Newbie Questions on Macross

That's what MAKES her great! Everyone sings about how crappy the world is, but only Sharon was willing to do something about it!

Seriously, while I'm as surprised as you that the resurrection went mainstream, I would be very unsurprised to hear she still had a cult following(in more ways than one).

Well... maybe it was Myung who did the remake. and she was singing it while sitting on Isamu's lap on the cockpit of a vf-19, dressed in minmei attire. in the macross7 charts, i see how that could be popular. :)

thanks for the answers. personally, whatever the reason the producers had (be it for convenience or for fan service), i love the fact that songs from old series are used. while each macross series uses mostly different characters, the use of old songs gives a certain level of continuity between series. it's like a subtle statement that, "yes, those things did happen in another planet/fleet".

i would like to think that they were active fan service. after all, i'm thinking that the producers would have to pay royalties for the use of KY's songs again for macross 7. i don't know about the laws in japan, but in general practice, i believe it's "pay-for-each use". maybe, i'm just giving nue/kawamori too much credit, but what the heck, i'm glad either way. :)

I wonder if they just covered up some of the more specific details of the incident. Say that it was accidental, or better yet, blame it on the now deceased Marje and say that Myung was the real talent behind Sharon's singing all this time.

I wonder if they just covered up some of the more specific details of the incident. Say that it was accidental, or better yet, blame it on the now deceased Marje and say that Myung was the real talent behind Sharon's singing all this time.

But...why is that a cover-up? Isn't it just the truth...?

But...why is that a cover-up? Isn't it just the truth...?

I meant hide the fact that the Macross was hacked by a rogue AI and in fact deny that it was a rogue AI at all, say it was just Marje's doing and that Myung was Sharon all along.

I meant hide the fact that the Macross was hacked by a rogue AI and in fact deny that it was a rogue AI at all, say it was just Marje's doing and that Myung was Sharon all along.

Ah...that makes perfect sense now.

And since this is the newbie questin thread, I've got one...noting that max and Marje have the same voice actor, and the characters look somewhat similar (except the hair color), I wonder...is Marje a clone of Max...? :ph34r:

Ah...that makes perfect sense now.

And since this is the newbie questin thread, I've got one...noting that max and Marje have the same voice actor, and the characters look somewhat similar (except the hair color), I wonder...is Marje a clone of Max...? :ph34r:

haha, very interesting. you know, i would think that at one point they would have included max's dna into the gene pool, so having some his clones walking around earth or the other fleets wouldn't be impossible, but i find it hard to believe that they would assign any clone of the great max jenius into any profession other than a valkyrie pilot. :)

haha, very interesting. you know, i would think that at one point they would have included max's dna into the gene pool, so having some his clones walking around earth or the other fleets wouldn't be impossible, but i find it hard to believe that they would assign any clone of the great max jenius into any profession other than a valkyrie pilot. :)

The womanizing genes in him led him to something else. After all, a job in the music industry must get him access to alot of tail.

The womanizing genes in him led him to something else. After all, a job in the music industry must get him access to alot of tail.

Generally, yeah...but I think managing a virtuoid idol is probably not the best route to take if that's your goal...Still, the guy was certifiably crazy, so anything's possible. ^_^

Would make sense.

Especially given that UNS was an accessory.

They knew what was going on, and that it was illegal and dangerous.

Rather than passing the information along to the proper authorities, they ripped him off and then sabotaged Project Super Nova to make their dangerous and illegal drone fighter look like the only clear choice for a next-gen fighter.

Can someone remind me why Macross' original name "Macbeth" was dropped?

I was just explaining a little bit of the history of Mac to a friend and I just remembered that.

Can someone remind me why Macross' original name "Macbeth" was dropped?

I was just explaining a little bit of the history of Mac to a friend and I just remembered that.

I once read that Macbeth sounds like Macross in a japanese accent. Dunno if thats true or not, though.

But, thank god they changed it. I dont think it wouldve lasted with a name like that.

I once read that Macbeth sounds like Macross in a japanese accent. Dunno if thats true or not, though.

But, thank god they changed it. I dont think it wouldve lasted with a name like that.

Only if you change the "RO" for "BE" .

MAC-U-BE-SU/MAC-U-RO-SU

Hikaru plotting to kill Captain Global after being told by that he would ascend to be captain by a trio of cloaked bridge-bunnies?

OH, the missed opportunities.

AFAIK, they originally wanted to call it Megaroad, but one of the producers was a big Shakespear fan and wanted it called Macbeth, Macross was the compromise they stuck with.

AFAIK, they originally wanted to call it Megaroad, but one of the producers was a big Shakespear fan and wanted it called Macbeth, Macross was the compromise they stuck with.

yup, this is also what i know. and thank god for that. it would have been irritating listening to the opening song sing out "Me-ga-load, me-ga-load... Meeee-gaload!" :p

On a side note, you'd have to wonder, if one of the producers was indeed a shakespeare fan, why in god's name would he even suggest Macbeth? try as i might, i just can't find anything in macbeth that would have any similarity to the theme of macross. couldn't he at least have suggested something like... the Tempest? at least that concerns being trapped in an island, and has some romance elements in it. :p

and then the title of SFDM would have been Super Tempest Fortress Megaroad. :)

Edited by dreamweaver13

yup, this is also what i know. and thank god for that. it would have been irritating listening to the opening song sing out "Me-ga-load, me-ga-load... Meeee-gaload!" :p

On a side note, you'd have to wonder, if one of the producers was indeed a shakespeare fan, why in god's name would he even suggest Macbeth? try as i might, i just can't find anything in macbeth that would have any similarity to the theme of macross. couldn't he at least have suggested something like... the Tempest? at least that concerns being trapped in an island, and has some romance elements in it. :p

and then the title of SFDM would have been Super Tempest Fortress Megaroad. :)

Plus there's the fact that it's INCREDIBLY bad luck to use the name "Macbeth" on anything remotely resembling a stage...and somehow, "Super Dimension Fortress The Scottish Play" has even less of a ring to it...

But hey, at least the producer didn't insist it be called "The Merry Wives of Windsor"...

Plus there's the fact that it's INCREDIBLY bad luck to use the name "Macbeth" on anything remotely resembling a stage...and somehow, "Super Dimension Fortress The Scottish Play" has even less of a ring to it...

But hey, at least the producer didn't insist it be called "The Merry Wives of Windsor"...

:D or the Merry Bunnies of Global. or the Merry Meltran of Maximilian. :p

By the way, I want to know how the ECA works to strengthen the armor of valks.

From the Compendium

STRUCTURE: Space metal materials are used for the composition of the fuselage's frame, but titanium/carbon composite is used for the outer skin. Due to AWAG/RA 105 SWAG energy converting armor which uses Overtechnology, the VF-0 can employ surplus power to triple the Fighter mode's armor strength in Battroid mode. (Future variable fighters will incorporate similar technology.)

So I think the surplus power (electricity?) is used to strengthen the armor material (eg: making it more dense).

From the Compendium

So I think the surplus power (electricity?) is used to strengthen the armor material (eg: making it more dense).

Thanks a lot for the explanation. :rolleyes:

Does that mean that only in battroid form can the ECA be utilized?

tankf77: Well, it's a debatable topic. Well it's known that VF-0 and VF-1 can use only use ECA in Battroid mode, there is not official information for the rest of variable fighters. BTW, there's a topic discussing the ECA itself, you might interest to check it out:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=24329

EDIT: Nay, even the nature of ECA in VF-1 is disputed. See the below link for more info.

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...4673&st=860

Edited by Sulendil Ang

I imagine the ECA strengthens the armor similarly to come armor concepts for human soldiers in the future, where the armor itself is light weight and flexible but when hit by a bullet the molecules realign and make it hard as metal. Current research is just looking into this I don't believe there are any prototypes in existance (unless they are secret). I once saw something where a scientist was showing a material they made that has the consistency of pudding or yogurt, but when a magnetic field was applied it got thicker and had the consistency of peanut butter. So I see the ECA as doing this, that surplus power is probably making the armor more dense and harder to be penetrated.

Sorry to throw off the thread but I have a big newb question, I have always wondered why the vf-1a/d/j/s could fly in space with minimal vernier thrusters? I know that Roy said that with thermonuclear turbine engines you could fly anywhere but that just doesn't make sense to me, somebody explain it to me or just tell me its anime magic....yet again.

