wyaxyz

bestofbothworlds01.jpg

Van Halen: The Best of Both Worlds

Warner Bros. Records, 2004

Roster

Eddie Van Halen - guitars, keyboards, vocals

Alex Van Halen - drums

Michael Anthony - bass

David Lee Roth - lead vocals (1978-1985, 1996)

Sammy Hagar - lead vocals (1985-1996, 2004)

Gary Cherone - lead vocals (1997-1999)

Track Listing

Disc 1

1. Eruption

2. It's About Time

3. Up For Breakfast

4. Learning to See

5. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

6. Finish What Ya Started

7. You Really Got Me

8. Dreams

9. Hot For Teacher

10. Poundcake

11. And the Cradle Will Rock...

12. Black and Blue

13. Jump

14. Top of the World

15. (Oh) Pretty Woman

16. Love Walks In

17. Beautiful Girls

18. Can't Stop Lovin' You

19. Unchained

Disc 2

1. Panama

2. Best of Both Worlds

3. Jamie's Cryin'

4. Runaround

5. I'll Wait

6. Why Can't This Be Love

7. Runnin' With the Devil

8. When It's Love

9. Dancing in the Street

10. Not Enough

11. Feels So Good

12. Right Now

13. Everybody Wants Some!!!

14. Dance the Night Away

15. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love (Live)

16. Panama (Live)

17. Jump (Live)

Lowdown

Hailing from Pasadena, CA, Van Halen has been one of the biggest moneymakers in music history. Formed by Dutch brothers Eddie and Alex Van Halen, bassist Michael Anthony and flamboyant vocalist David Lee Roth, their self-titled debut album in 1978 made rock fans aware of Eddie's uncanny experimentation with guitar sounds and Roth's off-the-wall antics - both of which conflicted with each other on practically every album released by the lineup.

From 1978 to 1983, Van Halen sold out concerts worldwide and generated a huge fan following. But it was in 1984 that the band reached its pinnacle. 1984 was released, and it spawned the band's biggest selling single "Jump." Success, however, was not without a heavy price; Roth left Van Halen in 1985 as disagreements between him and Eddie were beyond any control.

As Roth pursued a modestly successful solo career, Van Halen enlisted Sammy Hagar to take over as the band's lead vocalist. In 1986, the "Van Hagar" era began with the release of 5150. Despite hate and resentment by die-hard VH purists, the new lineup achieved more commercial success than they ever imagined. The four studio albums released during the Van Hagar era all hit #1 on Billboard's album charts and earned the band two Grammy nominations. Van Hagar even survived the grunge movement of the '90s, which saw the near-extinction of hair metal.

Of course, nothing lasts forever - especially Van Hagar. Conflict with the Van Halen brothers led to Hagar's unceremonious departure in 1996. Not too long afterwards, Roth found himself with the band once again, recording new songs for Van Halen: Best of Vol. 1. The reunion wasn't going to last from the get-go. Just like eleven years earlier, disagreements with Eddie resulted in Roth leaving Van Halen for good.

In 1997, Van Halen brought in Gary Cherone (formerly of the hair metal band Extreme) as lead vocalist for the band's 11th album Van Halen III. Needless to say, both Van Halen purists and Van Hagar fans hated the lineup (sometimes known as "Van Cherone"), and the album flopped. Cherone called it quits in 1999, and Van Halen was dormant for the next five years.

Those years off-stage were not good for Eddie. He underwent hip-replacement surgery and mouth cancer treatment. He separated with actress Valerie Bertinelli after 21 years of marriage in 2001; she filed for divorce four years later.

In 2004, Hagar reunited with the band to record new songs for yet another compilation CD titled The Best of Both Worlds. However, despite a hugely successful tour, Van Hagar once again died out - this time as a result of Eddie's uncontrollable drinking problem. Hagar left the band for good, and Van Halen was on indefinite hiatus. It was later on revealed that Michael Anthony also had his share of problems with the Van Halen brothers, as he did not perform bass on the compilation's new tracks and was paid very poorly on the band's last tour. As a matter of fact, the last time Van Halen recorded together as a band was on three tracks for the ill-fated Van Cherone stint.

