What about the stormtrooper we see tossing the ewok. I laugh my ass off every time i see that. :lol:

Wait... I don't remember that scene! I'd have to look :lol:

Definitely the way he should have been portrayed in AOTC (at least up until the point of his mother's death) and ROTS up to the point of decision. Character was victimized by waaaaay too much foreshadowing.

Wonder how much the original cut of ROTS would have played (where the switch is supposedly quite sudden and Lucas said he felt far too abrupt).

The RotS book, without the limitations a movie production has to face, handled it far, far better. Anakin Skywalker's fall was much slower, much more believable.

I made the unfortunate choice to buy the book before the movie came out. The book handled it so nicely that the movie felt clumsy and abrupt.

Edited by Warmaker

The book for RoTS also stretched the narrative out over a much longer time, several months from how it read. The movie made it seem like it all took place within a few weeks at most. The book handled the fall much better as well, you see much more of the inner anguish and torment that Anakin went through, and can understand to a much greater degree why he eventually falls. It still wasn't enough to save the PT though, and really all it would have taken is a few little tweaks throughout it to make it so much better.

It still wasn't enough to save the PT though, and really all it would have taken is a few little tweaks throughout it to make it so much better.

By a few tweaks, you mean completely remove Jar Jar from the prequel trilogy and have Anakin starting as a young teen in the first movie, not as a young kid.

Graham

Hope we get to see more of the Commando battledroids. They were pretty cool.

Graham

I want to see more fleet battle, including the debut of the ARC fighter. I wonder if they will also show the Republic battlecruiser which was stated on ICS:RoTS.

I only like the TV series when there's a fleet battle on it and also people are actually dying in the series just like Exo Squad.

The book for RoTS also stretched the narrative out over a much longer time, several months from how it read. The movie made it seem like it all took place within a few weeks at most. The book handled the fall much better as well, you see much more of the inner anguish and torment that Anakin went through, and can understand to a much greater degree why he eventually falls. It still wasn't enough to save the PT though, and really all it would have taken is a few little tweaks throughout it to make it so much better.

It sounds like how the ROTJ novel did a bit of a better job at explaining Vaders inner conflict, but lets be honest, inner conflict is VERY hard to film in a subtle way.

Taksraven.

A sample from the RotS novel, and a key moment handled far better in the book.

**Starting off after the Council session where Anakin was admitted into it, but not granted Mastery**

Anakin was glad the vast vaulted Temple hallway was deserted save for him and Obi-Wan; he didn't have to keep his voice down.

"This is outrageous. How can they do this?"

"How can they not?" Obi-Wan countered. "It's your friendship with the Chancellor--- the same friendship that got you a seat at the Council--- that makes it impossible to grant you Mastery. In the Council's eyes, that would be the same as giving a vote to Palpatine himself!"

He waved this off. He didn't have time for the Council's political maneuvering---

Padme didn't have time. "I didn't ask for this. I don't need this. So if I wasn't friends with Palpatine I'd be a Master already, is that what you're saying?"

Obi-Wan looked pained. "I don't know."

"I have the power of any five Masters. Any ten. You know it, and so do they."

"Power alone is no credit to you---"

Anakin flung an arm back toward the Council Tower. "They're the ones who call me the chosen one! Chosen for what? To be a dupe in some slimy political game?"

Obi-Wan winced as if he'd been stung. "Didn't I warn you, Anakin? I told you of the... tension... between the Council and the Chancellor. I was very clear. Why didn't you listen? You walked right into it!"

"Like that ray shield trap." Anakin snorted. "Should I blame this on the dark side, too?"

"However it happened," Obi-Wan said, "you are in a very... delicate situation."

"What situation? Who cares about me? I'm no Master, I'm just a kid, right? Is that what it's about? Is Master Windu turning everyone against me because until I came along, he was the youngest Jedi ever named to the Council?"

