Newbie Questions on Macross

In the AnimEigo notes for the Box set, it states that the VEFR-1 is a 'non-macross ship' in addition to the Orguss Valkyrie. If this is the case, where is it from?

I believe the VEFR-1 was originally a custom model theme that was eventually assimilated, something kind of like the 1/48 Yamato Low-Vis. It is shown in the Macross Hobby Book on page 27.

post-2-1074571448_thumb.jpg

The SDF-1 had to undergo transformation so power conduits can be connected to fire the macross cannon. But why does the Macross 7's Battle 7 have to undergo a transformation? It would be tons easier if it could fire in normal configuration. I just passed it off as "because it looks cooler in robot mode" but I guess there's always more to it.

I answered this way back on page 13 (see it helps to read the entire thread :D).

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...=2&t=140&st=240

Think of it this way, if a tank's cannon wasn't mounted on a turret and was fixed, it would be forced to move the entire vehicle into a new firing position everytime. This would be quite a pain in the ass. What transforming does is increase the firing arc.

That's a good answer, butI don't think it's "official", is it?

Besides, it begs the question, why doesn't Battle 7 have a configuration which doesn't need to be transformed to swivel the cannon?

It's not official, but it's a logical one. :)

Besides, it begs the question, why doesn't Battle 7 have a configuration which doesn't need to be transformed to swivel the cannon?

Then it won't be an infamous transforming Macross ship. :)

I was wondering why was there such a long break in the storyline between Episodes 27 (Force of Arms) and 28 (Reconstruction Blues). Sorry if these might be the Robotech titles but the question still remains. Two years is a LOT of character developement to pass up..........the aftermath of Space War I, construction of Macross City, assimilation of the Zentradi culture on Earth, etc. 

Why Kawamori? Why?

From the Animeigo liner notes:

Kawamori Shoji notes that the creators wanted to portray a peaceful lull almost 2 years after the last episode (Episode 27) and even more the story away from Macross

I answered this way back on page 13 (see it helps to read the entire thread :D).

Think of it this way, if a tank's cannon wasn't mounted on a turret and was fixed, it would be forced to move the entire vehicle into a new firing position everytime. This would be quite a pain in the ass. What transforming does is increase the firing arc.

Thanks. It does make sense, but like ewilen pointed out, they could very well make a turreting cannon instead of transformation. Transformation takes alot of precious time which leaves the ship vulnerable for those precious few minutes.

But its a good answer nonetheless. Thanks. :)

Another few questions: What valkyrie was Basara flying in Macross 7 dyamite? It looks like Robotech's YF-1R with the 3 lasers and all, then I remembered in fighter mode, its a VF-19. So its basically a modified VF-19 eh?

And that planet Basara was on.....they aren't humans and I assume aren't Zentraedi either. (look more like a cross between elves and beastmen) Does this mean humans/zentraedi have made contact with other alien civilisations? Even so, it looks like they have soaked in human culture to the point of playing Basara's songs on their public radio and owning Valkyries. Thus, this means that UN Spacy has become some kind of intergalactic governing body??

Is there such a thing as "Meltrandi" in the TV series? Are all female Zentraedi referred to Meltrand?

Another few questions: What valkyrie was Basara flying in Macross 7 dyamite? It looks like Robotech's YF-1R with the 3 lasers and all, then I remembered in fighter mode, its a VF-19. So its basically a modified VF-19 eh?

And that planet Basara was on.....they aren't humans and I assume aren't Zentraedi either. (look more like a cross between elves and beastmen) Does this mean humans/zentraedi have made contact with other alien civilisations? Even so, it looks like they have soaked in human culture to the point of playing Basara's songs on their public radio and owning Valkyries. Thus, this means that UN Spacy has become some kind of intergalactic governing body??

Is there such a thing as "Meltrandi" in the TV series? Are all female Zentraedi referred to Meltrand?

1) It is a VF-19P.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...vf19/index.html

2) Yes. They are Zolans. Just as humans were part of the Ape family, Zolans were part of the marsupial family. And they have their own songs, but they get the Galaxy Network as well which is why they get human songs as well. Zola is independent of the UN. They just purchase mechs from the UN.

3) Meltrans usually refer to entire fleets made up of all female Zentradi. They are still Zentradi, except their all girls.