Today, Hagar and Anthony remain close friends. Roth insists that a Van Halen reunion is inevitable. Alex isn't doing much while Eddie...well, your guess is as good as mine (click here at your own risk!).

In the meantime, pick up The Best of Both Worlds. Sure, VH purists will be turned off by the fact that Roth and Hagar songs alternate with each other throughout both discs, but it's good for first-time listeners who want to learn the differences between the two lineups. Disc 2 also includes three tracks from the band's first (and only) live CD Live: Right Here, Right Now. On the bright side, none of the Van Cherone recordings made it in this compilation.

Rating: B+

Links

Van Halen Official Site

Reference

Wikipedia

Edited by areaseven

Majestic,  you should check out a band called Destroid.  I first checked them out because of the name and they turned out to be a realy good Industrial/Synth-Pop band.  I did a post on them here :http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=13238

328318[/snapback]

I'm REALLY late to this party, but I just wanted to mention that Destroid (love the name) is actually a side project of Daniel Myer of Haujobb, one of my favorite industrial/electronic groups. Myer's a big sci-fi geek, so I'm fairly sure the name is a Macross reference. After all,

"Haujobb" is a (mis)translation of "Skin Job" from the german version of Blade Runner, so that should be a clue as to his interests.

Oh, and as far as music (my main passion besides Macross/SW), the following bands/albums are currently in rotation:

Code 64 - Departure (great synthpop band who bases a song on Captain Harlock-gotta love it)

Covenant - Skyshaper (one of the best in the EBM/synthpop genre, still at the top of their game)

Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel (ditto)

DJ Shadow - Live! In Tune & On Time

Edge of Dawn - The Flight [Lux]

Fad Gadget - The Best Of (synthpop fans take note: Depeche Mode used to open up for *him*)

The Faint - Wet From Birth

Front Line Assembly - Artificial Soldier

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere (it took the Star Wars outfits to grab my attention, but this rules!)

Haujobb - Solutions for a Small Planet (THE classic electro-industrial album)

Kattoo - Megrim

Ladytron - Witching Hour

Larvae - Dead Weight

MC Chris - Eating's Not Cheating

Monster Movie - All Lost

P·A·L - Modus

Saltillo - Ganglion (DJ Shadow fans take note)

Seabound - Beyond Flatline

She Wants Revenge - S/T

...and I still throw some Macross mixes on in the car from time to time. ;)

I've got pretty eclectic tastes.

Everything from Peter Gabriel to Judas Priest. to JS Bach.

As for driving music - depends on mood. Sometimes John Coltrane, or Miles Davis, others Pantera.

I'm also an eighties metal nerd. I own and love every single Winger album, and Metal Mania on VH1 Classic has a permanent season pass on tivo.

Time to shift gears on this thread. What songs do you consider as great driving music? It doesn't matter if it's rock, hip-hop, or even new age, as long as something you'd play all day on your car stereo.

411040[/snapback]

When you say driving music I think of songs that make my foot go deeper on the gas pedal subconciosly... songs that make me want to go on a pursuit chase either as pursuer or pursuee...

jesus built my hot rod - ministry

wish- Nine Inch Nails

nevermind, the entire album - nirvana

it's the end of the world -REM

bands include...

NIN

ogre

NIN

project pitchfork

NIN

orgy

NIN

leatherstrip

NIN

big black

NIN

black flag

NIN

manson

NIN

minute men

NIN

infected mushroom

NIN

akira soundtrack

NIN

gravity kills

NIN

primus

NIN

tool

NIN

I'll stop now... I am in a dark place at the moment

"{don't you worry

they won't find my ashes

I wan't you to know I found peace in a better world

don't keep digging

I wan't you to leave

back away from the place where my ashes are buried}"

and if anybody wants to hear some of this stuff I got stuck supplying my favorite dj with tracks and as such I have a vicarious radio spot that gets recorded... Hopefully nobody here at mw is as twisted as me... so pm me to maintain your facade ;)

• 3 weeks later...

gold01.jpg

KISS: Gold (1974-1982) ( キッス )