"No one cares about that---"

"Sure they don't. Let me tell you something a smart old man said to me not so long ago: Age is no measure of wisdom. If it were, Yoda would be twenty times as wise as you are---"

"This has nothing to do with Master Yoda."

"That's right. It has to do with me. It has to do with them all being against me. They always have been--- most of them didn't even want me to be a Jedi. And if they'd won out, where would I be right now? Who would have done the things I've done? Who would have saved Naboo? Who would have saved Kamino? Who would have killed Dooku, and rescued the Chancellor? Who would have come for you and Alpha after Ventress---"

"Yes, Anakin, yes. Of course. No one questions your accomplishments. It's your relationship to Palpatine that is the problem. And it is a very serious problem."

"I'm too close to him? Maybe I am. Maybe I should alienate a man who's been nothing but kind and generous to me ever since I first came to this planet! Maybe I should reject the only man who gives me the respect I deserve---"

"Anakin, stop. Listen to yourself. Your thoughts are of jealousy, and pride. These are dark thoughts, Anakin. Dangerous thoughts, in these dark times--- you are focused on yourself when you need to focus on your service. Your outburst in the Council was an eloquent argument against granting you Mastery. How can you be a Jedi Master when you have not mastered yourself?"

Anakin passed his flesh hand over his eyes and drew a long, heavy breath. In a much lower, calmer, quieter tone, he said, "What do I have to do?"

Obi-Wan frowned. "I'm sorry?"

"They want something from me, don't they? That's what this is really about. That's what it's been about from the beginning. They won't give me my rank until I give them what they want."

"The Council does not operate that way, Anakin, and you know it."

Once you're a Master, as you deserve, how will they make you do their bidding?

"Yes, I know it. Sure I do," Anakin said. Suddenly he was tired. So incredibly tired. It hurt to talk. It hurt even to stand here. He was sick of the whole business. Why couldn't it just be over? "Tell me what they want."

Obi-Wan's eyes shifted, and the sick fatigue in Anakin's guts turned darker. How bad did it have to be to make Obi-Wan unable to look him in the eye?

"Anakin, look, I'm on your side," Obi-Wan said softly. He looked tired, too: he looked as tired and sick as Anakin felt. "I never wanted to see you put in this situation."

"What situation?"

Still Obi-Wan hesitated.

Anakin said, "Look, whatever it is, it's not getting any better while you're standing here working up the nerve to tell me. Come on, Obi-Wan. Let's have it."

Obi-Wan glanced around the empty hall as if he wanted to make sure they were still alone; Anakin had a feeling it was just an excuse to avoid facing him when he spoke.

"The Council," Obi-Wan said slowly, "approved your appointment because Palpatine trusts you. They want you to report on all his dealings. They have to know what he's up to."

"They want me to spy on the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic?" Anakin blinked numbly. No wonder Obi-Wan couldn't look him in the face. "Obi-Wan, that's treason!"

"We are at war, Anakin." Obi-Wan looked thoroughly miserable. "The Council is sworn to uphold the principles of the Republic through any means necessary. We have to. Especially when the greatest enemy of those principles seems to be the Chancellor himself!"

Anakin's eyes narrowed and turned hard. "Why didn't the Council give me this assignment while we were in session?"

"Because it's not for the record, Anakin. You must be able to understand why."

"What I understand," Anakin said grimly, "is that you are trying to turn me against Palpatine. You're trying to make me keep secrets from him--- you want to make me lie to him. That's what this is really about."

"It isn't," Obi-wan insisted. He looked wounded. "It's about keeping an eye on who he deals with, and who deals with him."

"He's not a bad man, Obi-Wan--- he's a great man, who's holding this Republic together with his bare hands---"

"By staying in office long after his term has expired. By gathering dictatorial powers---"

"The Senate demanded that he stay! They pushed those powers on him---"

"Don't be naive. The Senate is so intimidated they give him anything he wants!"

"Then it's their fault, not his! They should have the guts to stand up to him!"

"That is what we're asking you to do, Anakin."

