Newbie Questions on Macross

Is the vertical seam on the VF-1S head canon? In DYRL i saw the 1S (always?) had a vertical line down its head....or is this another error?

OT: i see a lot of people complaining about this in their DYRL toys when it was actually part of DYRL....or am i wrong...?

Is the vertical seam on the VF-1S head canon? In DYRL i saw the 1S (always?) had a vertical line down its head....or is this another error?

OT: i see a lot of people complaining about this in their DYRL toys when it was actually part of DYRL....or am i wrong...?

If you mean the seam right down the middle of the head, no that isn't uspposed to be there, and yes people have been complaining about said seam. I suppose that if a seam is seen in DYRL it was an extra design cue that the animator (who ever was drawing that cell) took the liberty to add in.

okay...what the heck is a CF-1A? i keep seeing this but i have no idea what it is. HELP!

CF = Cannon Fodder

you know those brown VFs that get blown appart by the dozens in the SDF-Macross TV show?

ah ha!

i knew i wasn't going knuts :blink:

so it's the VF-1A/CF-1A/brownie/??? or is there something else i'm missing?

The official name for the "brownie" is just the VF-1A mass production type. "CF" (cannon fodder) and even "brownie" for that matter are just nicknames. Mainly becuase we see them being routinely destroyed in the series! They exist just as a plot device to be wiped out by the Zentradi..in other words they are just ...cannon fodder! After all, if you want a series portraying a war to be realistic, there must be deaths. And you can't kill ALL of the main characters. So, the producers wind up using the faceless VF-1A "brownie" pilots to portray this. ;) ..Kinda like the "red shirts" of Star Trek who are also "cannon fodder" in a sense! Even poor Kakizaki just had a custom CF VF-1A and we all know what happened to him..... :lol:

As a further explanation, check out this definition of cannon fodder (from Hyperdictionary.com) as it applies to this situation: Soldiers who are regarded as expendable in the face of artillery fire :ph34r:

Melissa

Yes, but it can't fold its wings down in Batroid mode while carrying missiles. Take a look at the end of DYRL for a good example of how a Valk carries its missiles in Battroid mode.

I'm guessing that it's probably SOP to fire all the missiles whenever possible before going to Batroid mode. As for Gerwalk, the missiles aren't an issue, since they probably only rarely get in the way of other parts of the Valk.

another stupid question....

whats the difference between strike fast pack and super fast pack?

i'm guessing its the over the shoulder laser cannon, that makes the difference?

Right, just the cannon.

another stupid question....

whats the difference between strike fast pack and super fast pack?

i'm guessing its the over the shoulder laser cannon, that makes the difference?

When in doubt, look at the "Codenames and Unofficial Designations" sections here:

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/index.html

I've got two questions regarding the Gunpod on the VF-1 (all variants that carry a gunpod)

1) Does it open up to fire in fighter mode (or gerwalk with arms stowed)?

2) Can it fire without opening up?

That's it for now!

Any help would be appreciated!

I've got two questions regarding the Gunpod on the VF-1 (all variants that carry a gunpod)

1) Does it open up to fire in fighter mode (or gerwalk with arms stowed)?

2) Can it fire without opening up?

"Opening up"..... I have no idea what you mean by this. Please clarify what you mean.

I'll assume it's the extendable stock on the GU-11.

1) No.

2) Yes.

Let's look at some pics.

(courtesy of Graham's 1/48 reviews)

gunpod4.jpg

See those slits at the exposed mid section? That's the brass ejection port.

gunpod6.jpg

See, when collapsed, the extendable stock covers the ejection port (we can't have that now...) so another slit was cut into the stock to allow for brass to eject safely.

Edited by azrael

Although, if they used caseless ammo, they wouldn't need a brass ejection port.

But seeing empty shell cases fly is just plain cool! :p

On a second note, the DYRL launch arms seems to clamping/pressure type deal and I would think magnets would screw around with the electronics and whatnot, and I think they would want to avoid that as much as possible, even though I'm pretty sure the electronics in a valk would be heavily shielded from electromagnetic pulse and such. Just my two cents.

