Newbie Questions on Macross

EDIT IN: Opps forgot! Misa, and Hikaru were the lead planners and commanders of the Megaroad-01. I believe that Minmay was a passenger on the colonization fleet.

More to the point, Misa was hand-picked by Global to command the first colonization mission (Episode 36 of SDF Macross). So of course she had to go. :)

is megaroad shown in the japanise version of macross?  i have robotech and don't remember anything like that

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...s/Megaroad.html

Scroll to the bottom. It lists appearences.

i think you misunderstood my question.

is the physical ship ever shown in SDF macross? if so did they use any of the footage in robotech? i don't remember seeing anything like a colony ship nor anything called megaroad, not in robotech.

1 "is it in ( drawn and animated) SDF macross?"

2 "is it in robotech?"

is the physical ship ever shown in SDF macross? if so did they use any of the footage in robotech? i don't remember seeing anything like a colony ship nor anything called megaroad, not in robotech.

1 "is it in ( drawn and animated) SDF macross?"

2 "is it in robotech?"

No....none whatsoever.

The original SDF-02 design was in Macross Perfect Memory.

It appears nowhere in the animation (and only exists as 2 stray lines of dialogue in Robotech).

Hi.

I don't know if this is really a newbie question or not, but I might as well ask:

In the Macross's storm attacker mode, is the city sections still directed to the top of the ship's cruiser mode body? (I.e., when the ship is in storm attacker is Macross city vertical to the horizon?) If so, how can all the citizens stay upright without falling to one side of the city? (Unless the gravity control system is REALLY sophisticated)

I was wondering about this ever since I got my hands on the second box set of the uncut Macross, when the SDF-1 lands in the water (And I gotta wonder about how much shock-absobsion was used to prevent the entire populace of Macross from being thrown around like rag dolls...). I was also questioning the interior of the Macross city plans ever since learning that the Macross has remained in it's storm attacker mode yet became the UN SPACY HQ...

Well, if you can understand all that, a reply would be helpful.

In the Macross's storm attacker mode, is the city sections still directed to the top of the ship's cruiser mode body? (I.e., when the ship is in storm attacker is Macross city vertical to the horizon?) If so, how can all the citizens stay upright without falling to one side of the city? (Unless the gravity control system is REALLY sophisticated)

I was wondering about this ever since I got my hands on the second box set of the uncut Macross, when the SDF-1 lands in the water (And I gotta wonder about how much shock-absobsion was used to prevent the entire populace of Macross from being thrown around like rag dolls...). I was also questioning the interior of the Macross city plans ever since learning that the Macross has remained in it's storm attacker mode yet became the UN SPACY HQ...

I had asked this exact question a while back in this thread. The water landings are what made me wonder about it too.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...=2&t=140&st=160

It appears that the gravity control system IS that sophisticated :lol: If you watch DYRL, it will make this very apparent (attack scene where "gravity sub-system #16" is damaged).

Hn... I thought it was by the moving levels idea, where during transofmation parts of the city levels would break and then swivel to face 'up' in Storm attacker mode.

Ah, oh well.

Here's another speculation: If the DYRL Macross landed in water, would the ARMDs still function as carriers or even float at all? (Sorry, I haven't seen DYRL yet, so this might seem like a stupid question...)

Edited by Boxer

I had asked this exact question a while back in this thread. The water landings are what made me wonder about it too.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...=2&t=140&st=160

It appears that the gravity control system IS that sophisticated :lol: If you watch DYRL, it will make this very apparent (attack scene where "gravity sub-system #16" is damaged).

It's not very sophisticated at all if the city segments are on top of their localized gravity generator, which makes a lot more sense than beams of gravity projected from teh edges of the comaprtment.

You rotate a plate, and you have a grav generator on one side and a couple city blocks on the other. Similar to if you stick a magnet on the underside of a sheet of paper and a nail on the topside.

The messy part comes when you hit a transitional area(moving from one section to another). With luck, the 2 areas are pretty close to the same orientation and there's not much transition. We'll ASSUME people aren't travelling directly to perpendicular areas, as that's just plain dangerous.