Anakin had no answer. Silence fell between them like a hammer.

He shook his head and looked down at the fist he made with his mechanical hand.

Finally, he said, "He's my friend, Obi-Wan."

"Yes," Obi-Wan said softly. Sadly. "I know."

"If he asked me to spy on you, do you think I would do it?"

Now it was Obi-Wan's turn to fall silent.

"You know how kind he has been to me." Anakin's voice was hushed. "You know how he's looked after me, how he's done everything he could to help me. He's like family."

"The Jedi are your family---"

"No." Anakin turned on his former Master. "No, the Jedi are your family. The only one you've ever known. But i'm not like you--- I had a mother who loved me---"

And a wife who loves me, he thought. And soon a child who will love me, too.

"Do you remember my mother? Do you remember what happened to her---?"

--- because you didn't let me go to save her? he finished silently. And the same will happen to Padme, and the same will happen to our child.

Within him, the dragon's cold whisper chewed at his strength. All things die, Anakin Skywalker. Even stars burn out.

"Anakin, yes. Of course. You know how sorry I am for your mother. Listen: we're not asking you to act against Palpatine. We're only asking you to... monitor his activities. You must believe me."

Obi-Wan stepped closer and put a hand on Anakin's arm. With a long, slowly indrawn breath, he seemed to reach some difficult decision. "Palpatine himself may be in danger," he said. "This may be the only way you can help him."

"What are you talking about?"

"I am not supposed to be telling you this. Please do not reveal we have had this conversation. To anyone, do you understand?"

Anakin said, "I can keep a secret."

"All right." Obi-Wan took another deep breath. "Master Windu traced Darth Sidious to Five Hundred Republica before Grievous's attack--- we think that the Sith Lord is someone someone within Palpatine's closest circle of advisers. That is who we want you to spy on, do you understand?"

A fiction created by the Jedi Council... an excuse to harass their political enemies...

"If Palpatine is under the influence of a Sith Lord, he may be in the gravest danger. The only way we can help him is to find Sidious, and to stop him. What we are asking of you is not treason, Anakin--- it may be the only way to save the Republic!"

If this Darth Sidious of yours were to walk through that door right now... I would ask him to sit down, and I would ask him if he has any power he could use to end this war

"So all you're really asking," Anakin said slowly, "is for me to help the Council find Darth Sidious."

"Yes." Obi-Wan looked relieved, incredibly relieved, as though some horrible chronic pain had suddenly and inexplicably eased. "Yes, that's it exactly."

Locked within the furnace of his heart, Anakin whispered an echo--- not quite an echo--- slightly altered, just at the end: I would ask him to sit down, and I would ask him if he has any power he could use---

--- to save Padme.

They streaked through the capital's sky.

Obi-Wan stared past Yoda and Mace Windu, out through the gunship's window at the vast deployment platform and the swarm of clones who were loading the assault cruiser at the far end.

"You weren't there," he said. "You didn't see his face. I think we have done a terrible thing."

"We don't always have the right answer," Mace Windu said. "Sometimes there isn't a right answer."

"Know how important your friendship with young Anakin is to you, I do." Yoda, too, stared out toward the stark angles of the assault cruiser being loaded for the counterinvasion of Kashyyyk; he stood leaning on his gimer stick as though he did not trust his legs. "Allow such attachments to pass out of one's life, a Jedi must."

Another man--- even another Jedi--- might have resented the rebuke, but Obi-Wan only sighed. "I suppose--- he is the chosen one, after all. The prophecy says he was born to bring balance to the Force, but..."

The words trailed off. He couldn't remember what he'd been about to say. All he could remember was the look on Anakin's face.

"Yes. Always in motion, the future is." Yoda lifted his head and his eyes narrowed to his thoughtful slits. "And the prophecy, misread it could have been."

