Newbie Questions on Macross

During the time the Protoculture were at their height, was there just one all encompassing galactic government (Stellar Republic) 

That one. Think of the United Federation of Planets in Star Trek. :)

Edited by azrael

This just bugged me recently.  When VF's are in space are the intakes covered or not?

Should be.

Otherwise you risk debris flying into your turbines.

Not only that, but there's nothing to 'take in'

the vacuum of space might even suck out the fuel through the intakes

This just bugged me recently.  When VF's are in space are the intakes covered or not?

Should be.

Otherwise you risk debris flying into your turbines.

Not only that, but there's nothing to 'take in'

the vacuum of space might even suck out the fuel through the intakes

:o

The VF-1 doesn't have liquid fuel... nuclear powered! ;)

To clarify my question, they pretty much SORT of disowned the TV series as part of Macross and shoved in DYRL? to take its place didn't they? I know thatDYRL? was a movie depicting the events of the TV series, but it really looks like the creators have based prequels and sequels of Macross exclusively off DYRL?.

In addition to what Azrael said:

My understanding is that the sequels (except Macross II) follow up on the TV series. However, the designs of the characters and mecha in DYRL are now considered canon.

So. . . the answer is (I believe):

Story = SDF Macross (TV)

Appareance = DYRL

Or, to put it another way, just imagine all the cooler looking mecha, uniforms, and characters from DYRL doing exactly what they did in SDF Macross, and you've got the canon "vision" of the Macross universe.

I could be wrong though.

H

To clarify my question, they pretty much SORT of disowned the TV series as part of Macross and shoved in DYRL? to take its place didn't they? I know thatDYRL? was a movie depicting the events of the TV series, but it really looks like the creators have based prequels and sequels of Macross exclusively off DYRL?.

In addition to what Azrael said:

My understanding is that the sequels (except Macross II) follow up on the TV series. However, the designs of the characters and mecha in DYRL are now considered canon.

So. . . the answer is (I believe):

Story = SDF Macross (TV)

Appareance = DYRL

Or, to put it another way, just imagine all the cooler looking mecha, uniforms, and characters from DYRL doing exactly what they did in SDF Macross, and you've got the canon "vision" of the Macross universe.

I could be wrong though.

H

I have a feeling its a little bit more than just appearance as the stories seem to kind of mish mash together. I think in DYRL both the Prometheus and Daedalus were destroyed on earth and we see the Macross with the ARMD platforms while in the TV series, the Daedalus saved their asses more than once and even sent Hikaru to the hospital. ARMD-1 attack? I don't think so. It's been said before that DYRL can be thought of as a movie within the Macross Universe which retells the original story with some embellishment. However, seeing as how all other series are modeling themselves after DYRL rather than SDF TV, it might be better to consider the TV series as the fictional movie, and DYRL movie and game, as what really happened.

Hi,

I dont know where to post this question...

I recently rewatched the Robotech: Macross Saga episodes, i haven't got to watch the orignal

SDF-Macross on DVD yet, which i'm planing to buy very soon. I also never watched RT: The Masters

and RT: New Generation (and dont' plan to) but i did see the original MOSPEDA:GC

I remember when i was young, 7-8 years old i think, or even younger, i saw a scene where Rick is getting married

to Lisa. I wasn't sure if i saw it on VHS or TV (too young to remember). Anyways this was not in the

RT: Macross Saga collection. Was this in SDF-Macross? or is it another "hurting" RT thing.

Like i said i was too young to remember anything, can someone clairify this to me?

If this never happend then i must of gone crazy.

I'm sorry if i posted in the wrong topic.

Thanks,

Mark aka MacBoy29

Hi,

I dont know where to post this question...

I recently rewatched the Robotech: Macross Saga episodes, i haven't got to watch the orignal

SDF-Macross on DVD yet, which i'm planing to buy very soon. I also never watched RT: The Masters

and RT: New Generation (and dont' plan to) but i did see the original MOSPEDA:GC

I remember when i was young, 7-8 years old i think, or even younger, i saw a scene where Rick is getting married

to Lisa. I wasn't sure if i saw it on VHS or TV (too young to remember). Anyways this was not in the

RT: Macross Saga collection. Was this in SDF-Macross? or is it another "hurting" RT thing.

Like i said i was too young to remember anything, can someone clairify this to me?

If this never happend then i must of gone crazy.

I'm sorry if i posted in the wrong topic.

Thanks,

Mark aka MacBoy29

I think the marriage you saw was in Robotech 2: The Sentinels, which was aired as a TV movie in a vastly incomplete form(since they only made the first 4 episodes).

Though Hikaru and Misa did wind up married in Macross.

Well, about the Daedelus and Prometheus being replaced by ARMDs. . .

I think this is just one of those things that we're all supposed to just say: "Ah hell, let it go. . ."

I've seen it posted that the ARMDs were refitted onto the Macross when it was repaired after having its right arm torn off in the final episode.

But, really, I think it's just a case of the artists saying: "Hey, they told us to use the new line art from here on out. . ." Thus you have the DYRL designs.

Isn't it "canon" that the TV series is the official timeline? I thought that was "official" to some degree. Did Kawamori or Big West or anyone else originally say this?

