Now this could very well be because I haven't read the book and I'm pulling this way out of context.

This could be due to the length of the film and it could be a safe bet in a sequel more of his personality could very well come out to fix what I raised above.

During the live interview IIRC, when the movie was in production, the writers said we would see this. But in the movie,

I didn't see a lot of this, since in fact, the Decepticons had very little dialogue throughout the whole movie

. So I'm guessing it was due to the length of the movie and they cut out a lot of the film

Just saw the movie today and while I enjoyed the film for the nostalgia value, while watching the beauty shot of Prime in the end, all I could think about was how sweet a Vf-1S would look instead. :ph34r:

I too, just saw this today and it is definitely one the cooler movies I have ever seen.

Yeah, there were plot holes, not enough of the transformers, blah, blah............for sheer entertainment value alone, WOW!

It almost gives me hope that other giant robot genres could almost be well done. I do agree, a VF-1S would be pretty kick ass.