music

wyaxyz

HEY!  Another fan of The Tea Party on the boards!  The Party is the best Canadian band in the history of popular music.  I own all their albums, Edges of Twilight and Transmission being my two, all time favorite albums from the Party.  I love the way they combine exotic world music with metal, industrial, and classic rock.  Makes for a very potent musical innovation and produces an extremely rich sound that's so indicative of Canada with it's broad cross-cultural population.  Love em :)

Audioslave is good too.  I like Shadow on the Sun; it's a great track.

Yeppers, The Tea Party do indeed rock! B))

http://www.teaparty.com/

Edges of Twighlight is my fav album of theirs. Their newest one... not so much. :huh: And Edges of Twighlight earned its place in Rock-n-Roll Valhalla for the song Raven Skies alone... :D

I'm always surprised that they haven't made it bigger in the U.S... I know they are well received in Australia and, of course, in their native Canada.. but they are plenty good enuff to blow the doors offa most bands that get airplay nowadays. As for the comparisons that are always made to Zep and the Doors... WTF? ... people say that like that's a bad thing?!? Well, yeah they have those influences... but they are definately their own band. Hell, if anything their are even more adventuresome with their use of exotic instruments... as opposed to just exotic tunings...

I'm fortunate living in the Detroit area, with Windsor, Canada being right across the river, as I've seen them live 4 or 5 times since '94. They're a sight to behold. For a trio to reproduce such 'complex' music in a live setting without tons of samples playing in the background is just stunning. I believe damn near ever song requires a different guitar tuning...

Anyhow, The Tea Party and my finacee are proof that good things come outta Canada. Oh, and Labatts... and Donairs... and *cough* the nudie strip clubs... :D

BTW, they will be at the Windsor Bluesfest on July 17... well worth a trip for anyone in the Chicago/Detroit/Toledo (Ohio)/Windsor/ Toronto area, IMO... http://www.thebluesfest.com/Windsor/

And also, from their news section..

The band will also support Def Leppard's Canadian tour this August.

So now you Canadians can check out Def Lep AND The Tea Party at one show! *in Napoleon Dynamite voice* Luuuuucky!!! :D (Which reminds me of a funny story... one time at Red Wings hockey game, the announcer - who was used to having to pronounce French Canadian hockey player names - was listing upcoming events and he announced Def Leppard with an accented 'E' so it sounded like dEf lEHpAHRD... LOL ...funniest thing ever! Well, OK maybe you have to be a metalhead and a hockey fan, but it was F'in funny I tell ya!!!)

(BTW, the new Audioslave album is more of the good stuff too!)

Yeppers, The Tea Party do indeed rock! B))

http://www.teaparty.com/

Edges of Twighlight is my fav album of theirs. Their newest one... not so much. :huh: And Edges of Twighlight earned its place in Rock-n-Roll Valhalla for the song Raven Skies alone... :D

I'm always surprised that they haven't made it bigger in the U.S... I know they are well received in Australia and, of course, in their native Canada.. but they are plenty good enuff to blow the doors offa most bands that get airplay nowadays. As for the comparisons that are always made to Zep and the Doors... WTF? ... people say that like that's a bad thing?!? Well, yeah they have those influences... but they are definately their own band. Hell, if anything their are even more adventuresome with their use of exotic instruments... as opposed to just exotic tunings...

I'm fortunate living in the Detroit area, with Windsor, Canada being right across the river, as I've seen them live 4 or 5 times since '94. They're a sight to behold. For a trio to reproduce such 'complex' music in a live setting without tons of samples playing in the background is just stunning. I believe damn near ever song requires a different guitar tuning...

Anyhow, The Tea Party and my finacee are proof that good things come outta Canada. Oh, and Labatts... and Donairs... and *cough* the nudie strip clubs... :D

BTW, they will be at the Windsor Bluesfest on July 17... well worth a trip for anyone in the Chicago/Detroit/Toledo (Ohio)/Windsor/ Toronto area, IMO... http://www.thebluesfest.com/Windsor/

And also, from their news section..

The band will also support Def Leppard's Canadian tour this August.

So now you Canadians can check out Def Lep AND The Tea Party at one show! *in Napoleon Dynamite voice* Luuuuucky!!! :D (Which reminds me of a funny story... one time at Red Wings hockey game, the announcer - who was used to having to pronounce French Canadian hockey player names - was listing upcoming events and he announced Def Leppard with an accented 'E' so it sounded like dEf lEHpAHRD... LOL ...funniest thing ever! Well, OK maybe you have to be a metalhead and a hockey fan, but it was F'in funny I tell ya!!!)

(BTW, the new Audioslave album is more of the good stuff too!)

The new Seven Circles album was good only as a plain rock album, but wasn't very innovative or fresh. It's strange though, that everyone I know who doesn't regularly listen to The Party wanted to borrow my copy of the new album. They seem to think that "Writing on The Wall" is a great song and they all want it. I like the album and the track, but it's far from their best stuff. Not really sure why Seven Circles is suddenly in demand among non-fans.

I know The Party is huge here in Canada and Australia. I understand that one of the reasons they weren't big in the U.S. is because EMI had a non-existant marketting portfolio for them in the States. No push was ever made to get them on stages, articles in magazines, play on radios, and what not. Even when they started selling millions of albums, no support was given. But, the did well enough without big success south of the border.

Personally, I love the influences and the innovations the Tea Party has done for metal and rock. The diverse sounds they create from a team of just three musicians is amazing. They often sound like a symphony with the amount of instrumentation put into many of their tracks. They are most definitely their own band and they offered a lot to music while most of the bands of the 90's were simply following alternative rock trends or rap.

I've seen The Party twice here in Calgary, usually at the Coca Cola stage during Stampede. They were fantastic both times. You're lucky to be so close to their home base and see them when they play bigger shows.

Well as I write this I'm listening to my 12" singles. At the moment Shiekback's 'Nemisis' is playing. Just finished 'Small Town Boy': Bronski Beat and before that it was Yaz - 'Nobody's Diary'. Comming up is 'Fade toGrey': by Visage, and 'Living on Video' by Trans X.

I would go on but if you recognize any of those I think you get the picture. Oh! also a huge beatles fan and a H-U-G-E Joy Division Fan.

'Nuff Said.

I'm didn't see it in the preceeding pages, but does anyone here listen to The White Stripes? I'm trying to decide whether I want to give their stuff a shot, but I doubt I've ever heard their music. Can anyone do some comaprions or describe what kind of music they play?

I'm didn't see it in the preceeding pages, but does anyone here listen to The White Stripes?  I'm trying to decide whether I want to give their stuff a shot, but I doubt I've ever heard their music.  Can anyone do some comaprions or describe what kind of music they play?

Hm, I don't get the fascinationwith The White Stripes... :huh:

IMO, its basically 'white boy & girl do the blues.' Meh. Like it hasn't been done before. I know that's heresy for A longtime Motor City resident to diss a Detroit Band (duo?) but there, I said it.

I have a buddy at work who has been trying to turn me on to them for some time now and I just can't get into 'em. He put up there entire discography on our office server, so I listened to it backwards and forwardsa few times. In the end, I'd rather listen to the original Blues artists.. or bands, like Zep or The Tea Party that use the blues as a springboard to something new. I guess I am lukewarm to White Stripes for much the same reason I have NEVER dug Clapton. Which is that it never hits me as more than an homage (at best) or retread (at worst) to the Blues. As a guitarist, I have always worshiped at the altar of likes of Page and Hendrix... but Clapton... meh... :rolleyes:

Of course, that's just my opinion. They definitly don't outright suck; Jack White has the spare blues thing down, and he definitly takes it seriously - he's not a poser - so I respect that... it just... I dunno... doesn't connect with me for some reason. But then that's the beauty of music and all art: different strokes for different folks! Check 'em out tho, and make yer own judgment. I'd be curious to hear what you think of 'em.

Here's a recommendation for something different to listen to: Songs: Ohia. Great spare stuff, the dude has a great/ unique voice and great guitar melodies...

Thanks Amped! I've been wondering what the White Stripes play for quite some time. I'd love to listen to some of their tunes before purchasing a CD. Supposedly they get radio play, but I never listen to the radio. I'll have to search on the net and give some of their more popular tunes a try.

I'll second (third, fourth...whatever) the Tea Party love, even if I did find Seven Circles to be a disappointment. Yes, I've said it. But even if it did turn out to be an average sounding album, they'll forever have my devotion for the Splendor Solis, Edges of Twilight and Transmission trifecta.