Was rewatching episode 22, and I realise what I thought were 2 landing lights in front of the VF-1's nose was firing lasers. Are these really weapons or again, animation mistakes? Macross Compendium doesn't say anything of such a weapon.....is Macross Compendium supposed to be canon?

Was rewatching episode 22, and I realise what I thought were 2 landing lights in front of the VF-1's nose was firing lasers. Are these really weapons or again, animation mistakes? Macross Compendium doesn't say anything of such a weapon.....is Macross Compendium supposed to be canon?

It's an animation mistake. HG counts it as an existing weapong system on the "veritech" in Robotech. Then again these are the same clowns that created the YF-1R from an animation mistake. "Stealth" fighter my ass... <_<

edit: Oh yeah, Macross Compendium is probably as official as you'll get, confirm it with some other members though.

Edited by Sumdumgai

Thanks. It does make sense, but like ewilen pointed out, they could very well make a turreting cannon instead of transformation. Transformation takes alot of precious time which leaves the ship vulnerable for those precious few minutes.

Well, a conventional turret only gets you 360 in one plane. You still have to move the ship if the enemy isn't oriented in the same plane as you(I assume a gun that big would be restricted to one axis of motion). And it'd likely be oriented to hit the least threatening vehicles, the ones coming in along the front and sides. The top and bottom, your largest surfaces, are undefended.

In humanoid form, your gun defends one of your most vulnerable sides.

Then there's the psychological factor.

The ship likely "OH MY GOD IT'S HUGE I'M GONNA DIE!" effect on people on the wrong end of the gun.

And most importantly, it looks cool.

The "Minmay Attack" song which was featured in Macross II : Lover's Again was played several times in Macross 7. Was it officially one of Min May's songs? Has it appeared in any other of the shows?

2) Yes. They are Zolans. Just as humans were part of the Ape family, Zolans were part of the marsupial family. And they have their own songs, but they get the Galaxy Network as well which is why they get human songs as well. Zola is independent of the UN. They just purchase mechs from the UN.

Do the Zolan's have their own UN style galactic government, (colonies) or are they just in their own solar system?

Can a Zolan breed with a human or Zentraedi?

Macross Plus question.... I have watched and re-watched my Episode 1... I don't recognise the enemy mecha Isamu is fighting at the start of the episode. Is it Zentran, Meltron, some other enemy?

Okay, I haven't been able to find the answer in the compendium and am just going on memories, so please someone confirm whether I am correct or wrong.

If memory serves me correctly, the enemy mecha are Zentraedi. Not Meltran since that is in DYRL (movie taking place in the Macross Universe) or in Macross II which is considered "another universe". They are renegade Zentraedi in power armor like an upgraded Nousjadeul-Ger (http://macross.anime.net/mecha/zentradi/aerospace_craft/nousjadeul_ger/index.html).

I know that there is a more complicated background story to it, but I can't quite remember. You may want to check out the Macross timeline on the compendium, you might find some answers there. I'm just too damned lazy to sift through it myself... :p

http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/index.html

The "Minmay Attack" song which was featured in Macross II : Lover's Again was played several times in Macross 7. Was it officially one of Min May's songs? Has it appeared in any other of the shows?

Correction: "Banana Moon Love" was the song and I don't believe it ever made it to M7. "Riding in your Valkyrie" was the song used most in M7 by the Jamming Birds. I'll have to talk to Keith to confirm that though. Definitely though, it's not a Minmay song.

Do the Zolan's have their own UN style galactic government, (colonies) or are they just in their own solar system?

Most likely, just a system.

Can a Zolan breed with a human or Zentraedi?

Go meet a Zolan and find out. :D (i.e. start a new topic)

Well. August is a mere six months away and thus the 20th Annivesary of DYRL will finally be upon us.

Does anyone know what was the exact "theatrical release date" for DYRL in Japan, Hong Kong, etc?

:blink:

August 20-something, according to the trailers on the DYRL DVD.

August 20-something, according to the trailers on the DYRL DVD.

Whoa.......I'm looking at my 2004 calender right now.

Skips down to August 20th.

Well well well. Guess what guys......it falls on a Friday!

Hear that Big West?

August 20th, 2004 - The 20th Anniversary of DYRL falls on a Friday.

