music

wyaxyz

I went to a Japanese rock/punk concert called ZAMZA. They are fun performers and it introduced me to a music style I never heard before!

Now

is a music style that you have probably never heard before.

Taksraven

Now
is a music style that you have probably never heard before.

Taksraven

I've heard that style before, it's called AWFUL. Actually, in all reality it seemed like another Punk/Alternative/Rockabilly blend.

On a strange Nirvana, Guns N Roses, Fear Factory (only remixes by FLA) and Zeromancer. Also some 80's like Howard Jones, New Order, and The Dream Academy.

I've heard that style before, it's called AWFUL. Actually, in all reality it seemed like another Punk/Alternative/Rockabilly blend.

On a strange Nirvana, Guns N Roses, Fear Factory (only remixes by FLA) and Zeromancer. Also some 80's like Howard Jones, New Order, and The Dream Academy.

Okay, well,

something that sounds like nothing you've heard before. Unless you have this album, that is.

Okay, well,
something that sounds like nothing you've heard before. Unless you have this album, that is.

I've heard that before, it's terrible! It's like every member is playing a different song. Sometimes, something can be so terrible it ends up good (ie: Falco or Devo) but that is just fowl...thank you for reminding me of it's exsistence...well, at least as a musician, I am reminded I'm not the worst out there.

I've heard that before, it's terrible! It's like every member is playing a different song. Sometimes, something can be so terrible it ends up good (ie: Falco or Devo) but that is just fowl...thank you for reminding me of it's exsistence...well, at least as a musician, I am reminded I'm not the worst out there.

Really? Every musician I've played that album for loves it (or already owns it).

The thing I find fascinating about the Shaggs is that it should be impossible to play that way. If I try to play or sing one of their songs, I automatically add more traditional rhythm than is actually there. They sound like they've had music described to them, but have never heard any.

Sometimes, something can be so terrible it ends up good (ie: Falco or Devo)

Using the word TERRIBLE to describe DEVO is a horrible sin. :p

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

Okay, well,

I LOVE it when we go off on one of those "Which music is more terrible" benders in this thread.

This is

(intentionally so, though), enjoy.

As for *real* music I have been enjoying lately, I am constantly going on Safari with the Breeders and am discovering the delights of Husker Du.

Taksraven

If nothing else, the Xenosaga series had some amazing boss battle themes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCTvSX4d-ck I still don't how to pronounce Metempsychosis; Ω Res Novae was at least mentioned in-game many times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAF3k7ak55U (it doesn't get *really* cool until 2 mins in)

As for *real* music I have been enjoying lately, I am constantly going on Safari with the Breeders and am discovering the delights of Husker Du.

Taksraven

Kim Deal hugged me once. I was quite thrilled.

I still don't how to pronounce Metempsychosis;

Molly Bloom would have you believe it's "met-him-pike-hoses," but she's wrong.

Kim Deal hugged me once. I was quite thrilled.

I think its fair that you explain how you managed to get a hug from the lovely Kim. (Getting a hug from both sisters at the same time would be truly awesome.)

The Amps once played at a festival here in Sydney and after the set the Deal sisters spent the rest of the day just wandering around the festival. Very cool.

Taksraven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCTvSX4d-ck I still don't how to pronounce Metempsychosis; Ω Res Novae was at least mentioned in-game many times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAF3k7ak55U (it doesn't get *really* cool until 2 mins in)

Just break up the word. Metem-psychosis. It's easier to pronounce that way (Muh-tem-sai-co-sis).

I seem to be listening to alot of Vocaloid songs and the One Ups thanks to my brother.

Also,

while I was looking at youtube for Escaflowne music...

I'd say it's not only limited to just boss battle themes. Also cool live, thanks for bring that to my attention. :)

Since buying my car, I've traditionaly been listening to a radio station which played a combination of music, all the way from electronic to rock and everything in between - most of it pretty good. However, because the radio station constantly broke MW rules about politics, and EVERY bit of commentary was political - and it was a political persuasion that I disagree with - it became progressively annoying (that word is a pun and no further elaboration will be made! ;) ) ... Anyways, at one point one of the political commentars started talking about environmentally friendly toys that she buys for her kids and I had enough. Despite the fact that I really like the music they played - I switched stations and surfed around for something else.

I found a great new station which plays something called Chillout Music.

Chillout music can basically be said to be anything from smooth jazz to slow rock - there's quite a bit of variety in it, but it's all very sensual, relaxing and basically makes me forget that I'm in a cold, grey, dark second world country and makes me feel like I'm cruising the streets of some tropical resort instead.

It's hard to name any specific groups or even songs - but I guess I'm just praising the general genre of Chillout music.

Sadly - they have one dude on there who does political commentary as well which totally RUINS the otherwise mellow escapism of this radio station - but I think he's only on like once a week, or maybe they just happened to interview him...anyways - they shouldn't do that because it runs counter to their station's purpose.

This post just goes to show that life itself would be better if the whole world lived by MW rules :)

Does anybody here listen to Chill Out music? Is it generally well known and popular and I have only now discovered it - or not?

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Using the word TERRIBLE to describe DEVO is a horrible sin. :p

Taksraven

Why? By their own admission, they think they suck. That's the appeal. They suck, but they suck so well that they're great. I love Devo, don't get me wrong. But are they going to be remembered as pioneers like Brian Eno, or as the goofy nerds in yellow suits and flower pot hats that come up with catchy synth hooks? Suddenly I wanna watch the end of Revenge of the nerds again.

Thanks to Gundam 00 I'm now obsessed with a band called The Brilliant Green, and the chick is smoking hot to boot...

Oh yeah, they're great.

Have you checked out her solo artist personas? Tommy feburary⁶ and Tommy heavenly⁶?

I recommend "Everyday at the Bus Stop" for starters. Done between the third and fourth Brilliant Green albums, and sounds VASTLY different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0WOWI4RV8

Oh yeah, they're great.

Have you checked out her solo artist personas? Tommy feburary⁶ and Tommy heavenly⁶?

I recommend "Everyday at the Bus Stop" for starters. Done between the third and fourth Brilliant Green albums, and sounds VASTLY different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0WOWI4RV8

Thanks, that's going on the ipod...very cool, reminscent of a poppier Boom Boom Satellites.

Just completed my dream collection...All the Pop Will Eat Itself releases on Vinyl!!!! Now for some Lo-fi bliss.

Kansas:

"Carry on Wayward Son"

"Dust in the Wind"

Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard:

"Pancho and Lefty"

Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings:

"Lucanbach, Texas"

The Highwaymen:

"The Highwaymen"

Toto:

"Rosanna"

"Africa" (I really love this song)

Def Leppard:

"Photograph"

"Animal"

* "Pour Some Sugar on Me"

"Let's Get Rocked"

ZZ Top:

* "Tube Snake Boogie"

* "Pearl Necklace"

"Legs"

"Sharp Dressed Man"

"Doubleback"

"My Head's in Mississippi"

"Le Grange" (Texas, that is)

*: You definately don't want to know what the lyrics really mean

They easily have one of the best stages acts of any band I've ever seen. They really play to the crowd and get them involved in songs. James even had a 2 minute conversation with an 11 year old kid front row. At the end of the show James personally handed him a guitar pick and one of Lars' drumsticks as a momento.

They easily have one of the best stages acts of any band I've ever seen. They really play to the crowd and get them involved in songs. James even had a 2 minute conversation with an 11 year old kid front row. At the end of the show James personally handed him a guitar pick and one of Lars' drumsticks as a momento.

The Metallica guys are such FRC's that they could have handed a guitar and a drum over to the kid, not just a token gesture.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven