Newbie Questions on Macross

Can a valk stall? Like I mean going straight up.

PM David Hingtgen about it. He could probably go into the details about it.

have only seen the first episode of Macross 7 Dynamite, and it looked like the M7 fleet was rebuilding Battle 7. Was that the case, or what?

Yes.

Can a valk stall? Like I mean going straight up.

Any plane will stall if there's not enough airflow going over the portions of the plane that generates lift (usually the wings). In order for a plane to go straight up and still have sufficient lift, requires brute force. I don't know how much, but basically, the engines need to supply enough thrust to maintain lift. I know the F-15 is one of the few planes in the world that can actually do this, but I'm unsure as to wether or not a Valk can do it.

If a plane is going straight up, and doesn't maintain a high enough forward movement, it will stall and or spin out. Both are nasty things when you're close to the ground.

Errmm... what is protodevlin? Are they a race like the proto culture?

The army was shattered after the Protodevlin were sealed away by the PCs and now the Zentradi is just going on mopping-up expiditions.

Are Zentradi still under the control of PC and instructed to "mop-up" the Supervision Army?

If the Supervision Army is the elite "super Zentradi", how would the Zentradi be able to match up? I remembered Milia mentioned just before she micronized herself that she has been fighting SA for "thousands of years", and have never lost a single battle, but yet she lost to Max. So the SA are not that super afterall huh? :p Also referring to Milia's comments, are there any info on the life-span of Zentradi? Are they so similar to humans except the size?

3) Sole survivor???? Eh? Misa may have been the only survivor of Alaska base but Earth still had lots of other bases and shelters that could not be contacted. Just because Misa didn't get a signal from elsewhere doesn't mean they were all wiped out.

Agreed there may be other survivors elsewhere. But it's so "unreal" that ONLY Misa could survive in that comms room, while ALL OTHERS DIED?!! What happened to others in the room? just dropped dead? IMHO, very lame for this part.

Overall, I really loved watching Macross. I've only seen it on TV when I was a kid, and recently just got the DVDs - I really enjoyed it. So I think I will get the other titles from the series.

I know this has been asked a million times but I would like to know the correct sequence of the Macross series (only the animated parts). I would like to get the other titles in the series. The compendium is too wordy for me... :p

Thanx!

Edited by Shun

I know this has been asked a million times but I would like to know the correct sequence of the Macross series (only the animated parts). I would like to get the other titles in the series. The compendium is too wordy for me... :p

Timeline wise...

Macross Zero -> SDF Macross/DYRL -> Flashback 2012 -> Macross Plus -> Macross 7

There's also Macross II that takes place pretty far in the future, but that's from an alternate universe and doesn't figure in story-wise with anything else.

Errmm... what is protodevlin? Are they a race like the proto culture?

Eeep......Rather than waste board space and piss off Roy with a long explaination, read the follow:

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...0000/index.html

http://www.steelfalcon.com/Macross/protodeviln.html

Are Zentradi still under the control of PC and instructed to "mop-up" the Supervision Army?

If the Supervision Army is the elite "super Zentradi", how would the Zentradi be able to match up? I remembered Milia mentioned just before she micronized herself that she has been fighting SA for "thousands of years", and have never lost a single battle, but yet she lost to Max. So the SA are not that super afterall huh?

-The Zentradi have always been under the control of Protoculture. However, with Protoculture being wiped out, they had their orders to wipe out the Supervision Army. ALL of it. Again, read this:

http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...0000/index.html

-The Supervision Army are not "elite Zentradi". They are brainwashed Zentradi and Protoculture.

Read: http://www.anime.net/macross/story/chronol...0000/index.html

Also referring to Milia's comments, are there any info on the life-span of Zentradi?

-No not really. The creators have never gone into a whole lot of detail concerning age.

Are they so similar to humans except the size?

-We really don't have that info. http://www.anime.net/macross/story/encyclo...radi/index.html

Just to reiterate this again, here are a few sites for people to read :)

http://www.anime.net/macross/

http://protoculture.lebhead.com/

Also referring to Milia's comments, are there any info on the life-span of Zentradi?