Mercury Records/Universal Music, 2005

Roster

Paul Stanley ("The Starchild") - lead and backing vocals, rhythm and lead guitars

Gene Simmons ("The Demon") - lead and backing vocals, bass

Ace Frehley ("The Spaceman") - lead and rhythm guitars, vocals (1974-1982)

Peter Criss ("The Cat") - drums, vocals (1974-1980)

Eric Carr ("The Fox") (1950-1991) - drums, vocals (1980-1991)

Other Musicians

Bob Ezrin - piano ("Beth"), electric piano ("A World Without Heroes")

Anton Fig - drums (Dynasty and Unmasked recordings)

Bob Kulick - lead guitar ("Nowhere to Run," "I'm a Legend Tonight")

Track Listing

Disc 1

1. Strutter

2. Nothin' to Lose

3. Firehouse

4. Deuce

5. Black Diamond

6. Got to Choose

7. Parasite

8. Hotter Than Hell

9. C'mon and Love Me

10. She

11. Anything For My Baby

12. Rock Bottom (Live)

13. Cold Gin (Live)

14. Rock and Roll All Nite (Live)

15. Let Me Go, Rock 'N Roll (Live)

16. Detroit Rock City

17. King of the Night Time World

18. Shout It Out Loud

19. Beth

20. Do You Love Me?

Disc 2

1. I Want You

2. Calling Dr. Love

3. Hard Luck Woman

4. I Stole Your Love

5. Love Gun

6. Christine Sixteen

7. Shock Me

8. Makin' Love (Live)

9. God of Thunder (Live)

10. Paul Stanley - Tonight You Belong To Me

11. Ace Frehley - New York Groove

12. Gene Simmons - Radioactive (Single Edit)

13. Peter Criss - Don't You Let Me Down

14. I Was Made For Loving You

15. Sure Know Something

16. Shandi

17. Talk to Me

18. A World Without Heroes

19. Nowhere to Run

20. I'm a Legend Tonight

"You wanted the best, you got the best! The hottest band in the world - KISS!"

The white-and-black face paint. The leather outfits and 7" platform boots. The grand spectacle of pyrotechnics and lights. Gene Simmons's ridiculously long tongue. For over 30 years, no band has mixed hard rock and theatricality the way KISS has. And while bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple planted the seeds of heavy metal, the New York-based quartet took that fledgling genre, mixed it with other elements of rock and spawned glam-rock to inspire the world to rock and roll all nite and party everyday. But like every rock band in history, KISS's road to success was anything but smooth. And their most recent compilation CD Gold is a testament to the rise and fall of their golden era.

"I wanna rock and roll all nite,

And party everyday

I wanna rock and roll all nite,

And party everyday." - "Rock and Roll All Nite"

Disc 1 focuses on KISS's climb to fame from their 1974 self-titled debut album to 1976's monster release Destroyer. The band's first three albums - including Hotter Than Hell (late-1974) and Dressed to Kill (1975) - spawned old-school favorites like "Strutter," "Firehouse," "Deuce" and "Black Diamond." And though the albums were commercial failures, KISS generated a cult following that spread like wildfire enough for their first crack at the charts - the 1975 live album Alive. Legions of fans started snapping up KISS merchandise, from posters to action figures and even Halloween costumes. Destroyer further cemented KISS's legacy with runaway hits like "Detroit Rock City," "Shout It Out Loud" and the down-to-earth ballad "Beth."

"Get up! Everybody's gonna move their feet,

Get down! Everybody's gonna leave their seat." - "Detroit Rock City"

But as you continue on to Disc 2, you'll slowly notice cracks on the band's foundation. KISS followed up the success of Destroyer with Rock & Roll Over (late-1976), Love Gun (1977) and Alive II (late-1977), featuring the songs "Calling Dr. Love," "Hard Luck Woman," and "Christine Sixteen." In 1978, KISS attempted an unusual marketing strategy with the simultaneous release of four albums from each band member, to further demonstrate their musical talents. Unfortunately, while they reached gold status, all four solo albums went to the bargain bin almost as soon as they arrived at record stores. A year later, KISS released Dynasty, which became their fastest-selling album and spawned the disco-oriented smash "I Was Made For Loving You." From this point on, fans started losing faith in KISS, seeing the quartet as sellouts to the pop industry. Making matters worse were tensions brewing between Paul & Gene and Ace & Peter. The latter two were abusing drugs and alcohol to the point where they stopped recording with the rest of the band and were merely around for appearances. (The 1997 studio album Psycho Circus was yet another example of such practice, though Ace and Peter were already sober.)