Hi all, I'm new here. I've some questions about the Original Macross TV series (the only Macross series I've seen).

1. Can anyone tell me whats the name of the mecha in the background? Is that the Orguss?! :blink:

2. Is there any info on the 'Supervision Army', the enemy fighting against the Zentredi? Any mention whether they are also created by ProtoCulture? They are still fighting the war right? And seems like Macross is a ship more technologically advanced than what the Supervision Army is having. Why would they send Macross to Earth? and it's an empty ship?

3. After the catastrophic attack on Earth, it's quite unbelieveable that Misa Hiyase was the SOLE survivor on Earth?! Any explanation on this?

Thanks in adv.

post-2-1062601916_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shun

Hi all, I'm new here. I've some questions about the Original Macross TV series (the only Macross series I've seen).

1. Can anyone tell me whats the name of the mecha in the background? Is that the Orguss?! :blink:

2. Is there any info on the 'Supervision Army', the enemy fighting against the Zentredi? Any mention whether they are also created by ProtoCulture? They are still fighting the war right? And seems like Macross is a ship more technologically advanced than what the Supervision Army is having. Why would they send Macross to Earth? and it's an empty ship?

3. After the catastrophic attack on Earth, it's quite unbelieveable that Misa Hiyase was the SOLE survivor on Earth?! Any explanation on this?

Thanks in adv.

1. Yep. Orguss was done by Studio Nue / Haruhiko Mikimoto also, and the animators put it in as an in-joke (it was the show that replaced Macross when Macross ended its broadcast run in the "Super DImension" timelsot from Takatoku.)

2. They become VERY important in Macross 7. The Supervision Army is actually the Varauta, a type of "super Zentradi" that the PCs developed to "watch the watchmen," so to speak. These got infected by "protodevlin" who were used as the powersource (intelligent, but not wise, these PCs were) and started making zombies out of PC miclones and Zentradi, which foermed the core of the Supervision Army. The army was shattered after the Protodevlin were sealed away by the PCs and now the Zentradi is just going on mopping-up expiditions.

3. It was necessary for the plot. They wanted Hikaru and Misa to fall in love, have kids and go away ont he colony mission, so she had to survive. Besides, there were other survivors (on the moon and in the Grand Cannon) but they weren't main characters, so nothing was said about them on screen.

What's this Zentredi mech?

That is the Nousdejaul-Ger (sp? :blink: ), the Zentran equivalent of the Queadlunn-Rau.

Here's some more information on it. :)

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/zentradi/ae..._ger/index.html

2. They become VERY important in Macross 7. The Supervision Army is actually the Varauta, a type of "super Zentradi" that the PCs developed to "watch the watchmen," so to speak. These got infected by "protodevlin" who were used as the powersource (intelligent, but not wise, these PCs were) and started making zombies out of PC miclones and Zentradi, which foermed the core of the Supervision Army. The army was shattered after the Protodevlin were sealed away by the PCs and now the Zentradi is just going on mopping-up expiditions.

2) No. The Supervision Army is important to Superdimensional Fortress Macross, not Macross 7. The Varauta Army and the Supervision Army are 2 seperate forces and should never be confused as one even through their origins stem from the Protodevlin. The Varauta Army consists of brainwashed remanents of the Megaroad-13/Varauta-Planetary Survey group. The Supervision Army are brainwashed Protoculture and Zentradi. And you ask why didn't the Protodevlin just regroup the Supervision Army in M7....

The army was shattered after the Protodevlin were sealed away by the PCs and now the Zentradi is just going on mopping-up expiditions.

That's why they created the Varauta Army.

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...0000/index.html

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...2040/index.html

3) Sole survivor???? Eh? Misa may have been the only survivor of Alaska base but Earth still had lots of other bases and shelters that could not be contacted. Just because Misa didn't get a signal from elsewhere doesn't mean they were all wiped out.