-No not really. The creators have never gone into a whole lot of detail concerning age.

Although this is in no way canonical, I would assume that Zenradi have roughly the normal lifespan of a human. There would be little benefit to having extended lifespans -- it's just wasted effort when you're churning out a clone army by the bushel. We do know that they have an accelerated training/rearing program -- Millia was a veteran of hundreds of battles at only 16. But we also know that some Zentradi get old enough to where they are useless in battle, for instance Bakorela, Kamujin's gunner during the intimidation barrage against the Macross. Now how old he is is a mystery.

How did Shoji Kawamori earn the nickname Great Froating Head, anyway?  I've heard it a lot here, but must have missed something.

Back in December of 2001, AnimEigo was about to release their remastered SDF-Macross boxset. The had published some pics on their site to show how hard they were working to get the sets out in time for the holidays. One fo the pics was of Shin Kurokawa, who headed the remastering, holding a boxset over his coworkers who were all abjectedly bowing to the boxset. AdianK, resident photoshop guru, added a picture of Kawamori's head ripped from a Yamato 1/60 promo to this pic with added lightning effects. The lightening came from Kawamori's eyes and shot to the boxset which then shot to all of the bowing workers in a "blessing" of sorts. Because of this floating picture of Kawamori's head, he has since been called the Floating Head, but in Engrish would be the Froating Head.

There you have it.

vinnie

EDIT IN: If anyone has a copy of this picture please post it so that our newer brethen may be blessed by the Hory Froating Head.

Edited by justvinnie

Although this is in no way canonical, I would assume that Zenradi have roughly the normal lifespan of a human. There would be little benefit to having extended lifespans -- it's just wasted effort when you're churning out a clone army by the bushel. We do know that they have an accelerated training/rearing program -- Millia was a veteran of hundreds of battles at only 16. But we also know that some Zentradi get old enough to where they are useless in battle, for instance Bakorela, Kamujin's gunner during the intimidation barrage against the Macross. Now how old he is is a mystery.

Another way to think about it is the Zentradi are as old in terms of when they emerge out of the tube. Zentradi are "born" at some age where they are almost adults. Let's say they come out around 16-18 years of natural human age. When they emerge is when they are "born" so if they came out only a month ago, they are 1 month old. The reason I use this is because Vrlitwhai (or Britai if you wish) is roughly 34 years old. Now, he doesn't look it. He looks more like a good looking 40-50 year old. Okay, I can hear the Millia-pick-up lines now so I'll leave it at that. Again, this is my reasoning and there are other things to consider that I can think of for the Zentradi ages so don't quote me on it.

How did Shoji Kawamori earn the nickname Great Froating Head, anyway?  I've heard it a lot here, but must have missed something.

vinnie

EDIT IN: If anyone has a copy of this picture please post it so that our newer brethen may be blessed by the Hory Froating Head.

Hahaha, now this I gotta see.

Hey guys, thanks for your patience in answering my newbie questions. ;) Now I know the big picture regarding PC, protodeviln, zentredi and the supervision army. So the supervision army never appeared in any of the animated series huh?

I would also like to see this Froating Head picture. haha! :lol:

I would also like to see this fabled picture of the Hory Froating Head.

Question time - In the 1984 theatrical release of DYRL. Was Tenshi No Enogu also included (video AND audio tracks) with the ending credits? I always thought that Flashback 2012 was released some years after DYRL originally aired. Yet, on my FX DVD of DYRL we see Lynn Minmay singing that famous song (as if it ALWAYS belonged at the end).

