Hang on, did Tarkin survive the destruction of the 1st death star?

No, he died with the first Death Star. I simply was pointing out that, in Return of the Jedi, Vader specifically said that he was sent to the Death Star II to get them "back on schedule." This suggests that he may have had a similar role in A New Hope: first making sure that it gets done on time, and also correcting the mistake of letting the plans slip to the rebels.

Also, got a question about the fighters....okay, so the clone troopers are using that thing that is starting to look like an X wing (with two less blasters and two extra wings) and y-wing looking bombers.....Eventually, when the repulic turns into the empire, imperial forces use tie fighters.....when is the transistion then, because the "rebels" end up using the X wings and Y wings.....I don't think tie fighter pilots fly with astromech droids either right?

FYI, you're talking about ARC-170 fighters (the x-wing +2) and the y-wing things I think are actually just called Y-wings.

The y-wings used by the rebels were usually portrayed as being older/obsolete ships that no one used anymore (except the rebels and small security forces that couldn't get anything else) because of newer, faster ships like TIES.

X-Wings were designed by a company just before that company was seized by the Empire. When that happened, the designers defected and gave the designs/prototypes to the Rebel Alliance (who presumably had more built). As a side note, the x-wings were the most advanced fighter ever made up to that point.

TIES have been made out to be a symbol of what the Empire stands for: they have minimal amenities and rely on quantity over quality. Unlike all the rebel fighters, TIES have no shields or hyperdrives, and the pilots have to wear fully air-tight suits with a personal oxygen supply. They're cheap, but easy to destroy compared to x-wings and y-wings (both of which have shields).

And no, TIES don't need astromechs because they don't have hyperdrives. The main reason why x/y-wings have them is for navigation through hyperspace.

PS: You may find this website helpful in the future: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

PPS: I'm not sure I ever realized quite how much "useless" Star Wars knowledge I had...I pretty much hit all the major points in the TIE/In article from memory alone.

Edited by jwasko

No, he died with the first Death Star. I simply was pointing out that, in Return of the Jedi, Vader specifically said that he was sent to the Death Star II to get them "back on schedule." This suggests that he may have had a similar role in A New Hope: first making sure that it gets done on time, and also correcting the mistake of letting the plans slip to the rebels.

FYI, you're talking about ARC-170 fighters (the x-wing +2) and the y-wing things I think are actually just called Y-wings.

The y-wings used by the rebels were usually portrayed as being older/obsolete ships that no one used anymore (except the rebels and small security forces that couldn't get anything else) because of newer, faster ships like TIES.

X-Wings were designed by a company just before that company was seized by the Empire. When that happened, the designers defected and gave the designs/prototypes to the Rebel Alliance (who presumably had more built). As a side note, the x-wings were the most advanced fighter ever made up to that point.

TIES have been made out to be a symbol of what the Empire stands for: they have minimal amenities and rely on quantity over quality. Unlike all the rebel fighters, TIES have no shields or hyperdrives, and the pilots have to wear fully air-tight suits with a personal oxygen supply. They're cheap, but easy to destroy compared to x-wings and y-wings (both of which have shields).

And no, TIES don't need astromechs because they don't have hyperdrives. The main reason why x/y-wings have them is for navigation through hyperspace.

PS: You may find this website helpful in the future: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

PPS: I'm not sure I ever realized quite how much "useless" Star Wars knowledge I had...I pretty much hit all the major points in the TIE/In article from memory alone.

Wow, that's some really cool $hit man, thanks! Yeah, I'll definitely check out that website, but thanks for the info anyway :)

I just finished watching season 3 and it definitely left me wanting more. I really, really dig this series....sadly to say, almost more than episodes 1,2, and 3 I think....well, I have to go back and watch the films again, but I think I may wait. There was a time I watched all the films back to back, over and over again, and maybe I got tired of it, so I was thinking I'll wait a while....maybe after season 4 is complete or maybe if Lucas ever gets that live-action TV series off the ground.

PS: It's never useless, that's why we're all here!

Edited by peter

Ah, gotta love talking to myself in this thread, but I'm really happy with the Clone Wars. There's so much character building in it. I started watching the movies again and I'm starting to see some of the jedi I recognize from CW, that had no speaking parts in the movies. Too bad, because I really got to like some of them in CW.

PPL are talking in the SW: Old Republic thread about the graphics in the trailers/cut scenes of the game, and it would have been really, really awesome if CW was done in those types of graphics. I know, there's no budget for it, but wow, would have been awesome to see Anikin, Snips and the others done with a bit more "realism".