Mace looked even grimmer than usual. "Since the fall of Darth Bane more than a millennium ago, there have been hundreds of thousands of Jedi--- hundreds of thousand of Jedi feeding the light with each work of their hands, with each breath, with every beat of their hearts, bringing justice, building civil society, radiating peace, acting out of selfless love for all living things--- and in all these thousands of years, there have been only two Sith at any time. They merely use the darkness that is always there. That has always been there. Greed and jealousy, aggression and lust and fear--- these are all natural to sentient beings. The legacy of the jungle. Our inheritance from the dark."

"I'm sorry, Master Windu, but I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying--- to follow your metaphor--- that the Jedi have cast too much light? From what I have seen these past years, the galacy has not become all that bright a place."

"All I am saying is that we don't know. We don't even truly understand what it means to bring balance to the Force. We have no way of anticipating what this may involve."

"An infinite mystery is the Force," Yoda said softly. "The more we learn, the more we discover how much we do not know."

"So you both feel it, too," Obi-Wan said. The words hurt him. "You both can feel that we have turned some invisible corner."

"In motion, are the events of our time. Approach, this crisis does."

"Yes." Mace interlaced his fingers and squeezed until his knuckles popped. "But we're in a spice mine without a glow rod. If we stop walking, we'll never reach the light."

"And what if the light just isn't there?" Obi-Wan asked. "What if we get to the end of this tunnel and find only night?"

"Faith we must have. Trust in the will of the Force. What other choice is there?

Obi-Wan accepted this with a nod, but still when he thought of Anakin, dread began to curdle below his heart. "I should have argued more strongly in Council today."

"You think Skywalker won't be able to handle this?" Mace Windu said. "I thought you had more confidence in his abilities."

"I trust him with my life," Obi-Wan said simply. "And that is precisely the problem."

The other two Jedi Masters watched him silently while he tried to summon the proper words.

"For Anakin," Obi-Wan said at length, "there is nothing more important than friendship. He is the most loyal man I have ever met--- loyal beyond reason, in fact. Despite all I have tried to teach him about the sacrifices that are the heart of being a Jedi, he--- he will never, I think, truly understand."

He looked over at Yoda. "Master Yoda, you and I have been close since I was a boy. An infant. Yet if ending this war one week sooner--- one day sooner--- were to require that I sacrifice your life, you know I would."

"As you should," Yoda said. "As I would yours, young Obi-Wan. As any Jedi would any other, in the cause of peace."

"Any Jedi," Obi-Wan said, "except Anakin."

Yoda and Mace exchanged glances, both thoughtfully grim. Obi-Wan guessed they were remembering the times Anakin had violated orders--- the times he had put at risk entire operations, the lives of thousands, the control of whole planetary systems--- to save a friend.

More than once, in fact, to save Obi-Wan.

"I think," Obi-Wan said carefully, "that abstractions like peace don't mean much to him. He's loyal to people, not to principles. And he expects loyalty in return. He will stop at nothing to save me, for example, because he thinks I would do the same for him."

Mace and Yoda gazed at him steadily, and Obi-Wan had to lower his head.

"Because," he admitted reluctantly, "he knows I would do the same for him."

"Understand exactly where your concern lies, I do not." Yoda's green eyes had gone softly sympathetic. "Named must be your fear, before banish it you can. Do you fear that perform his task he cannot?"

"Oh, no. That's not it at all. I am firmly convinced that Anakin can do anything. Except betray a friend. What we have done to him today..."

"But that is what Jedi are," Mace Windu said. "That is what we have pledged ourselves to: selfless service---"

Obi-Wan turned to stare once more toward the assault ship that would carry Yoda and the clone battalions to Kashyyyk, but he could see only Anakin's face.

If he asked me to spy on you do you think I would do it?

"Yes," he said slowly. "That's why I don't think he will ever trust us again."

He found his eyes turning unaccountably hot, and his vision swam with unshed tears.

"And I'm not entirely sure he should."