H

ARMD-1 attack?  I don't think so.

Oh, and why not!?!

Put some pinpoint barriers on the front of an ARMD and it would kick some @$$. :)

H

They showed it in the DYRL PS1/Saturn game

Well, about the Daedelus and Prometheus being replaced by ARMDs. . .

I think this is just one of those things that we're all supposed to just say: "Ah hell, let it go. . ."

I've seen it posted that the ARMDs were refitted onto the Macross when it was repaired after having its right arm torn off in the final episode.

But, really, I think it's just a case of the artists saying: "Hey, they told us to use the new line art from here on out. . ." Thus you have the DYRL designs.

The ARMDs were the original docking plan for the TV series anyways.

The only reason Daedalus and Prometheus were there is Britai blocked the ARMD docking maneuver in the TV series, which was followed by a fold gone wrong, leaving them with a lot of extra people to defend, and a lot less equipment than they were supposed to have.

The Daedalus and Prometheus gave them more stuff and a place to store it. The Daedalus' destroids replaced the weapons of the ARMDs and the Prometheus' VF-1s replaced the fighters of the ARMDs.

It makes a lot of sense as long as you're overhauling the Macross to replace a jury-rigged retrofit with the parts that were made to go there.

The ARMDs were the original docking plan for the TV series anyways. The only reason Daedalus and Prometheus were there is Britai blocked the ARMD docking maneuver in the TV series. . .

Hey now! Don't be thinking I didn't know that! :p

With regards to Sound Force, what are the valk names for each member?

I know Basara pilots the VF-19. Mylene pilots a VF-11 but what is it's exact model name. Also, What does Ray and Viffidas pilot?

Gamlin pilots the VF-17 correct? Is this the stealth valkyrie every body refers to?

With regards to Sound Force, what are the valk names for each member?

I know Basara pilots the VF-19. Mylene pilots a VF-11 but what is it's exact model name. Also, What does Ray and Viffidas pilot?

Gamlin pilots the VF-17 correct? Is this the stealth valkyrie every body refers to?

Basara has a custom VF-19, mylene a custom VF-11MAXL, and Ray/Veffidas a custon VF-17T.

Yes the VF-17 Nightmare that Diamond Force uses is the stealth valk.

I was just looking at gunpod on my low-vis VF-1A and was wondering why does the gunpod extend when its being used by a valk in battroid mode? I'm guessing it helps compensate recoil and balances the gun more evenly in the valks hands. Also, in gerwalk mode, is the gunpod used in extended or compact mode?

I was just looking at gunpod on my low-vis VF-1A and was wondering why does the gunpod extend when its being used by a valk in battroid mode? I'm guessing it helps compensate recoil and balances the gun more evenly in the valks hands. Also, in gerwalk mode, is the gunpod used in extended or compact mode?

First question: Probably. However, if you look at it in fighter mode, if the gunpod was extended in fighter mode, it would stick out a bit. Heck, that gunpod sticks out a bit anyways.

2nd question: Extended.

(courtesy of Graham)

low-vis-13.jpg

I decided to watch the 20th Anniversary DVD, there is some great CG in the beginning/introduction rock song. It's Hikaru's VF-1S just above Earth dodging a barrage of missiles in all three modes and striking the familiar (VF-1J) pose (from the introduction in the TV series).

Who did this CG animation? Is it the same arthouse that's doing Macross Zero's animation? :ph34r:

How many humans, besides those on Macross, survived Space War I? It looked like none in DYRL? Is it true that the survivors used cloning to repopulate the Earth?

Did Kawamori design the Az-130? The Fz-109 design is in the Macross Mecha Design book but not the Az-130.

Yes. The key to this is that the Fz-109 and the Az-130 are essentially the same design. Just as the Fz-109 was a derivative of the VF-14 design, the Az-130 is a derivative of the VA-14. The transformation of the 2 are exactly the same. The only difference is the look of the 2 fighters. Kawamori designed the VF-14 and the VA-14. But the VA-14 is just a re-designed VF-14. The Az-130 is just a redesigned VA-14. So it all stems from the VF-14, which Kawamori designed.

Ironically the FZ-109 was designed originally for the early version of what eventually became Escaflowne.

There is a good amount of action through out the entire series but the most would have to take place during the last 6 or so episode. We get to see Max and Miriya in the VF-22. :) The ending parts of the Planet Lux arc has some good valk action as well.

Which episodes of Macross 7 have the most mecha action? (and the least singing cutesy moments)

Just about every eps after eps25. The Planet Lux story arc is unusually good for Macross 7. And as someone else mentioned.... the last 10 episodes have alot of action.... and singing. :)

Geeze been a while since I posted last...Damn, lost my incredibly huge post count of 80 accumulated over a couple years! :p

Anyways, yeah the YF-19 did fire its lasers, I'm pretty sure it did anyways. It was during the second episode of the OAV, when the YF-19 and 21 were going through all those tests, it flew by shooting both the lasers and its gunpod (maybe other times but I don't remember any right now).

I pretty sure it is the stock that is the clip for the GU-15. When Isamu and Guld are fighting in the fourth episode, Isamu reloads right before the 21 bursts through the building 19 was using as cover. And I'm pretty sure the stock falls off when he does reload.