"I was made for loving you, baby,

You were made for loving me,

And I can't get enough of you, baby,

Can you get enough of me?" - "I Was Made for Loving You"

Using other musicians to record lead guitars and drums, KISS released Unmasked in 1980. Because of bubblegum-flavored songs like "Shandi," Unmasked is ranked among fans as the band's worst album. Eventually, KISS's golden era went in shambles with (Music From) The Elder (1981), an experimental album that was meant to be the soundtrack to a non-existent movie. By this time, Criss left the band, and Eric Carr stepped in as the new drummer. It wasn't until 1982's Creatures of the Night (which is, unfortunately, not covered in this compilation) that Carr's heavy drumming skills and a return to a raw, hard rock sound would usher in a new era for KISS (which will be covered on a future review). The disc ends with two tracks from the non-US compilation release Killers, which give a hint of what was to become KISS's music style in the '80s.

"A world without heroes

Is like a world without sun

You can't look up to anyone

Without heroes" - "A World Without Heroes"

Gold is just one of numerous compilation albums by KISS; and at nearly three hours, it's the longest-running. Because of Disc 2's content, it's not the greatest among the bunch (for that, pick up The Very Best of KISS), but for those who want to learn about KISS's entire legacy in at least one sitting, this is a good place to start. Gold gives people a chance to sample everything other compilations missed out on. It's also available in a deluxe Sound + Vision pack that includes a DVD copy of the 1987 documentary video KISS Exposed.

As long as rock 'n' roll is around, the music of KISS lives on.

Rating: B+

Links

KISS Online

BMG Japan's KISS Page

Reference

The KISSFAQ

Wikipedia

Majestic,  you should check out a band called Destroid.  I first checked them out because of the name and they turned out to be a realy good Industrial/Synth-Pop band.  I did a post on them here :http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=13238

328318[/snapback]

I'm REALLY late to this party, but I just wanted to mention that Destroid (love the name) is actually a side project of Daniel Myer of Haujobb, one of my favorite industrial/electronic groups. Myer's a big sci-fi geek, so I'm fairly sure the name is a Macross reference. After all,

"Haujobb" is a (mis)translation of "Skin Job" from the german version of Blade Runner, so that should be a clue as to his interests.

Oh, and as far as music (my main passion besides Macross/SW), the following bands/albums are currently in rotation:

Code 64 - Departure (great synthpop band who bases a song on Captain Harlock-gotta love it)

Covenant - Skyshaper (one of the best in the EBM/synthpop genre, still at the top of their game)

Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel (ditto)

DJ Shadow - Live! In Tune & On Time

Edge of Dawn - The Flight [Lux]

Fad Gadget - The Best Of (synthpop fans take note: Depeche Mode used to open up for *him*)

The Faint - Wet From Birth

Front Line Assembly - Artificial Soldier

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere (it took the Star Wars outfits to grab my attention, but this rules!)

Haujobb - Solutions for a Small Planet (THE classic electro-industrial album)

Kattoo - Megrim

Ladytron - Witching Hour

Larvae - Dead Weight

MC Chris - Eating's Not Cheating

Monster Movie - All Lost

P·A·L - Modus

Saltillo - Ganglion (DJ Shadow fans take note)

Seabound - Beyond Flatline

She Wants Revenge - S/T

...and I still throw some Macross mixes on in the car from time to time. ;)

411413[/snapback]

Freakin Sweet! Another Rivethead on this board! :)

I found out shortly after I posted that it was a Daniel Myer side-project, but there wasnt much interest here, so I didnt follow up with a post :) Have you heard if there will be a follow-up album? I would so be down for that. Those tracks stayed on my IPod for 10 months (I have a shuffle so room is limited)

