Transformers the Movie

178 members have voted

1. 1. Now that you've seen it, what did you think?

• It kicked ass!
    • Good, but not as good as the original.
    • Meh.
    • I want Grimlock to step on Michael Bay.

I didn't feel like my childhood was raped.... If anything I felt this was a new take on the popular franchise, much like Armada was a take on G1. In the end it's just one movie with it's own toyline, standing beside many series and many toy lines.

As for the design well... one of my best friends said it was an interesting take considering the Cybertronians were alien robots. I think they conveyed Alien pretty clearly in the movie.

And once again, I think the next installment will really be treating the TFs as major characters, rather than secondary characters to Sam and the other humans. The franchise has taken off, everyone's introduced, and there are many questions to be answered.

Edited by Boxer

I'm hoping that having several key characters already designed will save time/money for the sequel. 2 or 3 years from now Bumblebee will still be a brand-new car, there's no need at all to change Prime. Starscream should still be an F-22, the F-35 won't be out by then either (and it's not nearly as cool anyways) Let's hope they're smart enough to put the 2 "Prime" Peterbilts in storage and not just let them sit on some backlot and get faded and rusty. (It's amazing how many movie props are lost/discarded/ruined, then they have to scramble and spend money to re-create things for sequels)

I'd like to think that somehow the spark Prime carries will become the matrix of leadership we're all familiar with.

Since it wasn't explicitly stated that the other 'bots had sparks... unless something was mentioned in a prequel?

Yeah i didn't feel any raping either. For the longest time i was a big opposer to the film but i knew i would see it anyway. I liked it, it was a lot better than i thought. I got over the designs. Honestly i don't know why we keep doing this to ourselves; we all know these movie adaptations will never be that close to the original material. We all cry bloody hell when we see design or character changes, (i admit i am at fault at that one a lot) but in the end we still accept the changes and like the movies. We need to just get used to the fact that things will never be like they should be and just appreciate them for what they are. Okay so Bumblebee wasn't a VW bug but the camaro was real nice to look at anyway. My true gripe was that not enough time was spent on the robot themselves, and the decepticons did take a huge back see in most of the film especially when you consider they were the first robots we saw for most of it. Also does anyone know when they got to earth or how long they have been here? I know Megatron was here for awhile but they never explain the others.

His plans? "A very cool idea on how to intro the Dinobots and Constructicons. How cool would that movie be?"

With a premise like this, am I foolish in thinking that we'll see a lot more robot action than in the first?

Big change from "a boy and his car".

I hope they find a cool way to make Prime on more equal footing with Megatron.

Thats no to hard now, considering that megatron is dead. :lol: I'd like to see prime get a trailer that he can combine with.

Edited by GobotFool

OK it did not turn out to be a TOTAL horrid mess but I think they tried to pack too much in.

They could have easily removed that fat black hacker and that blond scientist (?) without affecting the storyline. What the heck did the blond and hacker contribute to the story/plot anyway? By the time they got round to it, the Section 7 guy was already on the way to tell the Defence Sec everything.

Over done on the slapstick humour too. The Section 7 guy stripping and getting pee'd on was unecessary.

It seems as if Hollywood execs are reluctant to sign off on movies without high-school jock with fancy wheels losing hot chick to 'loser' guy + token black man for comedy + annoying beaureacrat + blond

I cant believe the stuff i see in these forums. I am a big fan of transformers since i was a kid, and i loved this movie alot, and liked it even more the second time around.

Actually I can't believe the stuff in these forums either, though from the opposite spectrum. The usually critical and b|tchy people of macrossworld are singing praises for this typical michael bay hollywood flick? If not for the past few posters, I felt I was the only other person who thought the show wasn't THAT great, based on the polls.

Edited by wolfx

Sure it wasn't great but honestly what do you expect from a movie about a toyline made 20 years ago and directed by Michael Bay. If your expectations were high than that was dumb; but for what it was you have to admit it was enjoyable none the less. Yes it could be better but than what movie couldn't? There is no such thing as a perfect movie for there will always be someone there to criticise it, and it isn't like the movie was trying to be something it isn't like an academy award winning movie for best picture (although it may get best effects.) I enjoyed it and will see it again as well as Live Free or Die Hard. Except for Hot Fuzz, these movies have been the most fun i have ever had in the theater this year.