You know if they put those two scenes in the movie Just as they were written there, I think it would have made the "fall" soooooo much better. Instead they were severly edited and much of Anakins feelings where just summed up with "IT's not FAIR!" Oh well. I think on screen it would have been maybe 5 minutes at most. Even Star Wars needs some dialog sceens and not constant battles and effects.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Hope we get to see more of the Commando battledroids. They were pretty cool.

Graham

Are you talking about the ones in the Clone Wars episode "Rookies" with the smaller heads and darker color? I thought they were really cool as well. There will be a figure of this type of battle droid coming out for 2009 IIRC.

Edited by sharky

The golden rules is that Books will always be superior to movie adaptations. :p

Or is it that book adaptations will always be superior to the original movies?

Personally, I really disliked the ROTS book. I couldn't stand Matthew Stover's writing style, it was a complete break from every other Star Wars novelization. I would have preferred if they got James Luceno to do it.

The golden rules is that Books will always be superior to movie adaptations. :p

There are some exceptions. The movie of Fight Club was more effective than the book in a lot of ways. The film of Catch-22 was not perfect but it did a great job complementing the book. (They did cut some good parts that were in the book, but if they hadn't we would have had a movie that was at least 6 hours long.)

People need to understand that ALL mediums have their limitations.

Taksraven

The problem with the prequel movies was that they always TALKED about how good Anakin was. But only very rarely did they ever show ACTIONS of him doing good deeds.

Honestly, a few tweeks and additional scenes here and there throughout the three prequels would have done a world of good to make Anakin a more sympathetic character and made his fall all the more gut-wrenching.

And to add one additional personal pet peeve, why the frak didn't they show Padme's necklace carving just once in AOTC?

This would be pretty boring on screen, though. About ten minutes of yakity-yak in a hallway.

It was just a couple points to bring Anakin's fall to be more believable. ANYTHING extra would have done wonders instead of the "all-of-the-sudden I'll join the Dark Side" Anakin of RotS. Afterall, Lucas' movie (actually, movies) pretty much glossed or skipped over any character development, went straight for action and effects. And the end result is... the Prequel movies.

It was just a couple points to bring Anakin's fall to be more believable. ANYTHING extra would have done wonders instead of the "all-of-the-sudden I'll join the Dark Side" Anakin of RotS. Afterall, Lucas' movie (actually, movies) pretty much glossed or skipped over any character development, went straight for action and effects. And the end result is... the Prequel movies.

Two words... Pod Racing. Three more... Ten year old.

Anakin should have never been A) a slave and B) a little kid. I always envisioned him having the same rise like Luke did in his teens, only making the wrong choices and falling to the dark side.

Wow, eps 9 and 10 were pretty dark and violent. Not sure if I'm gonna let my 4 1/2 year old watch ep 10, seeing how the

fish head Jedi

is killed by Grevious.

I probably wouldn't have let him watch ep 9 either, if I'd have known how the

traitor Senate Commando captain is killed

at the end. Not only was the death quite graphic, but I had a hard time explaining why one baddie is killing another baddie when they are both supposed to be on the same side.

May having to start vetting episodes, before letting him watch if this trend continues.

Graham

Wow, eps 9 and 10 were pretty dark and violent. Not sure if I'm gonna let my 4 1/2 year old watch ep 10, seeing how the

fish head Jedi

is killed by Grevious.

I probably wouldn't have let him watch ep 9 either, if I'd have known how the

traitor Senate Commando captain is killed

at the end. Not only was the death quite graphic, but I had a hard time explaining why one baddie is killing another baddie when they are both supposed to be on the same side.

May having to start vetting episodes, before letting him watch if this trend continues.

Graham

I remember when I was reeeaaaally young and I used to watch episodes of Battle of the Planets. Some of the extreme violence they left in but they did cut a lot out. And even at about 5 or 6 I was able to spot the censorship. Same goes for Star Blazers a few years later.

I'm not saying that you don't have the right to choose what your kid watches but I would probably prefer an "all or nothing" approach. Maybe its time for your 4 1/2 year old to stop watching the show altogether for now.

