Anime Boston 2005 (April 29-May 1)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm thinking of going. It's fifty bucks for three days.

This will be the first ever convention I've ever attended. What exactly goes on at a convention? Do you get to buy toys? Or are there only samples, nothing in stock en masse?

Well, a lot of stuff goes on at a convention. I'll start by talking about the stuff that doesn't cost extra on top of the $50 you shelled out to get in. :)

First of all, there will be a lot of discussion panels. Otakon for at least the past couple years has had one dedicated to Macross with quite a few people from here running it (and yours truly as the staffer in charge of keeping it running smoothly, heh). I don't know of any Macross discussion panels going on at Anime Boston this year, however, but you might find panels on other things you find interesting. Some of these panels are also Q&A sessions with voice actors or other people in the industry.

Second, there will be various entertainment venus. Game shows, music video contests, the masquerade, a dance, etc. There will also be quite a few video rooms where you can check out all sorts of anime -- some brand new and some classic.

Third, there will be lots of opportunity for people watching (look out for tons of cosplayers). People watching has always been one of my favorite things to do at a con.

Finally, we get to the dealer room. Generally, the dealers all have a pretty decent stock (although I'm not sure if it's quite enough to count as "en masse"). The prices may not always be the best, but you never know if you find hidden treasure that some dealer doesn't understand he possesses -- I've heard stories of people finding very rare art books and the like that go for a couple hundred bucks on eBay and such and managing to pick them up really cheap.

Hope this answers some of your questions!

- Lou

You can find the Dealer's list here

http://www.animeboston.com/dealers/map.shtml

Argh!! you're so lucky!! I want to go just to see Yoko (I'm a big fan of hers)

Blessed with an endearing, expressive singer's voice and a dynamic range, Yoko was selected as the featured vocalist on Geneon Japan's Para Para Max CD series. From there, she emerged as one of the anime industrys' most prolific and outstanding female singers, performing the memorable theme songs to series such as Pretear, A Little Snow Fairy Sugar, Ai Yori Aoshi, Petite Princess Yucie, Gunparade March, Ai Yori Aoshi~Enishi~ and Texhnolyze. Yoko's first solo album, "sweets," was unveiled in 2003, and had the unique distinction of being released both in Japan and the U.S. that same year to anime fans.

post-22-1113890067.jpg

Crap!!!!

I totally forgot about Anime Boston!!!!!!!

I think I have a final to study for, but I'd like to check it out.

Who else aside from myself and Lou are in the Boston area?

Lou, let me know when you are attending, perchance we can meet up.

Hey,

I'm going again this year, and as with last year I'll be running the Mecha Modeling Workshop, so if anybody wants to learn a bit about building and painting models, come to the workshop and build something! It's scheduled on Saturday from 4-9. Usually it's done with Gundam kits, but I'm thinking of bringing some Nichimo Macross kits this time to mix it up a bit. It's $15 to participate in the workshop, that pays for your model kit, and various tools and supplies you can take home with you (brushes, paints, etc.) You can see more information on past workshops here:

Mecha Modeling Workshop page

(Incidentally, for those who were there last year, I ran the Macross panel... it was a real disgrace. I should have called it off as soon as it was clear I couldn't spend the time on it that it deserved. Most of my preparation time last year went into the workshop. All the other panels and such that I did were just disastrous. I won't make that mistake again!)

• 2 weeks later...
Crap!!!!

I totally forgot about Anime Boston!!!!!!!

I think I have a final to study for, but I'd like to check it out.

Who else aside from myself and Lou are in the Boston area?

Lou, let me know when you are attending, perchance we can meet up.

Crap... I didn't see this message until after the Con (I don't know why... I did have the notify on reply thing checked off :( ).

Sorry. :(

There were three Robotech panels and not one Macross panel. That's just sad. (But not nearly as sad as my Macross panel last year...)

Not Macross-related, but I ran the Mecha Modeling Workshop on Saturday and it was a great success! Thirty-two people, the biggest turnout ever for the event. It was very hectic, especially since AB staff dropped the ball and didn't have my projector there, meaning there were no visual aids for the instructions.