How did Shoji Kawamori earn the nickname Great Froating Head, anyway? I've heard it a lot here, but must have missed something.

2) No. The Supervision Army is important to Superdimensional Fortress Macross, not Macross 7. The Varauta Army and the Supervision Army are 2 seperate forces and should never be confused as one even through their origins stem from the Protodevlin. The Varauta Army consists of brainwashed remanents of the Megaroad-13/Varauta-Planetary Survey group. The Supervision Army are  brainwashed Protoculture and Zentradi. And you ask why didn't the Protodevlin just regroup the Supervision Army in M7....

No, Azrael, they aren't terribly important to the plot of SDFM. The Suprevision Army, in SDFM, is a MacGuffin, that drives the plot into the beginning, where it's taken over by the Zentradi. The SA is in the shadows and basically out of commission in SDFM -- think of the later Star Wars novels, where the Emperor is dead and gone, yet his actions still leave echoes. While the SA is mentioned, and is the reason for the Zentradi attacking Earth, we do not meet a Supervision Army soldier, see a manned, operating SA ship, or see batles with the SA in the series.

The Supervision Army (or Varauta, if you will) is the MAIN SOURCE OF CONFLICT of Mac 7, the main villains. And since it's the same leadership, (the Protodevlin) I lump the two together. On that, you're right, and they are two seperate entities, but under the same leaders.

Edited by Pat Payne

How did Shoji Kawamori earn the nickname Great Froating Head, anyway? I've heard it a lot here, but must have missed something.

Somebody posted a picture of an etherial head of Shoji Kawamori smiting the forces of darkness and evil (in other words, HG :p). Ever since, we've called Kawamori-sensei "the holy floating head" or in a slightly un-PC pronounciation, "the hoary froating head."

No, Azrael, they aren't terribly important to the plot of SDFM. The Suprevision Army, in SDFM, is a MacGuffin, that drives the plot into the beginning, where it's taken over by the Zentradi. The SA is in the shadows and basically out of commission in SDFM -- think of the later Star Wars novels, where the Emperor is dead and gone, yet his actions still leave echoes. While the SA is mentioned, and is the reason for the Zentradi attacking Earth, we do not meet a Supervision Army soldier, see a manned, operating SA ship, or see batles with the SA in the series.

The Supervision Army (or Varauta, if you will) is the MAIN SOURCE OF CONFLICT of Mac 7, the main villains. And since it's the same leadership, (the Protodevlin) I lump the two together. On that, you're right, and they are two seperate entities, but under the same leaders.

Yes, they aren't terribly important. But, if you want to know what SDF-1 Macross was, what the Zentradi were (are) hunting, and etc..., then they are important. If it wasn't for a Supervision Army gunboat dropping out of the sky... :) Yes, you are correct that the Supervision Army never makes an appearence in SDF, but they do serve to fill elements in the background story of SDFM. And, the SA doesn't come into M7 at all. It is the Varauta Army that comes into focus. And the Varauta Army is not the Supervision Army. Regardless of the Protodevlin, they are 2 seperate entities and should never be considered the same. In good Star Wars fashion, the Army of the the Republic and the Galactic Empire are both controlled by the same being, Palpatine, however are 2 seperate entities. The Republic is not the Empire, and vice versa. Same with the Supervision and the Varauta. :)

How did Shoji Kawamori earn the nickname Great Froating Head, anyway?  I've heard it a lot here, but must have missed something.

Somebody posted a picture of an etherial head of Shoji Kawamori smiting the forces of darkness and evil (in other words, HG :p). Ever since, we've called Kawamori-sensei "the holy floating head" or in a slightly un-PC pronounciation, "the hoary froating head."

Anybody got a copy of that picture still? That would be great to see.

I have only seen the first episode of Macross 7 Dynamite, and it looked like the M7 fleet was rebuilding Battle 7. Was that the case, or what? Just curious.