An idiot (not me) let my daughter watch Jurassic Park when she was WAY to young and it did cause her to have nightmares.

Some things can even effect adults. The other night I watched a documentary about Jim Jones and the Jonestown mass suicide. It was on really late and when it ended I had to go to bed with the screams of dying babies and children still echoing in my ears.

Taksraven

I've never tried to shield him from violence and always actually encouraged him to play with toy swords and guns. Heck we'll even be starting a father and son Thai boxing class in the new year.

But I'm just wondering if the new show is going over the limit for his age.

I'll probably continue to let him watch as he really enjoys the show and it doesn't seem to give him nightmares. I t would probably bother him more if I didn't let him watch any more.

Graham

There are two scenes that stand out to me in the Clone Wars. The time Grievous killed the salvage alien when he discovered R2 did not have his memory wiped. It was much in the same way as Ventress killed the Senate Commando traitor. i.e. being stabbed from the back with a light saber showing the light saber piercing all the way through his chest.

I agree that it is a bit graphic for the really young ones, and both times it was quite unexpected. IMO the live action movies were not this graphic. Even Darth Mauls death did not show Obi-wan actually penetrating/slicing Maul in half. IIRC most of the Jedi deaths were carefully edited and shot in a particular angle to be a bit more tasteful.

My daughter also had questions about those two scenes in The Clone Wars series. She wondered why they were killed if they are on the same side. I explained that when you get involved with bad people sometimes one can get hurt in the end, and part of the reason why they are bad is that you cannot trust them to be honest or fair. She seemed to understand that concept and I left it at that.

Part of me likes the fact that TCW is not watered down, and IMHO the series is more intense and less kiddiefied than Episodes I and II. I'll let these scenes slide as they seem to be isolated incidents and not the norm.

BTW, I liked that they featured a Mon Calamari Jedi. When I was researching Admiral Ackbar one time I learned that Mon Calamari people are regarded as fierce fighters that even rival Wookiees. I hope that they make a figure of a Mon Calamari Jedi and not just the standard warrior. I may just create my own by using the robe and light saber from another figure.

BTW, I liked that they featured a Mon Calamari Jedi. When I was researching Admiral Ackbar one time I learned that Mon Calamari people are regarded as fierce fighters that even rival Wookiees. I hope that they make a figure of a Mon Calamari Jedi and not just the standard warrior. I may just create my own by using the robe and light saber from another figure.

ack1.jpg

Had to get in first there.

Taksraven

Anybody know what's the reason for the long delay between episodes 10 and 11?

Episode 10 came out on December 12, but episode 11 is not scheduled to air until January 2, according to Wikipedia.

My son was really upset about not being able to see a new episode this week.

Graham

Episode 10 came out on December 12, but episode 11 is not scheduled to air until January 2, according to Wikipedia.

Graham

At least you guys are getting a chance to see it. No sign of it on Australian TV, probably be released on DVD here first.

Taksraven

According to Wikipedia: -

Graham

Yeah, take note of the timeslot. I can still whinge because the bastards never tried it in a different timeslot. 12pm Saturday is RAGE time. (If you live in Australia you should know what I mean)

Thanks for the heads up tho.....(Glares at the other Aussies here who let him down)

Taksraven

Graham

Shows in America (you remember that place right? ;) ) takes a couple weeks off to show holiday specials and the like. And I for one don't want to see How Jar Jar Saved Christmas. And that would be odd as baby Jesus didn't show up THAT long ago and certainly not in any other galaxy.

I say a Star Wars holiday special is long over-due. Who here remembers the original 1978 special .......

Are you kidding, I think its an experience that a lot of us are trying to forget!!!

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to see some yesterday. Meh.

I think that we need a SW series set AFTER ROTJ. I think that this whole prequel thing has been done to death. (10th anniversary of The Phantom Menace this year, and this is how far we have come?)

That, or a true prequel series set in the era when the Sith and Jedi were first at war.

Taksraven