Transitions would be especially bad if gravity works in waves. Interference patterns would play hell with anyone trying to navigate a grav field intersection(1.5 g... 1 g ... .5 g ... 1 g ... 1.5 g ... 1 g ... .5 g.... *barf*)

Now that I think about it, I can see only one logical conclusion if every area is not in the exact same plane(which it very clearly isn't in attacker mode), and that is that the Macross is NOT a place for those with weak stomachs.

Hn... I thought it was by the moving levels idea, where during transofmation parts of the city levels would break and then swivel to face 'up' in Storm attacker mode.

Ah, oh well.

Here's another speculation: If the DYRL Macross landed in water, would the ARMDs still function as carriers or even float at all? (Sorry, I haven't seen DYRL yet, so this might seem like a stupid question...)

Unfortunately, there is not enough room for levels to rotate. The levels of the city span from one end of the level to the other. And it would be very difficult to create several dozen swivel points and redesign the city to accomadate the several dozen swivel points.

Floating is not a problem as the ARMD carriers are held up by the arm joints on Macross. It's dependent on the arm joints, and not the ARMD carriers.

Ah, oh well.

Unfortunately, there is not enough room for levels to rotate. The levels of the city span from one end of the level to the other. And it would be very difficult to create several dozen swivel points and redesign the city to accomadate the several dozen swivel points.

Floating is not a problem as the ARMD carriers are held up by the arm joints on Macross. It's dependent on the arm joints, and not the ARMD carriers.

Though ...

An ARMD would be water-tight, given it's going to be operating in space so it needs to be air-tight.

We know it won't leak.

And one would also assume that mass was kept to a minimum, to minimize inertia and by extension how much propellant was needed. So the ARMDs should be less dense and therefore more bouyant than an aquatic vessel of equivalent size.

I'd figure an ARMD should float better than the Daedalus and Prometheus ever did.

Ah, oh well.

My swivel idea assumes that the city sections would break into parts and rotate.

But then again, do you mean there's no room for them to rotate? How many levels does Macross city have?

Would the ARMD platforms still be able to operate in an atmosphere while connected to the Macross? I think I read somewhere that the ARMD platforms were also designed to connect to the Macross arm sections (This may be Robotech nonsense, I'm not sure...).

And in reguars to those connections, do we see this happen (I don't have box set #1...) It looks like the ARMD platform's don't seem to have any sort of connection assemblies on their backs to permit such a docking manuver. Did they intend on using the engine as a docking point or not?

Another newbie question possibly already asked: What is the Orguss valkyre? Is it named because of it's superficial similiarty to an ORguss machine? And how come it's in there yet there's very little attentnion paid to it (Unless it's a gag...)

Would the ARMD platforms still be able to operate in an atmosphere while connected to the Macross? I think I read somewhere that the ARMD platforms were also designed to connect to the Macross arm sections (This may be Robotech nonsense, I'm not sure...).

It's very early in Macross. Before the hyperspace fold.

Global's trying to dock with the ARMDs right after liftoff.

And in reguars to those connections, do we see this happen (I don't have box set #1...) It looks like the ARMD platform's don't seem to have any sort of connection assemblies on their backs to permit such a docking manuver. Did they intend on using the engine as a docking point or not?

No clue.

Another newbie question possibly already asked: What is the Orguss valkyre? Is it named because of it's superficial similiarty to an ORguss machine? And how come it's in there yet there's very little attention paid to it (Unless it's a gag...)

Yes, it's called that because it looks sort of like an Orguss.

And yes, it's a gag. Character designer Haruhiko Mikimoto also worked on Orguss.

But then again, do you mean there's no room for them to rotate? How many levels does Macross city have?

Please see page 146 of Macross Perfect Memory (http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/series_pm.htm).