I'm sure you have listend to HMB. I've never been a big fan of Calire Voyant, but there are some killer tracks on that album. Plus it has Dennis Ostermann from ISC on it (if you like ISC)

Whats in my CD player on the way to work right now:

La Floa Maldita - Salut Jacques

Laibach - Jesus Christ Superstar

Grendel - Soilbleed EP

Funker Vogt - Execution Tracks - Limted Edition B

ohGr - Sunnypsyop

ohGr - Welt

Informatik - Re:Vision

OMD - Best Of - European release

Diary Of Dreams - Freak Perfume

Edit: Hey, how is the new FLA? I really need to pick it up. I loved Civilization, so I hope this new release is in the same vein..

Edited by Totoro242

Right now, here's a sampling of what's on my iTunes:

The Destroyer "Soyokaze" -- Kenji Kawai

Twilight -- ELO

Glori in Excelsis Deo -- Gregorian Chant

Soul Man -- The Blues Brothers

Minnie the Moocher (the original 1931 recording) -- Cab Calloway

Ja Nus Hons Pris -- King Richard I Couer d'Lion

No God -- The Germs

Ai Oboeteimasuka? -- Like you don't know who sung THIS one... :p

Grosse Messe im C-Dur (Great Mass in C-Minor) -- Mozart

Xanadu -- Olivia Newton-John and ELO

The War song from "Duck Soup" -- The Marx Brothers

Survive -- The Bags

Powerhouse -- Raymond Scott

Message in a Bottle -- The Police

I Can't Hide -- Mari Iijima

Yesterday -- The Beatles

Accidents will Happen -- Elvis Costello

Totoro242,

Heh, I completely understand the surprise upon discovering other people out there who are not only into underground industrial/ebm/etc, but ALSO sport the good taste to like Macross! :) You, sir, are a welcome sight. I've been into this music for a huge chunk of my life, ever since I got my first taste of Nine Inch Nails and Skinny Puppy way back in the day. Since then, I've dj'd in both clubs and radio for many years and co-founded a local weekly night awhile back. After a bit of a fiasco with a shady club owner, that night collapsed, sadly, and I haven't been in the booth since. I still keep up to date with all the great stuff coming out, though, and find myself making mp3 mixes like crazy now. :D

I haven't heard any further news on Destroid, other than some tours across Europe this year. I'm excited that Haujobb's playing an unexpected NYC-only gig this Saturday. Since I live relatively nearby, I will definitely be heading out for that. Oh, and speaking of Daniel Myer's work, thank you for reminding me about HMB! Funny thing with that CD, I bought it in a big ol' Metropolis Records haul back in 2002 and never really got around to giving it a fair listen until...well, right now. :p There really are some strong tracks on this disc! I wonder why my first impressions weren't so favorable...? I also really enjoy Myer's work on Cleen/Cleaner and Architect.

Also, since you like the Haujobb sound, you should check out a project called Mnemonic on the Alfa Matrix label. They definitely have that Solutions for a Small Planet/Matrix type of vibe covered on their latest disc Konstruktive Vergangenheitsbewältigung (try saying that 3 times fast).

Judging by your list of CDs in rotation, we seem to have a lot common. La Floa Maldita is one of THE most under-appreciated female fronted bands of all time. Her voice is absolutely amazing. I think only the woman from Technoir comes anywhere near as close to sending so many shivers up my spine.

I am still bummed about Grendel and FLA's recent tours being cancelled due to some pretty crappy circumstances.

Speaking of FLA, their new one is... well, very good for a typical FLA cd. :rolleyes: It's definitely not as polished or melodic/Delerium-esque as Civilization (my second favorite disc by them, just barely outshined by Tactical Neural Implant). Not that this is a bad album by any stretch, but it was definitely a return-to-the-formula type of thing. The guest vocals by Jean-Luc De Meyer on track 8 are worth the price of admission alone, though I wish the same could be said about Eskil from Covenant's contribution. Eh, don't listen to me, just pick it up and see for yourself. It's still infinitely better than a lot of the bands out there today trying to mimic the sound. ;)

• 3 months later...

