Newbie Questions on Macross

That cockpit shot is most like of the VF-11B he was piloting in the earlier part of the show when Guld lost control of the YF-21.

Ah... ok. Thanx. :)

What exactly is this thing for ?

I even notice it on the cars(of macross city) and the jump suits of Hikaru and Misa.

Good question... :blink:

I even notice it on the cars(of macross city) and the jump suits of Hikaru and Misa.

on the VF-1 its a tiedown point... so stuff doesn't float away in zero gravity situations... I would assume its the same for cars as well.

Also think of how suddenly alot of the deaths in the air were. Did Kakizaki have time to think about ejecting?

In the TV series he did.

Not that it would've made things any better for him.

Also think of how suddenly alot of the deaths in the air were. Did Kakizaki have time to think about ejecting?

In the TV series he did.

Did he? hmm... I dont remember that. :unsure:

In the TV series he did.

Did he? hmm... I dont remember that. :unsure:

The barrier explosion took long enough to rip through his valk that he had plenty of time to yank the lever.

Which would've just gotten him fried marginally faster.

Most likely just design styling?

on the VF-1 its a tiedown point... so stuff doesn't float away in zero gravity situations... I would assume its the same for cars as well.

On the VF-1, it is not just a tie-down point. Underneath the bar is a vernier.

Graham

The YF/VF-19 does not use a face curtain.

Oh, and yeah... even tho in some pictures the 19 doesnt have it. In this one it does... ;)

macplus.jpg

it's actually the vf-11. Notice that theres no visibles LCD/TFTs or diplay in the sides and in the bottom of isamu.

Anyway thanks to axrael for this:

It's known as a face curtain.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/ejection-seat1.htm

Modern ejection seats use the middle handle system as opposed to the face curtain. Although, there are models incorporate both a face curtain and a middle handle still in use. The "face curtain" design is to protect your head from debris and other nasty stuff upon ejection in addition to holding down your head. A similar method is used by passengers on commercial airliners (for those of you who have flown, remember the safety briefing before every flight).

BTW here's something i noticed while watching Macross Zero (AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!)

http://users3.ev1.net/~sinime/anime_pictur...oss-zero-13.jpg

Could somebody tell me what's wrong with roy's helmet? that does'nt look like the skull squadron logo to me.

Edited by grss1982

:blink:

Uhh... ooookay.

hellohikaru already pointed out it was the VF-11.

and... umm... yeah, azrael pointed that out no more than like... a page ago. But I guess it doesnt hurt to repeat it... again... and again. :blink:

Could somebody tell me what's wrong with roy's helmet? that does'nt look like the skull squadron logo to me.

Yeah....it had a thunderbolt underneath, probably just a stylised version of it.

It's also a pretty weak skull.

actually i thought this was one of the vernier thrusters. its what it looks like on the 1/48 scale model im building you have to put photoetched pieces on all of them.

post-2-1110227893.gif

Edited by HWR MKII

One more thing... I take it you cant eject from Battroid mode? :unsure:

Hmm... maybe they are train to take care of their Valk instead of injecting from it just cuz if they get hit in Battroid mode, they wont be able to do too much about it. :blink: Maybe? Hmm... oh well. Theres just some things that wont have a concrete answer. :p

Didn't see this earlier.

The VF-1 allows battroid ejection.

Head pops off and the pilot is launched out of the "neck".

Hikaru did this once in the TV series. Then Britai snatched him out of the air.

Why in the macross universe the humans continue to developt new advanced valkyrie when the problem are indeed the pilots?

Because war is a racket and defense contractors always need to be fed. Taxpayers' money pays for research&development of new technology promptly exploited by private corporations. Incidentally, those who profit from war are always in the back row of the government, although only their spokeperson ends up in history text books, leaving only a display of propaganda used at the time that matches with what Benedetto Croce called Phantasie Politik, as opposed to Real Politik which is why a state really wages war.

But this is anime, situation is a bit different yet money must still circulate to feed economy by selling new toys out of an old franchise.

FV

Why in the macross universe the humans continue to developt new advanced valkyrie when the problem are indeed the pilots?

From a real-world standpoint, it's because unpiloted mechs are lame unless you're watching Transformers.

From an anime-world standpoint... would YOU invest in more AI after the Sharon Apple incident?

From a real-world standpoint, it's because unpiloted mechs are lame unless you're watching Transformers.

From an anime-world standpoint... would YOU invest in more AI after the Sharon Apple incident?

My question was just ajoke, i'm just impressed how much the avarage UN pilots sucks.

Train them better.

My question was just ajoke, i'm just impressed how much the avarage UN pilots sucks.

Train them better.

Oh. I thought it was a commentary on how real-world jets are exceeding the forces a human pilot can take without passing out, much less Macross-universe stuff like the YF-21.

• 3 weeks later...

Not trying to step on anyone nationality here, but during WW II, Germany and Japans pilots were getting fewer and fewer and they had to throw partially trained people in thier ships as the war went on. They could have meant the same in the shows. But you are right the advrage pilot didnt fair to well.

I was amazed how they were able to build new ships, I mean Valks, with limited resources, but then that is what we love about the show, Anime Magic.

Goshawk, I think that is a pretty good theory for why most of the brownie pilots suck. I suppose its better to send someone poorly trained out who manages to kill or damage a few enemy mechs before dying, then keep them in training and get completely wiped out during an attack because there aren't enough pilots to fend off a group of attackers. At least it makes sense for Space War One, not sure how viable the theory is for later on in the Macross Universe.

Goshawk, I think that is a pretty good theory for why most of the brownie pilots suck. I suppose its better to send someone poorly trained out who manages to kill or damage a few enemy mechs before dying, then keep them in training and get completely wiped out during an attack because there aren't enough pilots to fend off a group of attackers. At least it makes sense for Space War One, not sure how viable the theory is for later on in the Macross Universe.