Sure it wasn't great but honestly what do you expect from a movie about a toyline made 20 years ago and directed by Michael Bay. If your expectations were high than that was dumb; but for what it was you have to admit it was enjoyable none the less. Yes it could be better but than what movie couldn't? There is no such thing as a perfect movie for there will always be someone there to criticise it, and it isn't like the movie was trying to be something it isn't like an academy award winning movie for best picture (although it may get best effects.) I enjoyed it and will see it again as well as Live Free or Die Hard. Except for Hot Fuzz, these movies have been the most fun i have ever had in the theater this year.

I'm at where you stand as well with expectations way low and all that, thus my impressions of the movie reflect that. It was just abit weird that everyone was ZOMGITWASFCKINAWESOME for the past week. B))

This movie gave me a kinda funny feeling where I didn't know if I liked it or not. Some of the parts reminded me of the old series and there were other parts where they totally dropped the ball. All said though I'd bet most good TF fans could have made a better cut of this movie than Michael Bay did.

OK it did not turn out to be a TOTAL horrid mess but I think they tried to pack too much in.

They could have easily removed that fat black hacker and that blond scientist (?) without affecting the storyline. What the heck did the blond and hacker contribute to the story/plot anyway? By the time they got round to it, the Section 7 guy was already on the way to tell the Defence Sec everything.

Over done on the slapstick humour too. The Section 7 guy stripping and getting pee'd on was unecessary.

It seems as if Hollywood execs are reluctant to sign off on movies without high-school jock with fancy wheels losing hot chick to 'loser' guy + token black man for comedy + annoying beaureacrat + blond

I agree a lot could be yanked out, if it makes you feel any better the two script writers are not going to be back, which makes me hope that maybe tom desanto will take on a larger role in writing the script (he did the 1st two x-men movies). Desanto is pretty good at weeding out the extra bits while juggling a bazillion characters. The biggest problem I have with bay as a director is that he's can be kind of sloppy at times. The fact that barricade just disappears is really bad. It wouldn't have cost that much extra in money or screen time to create a small scene where barricade sees prime completely waste bonecrusher and turn tail and run away like a little sissy, would it? He wouldn’t even have to transform into a bot, just hit the breaks, and do a 180. Hell that would have been pretty funny. There are a couple of other small little scenes that never went anywhere, like what the hell happened to the f-16s taking off?

Edited by GobotFool

I say its not a GREAT movie, but a good one, and at the very least it was very entertaining.

Thanks. Hey...wasn't brawl one of the original autobots? Some little green and yellow cherokee or something like that. I thought they should have had hound in the movie.

BTW does anybody know if the location where prime kills bonecrusher was shot at the bigstack in phoenix? It looked really familiar.

That was Brawn. Brawl was a Combaticon Leopard 1 tank Starscream magically built out of the wreckage of a Sherman tank he found on the Guadalcanal.

DOH, David beat me to it.

I'm hoping that having several key characters already designed will save time/money for the sequel. 2 or 3 years from now Bumblebee will still be a brand-new car, there's no need at all to change Prime. Starscream should still be an F-22, the F-35 won't be out by then either (and it's not nearly as cool anyways) Let's hope they're smart enough to put the 2 "Prime" Peterbilts in storage and not just let them sit on some backlot and get faded and rusty. (It's amazing how many movie props are lost/discarded/ruined, then they have to scramble and spend money to re-create things for sequels)
Never know - fanboy RAGE might cause the next director (assuming Bay passes) to buckle and have Prime redesigned to use a cab over.

I hope they find a cool way to make Prime on more equal footing with Megatron.
I don't think Prime is supposed to be Megatron's equal in power. After all, Prime used to be a politician ;)

Though, what makes Optimus Prime (all of them) strong is their courage and their sense of compassion.

I'd like to think that somehow the spark Prime carries will become the matrix of leadership we're all familiar with.