Ah, gotta love talking to myself in this thread, but I'm really happy with the Clone Wars. There's so much character building in it. I started watching the movies again and I'm starting to see some of the jedi I recognize from CW, that had no speaking parts in the movies. Too bad, because I really got to like some of them in CW.

PPL are talking in the SW: Old Republic thread about the graphics in the trailers/cut scenes of the game, and it would have been really, really awesome if CW was done in those types of graphics. I know, there's no budget for it, but wow, would have been awesome to see Anikin, Snips and the others done with a bit more "realism".

You still haven't watched the mini-seires have you? The character designs in the series continue on from its 2D counterpart.

You still haven't watched the mini-seires have you? The character designs in the series continue on from its 2D counterpart.

Hey Keith, haha, no I haven't....I really liked CW, so I'm worried I won't like the animated version.......but okay, I've got an open mind about it so I''ll give it a try.

Anikin seems really winy in AOTC, and seems to have matured in CW....then in ROTS, the acting seems so artificial at times. I mean, there were moments where the converstaion seemed pretty genuine - liked that scene where he thinks Obi-Wan is about to rag on R2, and Anikin defends R2, but there were so many scenes where he just seems so out of character. I like the CW version of Anikin better I guess.

Edited by peter

Just a few reasons to watch the first CW miniseries:

-It shows how Dooku found Ventress

-Crazy Kit Fisto underwater fight

-It shows when 3PO got his gold plating

-Make your own lightsaber planet

-It shows Anakin's field promotion from Padowan to Knight

Amongst many other things. A nice bit I liked was

A dream sequence where Qui Gon took young Anakin to a similar tree test as the one Luke took.

Something has confused me regarding Grievous in the mini-series vs the current series

It's been a while since I've seen the mini-series. But if I remember correctly, Grievous didn't have his cough until after he was "force crushed" by Mace in the mini-series after kidnapping Palpatine. Which happened right before Revenge of the Sith took place. Now in the current series, Grievous coughs, but he has not kidnapped Palpatine yet.

Something has confused me regarding Grievous in the mini-series vs the current series

It's been a while since I've seen the mini-series. But if I remember correctly, Grievous didn't have his cough until after he was "force crushed" by Mace in the mini-series after kidnapping Palpatine. Which happened right before Revenge of the Sith took place. Now in the current series, Grievous coughs, but he has not kidnapped Palpatine yet.

Seems to happen in general whenever he takes too much punishment, but it's nowhere near the level that he's at in the last bit of the miniseries.

Woah, so the animated mini-series takes events right up to ROTS? So, the CGI series sort of overlaps? Well, I'll see for myself I guess...going to try to watch it this weekend....thanks for talking to me guys! It was getting a little lonely all by myself in this thread, haha!

Yes, the original CW series is pretty much "highlights and miscellaneous stuff" from right after Ep 2 to 30 secs before Ep 3.

The current CG series expands on that with much longer arcs, showing other events, and is more chronological.

I asked this earlier but no one answered...Wouldn't a lightsaber heat up the water and create bubbles around the blade??

I think it would, but then again, I also think the electricity generated (if there is electricity generated) from a lightsaber should electricute the user, haha!

I asked this earlier but no one answered...Wouldn't a lightsaber heat up the water and create bubbles around the blade??

Try searching on that...and good luck! :p

Here's a thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/archive/index.php/t-117085.html

But pretty much they say the blade emits energy not heat and so on.....they can be adapted to underwater use....a deleted scene in EP I about Obi-Wan's shorting out.....

You can then expand the discussion to blasters under water, I guess.....but these are probably better-suited for the technology thread. Sorry, man.

Back to the series and another question........

At that rate of speed, you'd think they would skip across the water for a few hundred meters after jumping!

THAT would make a great BD Easter Egg Scene! :lol:

Try searching on that...and good luck! :p

Here's a thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/archive/index.php/t-117085.html

But pretty much they say the blade emits energy not heat and so on.....they can be adapted to underwater use....a deleted scene in EP I about Obi-Wan's shorting out.....

You can then expand the discussion to blasters under water, I guess.....but these are probably better-suited for the technology thread. Sorry, man.

Back to the series and another question........

At that rate of speed, you'd think they would skip across the water for a few hundred meters after jumping!

THAT would make a great BD Easter Egg Scene! :lol:

WTF?!?! They don't emit heat?? Are you kidding??? They cause metal to heat up right? Because whenever they use them to slice open a blast door or cut a droid in half, the metal is molten red....also, wouldn't it take heat to cauterize wounds (no blood....oh, except in episode IV, Mos Eisley Bar where Obi-Wan lops off the dudes arm...little blood there). OK, so, they emit some sort of energy, but not heat......if they have that kind of effect on metal, what kind of crazy effect would it have on water? Or a vat of gunpodwer? If I was HAL9000, I'd run amok and kill my entire crew right now.