There are several shots of the city levels. In one shot (3rd panel down, left side) you can see 4 levels of the city. Due to varying building size, space needed to rotate, a rotating system would not fit. Try it with your hand. Assume your hand is one section of a rotating block. Assume the tallest building reached the height of ceiling. Now pivot. The level would immediately hit the ceiling. Even if the block sizes were reduced, you would still have to accomodate a rotating mechanism. Sorry to say, but space is limited already on Macross so a rotating block system would not work nor would there be room enough to fit that plus an entire city. Parts of the city already have to seperate and rearrange to accomodate the transformation system. A rotating block system would only add to the property damage.

Couple of questions...

1. Why did the ASS-1 crash on the Earth in the first place? I know it was a supervision army ship, but what made it crash? Was it crippled? Abandoned? Dropped here on purpose as some sort of galactic prank? I've never come across much info about the circumstances that led it to Earth. Hopefully some exists.

2. What exactly are the reaction weapons described in the TV show? Are they just another name for nukes, or something else?

Thanks.

Why did the ASS-1 crash on the Earth in the first place?

It was abandoned by the supervison army, and sent into a fold to draw the Zentradi away. And yes it was booby trapped so that when the Zentradi did show up it could drestroy numerous vessels without risk to actual Supervison Personnel. I'm probably wrong but that's what I have come up with.

As for defolding near Earth..I think it was random? Maybe. Or because a Protoculture Base was on Earth. Someone with more knowledge can answer it better.

What exactly are the reaction weapons

They are Nukes. more powerful nukes...but nukes no the less.

Ooo Ooo :lol: This was my 600th post "I'm doin' the Happy dance...doin the Happy dance...... :lol::lol:

Rob MN

Edited by Monkey-N

It was abandoned by the supervison army, and sent into a fold to draw the Zentradi away. And yes it was booby trapped so that when the Zentradi did show up it could drestroy numerous vessels without risk to actual Supervison Personnel. I'm probably wrong but that's what I have come up with.

As for defolding near Earth..I think it was random? Maybe. Or because a Protoculture Base was on Earth. Someone with more knowledge can answer it better.

Close enough. ASS-1 was running. With the crew nearly gone, you can make a suicide run and draw the enemy away. When they get close enough, boom. Essentially a booby trap. Draw the enemy in and then close the trap.

It was a random defold. Conspiracy theorists will think otherwise. But that topic is for it's own thread.

Simple question: What is the official "real world" leg transformation like? I mean, for the VF-1.

I haven't seen the TV show, but only watched DYRL?, which doesn't show the transformation clearly enough to figure out how the intakes/hips are carried from the chest plate to the hip bars at the nose.

I have done some forum searches but didn't find anything, sp any help would be very much appreciated.

-- Pointer

Simple question: What is the official "real world" leg transformation like? I mean, for the VF-1.

I haven't seen the TV show, but only watched DYRL?, which doesn't show the transformation clearly enough to figure out how the intakes/hips are carried from the chest plate to the hip bars at the nose.

I have done some forum searches but didn't find anything, sp any help would be very much appreciated.

-- Pointer

Simple question, tough answer

there is a lineart pic floating around the board which shows 2 pistons connecting the underside of the chest to the intakes

and assumably move the legs towards their connectionpoint at the nose after which they disconnect

where the legs connect to is unknown, Yamato's answers is as good as any

there maybe is a link somewhere on the main page of MW about creating perfect transformation (models section?)

I believe it was a contest back in the day, where they had the lineart and

some of the proposed solutions posted

Edit: here's the link: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/contes...nsform_2001.htm

Edited by Nightbat®

What exactly are the reaction weapons

They are Nukes. more powerful nukes...but nukes no the less.

I'd heard that Kawamori wanted to identify them as nuclear (remember, that's nu-clear, not nyu-cu-lar :p ) weapons, but couldn't since a Japanese audience would not have stood for a show's heroes using nukes. That, of course, being a holdover from Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

i might sound stupid or whatever but why doesn't the vf-11 have an "S" head?

i'm there have been aces and squad leaders that flew 11's... :blink:

Most likely because the VF-11 never developed past the cannon fodder stage. The widely used model was B, and by the time Macross Plus rolls around, the VF-11 was already in lined to be replaced. There's no real records of more advanced VF-11's being distributed to squad leaders either. I suppose, you could consider the MAXL as being the more advanced version of the 11 although the only one I've seen was Mylene's pink one with boobies.