Since it wasn't explicitly stated that the other 'bots had sparks... unless something was mentioned in a prequel?

Probably not - the only real reason why called the Allspark that name (and Energon Cube during production, hence its shape) was that they thought calling it 'The Matrix' was too problematic legal-wise and people might think they were ripping off the Matrix franchise.

The Allspark is essentially the Marvel TF comics' Creation Matrix.

My true gripe was that not enough time was spent on the robot themselves, and the decepticons did take a huge back see in most of the film especially when you consider they were the first robots we saw for most of it. Also does anyone know when they got to earth or how long they have been here? I know Megatron was here for awhile but they never explain the others.
According to the prequel comics, they got to Earth in 2003. Apparently Starscream got his form by shooting down an F-22 that was having a test flight. Of course, this doesn't jive with the fact

Blackout's vehicle mode was from an MH-53 he destroyed several months earlier, according to that tech guy at the SOCCENT base in the movie

I say its not a GREAT movie, but a good one, and at the very least it was very entertaining.

That's all I really expected. Effects-wise, the movie exceeded my expectations. It also didn't take itself far too seriously as I feared it would. Frenzy/Soundbyte was great (at least I thought so), and there was just the right ratio of Transformers and human involvement to make me happy. The characters weren't as well written as they could have been, the scope of the movie was not as epic as it could have been, and the story didn't really pull me in as well as it could have (all the reasons why earlier I mentioned my preference for other movies released this year). However, at the same time the characters, dialogue, and story, never really made me cringe except

that one scene where Bumblebee "lubricates" on the S7 officer (Seriously, WTF? Also, Jazz's death was so anti-climatic. Seriously, he's one of my favourite characters, I should have felt something. Just the way it was presented and built up, and the way the characters reacted at the end, it seemed like such a non-event. "We lost a great comrade today. We'll all miss you, Blues." "His name was Jazz, Prime." "Whatever.")

, and the action was great. I enjoyed it, and I certainly plan on seeing the next film as soon as it comes out.

Jazz's death was so anti-climatic. Seriously, he's one of my favourite characters, I should have felt something. Just the way it was presented and built up, and the way the characters reacted at the end, it seemed like such a non-event.

Well, I felt fortunate to have even "seen" that event as the action was a little too busy at times. It was also ridiculous in that it took all of two seconds and then it was done. Anyone biting into their candy bars at that point would've missed it; next thing you know Megan Fox and what's his face are making out on top of Bumblebee. WTF indeed. Oh, and Megan Fox was waaay too hot for that role. High school junior my optronic sensors, she looked three times as old as Shia...

I hated this movie, and I suspect that it hated me too. I'm not even going to go into details about the myriad of problems I had with this movie, because it's really not worth it to me, but suffice to say that none of them are of the "OMG flames on teh Prime" variety. I'm just going to patiently wait here in the hopes that The Bourne Ultimatum will salvage the summer movie season.

I really liked the designs and I knew that seeing them transform would be worth the ticket. In story terms I was expecting something at least better than the kiddy G1 (not very difficult, I know). What I got was what I was expecting and MORE.

The CG was great, really great. Some scenes were too chaotic but I was actually expecting less screen time for the bots. Frenzy is my favourite!

All the humans dancing around didn’t make the movie a fleshy snore fest; they actually made me enjoy the movie more (and so many shots from human perspective really helped make the transformers come off as huge creatures that really need a disguise to go unnoticed).

And the best surprise was that the movie was funny; even with some hug plot wholes and a simple story (“they are bad and we are good”), the movie was very enjoyable to watch. As epic as it was (it could still be far more epic though), the jokes where well placed and didn’t retract much from the seriousness of some of the events (

the house scene with the autobots was hilarious!

); no need for constant emo crap like in Spiderman 3 (I find that the fatal flaw in all the overdramatic movie franchise is the lack of wise cracks from Spidey from time to time like in the comic).

For me, the fact that it takes place in the real world and in the present makes it more enjoyable than 300 or Pirates. Seeing giant robots turning into stuff was always one of my dreams and this movie delivered them.