Nousjadeul Ger-Kai

Details on armament and stuff can be found @ mahq.net

Thanks Imode, thats a site I have yet to find. Had what I was looking for, and I quote:

"In 2040 AD, reckless Valkyrie pilot Lt. Isamu Dyson is involved in a battle against renegade Zentradi in an asteroid field."

Added that site to my favorites

MAHQ is an awesome site, no doubt about that. They have complete reveiws for the entire Macross series so far (Including 7, Plus, and even three eps of Zero) Not to mention their entire mecha database...

At the risk of being Non-Macross, why wasn't Orguss so popular? Now that I'm a fan almost overnight I'd like to know why it wasn't as popular (Or perhaps I should phrase my question like this: What made Macross so land-slidingly popular that other series at the time lacked?)

At the risk of being Non-Macross, why wasn't Orguss so popular? Now that I'm a fan almost overnight I'd like to know why it wasn't as popular (Or perhaps I should phrase my question like this: What made Macross so land-slidingly popular that other series at the time lacked?)

No one really knows. For the answer, you'll probably have to talk to the execs of the show. One thing that may have contributed to it's lower popularity (It was still popular) was that it was part of the trend. Transforming robots (i.e. toys) were popular. Having the same motif at the same hour from 1982-1984 would probably kill the audience. It was probably too much of a good thing. ;)

Correction: "Banana Moon Love" was the song and I don't believe it ever made it to M7. "Riding in your Valkyrie" was the song used most in M7 by the Jamming Birds. I'll have to talk to Keith to confirm that though. Definitely though, it's not a Minmay song.

I'm not sure if it was called Banana Moon love....doesn't sound like its got anything to do with love cos its rather fast paced and all. I am very sure that it was played a couple of times on M7, like when Mylene was driving the car and it plays on the radio, was heard on Zolan radios in dynamite....etc. Its not sung by anybody in M7 though, if that's what you were thinking.

Its the song they used in the "Minmay Attack" part of Macross II, where some laser beams and holograms of a dancing singer (Minmay?) play out in space while she sings the song and battle with the Marduk ensues. So I was curious if it was a Minmay song and if it was played in any other series elsewhere...maybe in Flashback or something.

Its the song they used in the "Minmay Attack" part of Macross II, where some laser beams and holograms of a dancing singer (Minmay?) play out in space while she sings the song and battle with the Marduk ensues. So I was curious if it was a Minmay song and if it was played in any other series elsewhere...maybe in Flashback or something.

Now that you've given me more details, it's called "Banana Moon Love". I'm sure of it. And no it is not a Minmay song.

Now that you've given me more details, it's called "Banana Moon Love". I'm sure of it. And no it is not a Minmay song.

Ok, thanks! But strange that they were using a non-minmay song for the "Minmay Attack". :lol:

But , if it wasn't a Minmay song and Macross II was not an official storyline for the Macross series, why was it played several times in Macross 7? Unless they were trying to give tribute to Macross II despite being the blacksheep of the Macross series or it was played elsewhere as well?

Thats a nice list.....but that doesnt help me out much. Actually I was asking for someone who knows to point me to a specific Macross 7 album or single that contains the said version of Totsugeki Love Heart if one exists at all? The Totsugeki Love Heart entries on that page do not have a description,tag or otherwise that would denote that it's not the normal version of Totsugeki Love Heart. Thanks

But , if it wasn't a Minmay song and Macross II was not an official storyline for the Macross series, why was it played several times in Macross 7? Unless they were trying to give tribute to Macross II despite being the blacksheep of the Macross series or it was played elsewhere as well?

Just cuz. Macross 7, incorporates lots of music from the entire series. It had music from DYRL?, M+, MII and it's own music. Perhaps Kawamori was paying some tribute to MII, but maybe, he was adding a story flavor. The music style has changed with every Macross series. Maybe it's a fun idea to incorporate music from the rest of the series just to say, well, not everyone likes the same kind of music. Some people like idol-pop, rock, etc. And M7 did exactly that. The majority of it was rock, but Kawamori threw in some other music to say, not everybody on M7 listens to just Fire Bomber.

is the version of "Totsugeki Love Heart" (the one with Basara singing accompanied only by an acoustic guitar) that is played at the ending of Mscross 7 available on any of the released Macross 7 music albums or singles?

Speaking of "Totsugeki Love Heart".

Is there a Mylene only version? I really liked her solo performance more then Basara's.