Well? :ph34r:

The versions released after the mid-'90s are, for lack of a better term, the "director's cut." Ishiguro, Kawamori, et. al, had wanted to do a final concert sequence at the end of the film featuring "Tenshi no Enogu," but literally ran out of money before they could film it (other scenes axed in this way included a wedding scene between Max and Millia which would have explained how he joined the Meltran forces). When Flashback 2012 was made in '87, it was deemed the proper ending for boty Macross TV and DYRL that neither were able to get (Macross TV was supposed to end with a sequence showing the liftoff of the Megaroad). Finally, Kawamori appended parts of the FB 2012 concert to the ending of the film to make for the ending concert sequence.

In the original theatrical/VHS version, the credits rolled over a black background as "Tenshi no Enogu" played.

Edited by Pat Payne

For: Gubaba

A couple things here...

First off, there are only seven Protodeviln total, right?

Second, if that's true, and they were all frozen for millennia, who was controlling the Supervision Army for all those years?

I'm just curious...I never quite got that part of it...

And, uh, forgive me if this has all been covered before.

There are actually 8 Protodevilin, though Goram and Zomd are like the two who act as one, they are seperate.

The Supervision Army was originally controlled by the Protoculture. The Protodevilin and Geperunichi took a large chunk of the Supervision Army to use to their own ends. Obviously when they were sealed on Varauta 3198xe, the Protoculture under their control were released.

I think you are mistaking the Supervision Army of old with the new one in Macross 7. In Macross 7, the first soldiers mind-controlled to operate Geperunichi's new Supervision Army were of the Megaroad 13 Colonization Fleet.

For more info, consult my Protodevilin website by clicking here. If you can't find the answer there or don't understand something, feel free to PM me or something.

It's a little old, so forgive some spelling and grammar errors. Other than that, it has almost all the information you can find and my own observations and studies of the Protodevilin throughout the Macross 7 series.

Edited by Tekkaman Blade

A couple things here...

Second, if that's true, and they were all frozen for millennia, who was controlling the Supervision Army for all those years?

There are actually 8 Protodevilin, though Goram and Zomd are like the two who act as one, they are seperate.

The Supervision Army was originally controlled by the Protoculture. The Protodevilin and Geperunichi took a large chunk of the Supervision Army to use to their own ends. Obviously when they were sealed on Varauta 3198xe, the Protoculture under their control were released.

I think you are mistaking the Supervision Army of old with the new one in Macross 7. In Macross 7, the first soldiers mind-controlled to operate Geperunichi's new Supervision Army were of the Megaroad 13 Colonization Fleet.

For more info, consult my Protodevilin website by clicking here. If you can't find the answer there or don't understand something, feel free to PM me or something.

It's a little old, so forgive some spelling and grammar errors. Other than that, it has almost all the information you can find and my own observations and studies of the Protodevilin throughout the Macross 7 series.

I don't believe this is correct. I have always thought that:

1st.

The Protoculture created the Meltohlauedy and Zjentohlauedy

Then

The Protoculture created the Protodevlin, who used mind controll and brain (spiritia) draining (for lack of a better description) to control many of the Protoculture people. They also took control of many parts of the Meltohlauedy and Zjentohlauedy armies to create the Supervisional army.

This is the army that the Meltohlauedy and Zjentohlauedy fought with for thousands of years, a war which eventually eliminated the existence of the Protoculture in total.

Well, the way I said it might be wrong, but yes, the Supervision Army was comprised of Protoculture peoples, Meltohlauedy and Zjentohlauedy from the Steller Republic.

Yes, the war between the Supervision Army and the Zjentohlauedy is what made the collapse of the Steller Republic because they lost control of the Zjentohlauedy and the Supervision were a main enemy.

By my observation though, you don't see any Zjentohlauedy or Meltohlauedy in Macross 7 and the exact phisiology of the Protoculture is unknown (though the representational hologram seemed to look humanoid). So it was my theory that the Protodevilin never recovered their original Supervision Army, so they created a new one with the left over Protoculture ships and the human/micronized Zjentohlauedy Colonists from Megaroad 13.