I’ll probably see it again in a week or two in english; The spanish dub, while at least not making them sound like pokemon, had very similar voices for all the autobots.

I hated this movie, and I suspect that it hated me too. I'm not even going to go into details about the myriad of problems I had with this movie, because it's really not worth it to me, but suffice to say that none of them are of the "OMG flames on teh Prime" variety. I'm just going to patiently wait here in the hopes that The Bourne Ultimatum will salvage the summer movie season.

Nope, the Bourne Ultimatum will have shacky cam syndrom just like in the 2nd one. JK LOL Transformers is like a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, expensive and bad for the head. But! In a good way. I look forward to seeing the Bourne Ultimatum, mostly because its probably the perfect way to rehabilitate my blockbuster battered brain.

Amen! I want a DYRL? live action when I saw that.

Sending F-22s for airstrikes was abit strange but that scene was cool for what its worth.

Careful what you wish for! We'll end up with can openers for valkryies and alot of bad teenage cliches. Originally I thought the same thing then I realized how Hollywood would modernize/butcherize it.

I wouldn't say that I "hated" TF, rather I was really underwhelmed by it. It was fun watching the autobots roll around together in groups as vehicles, but I guess I could go to a freeway and do that for free. Um, I feel odd asking this, but since we agree that the action was visually hard to follow, just how did

Megatron die/get shutdown, anyway? Like Jazz's death, I was like, "what?"

Edited by myk

I thought the movie was good. I took my son to see it yesterday with my friend and his kid (who apparently doesn't know how to control the volume of his voice, GRRRRRR!). Here are my gripes:

1. $14 for two small popcorns and two small drinks! WTFrack is up with that crap?

2. After sitting through roughly 30 minutes of previews and commercials (when did commercials show up at a theater?) the movie starts, and there's no sound until

halfway through the conversation that all of the soldiers are having about remembering weekends.

Jazz's anti-climactic death. It all seemed so unheroic and too fast.

That giant cube collapsing on itself to become the size of a small UPS box (and it looked like cardboard when Sam was carrying it).

The "nut-shot" from a human that took down a Decepticon (can't remember who it was) after being blasted a million times by the Autobots.

Speaking of the nut shot, that dude should have shredded his spine with how long he slid on the concrete after falling off the motorcycle.

7. As mentioned, every time a new TF popped up on the screen, my friend's kid would say "that's a Decepticon" or "that's an Autobot" in a rather loud voice.

Despite those minor flaws, I still enjoyed the movie and I think the writers did a good job of making it somewhat believable. I'm going to see it again with my wife next time.

Edited by Metal_Massacre_79

just how did

Remember when Prime said

"if I can't defeat Megatron, I want you to put the Allspark in my chest so I can sacrifice myself to end this war" or something like that? Well, instead of killing Prime with the power of the Allspark, Sam decided to kill Megatron with it by holding it up to Meg's chest.

Remember when Prime said

"if I can't defeat Megatron, I want you to put the Allspark in my chest so I can sacrifice myself to end this war" or something like that? Well, instead of killing Prime with the power of the Allspark, Sam decided to kill Megatron with it by holding it up to Meg's chest.

You know I thought it was "that" but I didn't want to believe it. Ok well, that's really, really stupid. Maybe I hate the movie after all...

post-1069-1183753517_thumb.jpg

It is really annoying trying to follow this thread. Why isn't posted in the tittle of this thread: "WARNING, SPOILERS INSIDE" All of this blacked out sentences are breaking my..... patience.

I saw the movie twice, and my opinion did not change much. It is a good, even a funny movie at times. There are minor problems which become bigger when you see it the second time around. Still I loved some of the scenes, and sort of detested the camera movements at times.

I guess it was a good try IMO.

***SPOILERS***

I tried to like it, limiting my expectations to it being a "fun popcorn movie", but still came away disappointed. There were certainly some good gags and decent material in there a few times. You could almost feel Spielberg's influence in a few early scenes...then it just veers into Michael Bay territory. Shia LaBouf did what he could, and I think he'll be great as Spielberg's new Wunderkind - right now he's being filmed as a 50's greaser in Indy 4, most likely as Indy's son.