IPB Image

Paul Stanley: Live to Win

New Door Records/Universal Music, 2006

Produced by Paul Stanley

Track Listing

1. Live to Win

2. Lift

3. Wake Up Screaming

4. Everytime I See You Around

5. Bulletproof

6. All About You

7. Second to None

8. It's Not Me

9. Loving You Without You Now

10. Where Angels Dare

"Live to win, 'till you die,

'till the light dries in your eyes

Live to win, take it all,

Just keep fighting 'till you fall.

Day by day, kickin' all the way, I'm not cavin' in,

Let another round begin, live to win."

For over three decades, Paul Stanley has entertained millions around the world as the lead vocalist of the band KISS. This year, after a brief world tour, he's decided to take a break from the band and release his first solo album since his self-titled 1978 release.

Live to Win is not what you'd expect from a KISS-related album. In contrast to KISS's uncanny glam-rock sound, Stanley's new CD is a fusion of modern hard rock, '80s hair metal and '90s alternative. The title track blows you away with its motivational message to never give up on your goals in life. "Lift" is an inspiring Christian-like rock ballad (yeah, coming from a Jewish rock star). Other notable tracks include the fast-paced songs "Bulletproof" and "Where Angels Dare," as well as the ballads Everytime I See YOu Around" and "Loving You Without You Now."

Perhaps the biggest gripe about this CD is its relatively short running time. At a total time of 33 minutes, Live to Win could've had at least three more songs to make the playlist feel more substantial. At least it sounds much better than Gene Simmons' 2004 solo release @$$hole.

Live to Win is not a perfect album, but it's good to hear something different from KISS' frontman. And who would've thought that Trey Parker and Matt Stone picked the title track for use on the World of Warcraft episode of South Park?

"There were no obstacles in making this album, because the philosophy is the title: Live to Win. I believe that you set your goals, and you don't let anything get in the way of accomplishing them. Because if you live to win, you're always going to win, even if you don't succeed. If you fail on your own terms, you've won. So, I've set myself up to win. Just doing the album means I've won." - Paul Stanley

Rating: B

Links

Official Paul Stanley Website

Paul Stanley's Official MySpace Profile

The South Park/World of Warcraft Montage

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all over the place, but mostly Pop Will Eat Itself, and EBM/Darkwave music:

1. Pop Will Eat Itself

2. VNV Nation

3. Skinny Puppy

4. Alice In Chains

5. Front 242

6. Depeche Mode

7. Slipknot (it's so catchy!)

8. Imperative Reaction

9. Mindless Self Indulgence

10. Boom Boom Satellites

and many more...

And here's a badass EBM mix selection:

1. Arrogance- Imperative Reaction

2. Dark Angel (Apocolyptic mix)- VNV Nation

3. One (with the fire)- Front 242

4. Timekiller - Project Pitchfork

5. Maps of reality - Assemblage 23

6. Severed (Syn mix)- Imperative Reaction

7. Circling Overland (242 cover)- VNV Nation

8. Entropy - VNV Nation

9. Human - Assemblage 23

10. Together- Front 242

And some old school EBM:

1. Getting Closer- Nitzer Ebb

2. Tragedy for you- Front 242

3. KNKA- Project Pitchfork

4. Assimilate - Skinny Puppy

5. We Believe- Ministry

6. Overkill- Front line Assembly

7. Control (I'm here)- Nitzer Ebb

8. work 242 (NOFF is NOFF mix)- Front 242

9. What do you know, deutchland?- KMFDM

10. Pocket Calculator- Kraftwerk

11. Carrion- Project Pitchfork

Motley Crue, Van Halen (DLR era), Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Hendrix, The Beatles, Billy Joel, Elton John, WASP, Poison, KISS, Butch Walker, LA Guns, Velvet Revolver, Megadeth, The Cars, Journey, Def Leppard, Queen, Sirius satellite radio and various soundtracks such as Gladiator, Star Wars, and Superman. (I love listening to soundtracks when I'm working on any graphic arts!)

I've been on a punk kick lately, includes: Ramones, Clash, Balzac, Black flag, Dead Kennedys, Misfits (can't get enough), D.O.A., X, Damned.