Edited by LordDremen

Sorry to throw off the thread but I have a big newb question, I have always wondered why the vf-1a/d/j/s could fly in space with minimal vernier thrusters? I know that Roy said that with thermonuclear turbine engines you could fly anywhere but that just doesn't make sense to me, somebody explain it to me or just tell me its anime magic....yet again.

I once gave an explanation on how Thermonuclear reaction engines would work in theory, but it was pretty lengthy, also the compendium has its own explanation which indicates more than just nuclear fusion is going on in the engines. Basically from what I have to go on, the nuclear engines use nuclear fusion (most likely a form of fusion rather than fission, safer and better energy, it is the 'future' after all) to heat up an inert gas into a plasma form to create thrust. In atmosphere, the gas being heated up is just the air collected in the engine from the intakes, but it space the valkyrie uses a supply of an on board gas, most likely hydrogen. This is the same concept for future nuclear rockets that may be used to go to Mars, with nuclear reactors heating up hydrogen to plasma which becomes the exhaust. Vernier Thrusters are just smaller versions of the Reaction Control System thrusters (or RCS thrusters for short), what the fighter uses to turn and control its attitude in space, whereas in an atmosphere is using it's wings and stabilizers to manipulate air flow across them to turn. Since there is no air in space it turns with RCS and vernier thrusters, but the main propulsion is always from the Thermonuclear reaction engines, its just a difference of where the gas being heated is coming from.

Edited by Master Dex

Ok, another newbie question here.

In the TV series, we saw that VF-1D got over 50 handles/knob/button/lever to control it, and when we got to DYRL and Mac Plus, we can only a control stick and the throttle stick. Now the question is, how do you cramped all those lever/button/handles into two sticks and two paddles? :ph34r:

In the TV series, we saw that VF-1D got over 50 handles/knob/button/lever to control it, and when we got to DYRL and Mac Plus, we can only a control stick and the throttle stick. Now the question is, how do you cramped all those lever/button/handles into two sticks and two paddles? :ph34r:

Um...you get rid of all the little manipulator hands that come out of the battroid's arms...?

I'd bet that part of it was just overloading.

As an example:

The original cockpit had three sticks and a throttle.

The center stick and throttle were for fighter and GERWALK mode, the side sticks were for battroid mode.

The DYRL cockpit has a throttle and stick. The throttle changes into the second stick for battroid mode.

The DYRL throttle ALSO removes the need for dedicated F/G/B mode switches.

(it's probably best not to ask about how you work the arms in GERWALK mode for either cockpit).

Beyond that...

Advances in technology could make many of the toggles and such irrelevant.

Others probably exist, but aren't readily apparent.

For example, if they were reduced to regions on a touchscreen(which I think would be a bad idea, but it's a popular solution in sci-fi as well as IRL for consumer products), they wouldn't be visible unless they were being explicitly illustrated.

The emergency over-ride on the YF-21 also wasn't visible until attention was focused on it, despite being relatively huge.

Actually Morpheus, I think the "over 50 handles/knob/button/lever" sentence is an overstatement, as the cockpit itself don't seem to be as many handles/knob/button/lever as you think (to be precise, it's 3 handles+1 throttle, and an unknown amount of knob/button, but that's just because I'm lazy to count :p)

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/sdfmacross/vf-...itexterior2.gif

Compare it to the cockpit of the Block-6 VF-1:

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/macrossdyrl/vf...pitcontrols.gif

For the more precise info about those pesky controls in Block-6 VF-1 and future VF, I think JBO explains it quite well. And yeah, the arms movements are a mystery and very hard to figure it out, but I think you can see how this topic go, as this topic also dealing with the same question you asked. :)

Edited by Sulendil Ang

One bit I noticed though, the VF-0 uses a DYRL style side-stick and not the central stick and seems to lack the B-G-F transformation switches seen in the VF-1.

Well, I also notice that too, d3v. Seeing the nature of the VF-0 as the experimental plane, maybe VF-0 also wish to test the Block-6 cockpit to see if it's usable and more effective than the older cockpits (aka TV version cockpit) in real combat.

Well, I also notice that too, d3v. Seeing the nature of the VF-0 as the experimental plane, maybe VF-0 also wish to test the Block-6 cockpit to see if it's usable and more effective than the older cockpits (aka TV version cockpit) in real combat.

I dunno, I always thought that the Block 6 mas something developed later on after Space War I.