You're right, this should be in the Technology thread. Damn you George Lucas (or whoever came up with the tech stuff for lightsabers). :D

They did in the original/animated CW series:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=clone+wars+microseries+kit+fisto&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbnid=F1eAGBM-I1emJM:&imgrefurl=http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php%253Fname%253DJReviews%2526rop%253Dshowcontent%2526id%253D721&docid=julRC5gX_ma4kM&w=450&h=253&ei=ZTEqTpapLMP00gGMu4DhCg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=556&page=1&tbnh=100&tbnw=178&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0&tx=77&ty=35&biw=1276&bih=580

Concerning that series in general: I think a lot of the "episodes" are more atmospheric than the new Clone War series. The new clone Wars is most often inspired by modern (war) films, including the flawed hero, the not-so-bad bad guys, and the involvement of (corrupt) politicians. The original...well, it was created by Tartakovsky (of Samurai Jack fame). I can't really think of anything else to compare it to.

There's a lot less yelling and more quiet efficiency on the part of clones and droids, while the Jedi are portrayed as one-man armies. There's not enough time for character development -- I think the whole series is maybe 2 hours long -- but some of the fight scenes are pretty epic (see: Jedi = one man army).

I've heard complaints about the uber-powers of certain Jedi in the original series, but, personally, I liked that aspect. It's definitely one of the most Samurai Jack-esque aspects of the series.

Edited by jwasko

Anyone else catch the Lego star wars "The Padawan Menace" special that aired tonight a 7pm on cartoon network? It was hilarious and very well done. If you missed it look for a repeat showing you won't be sorry.

Chris

They did in the original/animated CW series:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=clone+wars+microseries+kit+fisto&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbnid=F1eAGBM-I1emJM:&imgrefurl=http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php%253Fname%253DJReviews%2526rop%253Dshowcontent%2526id%253D721&docid=julRC5gX_ma4kM&w=450&h=253&ei=ZTEqTpapLMP00gGMu4DhCg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=556&page=1&tbnh=100&tbnw=178&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0&tx=77&ty=35&biw=1276&bih=580

Concerning that series in general: I think a lot of the "episodes" are more atmospheric than the new Clone War series. The new clone Wars is most often inspired by modern (war) films, including the flawed hero, the not-so-bad bad guys, and the involvement of (corrupt) politicians. The original...well, it was created by Tartakovsky (of Samurai Jack fame). I can't really think of anything else to compare it to.

There's a lot less yelling and more quiet efficiency on the part of clones and droids, while the Jedi are portrayed as one-man armies. There's not enough time for character development -- I think the whole series is maybe 2 hours long -- but some of the fight scenes are pretty epic (see: Jedi = one man army).

I've heard complaints about the uber-powers of certain Jedi in the original series, but, personally, I liked that aspect. It's definitely one of the most Samurai Jack-esque aspects of the series.

Yup, just started watching the animated series and water does bubble around the lightsaber, and when rain hits it, it also sizzles. Agree with you about the one man army thing...the clones are just as much cannon fodder as the droids.

Edited by peter

Just finished watching season 3,loved it!

Ahsoka is looking HOT all grown up and with her new Jedi outfit!!

I,ve always wanted to be intimate with an alien,closest thing would be to date a girl in Ahsoka cosplay :rolleyes:

Just finished watching season 3,loved it!

Ahsoka is looking HOT all grown up and with her new Jedi outfit!!

I,ve always wanted to be intimate with an alien,closest thing would be to date a girl in Ahsoka cosplay :rolleyes:

You're getting into a whole new realm of weird when you make statements like that....next thing you know, you'll start hearing whispers behind your back about furries, haha!

Ahsoka is kind of JB right now, but I can imagine she has some potential to be hot when she's older:

AhsokaSlave.jpg

[/img]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs51/i/2009/303/1/c/Ahsoka_likes_Padmes_Boobies_by_ElTheGeneral.jpg[/img]

Anyone else catch the Lego star wars "The Padawan Menace" special that aired tonight a 7pm on cartoon network? It was hilarious and very well done. If you missed it look for a repeat showing you won't be sorry.

Chris

Man, that was freakin' hilarious!! My kids and I watched it about 3 times!!

Ooooo I thought she was 22-23 in season 3..whoops :blink:

Is Ahsoka in the SW mini series?

does she die before ROTS?

Nope, not in the miniseries, and at the rate she's going, she'll be deader than Data in Nemesis, with just as telegraphed a death.

