Newbie Questions on Macross

From the Macross Compendium:

Fallacy: "Kaifun is Minmay's brother."

Explanation: Kaifun is Minmay's cousin (with no blood relations between them). Minmay says Kaifun is a "cousin who is like a brother" to her in his debut during the first series.

Source of fallacy: Assumption based on Minmay's name for Kaifun ("Kaifun-niichan"), an affectionate name for a brotherly figure.

N00bish question here but for the life of me (or lack of one) I cannot locate the French Macross timeline information that described the dissolution of UNS into NUNS.

I've recently downloaded the complete Mac7 torrent by Central Anime but when looking at the series page onto ANN I noticed there's a preview episode (aired October 2nd, 1994) and a special episode (aired February 25th, 1996): I assume this special is Good Morning Mylene but what is this preview ep.? Is it a 'real' (watchable) episode or just a preview?

Thanks in advance :)

N00bish question here but for the life of me (or lack of one) I cannot locate the French Macross timeline information that described the dissolution of UNS into NUNS.

The Babelfish translation for those interested:

2050 February 14, U.N. Forces beat the terrorist group Vindirance.

2053 November, The Government of l' U.N freezes the movement of colonization and the accessions with l' autonomy. It s' found a true cold war between the worlds but the cultural exchanges continue d' to take place.

2057 August, New rise of the tensions between colonized planets and the Government of the United Nations of the Earth.

20XX (to be confirmed), Dissolution of the government of the ONE, replaced by the New Government of the U.N, the N.U.N. (New United Nations).

2059, The idol Sheryl Nome leaves the Macross Galaxy fleet to go on tour, on board the fleet Macross Frontier directed by the 25th long distance colonization vessel of the New-Macross class, but this one is attacked by mysterious biomechanical enemies…

No sources have been referenced for this chronology.

Edited by Zinjo

I've recently downloaded the complete Mac7 torrent by Central Anime but when looking at the series page onto ANN I noticed there's a preview episode (aired October 2nd, 1994) and a special episode (aired February 25th, 1996): I assume this special is Good Morning Mylene but what is this preview ep.? Is it a 'real' (watchable) episode or just a preview?

Thanks in advance :)

The preview episode is called "Macross's Fastest Liftoff!" and it's available on iMacross. It's mostly just two dim-witted hosts talking about Macross (and they appear to know little about it). The cheese factor is quite high, but there are some good moments (an interview with Kawamori, for example).

Special episode? I have no idea what that is..."Good Morning Mylene" was simply the first of the "Macross 7 PLUS" shorts that appeared on the end of the VHS or LD collections. I don't think it ever aired on TV.

From the Macross Compendium:

Fallacy: "Kaifun is Minmay's brother."

Explanation: Kaifun is Minmay's cousin (with no blood relations between them). Minmay says Kaifun is a "cousin who is like a brother" to her in his debut during the first series.

Source of fallacy: Assumption based on Minmay's name for Kaifun ("Kaifun-niichan"), an affectionate name for a brotherly figure.

Kaifun is definitely not Minmay's brother, but they're close cousins.

Kaifun's father is the elder brother of Minmay's father, so they are quite closely related, and i don't know how u guys see it, but there is blood relation between them - albeit not brother-sister but being close cousins, at least that's how it is where i'm brought up. Marriage between close cousins are not encouraged (not allowed), esp those with the same surname (paternal side), that's why i was very puzzled why there were rumors of the Kaifun and Minmay relationship. Anyway, Kaifun might have something for Minmay but i don't think Minmay feels the same.

Also... Minmay's father is half-chinese/japanese, his mother being a japanese. that means Minmay is 1/4 chinese... and Ranka is 1/4 zent... another homage? ^_^

EDIT: oh ok... so it came right from Perfect memory/books. they're cousins "but no blood relation" - is this how it's viewed in Japanese culture? :huh: very surprised. the only other explanation is that somewhere between them, someone is adopted.

Edited by Shun

No, no. no...Super BRUST...like Steven Brust, the excellent SF author. Heron likes my writing, I guess. :lol:

LOL! One day you'll figure it out. Hmm I wonder what Brust means in Hungarian? :unsure:

LOL! One day you'll figure it out. Hmm I wonder what Brust means in Hungarian? :unsure:

Yeah, I guessed...but I chose to believe you were flattering me, instead.

So thank you, you sweet-talker, you! ^_^

(And we should probably get back on topic now...Newbies, the floor is yours...)

ok not really a newbie question, but more of a newbie observation (heck, with a question thrown in anyway. why did i even bother with this intro? :p ):

watching macross 7, episode 5 and it's the first time i noticed that the song playing in mylene's car radio (while they were being chased by a bike gang) is a Sharon Apple song. I can't find my Mac+ OST, but it's he song that plays after each mac+ episode (is it santi-u? i can't remember the song's name). so i take it mylene or basara is a sharon apple fan, much like ozma is a fire bomber fan?

anyways, watching further on, i also noticed in that episode, in the fancy restaurant where gamlin and milia were meeting, the background music was the very same background music in Mac+ ep1 when myung and guld met again for the first time in star hill. so is the background music supposed to be a popular melody in the macross universe? or is it another sharon apple song, particularly?