I'm unsure as to who was controlling the former Supervision Army, but it's my guess that they (being mind controlled) were set on orders to attack the Zjentohlauedy and Protoculture and when their masters, the Protodevilin, were sealed, they probably got stuck on those orders. (Which may also be why you don't see very many Supervision Army ships in Macross TV because they didn't have orders to build up the fleet or get new soldiers, just to fight the Zjentohlauedy, whereas the Zjentohlauedy built up their fleets and clones as they still had Badolza in charge of them)

Ack...people, stop calling the Varauta Army the Supervison Army. They are 2 seperate entities. And you're going to confuse the hell out of people.

By my observation though, you don't see any Zjentohlauedy or Meltohlauedy in Macross 7 and the exact phisiology of the Protoculture is unknown (though the representational hologram seemed to look humanoid).

We don't see any Zjentohlauedy or Meltohlauedy in M7.....as a race or as an opposing force? Because we see lots of them as a race....

So it was my theory that the Protodevilin never recovered their original Supervision Army, so they created a new one with the left over Protoculture ships and the human/micronized Zjentohlauedy Colonists from Megaroad 13.

2 years isn't much time to recover your former, scattered, and almost worthless army. Just brainwash another one. :)

I'm unsure as to who was controlling the former Supervision Army, but it's my guess that they (being mind controlled) were set on orders to attack the Zjentohlauedy and Protoculture and when their masters, the Protodevilin, were sealed, they probably got stuck on those orders.

Whether or not they had those orders or not, the SA was running and hiding. Perhaps leaving as many booby traps as possible.

By my observation though, you don't see any Zjentohlauedy or Meltohlauedy in Macross 7 and the exact phisiology of the Protoculture is unknown (though the representational hologram seemed to look humanoid).

We don't see any Zjentohlauedy or Meltohlauedy in M7.....as a race or as an opposing force? Because we see lots of them as a race....

Obviously I meant as an opposing force (not counting the extra episode, Fleet of the Strongest Women) :rolleyes:

A couple things here...

Thanks for the reply!

It doesn't really answer my question, though...I was probably unclear about it.

First off, having just finished watching M7 again, I can guarantee that there are only seven Protodeviln in the show...Gavil and Glavil were "one flesh," as they say. I was wondering if there were only those Protodeviln total, or if there are others out there (mostly, I'm thinking about the fanfic at MAHQ.net about the Megaroad...which has a PD in it. When I first read it, I thought it had to be an error, but after watching the show again, I'm not so sure).

Second, the Varauta Army really seemed to need a guiding hand in the form of a PD. If the PD created the Supervision Army as well, and then were sealed, I would imagine that the Supervision Army would turn into a bunch of catatonic, drooling idiots, and I really doubt it would take the Zentradi thousands of years to mop them up.

In other words, who supervised the supervisors?

Probably just one of those unanswerable questions, like what happened to the Megaroad, or how did Roy manage to age three years between 2008 and 2009...

Thanks for the reply!

It doesn't really answer my question, though...I was probably unclear about it.

First off, having just finished watching M7 again, I can guarantee that there are only seven Protodeviln in the show...Gavil and Glavil were "one flesh," as they say. I was wondering if there were only those Protodeviln total, or if there are others out there (mostly, I'm thinking about the fanfic at MAHQ.net about the Megaroad...which has a PD in it. When I first read it, I thought it had to be an error, but after watching the show again, I'm not so sure).

Second, the Varauta Army really seemed to need a guiding hand in the form of a PD. If the PD created the Supervision Army as well, and then were sealed, I would imagine that the Supervision Army would turn into a bunch of catatonic, drooling idiots, and I really doubt it would take the Zentradi thousands of years to mop them up.

In other words, who supervised the supervisors?

Probably just one of those unanswerable questions, like what happened to the Megaroad, or how did Roy manage to age three years between 2008 and 2009...

Supposedly, there are only those 7 Protodevilin that you see in the show. Technically, there are more in a Subuniverse where the Entities originated from that inhabited the EVIL.

If the Supervision Army was left a bunch of catatonics, I doubt the Zjentohlauedy would have felt so threatened by them as they made it seem in their talking about their war with them during the Macross TV series.

