Newbie Questions on Macross

Ok, here's a question I haven't seen addressed anywhere...

My understanding is that the civilian populace (Macross City) on board the SDF-1 was located in the aft portions of the ship, forward of the main drives, and somewhere in the upper region of deck structure. One would assume that the plan of the 'city' would be in a longitudinal postion relative to the ship. All is well and good.

However, when the Macross makes its return to earth, in transformed [or strike] shape, wouldn't the city be literally and figuratively 'turned on its ear' by the Macross' return to Earth-normal gravity? Is this compensated by the ships' grav generators, or inertial fields, or what? Or is it just another case of anime-magic?

Or am I completely mistaken about the whole thing, and a retard for reading waay too much into this? :lol:

Edited by Hiriyu

Also, it coulda always been vertically aligned rather than horizontally aligned (in space, there is no "up" or "down," remember? :) ) or the city may have been on rotating plates so that they were always aligned "up" in relation to the ship's position.

Also, it coulda always been vertically aligned rather than horizontally aligned (in space, there is no "up" or "down," remember? :) )

Yep, but then again that doesn't explain the same circumstance when the SDF-1 is in 'cruiser' shape while earthbound (and both configurations, with the city onboard, are shown in the SDF series <_< ). Unless, the city is on swivel plates as you mention - just seems to be the long way around...

Any other ideas? (Mods, sorry if this is too far off the Q&A charter of this thread)

Also, it coulda always been vertically aligned rather than horizontally aligned (in space, there is no "up" or "down," remember? :) )

Yep, but then again that doesn't explain the same circumstance when the SDF-1 is in 'cruiser' shape while earthbound (and both configurations, with the city onboard, are shown in the SDF series <_< ). Unless, the city is on swivel plates as you mention - just seems to be the long way around...

Any other ideas? (Mods, sorry if this is too far off the Q&A charter of this thread)

This really isn't addressed too much in the series. My best guess would be it is caused by the artificial gravity on board. If the city did rotate, that would be a lot of rotating blocks to move. I doubt they had the time to reconfig an entire section of the ship just to rotate when in Strike mode.

If the city was placed in horizontal position relative to the Cruiser-mode

changing into Force-mode any acceleration (now vertically for the city)could be dampened by increasing the power of the artificial gravitieplates

BTW although not seen in TV, in DYRL I believe you see cars driving over the ceiling

What's the latest reaosn given why DYRL?" hasn't been release Stateside? Last I heard it was something along the lines of no one knew who owned the rights, or the people who did weren't going to give it up...

What's the latest reaosn given why DYRL?" hasn't been release Stateside? Last I heard it was something along the lines of no one knew who owned the rights, or the people who did weren't going to give it up...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...26&t=153&st=260

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

From Animeigo's panel at AWA:

They will not release the Macross DYRL movie. Nobody will be releasing the DYRL movie: many companies claim to have it. Even if you offer all of them money, they won't let a US distributor have it because they don't want the other companies to get any money.

I was wondering if there's any official storyline for Isamu after the events of M+. I have a fic in the works, but thinking of rewriting it to use Isamu and the -19.

It's a fan fic.....you can do whatever you want.....I mean if you want Isamu to die a horrible death and Guld to come out on top...go ahead...it's your fan fic.

It's a fan fic.....you can do whatever you want.....I mean if you want Isamu to die a horrible death and Guld to come out on top...go ahead...it's your fan fic.

I know. I'm not new to the fan fic arena but the fic in question I was planning to rewrite so it'd revolve around Isamu would be post-MacPlus, thus the question I asked.

I'm not new to the fan fic arena but the fic in question I was planning to rewrite so it'd revolve around Isamu would be post-MacPlus, thus the question I asked.

We don't know what happens to the boy. He probably got together with Myung. But beyond that, it's up to your imagination as a writer. Good luck. :)

Speaking of the Macross's city, is it in the legs or the main body?

Legs. There may have been sections in the main body but that probably would have been reserved for military personel and storage. The majority was located in the legs.

I noticed a tape available in fansub circles called: "Macross: A Future Chronicle"

What is this? Have I missed a critical volume in macross history?

IIRC, it was a quick run down of the Macross timeline that went up to just before M7 began to air. There isn't much in there that isn't covered at the Compendium. It's a collector's item.

Was it by any chance included on the 20th anniversary DVD?

Did it have a stand alone Japanese release?

What was the running time and release year?

1. Macross: A Future Chronicle was NOT included on the 20th Anniversary DVD. But there WAS a slight timeline included on the DVD.......it just wasn't the same.