Haven't really met anyone with similar tastes, But I'm in a small town.

Oddly enough, I don't like the sex pistols at all.

Edited by Abnolds

Personally I can't stand Motley Crue but this actually might make me go see thier movie lol

Christopher Walken to Play Ozzy in Crüe Movie

and Val Kilmer will be playing David Lee Roth in the movie :wacko: lol

I know there's a few Iron Maiden fans here. Do yourself a favor and go buy thier new CD "A Matter of Life and Death". It's proabably their best since Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. And Bruce Dickinson still is the best metal vocalist, period. And he can pull it off live unlike that clown Vince Neil...

Edited by dejr8bud

• 1 month later...

No idea if I have posted in this thread yet, but, what the hell...

On the iPod:

AC/DC, Aerosmith, Alanis Morrissette, Alice in Chains, Arctic Monkeys, The Bangles, Barenaked Ladies, The Beach Boys, The Beastie Boys, The Beatles, Billy Idol, Billy Joel, Bjork, Blondie, Bob Marley, The Brian Setzer Orchestra, Bruce Springsteen, The Clash, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cyndi Lauper, Depeche Mode, The Doobie Brothers, The Doors, Duran Duran, Elton John, Elvis Presley, Fiona Apple, Fleetwood Mac, Frank Sinatra, Garbage, Genesis, Goldfrapp, Guns N' Roses, Gwen Stefani, The Hives, Hole, Huey Lewis and The News, INXS, Jane's Addiction, Jewel, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Buffett, Joy Division, K.M.F.D.M., Led Zeppelin, Louis Prima, Madness, Madonna, Meat Loaf, Metallica, The Might Might Bosstones, New Order, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, No Doubt, Pat Benatar, Pearl Jam, Pixies, The Police, Prince, Queen, The Ramones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Rolling Stones, Run D.M.C., Soundgarden, The Specials, Stevie Wonder, Sting, Stone Temple Pilots, The Strokes, Sublime, The Sugarcubes, Talking Heads, Temple of the Dog, Tina Turner, The Toasters, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, U2, Van Halen, Vanessa Carlton, Velvet Revolver, The White Stripes, The Who, ZZ Top

Recently I had Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson & Megadeath on my MP3 plaer for nearly half a year, but have just changed to a mixture of Macross Plus & Macross 7 tracks.

My mum bought me Bob Dylon's new CD for Christmas, so I'll be converting it to MP3 soon, so I can listen to it on the way to work and back.

Graham

Listening to stuff I just picked up over Christmas

1. Kinks - RCA Years (Boxed set)

2. Jim Carroll - Pools of Mercury

3. Rock Kills Kid - RKK

4. Atari Teenage Riot - 60 Second Wipeout

5. The Alarm - Under Attack

6. Synergetic - Compilation One

7. Caroline - (Self Titled)

8. ALO Animal Liberation Orchestra - Fly Between Walls

9. Golden Earing - (Self Titled)

10. Audio Karate - Space Camp

11. Juniper Sky - Don't Forget

12. Conektor - (Self Titled)

13. Something For Rockets - (Self Titled)

14. The Distants - Broken Gold

15. The Legendary Pink Dots - Your Children Placate You From Premature Graves

16. VCR - Power Density

17. Hanover Saints - Blood, Guts, & Glory

It's going to be a great New Year. :D

Hmm, music, well since I was aware of my tastes in the 8th grade, they have changed over the last 8.5 years or so. Now the music fits my mood. But mostly now on the train ride home and to work I listen mostly to my 2.something hour long playlist of salsa or my favorite Merengue album, especially if I'm in a good mood and even when I'm stuck on duty. I gotta get my feet in step with Salsa's damn 8-beat pattern but my brain can only keep up with the 4-beat of Merengue and Bachata. :angry:

R&B is all for me and my semi-wife when things start to heat up. Hip Hop is reserved mostly for club outings with my friends. The J-Rock and Pop is mostly listened to on the train in rare occasions. Soundtracks like Ace Combat 0 and 5 usually when I'm trying to think of something creative. Rock is rare, but I think mostly when I do karaoke, the same with alternative.