MY big question is if the Supervision Army was left capable, as it seems in Macross TV, why the hell didn't they go wake up the Protodevilin themselves? This is what leads me to still believe that the Supervision Army was stuck on some set of Orders or Directives. Like the Protodevilin were the wheel to the car, but after the wheel was taken out, it still keeps going. :blink:

Yeah...that's kind of what I was thinking...the Supervision Army can supervise themselves, in a way (and, apparently, design and build spacecraft as well).

And yeah...why DIDN'T they try to wake of Protodeviln? My guess is probably that they got to be as clueless about their origins as the Zentradi were.

I was always under the belief that the Supervision Army and the Protodevlin/Varuta were SEPARATE entities.

The big war between the Supervision Army and the Zentradi had been ongoing since Protoculture. We have never seen a Supervision Army fleet in action, but signs point they're being similar to the Zentradi. The supervision army belonged to one side part of Protoculture, and the Zentradi belonging to the other side of Protoculture, with those sides of Protoculture really being the ones at war with each other. The Protoculture eventually made the Protodevlin independently, and in the end could not control them, after they were "posessed" as it were. The Protodevlin enslaved the Megaroad 13 fleet after they stumbled on where they were imprisoned, creating the Varuta. In the temple during M7 they seemed to explain these aspects pretty well, except for Megaroad 13 bit. They didn't seem to explain that very well in the show, but it has been explained elsewhere.

We have only officially seen 2 Supervision Army ships, to my knowledge. The SDF-1 in its original form, and the "derelict" ship the gang came across on the way to the Zentradi factory station, which apparently according to source was gone when someone returned later to examine it. Some Varuta ships may be based off of Supervision Army designs but they were derivatives of the originals, built by the Varuta similar to the Fz-109 being derived from the VF-14, for example.

Well, that's what I used to think about the Supervision Army originally being the Protoculture military, but after reading this last year:

They covet Spiritia in order to continue existing as extra-dimensional beings in this universe. They begin invading the surrounding planets and systems using spaceships and weapons of people from the scientifically advanced planet that they brainwashed. (They later become known as the Supervision Army).
I hade to change my thinking because of that one.

None of the varauta ships were "based" off any designs, they were just plain stolen. Their Flagship was a Protoculture Super Carrier. All there vhessels were protoculture except for their FZ-109's Elgerzorenes and their AZ-130a Pantserzorene which were both variants of the VF-14 Hunter.

They could have stolen UN Spacy ships too, but you never see any signs that they did anything of the sort in the show.

Description of Varauta Fleet ships here

Valkyries, fighters and special combat units here

Nope, I don't remember. :blink: But this has gotten way past the Q&A format for which this topic was intended...

I agree. I think they problem was that someone thought I was asking a very basic, "Who are the Supervision Army?" question, which wasn't what I was asking at all.

What is the "S-type head" unit on the VF-1B? How is the head different from the VF-1A?

It's the head for the VF-1S on a VF-1A body. Simple, ne? :) it means that the VF-1B has the outward appearance of the -1S, but doesn't have the upgraded engines.

What is the "S-type head" unit on the VF-1B? How is the head different from the VF-1A?

It's the head for the VF-1S on a VF-1A body. Simple, ne? :) it means that the VF-1B has the outward appearance of the -1S, but doesn't have the upgraded engines.

Thanks. I actually thought about that, but I couln't be sure. The notes on Macross Mecha Designs aren't always that well detailed.

Edited by kensei

It has nothing to do with the head. In the Macross Universe (natch), DYRL is a history docufilm (kind of like Saving Private Ryan, Patton, or The Longest Day). The filmmakers in DYRL used VF-1X Valks to sub for the VF-1. The VF-1X was an upgraded VF-1 that outwardly looked very much like the original VF-1 but has upgraded engines, avionics, cockpit avionics and engines. Think of the differences between a 1976 F-14A and the latest upgraded SuperTomcats.