That's a lot of it. You have to remember that when the Macross was blasted out to the ass edge of the Solar System, there was only roughly 75,000 people on board, and zero access to the 6,000,000,000 people on that third rock from the sun. They were under constant attack by the Zents, and had no time for the niceties of full training, and so went with "just enough so you don't kill yourselves." That sort of sink-or-swim environment could explain why there seem to be only two types of pilots: the damn-near-Newtypes (like Max, Hikaru and Roy) and the pitifully mediocre (everyone in a tan VF).

But also, nobody IIRC had done fighter-to-fighter dogfighting in space up to that point, or at least precious little, and there were no organized tactics for VF fighting at all, as the craft had only been invented a couple of years earlier and the first generation of VF pilots were still flying them -- and consequently making up the rules as they went along. Think of WW1 fighter pilots like Oswald Boelke who had to make up all aircraft combat strategy (which is still in use today) on the fly while still overcoming a natural tendency to think of strategy in 2 1/2 dimensions. Experimentation like that is necessarily costly in lives until you finally hit on getting it right.

That's a lot of it. You have to remember that when the Macross was blasted out to the ass edge of the Solar System, there was only roughly 75,000 people on board, and zero access to the 6,000,000,000 people on that third rock from the sun. They were under constant attack by the Zents, and had no time for the niceties of full training, and so went with "just enough so you don't kill yourselves." That sort of sink-or-swim environment could explain why there seem to be only two types of pilots: the damn-near-Newtypes (like Max, Hikaru and Roy) and the pitifully mediocre (everyone in a tan VF).

There was SOME selectiveness, though.

Max and Kakizaki both tested well. It just turned out that only one of them was good in a real fight.

Kakizaki may've been shaping up to be a decent pilot, but the barrier overload killed him. Not really his fault.

But also, nobody IIRC had done fighter-to-fighter dogfighting in space up to that point, or at least precious little, and there were no organized tactics for VF fighting at all, as the craft had only been invented a couple of years earlier and the first generation of VF pilots were still flying them -- and consequently making up the rules as they went along. Think of WW1 fighter pilots like Oswald Boelke who had to make up all aircraft combat strategy (which is still in use today) on the fly while still overcoming a natural tendency to think of strategy in 2 1/2 dimensions. Experimentation like that is necessarily costly in lives until you finally hit on getting it right.

To make matters worse, the VF-1 wasn't exactly a great space fighter anyways. It was our first try, and we made a lot of mistakes.

Hence the FAST packs. More thrust, more reaction mass, more verniers.

OK now excuse me if I sound dumb, and Im being serious, what is Internet Relay Chat? Is that like PM or like Instant Messaging? Kinda confused now....

Chat rooms. Dun think MacrossWorld has an IRC channel.

I wasn't sure why you asked about it, but figured I'd cover the bases.

Thx guys. The instant relay chat hting threw me off. My friends have mIRC program so I guess thats what it is, in taht case I getcha. Thx guys. :)

mIRC is an IRC client.

Despite common belief, it's not the best one(IMO), or the only one, or the original one, but it IS the most popular one.

Here's one for the vets....Fold Engines. I've read tons of pages and sites about them, but what I'd like to know is, what kind of navigation system do you use for such a device? Are XYZ coordinates used, or is the 360 degree system used in shows like Star Trek used?

Or am I asking a question that has no real answer? :blink:

Here's one for the vets....Fold Engines. I've read tons of pages and sites about them, but what I'd like to know is, what kind of navigation system do you use for such a device? Are XYZ coordinates used, or is the 360 degree system used in shows like Star Trek used?

Or am I asking a question that has no real answer? :blink:

There is no real answer for this. The coordinate system for folding is unknown since we don't know what it is relative to, the center of the universe or the position of the ship relative to the it's destination.

I was just curious though, why is the pin point barrier system featured in macross sdf, plus and 7 different from one another.

I mean in sdf the pbs is some kind of white sphere that moves all around the SDF-1.

But in plus the pbs on the yf-19 and yf-21 are semitransparent or tranparent as if they were shields made out of thin air. Remeber guld when he balled the vf-21's fist and isamu when he lost his gunpod?

Then in macross 7 its back to the SDF type PBS but in mecha scale.

Whats up with that?

In addition, what the heck does IMO and IMHO mean? i only know IIRC, which stand for If I Recall Correctly.

Edited by grss1982

I would assume the PPBS system only got more advance in Macross Plus that they could make it a small enough device for mecha protection. It still only covers a limited area at one time though.

IMO=In my opinion

IMHO=In my humble opinion

Edited by hellohikaru

I was just curious though, why is the pin point barrier system featured in macross sdf, plus and 7 different from one another.

I mean in sdf the pbs is some kind of white sphere that moves all around the SDF-1.

But in plus the pbs on the yf-19 and yf-21 are semitransparent or tranparent as if they were shields made out of thin air. Remeber guld when he balled the vf-21's fist and isamu when he lost his gunpod?

Then in macross 7 its back to the SDF type PBS but in mecha scale.

Whats up with that?

In addition, what the heck does IMO and IMHO mean? i only know IIRC, which stand for If I Recall Correctly.

Presumably budget concerns.

Macross Plus was a high-budget production(for Macross). They had the time and money to pull out all the stops, and threw every last spiffy trick in there.

Macross 7 was a lower budget production. And on a tighter schedule, too.

And the original SDF Macross was a notoriously cheap show, if I recall.

IMO = in my opinion.

IMHO = in my humble opinion.

IMNSHO = in my not-so-humble opinion.