Newbie Questions on Macross

One bit I noticed though, the VF-0 uses a DYRL style side-stick and not the central stick and seems to lack the B-G-F transformation switches seen in the VF-1.

The easiest way to bring that in-line with the rest of the continuity is to consider that one of the technologies being tested on the VF-0.

And once it was established as sound, with clear advantages over the existing VF-1 cockpit, they began introducing it into the VF-1 lines.

While it's not clear when the Block 6 design was introduced, it isn't a huge concern.

Most of the VFs we see in the TV series are from the earlier runs. The Macross didn't have access to the Earth's assembly lines after it left, and the ship's limited resources could be better spent in areas other than VF cockpit upgrades and pilot retraining.

Most of the Valks still on Earth were destroyed in the final Zentradi assault, limiting the appearance of later blocks in the post-war arc.

Certainly, replacements would be built over the two years between the final battle and the post-awr arc, but it makes sense* to assign them to new pilots and leave the veterans with their old planes. Hence, Hikaru is always in the repaired Skull-1, with it's first-gen cockpit, for the post-war arc. And he's the one we see the most of.

*Both from a rebuilding standpoint(a replacement plane isn't expanding the force) and a training standpoint(the guys that survived SW1 are intimately familiar with the old cockpit, so put the new guys in Block 6 planes and don't waste time retraining the old-timers until much later).

Hello everyone,

Newbie to Macross here. I've watched the old Macross/Robotech series as a child and I loved it. I've recently returned to collecting and I have been really interested in revisiting some of these Macross toys. I had a Valkyrie from way back when, but now there are so many different brands and models, it's kind of hard to figure out where I want to start.

I have been collecting Revoltech for a while now and I've got all the Macross ones (Valkyries and Regult), and now I want some actual transforming ones. I'm not a completionist, or scale collector, so none of that really matters to me. I am a size person, in that I don't really like huge toys clogging up my shelves. Prefer the smaller ones (articulation is important. Not interested in buying any bricks). I've been looking at Toynami's 1/100 Max and Milia Jenius Valkyries as a good place to start. I've heard the quality is pretty decent. Along with Wave's SDF-1, although the price on that one is kind of steep (wondering if it's worth it. Can grab it off Ebay for about $100 - $110). That's what actually got me really interested again, seeing that SDF-1, which I think looks fantastic, but can't make up my mind on.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I'd love to hear it!

Cheers,

pud333 :D

I once gave an explanation on how Thermonuclear reaction engines would work in theory, but it was pretty lengthy, also the compendium has its own explanation which indicates more than just nuclear fusion is going on in the engines. Basically from what I have to go on, the nuclear engines use nuclear fusion (most likely a form of fusion rather than fission, safer and better energy, it is the 'future' after all) to heat up an inert gas into a plasma form to create thrust. In atmosphere, the gas being heated up is just the air collected in the engine from the intakes, but it space the valkyrie uses a supply of an on board gas, most likely hydrogen. This is the same concept for future nuclear rockets that may be used to go to Mars, with nuclear reactors heating up hydrogen to plasma which becomes the exhaust. Vernier Thrusters are just smaller versions of the Reaction Control System thrusters (or RCS thrusters for short), what the fighter uses to turn and control its attitude in space, whereas in an atmosphere is using it's wings and stabilizers to manipulate air flow across them to turn. Since there is no air in space it turns with RCS and vernier thrusters, but the main propulsion is always from the Thermonuclear reaction engines, its just a difference of where the gas being heated is coming from.

Minimal? The VF-1 has 18 low-thrust verniers and 4 high-thrust verniers without any FAST Packs. I'd say that's plenty :)

you guys answered my question and then some, I love this forum.

Well, welcome to MW, pub333! :)

Well, I had seen most MW members recommend 1/55 Bandai valks if you ever get a hand of it. They have a sturdy body, and has a good articulation for a 80s toy.

Anyway, this is not the right forum to ask your question. You should go to Toys forum instead.

Okay, no prob! thanks for the info. I'll post my question there.

you guys answered my question and then some, I love this forum.

Yeah it's pretty good, I tend to overdo it sometimes, nice to know it helped.

Here is my question which may be quite newbish knowing me. I know what HOTAS stands for (Hands on Throttle and Stick) but for what exactly is it used? This recent talk about cockpit operations made me think of that, I assume it is related.

Edited by Master Dex

HOTAS is a control system which allows many systems of an aircraft to be operated via buttons, switches, etc. on the control stick and throttle, so the pilot doesn't need to take his hands off of the stick and throttle as often as he would on an aircraft with the older style control systems.

I guess then it does go in hand with the newer cockpit styling where you can transform by manipulating the throttle stick instead of hitting another switch. Thanks.

A (silly) question: where do the VF-1 launch from SDF-1 Macross, in both TV and DYRL version? I saw this picture from Macross Mecha Manual, but isn't that part of hangar sealed when it's docked with Daedalus?

And in Macross F, where do the VF-171 and Macross Quarter launch from?

Once the SDF-1 had the Prometheus attached, they most likely used it to launch and store the Valkyries.

In DYRL we clearly see the Valkyries launching from the ARMD carriers.

In Frontier, the VF-171's were launching from the various carrier ships assigned to the Frontier fleet. The only thing that's not clear in the series is where exactly on Frontier the Macross Quarter is berthed.

Another question, I was reading mecha specs on the macross mecha manual(Mr.march rules) and came across the VF-1X Plus the 2047 modernized version of the original, I was wondering if this version could reach the atmosphere's ceiling without the aid of escape boosters?

Edited by LordDremen

Another question, I was reading mecha specs on the macross mecha manual(Mr.march rules) and came across the VF-1X Plus the 2047 modernized version of the original, I was wondering if this version could reach the atmosphere's ceiling without the aid of escape boosters?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but in Macross 7:Dynamite, there's a VF-1 whale hunter variant that can reach orbit without the escape booster (just with the booster pack). Even the original VF-1S are able to reach atmosphere ceiling, when Roy rescue Hikaru, they flew directly into Macross which is in orbit I think.