but wasn't the vf-11 already like 20 or so years old when macross plus came around? i also know there were other valk's around that time so do you think they'd use those as squad-leaders instead of the 11 itself?

it's just upsetting that it didn't get the attention it deserved since it was brought down to canon fodder status from the get go because of macross plus.

i'm just another upset fan of the vf-11 :p

but wasn't the vf-11 already like 20 or so years old when macross plus came around? i also know there were other valk's around that time so do you think they'd use those as squad-leaders instead of the 11 itself?

it's just upsetting that it didn't get the attention it deserved since it was brought down to canon fodder status from the get go because of macross plus.

i'm just another upset fan of the vf-11  :p

Another oddity for the VF-11 was the non-rotating cockpit. Even the D model VF-11 had the rotating chairs, but not the B's and C's shown. Strange. That had to be a bitch in atmosphere. At least with the heatshield you didn't have to look at the ground when in battroid.

One justification I could see for there being no S model for the Vf-11 is due to the nature of the design. There was no space between the arms for quad or dual head lasers in fighter mode, at least not still able to fire them.

Could have been intended as a cost saving measure by the -11's designers, and (do to popular demand from pilots?) the -S model was brought back beginning with the VF-17. They just upgraded the blocks as they went along, eventually hitting the VF-11C's we saw in M7. Apparently Aces could request MAXL variants probably depending on their fleet commander's perogative.

Actually come to think of it, the VF-4, and the VF-5000 did not have S versions either. They are nowhere in the Compendium. UN Spacy must have thought after SW1, "Why the hell do we have 6+ versions of the VF-1 (A,J,S,D,VE,VT), plus Fast packs, and GBP armor" They made one version of the valks, and made the fast packs and GBP armor accordingly. Eventually they branched out again into different versions for the -17 and -19.

I'm sure the animators didn't complain either.

Edited by Anubis

Another oddity for the VF-11 was the non-rotating cockpit. Even the D model VF-11 had the rotating chairs, but not the B's and C's shown. Strange. That had to be a bitch in atmosphere. At least with the heatshield you didn't have to look at the ground when in battroid.

The VF-11 cockpit does indeed rotate. Example? Kinyru jumping into the cockpit of the Full-Armored VF-11. The seat rotates almost immediately as the heat shield covers the cockpit and vice versa.

Another oddity for the VF-11 was the non-rotating cockpit.  Even the D model VF-11 had the rotating chairs, but not the B's and C's shown.  Strange.  That had to be a bitch in atmosphere.  At least with the heatshield you didn't have to look at the ground when in battroid.

The VF-11 cockpit does indeed rotate. Example? Kinyru jumping into the cockpit of the Full-Armored VF-11. The seat rotates almost immediately as the heat shield covers the cockpit and vice versa.

True, you're right there.

I remember the B model in M+, when Isamu opened the heatshield coming towards Guld in the end of Ep. 1, he was angled down, and had his head looking up at the 21.

Maybe I am just crazy today. I have to pop the damn disc in the drive now to see, and check the other 11's in M+. Take a little bit.

One justification I could see for there being no S model for the Vf-11 is due to the nature of the design. There was no space between the arms for quad or dual head lasers in fighter mode, at least not still able to fire them.

Could have been intended as a cost saving measure by the -11's designers, and (do to popular demand from pilots?) the -S model was brought back beginning with the VF-17. They just upgraded the blocks as they went along, eventually hitting the VF-11C's we saw in M7. Apparently Aces could request MAXL variants probably depending on their fleet commander's perogative.

Actually come to think of it, the VF-4, and the VF-5000 did not have S versions either. They are nowhere in the Compendium. UN Spacy must have thought after SW1, "Why the hell do we have 6+ versions of the VF-1 (A,J,S,D,VE,VT), plus Fast packs, and GBP armor" They made one version of the valks, and made the fast packs and GBP armor accordingly. Eventually they branched out again into different versions for the -17 and -19.