ok not really a newbie question, but more of a newbie observation (heck, with a question thrown in anyway. why did i even bother with this intro? :p ):

watching macross 7, episode 5 and it's the first time i noticed that the song playing in mylene's car radio (while they were being chased by a bike gang) is a Sharon Apple song. I can't find my Mac+ OST, but it's he song that plays after each mac+ episode (is it santi-u? i can't remember the song's name). so i take it mylene or basara is a sharon apple fan, much like ozma is a fire bomber fan?

anyways, watching further on, i also noticed in that episode, in the fancy restaurant where gamlin and milia were meeting, the background music was the very same background music in Mac+ ep1 when myung and guld met again for the first time in star hill. so is the background music supposed to be a popular melody in the macross universe? or is it another sharon apple song, particularly?

Background music in Mac Plus appears to be ACTUAL music on board the Macross 7, and yeah...you do hear the occasional Sharon Apple song (that particular one in episode 5 was "After, in the dark"). According to Macross 7 Galaxy Network Chart Vol. 1, "Sharon Apple 'R'" has a big hit in 2045 with "Santi-U (Remake)," so that may be who we're hearing in M7.

Not sure why anyone would a) want to remake Sharon, or b) why anyone would buy her songs ("Hey, remember that virtuoid idol that almost enslaved the earth and completely ruined the Space War I Armistice 30th Anniversary Ceremony? Dude, she's BACK!"), but there you go...

EDIT: Typo

Edited by Gubaba

I can't confirm if it's the same in the Japanese release, but on the JVC release of the Macross Plus Soundtrack I it's a 9:03 minute song of two combined tracks named "After in the Dark - Torch song". As for characters enjoying music from previous eras, it's not that hard to believe from a production perspective. It gives something for existing Macross fans to appreciate, it enhances the depth of the fictional world in which Macross is set and the owners might as well use the music since it's there to be used. In universe, it's definitely possible people listen to Minmay, Sharon Apple and Fire Bomber. According to Macross fiction, they were the big names of the music industry in their respective eras, so it's not unreasonable to expect they endure. I listen to plenty of popular music from singers and musicians who've been dead long before I was even born :)

The Macross Plus soundtrack was used numerous times in Macross 7. If you watch all of Macross 7 you'll hear several tracks throughout the show. Again, this was likely a case of using the music because it was available, with no more meaning than that.

I can't confirm if it's the same in the Japanese release, but on the JVC release of the Macross Plus Soundtrack I it's a 9:03 minute song of two combined tracks named "After in the Dark - Torch song". As for characters enjoying music from previous eras, it's not that hard to believe from a production perspective. It gives something for existing Macross fans to appreciate, it enhances the depth of the fictional world in which Macross is set and the owners might as well use the music since it's there to be used. In universe, it's definitely possible people listen to Minmay, Sharon Apple and Fire Bomber. According to Macross fiction, they were the big names of the music industry in their respective eras, so it's not unreasonable to expect they endure. I listen to plenty of popular music from singers and musicians who've been dead long before I was even born :)

The Macross Plus soundtrack was used numerous times in Macross 7. If you watch all of Macross 7 you'll hear several tracks throughout the show. Again, this was likely a case of using the music because it was available, with no more meaning than that.

Again...most of the singers you listen to probably didn't try to enslave an entire planet. Even for those who enjoy danger and rebelliousness in their music, Sharon Apple seems like she should be beyond the pale, even by 2045...

Actually, once it was revealed the Sharon was really Myung, things could have turned out quite well. Myung seemed to have found her voice again, so she could have continued her singing career. Perhaps even under the name Sharon Apple, like a take back. "This is a song Charles Manson stole from The Beatles; we're stealing it back" :)

Actually, once it was revealed the Sharon was really Myung, things could have turned out quite well. Myung seemed to have found her voice again, so she could have continued her singing career. Perhaps even under the name Sharon Apple, like a take back. "This is a song Charles Manson stole from The Beatles; we're stealing it back" :)

Or "The Real Milli Vanilli"! ^_^

It's hard to imagine Myung wanting ANYTHING to do with Sharon Apple ever again, but hey...stranger things have happened.

(Funnily enough, I also thought of Charles Manson (but not U2...*pulls out Rattle and Hum and hits self over the head with it*) while writing my reply...after all, some people think it's uber-cool to listen to his rock stuff.

Generally, though, they're not people with very good taste.)

dude... Gubaba. Im watching your Macross watch order.. Macross plus ova were just find but Macross 7 is just sooo boring. Im on episode 10 atm. DOes this anime get better? I mean Basara's songs are just so whacked. I mean is it worth sitting through 49 episodes of this stuff?