Is her death confirmed , or maybe she goes missing in action?

Love to get her lightsaber, a awesome cross between Anikin/Luke(ANH, ESB)and ROTJ.

Is her death confirmed , or maybe she goes missing in action?

Love to get her lightsaber, a awesome cross between Anikin/Luke(ANH, ESB)and ROTJ.

It's not confirmed, but considering she tries to "sacrifice" herself at least once a season, things aren't looking in her favor.

Glad someone else saw it. My kids an I have also watched it several times! I'd love to see more of these specials.

Chris

Yay! More CW stuff to watch. I just finished watching the animated miniseries and though I liked many aspects of the story, I was not a big fan of the animation style. Just wasn't my cup of tea I guess.

Call me weird though, but I do like Lego Star Wars, haha!

Man, I am in full Star Wars mode right now. Just finished watching the animated miniseries, rewatched the Clone Wars up to season 3, and started watching the films again. I'm on Ep III, Revenge of the Sith and I think Anikin's a bit of a bone head.

His whole premise on turning to the dark side is so flawed....it's like he bought a used car and it turned out to be a lemon and here's why I think why.

His curiousity about the dark side stems from Palpatine's claim that the dark side holds powers such as preventing death. When he walks in on the duel between Palpatine and Windu, he tries to stop Windu from killing Palpatine (which still puzzles me because the weakened Palpatine could have been arrested at this point....threatening to kill him at that point was just a waste of words and potentially set off Anikin, who's urging him it's not the Jedi Way). Anyway, Anikin stops the execution, and Palpatine kills Windu.

Anikin wines "What have I done?" and the sales man says "Buy the car". Aniknin says, "I'll pay anything you want," and agrees to buy the used car (joins the dark side), then asks the salesman to make sure the car starts. The used car salesman (Paltatine -who is not a mechanic)) states to start the car is a skill that he's only seen in one mechanic at the dealership, but perhaps him and Anikin can figure it out eventually if they work together.

WTF? So, his actions, were still technically legal since Windu was doing something illegal (he should have continued his arrest effort instead of executing the suspect)and Anikin was just trying to prevent an illegal act. At this point, when Palpatine makes a statement basically saying he doesn't really know how to prevent death, he could have/should have gotten out of buying that lemon.....Crap, I'm overthinking this way too much....it's what happens when you're sleep deprived and imposing a Star Wars marathon on yourself......

You're taking it out of the bigger context. Anakin from the get go has been a fairly selfish person. The Jedi order (in general) tries to keep a big picture perspective, while Anakin keeps an "Anakin" perspective. Just about everything he does is based around his own impulsiveness. "Hey pod racing is cool, and I really want to stick it to Subulba I'm gonna race." "Padme went pedo for me once, and even though it's not allowed, I totally want to hit that, I'm gonna go stalk her."And once the sand people raped his mom, hel went and slaughtered a whole village. A justified response? Maybe, but not for a Jedi. Through out the clone wars series, you can see that he takes more of an ends justified the means, and results are the important thing kind of attitude.

Then we get back to episode III, and some interesting things happen. Not only does he suspect that the Jedi are wary of him, he's got full comfirmation. Palpatine all but says "hey, I'm a Sith, and I can make it so your paranoia of your girlfriend dying completely disappears." Let's take another step back a little though. Anakin very likely knew he didn't have a father. He very likely was aware of why Qui Gon thought he was "the chosen one." And once Palpatine tells him that Plagueis had the ability to control midichlorians, he had to have some idea of where he really came from. And if not? Some type of natural or force intuition would tug him towards knowing there was a connection between he & Palpatine.

So now what happens, Mace Windu rolls up and says "we're ending this sh!t now" and gets ready to off Sidius. Not only would that ruin his chance at attaining the power of his dreams, but leaves the question of just what the Jedi will do with a slightly tainted jedi once their bigger threat was gone. I see his act being one of a percieved self preservation, the ends again justifying the means. So yeah,. he helps Palpatine kill Windu, and now what? He's officially an enemy of the Jedi. Whether that's rationally true or not, it would be how he saw things. So yeah, he's going to accept Palpatine's pact, at that point there's no real choice, espeically seeing first hand that he's outclassed by Palpatine.

After that, I chalk up his actions to a darkside enduced roid rage. Now he's got that raw darkside energy flowing through him, and it influences his judgement. Younglings? Hell, they're just Jedi in training, and as such a threat to him. Padme working with Obi Wan? Now she's betrayed him, choke that bitch. Yeah Lucas isn't great at getting believable emotions from his actors, but the progressive setup for Anakin's mentality is still there.

Edited by Keith