I'm sure the animators didn't complain either.

Perhaps maybe at the time the UN Spacy felt that they should have dedicated fighters for the dedicated commander/squad mode (After Zjent tactics?)

Don't know if this is another newbie question or not: Was the Megaroad a complete 'single ship' or did it have a pair of new ARMDs attatched to the side. I looked at the lineart, and it seems that there's large block-like ships on either sides of the legs where the DYRL? ARMDs are on the Macross.

I remember the B model in M+, when Isamu opened the heatshield coming towards Guld in the end of Ep. 1, he was angled down, and had his head looking up at the 21.

He was in the process of changing modes. There is a shot where you see the YF-21 falling. This parallels Guld's lost of control scene. As you see the YF-21 fall out of the shot, the VF-11's heat shield is still closed. However in the shot before, you see Isamu's VF-11 reaching for the YF-21. It's a 1-instance scene divided in 3 parts shown in a linear method (the 3 parts being, the perspective of the YF-21, the external shot pointed at the VF-11, and the control room shot).

Don't know if this is another newbie question or not: Was the Megaroad a complete 'single ship' or did it have a pair of new ARMDs attatched to the side. I looked at the lineart, and it seems that there's large block-like ships on either sides of the legs where the DYRL? ARMDs are on the Macross.

It is a single ship. The 2 blocks are the engine blocks/launch bays. There are no ARMD carriers on the Megaroad-class.

Strange though...

The lineart from the Macrossmecha page seemed to convince me that there was some sort of independant weapons platform added to the Megaroad design at the last minute (Or a new ARMD design modified purpousfully for the ARMD).

Some of the images on the site seem to prove me wrong though, and I could be. the ARMDs would make excellent life boats though.

He was in the process of changing modes. There is a shot where you see the YF-21 falling. This parallels Guld's lost of control scene. As you see the YF-21 fall out of the shot, the VF-11's heat shield is still closed. However in the shot before, you see Isamu's VF-11 reaching for the YF-21. It's a 1-instance scene divided in 3 parts shown in a linear method (the 3 parts being, the perspective of the YF-21, the external shot pointed at the VF-11, and the control room shot).

Ahh, OK. I see now, thanks. I get the perspectives bit now.

So in M7 also, when ejecting the cockpit sections like the 11 CF's were doing all the time, in Battroid it would rotate the seat back forward, then eject the cockpit?

So the 11's seat did rotate on the B/C. Come to think of it, when they showed the dogfight in the beginning, Isamu was oriented the right way, so yeah it rotated. Never mind there then.

Edited by Anubis

So in M7 also, when ejecting the cockpit sections like the 11 CF's were doing all the time, in Battroid it would rotate the seat back forward, then eject the cockpit?

Well I don't know about that...The ejecting cockpits in M7 usually came from VF-11s that were in fighter mode. I would say the cockpit ejects first, then you rotate from a battroid, but we don't really know.

The lineart from the Macrossmecha page seemed to convince me that there was some sort of independant weapons platform added to the Megaroad design at the last minute (Or a new ARMD design modified purpousfully for the ARMD).

Some of the images on the site seem to prove me wrong though, and I could be. the ARMDs would make excellent life boats though.

Unfortunately, we only have that on the Megaroad-class. For all we know, those sections might be able to seperate in the event of an emergency situation. :) Speculate all you want, and leave that for a fan-fic/new thread.

-- Pointer

Simple question, tough answer

there is a lineart pic floating around the board which shows 2 pistons connecting the underside of the chest to the intakes

and assumably move the legs towards their connectionpoint at the nose after which they disconnect

where the legs connect to is unknown, Yamato's answers is as good as any

there maybe is a link somewhere on the main page of MW about creating perfect transformation (models section?)

I believe it was a contest back in the day, where they had the lineart and

some of the proposed solutions posted

Edit: here's the link: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/contes...nsform_2001.htm

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for.

So there are many possible solutions, but are there any references to how Kawamori himself envisioned it?

Edit: Oops, just found it in the contest's requirements. Again, many thanks!

Edited by Pointer