Edited by vince1234

hmm...as I recalled correctly, from episode 11 on the series picks up a bit with the plot and stops the repetitive episode cycle of a random enemy attacks, Basara storming out on his ugly ass VF-19Kai, singing like an idiot while Gamlin yells at him to get out of the way, a lot of Cannon Fodders are taken out, Basara sings something and the Varuata leave, I sat down through the whole 49 episode, and if I remember out of 49... maybe like 5-6 episodes are really worth watching, but I guess is nice to watch everything Macross, best moment of the series, was the VF-22S, won't spoiled it for you, just so you have something to look forward to, ehhehe

hey, I got a rather silly but newbie question

you know the openning and ending credits of Macross F, or actually, on every Bandai sponsored cartoon, there's a small promo of something said and sounds like they say 'Christmas' what is it exactly said there!?

Edited by Valkyrie addict

dude... Gubaba. Im watching your Macross watch order.. Macross plus ova were just find but Macross 7 is just sooo boring. Im on episode 10 atm. DOes this anime get better? I mean Basara's songs are just so whacked. I mean is it worth sitting through 49 episodes of this stuff?

Does it get better? Most would say yes. Does it get better enough to justify watching the whole thing? That's a hotly debated topic here...

Speaking only for myself, I like it, and I think the story starts picking up around episode 13 or 14. From there, with a few glitches along the way, it continues to get better. Some Protoculture history is revealed, some stuff that may be important to Frontier is introduced, and the ending is quite good. Basara also stops singing "Planet Dance" and moves on to other songs.

BUT...it remains goofy. It's still pretty repetitive. There are more Valks with faces. No one gives Basara the smack upside he the head that he's simply BEGGING for. There are only a few truly great mecha action sequences. Max and Milia remain minor characters.

So it depends on what you want. I'd say definitely give it to the halfway point before you decide...if you want a serious mecha story, you'll be disappointed. But if you can go with the flow and accept the sheer oddity of the whole thing, it can be a lot of fun.

Fair enough...?

hey, I got a rather silly but newbie question

you know the openning and ending credits of Macross F, or actually, on every Bandai sponsored cartoon, there's a small promo of something said and sounds like they say 'Christmas' what is it exactly said there!?

"Kono bangumi wa, Bandai to, kono sponser o tekyou de okurishimasu."

...as far as I can tell, at least...and it's been the same for well over twenty years, now.

Is Earth still annihilated (as of 2050's) or due to the wonders of OTEC, Mother Nature and good , old human know-how, is it well on the road to recovery?

Is Earth still annihilated (as of 2050's) or due to the wonders of OTEC, Mother Nature and good , old human know-how, is it well on the road to recovery?

The last time we saw Earth, it looked to be mostly desert, at least in the areas where Isamu and Guld fought over in Plus. Dunno how much it would have changed in 20 years time.

If anything however, the Amazon rainforest looked alive and well back in 2010.

The preview episode is called "Macross's Fastest Liftoff!" and it's available on iMacross. It's mostly just two dim-witted hosts talking about Macross (and they appear to know little about it). The cheese factor is quite high, but there are some good moments (an interview with Kawamori, for example).

Special episode? I have no idea what that is..."Good Morning Mylene" was simply the first of the "Macross 7 PLUS" shorts that appeared on the end of the VHS or LD collections. I don't think it ever aired on TV.

Danke ;)

Not sure why anyone would a) want to remake Sharon, or b) why anyone would buy her songs ("Hey, remember that virtuoid idol that almost enslaved the earth and completely ruined the Space War I Armistice 30th Anniversary Ceremony? Dude, she's BACK!"), but there you go...

Yeah well, in reality people buy the Spice Girls, Britney Spears and Madogga so go figure. :wacko:

Taksraven

The last time we saw Earth, it looked to be mostly desert, at least in the areas where Isamu and Guld fought over in Plus. Dunno how much it would have changed in 20 years time.

If anything however, the Amazon rainforest looked alive and well back in 2010.

Its been a while since we have seen Earth, hasn't it. (I remember cheering when they went there in Plus) Maybe a future series should be based on or part of it take place on Earth for once. (Eden was really cool though)

Taksraven

Its been a while since we have seen Earth, hasn't it. (I remember cheering when they went there in Plus) Maybe a future series should be based on or part of it take place on Earth for once. (Eden was really cool though)

Taksraven

Actually, if the scenes from M7 Encore were from Earth, then it has recovered qutie a bit even back then.

Yeah well, in reality people buy the Spice Girls, Britney Spears and Madogga so go figure. :wacko:

Taksraven

I don't think any of them actually tried to hypnotize everyone in the world, though...it just SEEMS like they did. :D

Actually, if the scenes from M7 Encore were from Earth, then it has recovered qutie a bit even back then.

Are you talking about "On Stage"? If so...it was a dramatization (and thus probably filmed entirely on City 7).

Are you talking about "On Stage"? If so...it was a dramatization (and thus probably filmed entirely on City 7).

I'm referring to the actual flashback parts later in that episode.

Again...most of the singers you listen to probably didn't try to enslave an entire planet. Even for those who enjoy danger and rebelliousness in their music, Sharon Apple seems like she should be beyond the pale, even by 2045...

That's what MAKES her great! Everyone sings about how crappy the world is, but only Sharon was willing to do something about it!

Seriously, while I'm as surprised as you that the resurrection went mainstream, I would be very unsurprised to hear she still had a cult following(in more ways than one).