While the girl was certainly smoking, smoking (smoking) hot, I think it would have been a better idea to stick with a more realistic girlfriend, someone just as awkward and real as Sam.

I can't quite put my finger on why I wasn't blown away by the robots in the film. Their dialogue came across somewhat hackneyed and silly to me, not to mention the action being too swift and blurry. The fight scenes seemed to be 80% robots tumbling around in a massive blurry ball and 20% posing on a dramatic precipace. I also didn't like the fact that they can INSTANTLY scan any object and transform instantaneously - making them instant shapeshifting aliens that can basically do anything they want rather than being limited to one alternate form. Why didn't the autobots also scan tanks and jets, or even scan the dead body of Devestator? Why not instantly shapeshift into a billboard or mailbox to hide from the enemy? Or simply into a giant gun? Why don't the decepticons just all scan Megatron or turn into a giant transforming hoover dam? Why can't BB repair his own voicebox or legs instantly?

The boom-box bot (Frenzy?) had WAY too much screen time and was certainly the Jar Jar Binks of the franchise. God how I hated that thing and its "comical" Gremlins-like chattering. Also, was Scorponok just a robot scorpion with no alternate form? Why so much time spent on a non-transforming scorpion robot? I would rather have seen more of Blackout, probably my favorite 'bot design from this movie.

Product placement was shameless, but such is the price of making big blockbuster movies I guess. Even Optimus participated in mentioning Ebay!

Some favorite parts, and hilarious, if nitpicking flaws:

1. Blackout is simply awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a special cgi team/project manager assigned to each bot, and this team did great. His plodding movement and transformation scheme came across as about the only inspired design.

2. Why does the Qatar Qrew get top secret Sector 7 access and take the lead on fighting the decepticons? Simply because they fought a robot scorpion unsuccessfully and figured out the Sabot rounds? And why set up for a showdown right in downtown LA?

3. Shia is a great actor, and carried this clunky movie.

4. If they made so much effort to preserve scale in transformation, why make the All-Spark able to shift size so easily? And isn't scale preservation out the window with instantly-shapeshifting?

5. Got to love the random background welding around frozen Megatron! I can almost see Michael Bay directing that scene..."Hey, this static image of Megatron in stasis is too boring, let's get more maintenance crews and welders in there!"

6. I think every Michael Bay movie requires a busy Pentagon war room. He should have kept focus on the experience of the everyman (sort of like a War of the Worlds perspective), rather than the cliche' military brass arguing about what to do in a bunker.

7. How did Sam know that shoving the Allspark into Megatron would kill him? Just because prime said it would kill himself?

8. AMAZING cgi work. Bring on the live-action Macross movie! I'm hoping more serious mecha films are explored by decent directors and talent.

All told, I was entertained to some degree. Seeing it with friends helped. Way too many flaws to elevate it beyond about a C+. An OK try, and certainly a better than usual effort by Michael Bay (which isn't saying much).

Edited by Majestic

It is really annoying trying to follow this thread. Why isn't posted in the tittle of this thread: "WARNING, SPOILERS INSIDE" All of this blacked out sentences are breaking my..... patience.

Because it originally did not have spoilers and was started almost 2 years ago.

The spoiler ban will be lifted Monday after which time, you are free to post without the spoiler tags. Until then, we are giving people enough time to go watch it. :)

Figured I'd post in this thread too---you can now buy Ironhide! (Or at least, a really, really close version of it)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=121589

Of course, "Golden Pearl" Camaros with black stripes are what people are REALLY going to want. From reading the Camaro forums, at least 2 or 3 guys have gotten the wife's approval for yellow 2009's upon seeing the movie---chicks dig Bumblebee. :)

Simple bright yellow is not going to do, if GM has a clue (and they often don't) they will offer the exact color used in the movie, or at least something very close.

"We lost a great comrade today. We'll all miss you, Blues." "His name was Jazz, Prime." "Whatever.")

HAHAHA! :lol:

Oh, and Megan Fox was waaay too hot for that role. High school junior my optronic sensors, she looked three times as old as Shia...
They're both the same age, 21.