Merengue

Salsa

Bachata

Hip Hop

R&B

Rock

J-Rock and Pop

Pop

Alternative

Electronica

Soundtracks

Instrumentals

I know there's a few Iron Maiden fans here. Do yourself a favor and go buy thier new CD "A Matter of Life and Death". It's proabably their best since Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. And Bruce Dickinson still is the best metal vocalist, period. And he can pull it off live unlike that clown Vince Neil...

Agreed. "A Matter of Life and Death" is a great album. I was kinda disappointed with "Dance of Death" because I dont think it was a good follow up to "A Brave New World" which I think is a great album and their best since "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son." Someoen here mentioned listening to Motorhead. And yeah Motorhaed is a great band. Best concert I have ever been too was with Motorhead and Dio opening up for Maiden. Man that was awesome.

Other stuff I listen to: Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Stone Temple Pilots, GnR, Eric Clapton/Cream, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, The Police, and alot of other bands. Basiclly classic rock/metal/blues is what I listen to.

Agreed. "A Matter of Life and Death" is a great album. I was kinda disappointed with "Dance of Death" because I dont think it was a good follow up to "A Brave New World" which I think is a great album and their best since "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son." Someoen here mentioned listening to Motorhead. And yeah Motorhaed is a great band. Best concert I have ever been too was with Motorhead and Dio opening up for Maiden. Man that was awesome.

Ya Brave New World is a great CD. I like that one almost as much as the new one. Dance of Death is ok. But overall, the three albums released since Bruce and Adrian have been back are really good. Better than No Prayer for the Dying(1990) and Fear of the Dark(1992). I won't mention the Blaze Bailey era... yuck :wacko:

I saw that tour you are talking about. My first Maiden show (of many)was when I was about 13 in 1987...ugh I'm old lol

I won't mention the Blaze Bailey era... yuck :wacko:

I saw that tour you are talking about. My first Maiden show (of many)was when I was about 13 in 1987...ugh I'm old lol

Ahhh Blaze Bailey. Actually I like "X-Factor" CD. I think it has some great songs. (Sign of the Cross, Man on the Edge, to name a few.) "Virtual XI" though is a horrible CD. I just cant listen to it. The problem with Blaze was he had some big shoes to fill and he just couldnt do it. My first Maiden show was in 1995 during the tour for X-Factor and while it was great seeing Maiden live, it just wasnt the same without Bruce. Blaze doing Bruce era songs sounded so bad. Blaze just didnt have the vocal range nor the energy to run around like a maniac on stage like Bruce does. Then again I saw Maiden for the Virtual XI tour and that was ok. But when I heard that Bruce and Adrian were back in Maiden I was happy beyond belief. I went to see the Ed Hunter tour and wow. I got goose bumps as the lights dimmed and Churchill's speech came over the P.A. Then when the lights came on and Maiden started with "Aces High" it was amazing.

Funny moment in that show. During "The Number of the Beast" Bruce lifted Dave on his shoulders like he always does. But I guess they forgot they arent the young band from back in the day and they both fell on stage. That was pretty funny.

I'm thinking about subscribing to Sirius as well, so I can tune into Howard Stern again. But, it's like $12 a month...lol...

• 4 months later...

According to a Yahoo! Music article...

OK, in utterly unrelated but equally fascinating news, Sacha Baron Cohen, the man behind the insanely funny but at times disturbingly homophobic Borat character, has been cast to play late, great, flamboyant Queen frontman Freddie Mercury in an upcoming biopic, tentatively titled Freddie: Cultural Learnings Of England For Make Benefit Glorious Music Of Queen. OK, we're just kidding about that title. But the rest of it is true. It does seem like an odd choice--what, was Mika or the Darkness's Justin Hawkins unavailable? But then again, when we think about how well Borat rocked that infamous unitard-thong (something we can imagine Freddie wearing onstage back in the day), or how ably and eerily Sacha can morph into his fouffy alter-ego character, Bruno, we think maybe, just maybe, he can pull it off. All we know is we cannot wait to see Borat's rendition of "Fat-Bottomed Girls" on the silver screen...