2. I don't think it had a stand alone Japanese release. The FIRST time I saw Macross: A Future Chronicle was AFTER the first OAV of Macross Plus (Japanese release VHS w/ no SUBS.....back in 1994).

3. Not too sure about the run time (I'm guessing maybe four to five minutes) and the release year was during the first OAV of M+.

B)

Casting everything else aside, does the word "Macross" have any meaning in the english language?

I think my Oxford is out of date. ;):) But seriously does it? I don't really expect an answer, just curious.

Casting everything else aside, does the word "Macross" have any meaning in the english language?

I think my Oxford is out of date.  ;)  :)  But seriously does it? I don't really expect an answer, just curious.

Well, the origin of the word for the series came from a cross between "megaroad"/"megaload" (indistinguishable in Japanese AFAIK) and "Macbeth" (as pronounced in Japanese, it's "Makubesu"). Details in the Animeigo liner notes, which were fortuitously posted to Usenet.

As for an actual meaning in English, none that I'm aware of. I remember getting excited when I first heard of "macros" (i.e., programmable shortcuts for performing multiple computer operations), but there's no connection. The closest meaning would be as a derivative of "macro-", meaning "big" (actually, "long" in Greek). I don't know if Kawamori et. al. ever intended it, but we could suppose that the name is short for "Macro Star Ship".

I think my Oxford is out of date.  ;)  :)  But seriously does it? I don't really expect an answer, just curious.

Well, the origin of the word for the series came from a cross between "megaroad"/"megaload" (indistinguishable in Japanese AFAIK) and "Macbeth" (as pronounced in Japanese, it's "Makubesu"). Details in the Animeigo liner notes, which were fortuitously posted to Usenet.

As for an actual meaning in English, none that I'm aware of. I remember getting excited when I first heard of "macros" (i.e., programmable shortcuts for performing multiple computer operations), but there's no connection. The closest meaning would be as a derivative of "macro-", meaning "big" (actually, "long" in Greek). I don't know if Kawamori et. al. ever intended it, but we could suppose that the name is short for "Macro Star Ship".

Cool! Thanks. That question just popped into my mind suddenly last night. Your answer is interesting and could well be right.

I was watching DYRL again, and in that scene where Misa, Hikaru, and Claudia are standing in Global's office, Claudia is standing in front of a board with somw pics ans on has a weired looking ship near the Moon. It doesn't look like anything in the UN or Zentran fleets. It's angular but doesn't really lok like any Meltran ship I"ve seen, does anyone know what that ship is?

I was watching DYRL again, and in that scene where Misa, Hikaru, and Claudia are standing in Global's office, Claudia is standing in front of a board with somw pics ans on has a weired looking ship near the Moon. It doesn't look like anything in the UN or Zentran fleets. It's angular but doesn't really lok like any Meltran ship I"ve seen, does anyone know what that ship is?

Kinda hard to tell. A disorganized-look to me so it might be space dock.

Do those ruins in Macross Zero have anything to do with the Protoculture city in DRYL, like is it the cannon version of the ruins?
There are no ruins in M0. Just the AFOS relic.

Question. There is a point in Macross Saga of Robotech where Max fighting and then tell's Rick about a move he is about to do call Fokker's Fake(I think it was that). I could have been when Max and Ben were first assigned to Rick.

Does Max say anything similar to Hikaru in SDF Macross during that fight? If so is it called the same thing or something different?

Thanks.

Question. There is a point in Macross Saga of Robotech where Max fighting and then tell's Rick about a move he is about to do call Fokker's Fake(I think it was that). I could have been when Max and Ben were first assigned to Rick.

Does Max say anything similar to Hikaru in SDF Macross during that fight? If so is it called the same thing or something different?

Thanks.

I think that was more Robotech "creative writing."

Thanks.

You might be refering to Max first skirmish. He does a bunch of Ace like stunts that leave Hikaru and Kakizaki baffled. He doesn't name the manuvers(sp), he simply says "I thought this might've made things easier........ or whatever". :)

It would be easier if you could "pinpoint" when the said scene was supposed to happen. :)

Does anyone know the origin of the term 'Gerwalk'. I know that the Japlish can get pretty crazy in Macross sometimes (with Macbeth/Megaroad/Megaload etc) but what was Kawamori's influence to name the intermdiate mode between fighter and battloid, gerwalk? Does it have any English language origins?

Does anyone know the origin of the term 'Gerwalk'. I know that the Japlish can get pretty crazy in Macross sometimes (with Macbeth/Megaroad/Megaload etc) but what was Kawamori's influence to name the intermdiate mode between fighter and battloid, gerwalk? Does it have any English language origins?

Ground Effective Reinforcement of Winged Armament with Locomotive Knee-joint

I kid you not.

Edited by imode