Um, I feel odd asking this, but since we agree that the action was visually hard to follow, just how did

Did nobody pay attention to the TWO times Primed explained how he would sacrifice his life by putting the All Spark into his own spark?

All TFs have sparks, their lifeforce, and after Megatron got shot to poo by the Raptors, his chest was blasted open so Sam put 2 and 2 together and thrust the All Spark into his chest. The Allspark's power is such that it has the ability to destroy the essense of life, which is what a spark can be.

You know I thought it was "that" but I didn't want to believe it. Ok well, that's really, really stupid. Maybe I hate the movie after all...
Why is it stupid?

I also didn't like the fact that they can INSTANTLY scan any object and transform instantaneously - making them instant shapeshifting aliens that can basically do anything they want rather than being limited to one alternate form. Why didn't the autobots also scan tanks and jets, or even scan the dead body of Devestator? Why not instantly shapeshift into a billboard or mailbox to hide from the enemy? Or simply into a giant gun? Why don't the decepticons just all scan Megatron or turn into a giant transforming hoover dam? Why can't BB repair his own voicebox or legs instantly?

Their protoforms appeared to choose vehicle modes that were their approximate size already. While the movie takes it to a new level, TFs scanning and instantly adopting an alt mode has been around since Beast Wars. I guess if the movie bots can instantly change their alt modes, they only really bother when they need to or want to. If they like what they have, they won't.

The Autobots didn't become military vehicles because that's generally against the theme of Autobots - Autobots are overwealming civilian TFs, thus they become civilian vehicles. Some are soldiers, and some are military vehicles, but they're exceptions rather than the rule. Besides, its a way to differentiate them visually from the Decepticons. Having both sides be military vehicles is confusing.

Now you're getting silly. They change their forms, not their size, and don't magically regrow parts. Essentially their internal mechanics and functions stay the same, which is why Bumblebee doesn't magically grow a new voicebox and legs.

4. If they made so much effort to preserve scale in transformation, why make the All-Spark able to shift size so easily? And isn't scale preservation out the window with instantly-shapeshifting?

7. How did Sam know that shoving the Allspark into Megatron would kill him? Just because prime said it would kill himself?

Because the Allspark is a mysterious life-giving object from (probably) their God, even if they don't even know he exists. Same as the Creation Matrix (from which this is based upon), the Matrix of Leadership, the Omega Lock and Vector Sigma, it is just something you have to accept on face value. And their argument is that a mystical device doing something amazing such as mass-shifting is easier to deal with than several of the characters mass-shifting.

Yes. Because he told him where to put the Allspark, and since Megatron's chest was blasted open, he guessed it would do the same to the Decepticon.

Figured I'd post in this thread too---you can now buy Ironhide! (Or at least, a really, really close version of it)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=121589

Of course, "Golden Pearl" Camaros with black stripes are what people are REALLY going to want. From reading the Camaro forums, at least 2 or 3 guys have gotten the wife's approval for yellow 2009's upon seeing the movie---chicks dig Bumblebee. :)

Simple bright yellow is not going to do, if GM has a clue (and they often don't) they will offer the exact color used in the movie, or at least something very close.

I find it amusing that of the four GM Autobots in the movie, you can't actually buy three of them in the configuration seen in the movie. At least not yet.

ALL SPARK EFFECTS

Yes, I did pay attention to prime explaining it, but the delivery in that scene seemed rushed or out of place and based on assumption/taking a chance by Sam. Guess I'm being too picky here.

ECONOMY OF SCALE

Essentially their internal mechanics and functions stay the same, which is why Bumblebee doesn't magically grow a new voicebox and legs.

/\/\This statement seems at odds with Frenzy's(?) abilities in the movie, i.e., sprouting legs from his head and shrinking down to cellphone size.

Sidenote: How long til' those of us that weren't impressed are called "whiny fanboys"? (I appreciate the so-far-civil debate, however).

EDIT: Note that I enjoyed the film in a lot of ways, just wasn't blown away and feel it could have been executed much better...but that could probably be said for most films.

Edited by Majestic