Hm, I don't get the fascinationwith The White Stripes... :huh:

Same here. They definitely have talent (on second thought, they shouldn't let Meg White sing, no matter what) but their songs leave me thinking, "meh." It's good but it's not put it on my playlist good.

On another note, a friend just turned me on to The Decemberists and Beulah. If anyone here is into indie rock, check them out, they're pretty good.

I'll second (third, fourth...whatever) the Tea Party love, even if I did find Seven Circles to be a disappointment. Yes, I've said it. But even if it did turn out to be an average sounding album, they'll forever have my devotion for the Splendor Solis, Edges of Twilight and Transmission trifecta.

I actually enjoyed Triptych more than Splendor Solis, so I consider the best three Party albums as:

The Edges of Twilight (1995)

Transmission (1997)

Triptych (1999)

I know a few of the later albums aren't looked upon too favorably by some of the Party community (especially the loud ones online...hehehe). I also know that a lot of Tea Heads resent Triptych because it brought the band such huge popularity in the mainstream and newer fans overlooked the brilliance of The Edges of Twilight. I have to say though, there are a few of my favorite Tea Party songs that come from the later albums. For example, "Angels" from The Interzone Mantras is in my top ten list of all time favorite Tea Party tunes. I know that Triptych often gets labelled as the mellow album of the Party collection. However, I was looking forward to the Party returning to some of the more melodic, morose tunes that made Splendor Solis such a trip. From 1993 onward, every album got progressively louder and harder until the band exploded on Transmission. I love my metal as much as the next fan, but it was good that they returned to a sound that embelished the other sides of the Tea Party voice.

Last download from iTunes was "One Minute Warning", the end theme to the first GITS movie, which wasn't originally on the OST.

Most played on my comp: "Jack The Ripper" by the God Father Of Punk, Link Wray and the Ray Men!!!

Lately I've been listening to Screeching Weasel's "My Brain Hurts" a lot.

IMHO, I think it's one of the best pop-punk albums ever, simply through the energy it invokes. Everyone I know who's listened to it likes it to some degree or another whether they're into punk or not, simply because it's such dumb fun with fast beat and catchy hooks.

• 2 months later...

Wow...now I'm feeling old already. Just found out that the band Velvet Revolver consists of Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots), Slash (Guns 'N' Roses), Duff McKagan (GNR), Matt Sorum (GNR) and Dave Kushner (Jane's Addiction). I'm debating on whether or not I should buy their debut CD Contraband, as I've only heard "Slither." For those who have the CD, is it worth buying if you're into old-school GNR and STP?

Axl Rose really needs to admit that Guns 'N' Roses is dead.

post-237-1126285958_thumb.jpg

I listen to a lot of old school stuff: Elvis Costello, The Police, Devo, Blondie, the Sex Pistols, the Clash, the Germs, and so on. I also love classical and medieval music, oddly enough. For those who are in LA, I do listen to Indie 103.1 also, and love Jonesy's Jukebox.

327163[/snapback]

I always thought (ducking the inevetable flying objects) that G'N'R was highly overrated. I've heard soem of their stuff during their heyday, and they weren't that hot, IMHO.

It's funny, but I've just recently been buying a bunch of music at various sales and I've been thinking about music all this past month. HMV, Future Shop, Best Buy, and a bunch of other stores are clearing loads of new and old overstocked product. Three for $30, $5 off any two, two for $15 and more. Must have purchased about ten CDs in the last month. At those prices, you can't lose.

Got a bunch of White Stripes for really cheap. It's good stuff so far, but I still have to listen to more. Picked up a Deftones album, Radiohead, The Smiths, and some Hip. I also finally picked up The Masterplan from Oasis. I've been meaning to pick up the album since it was released in 1998, but something more important always came up. So strange how it took this many years. Anyway, it rocks so I'm finally happy :)

Wow...now I'm feeling old already. Just found out that the band Velvet Revolver consists of Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots), Slash (Guns 'N' Roses), Duff McKagan (GNR), Matt Sorum (GNR) and Dave Kushner (Jane's Addiction). I'm debating on whether or not I should buy their debut CD Contraband, as I've only heard "Slither." For those who have the CD, is it worth buying if you're into old-school GNR and STP?

327163[/snapback]

I've heard it twice; it's okay. If I may, I'd recommend Audioslave if you want to listen to a really good supergroup (Cornell from Soundgarden and Morello/Commerford/Wilk from Rage Against The Machine). Their debut album (self titled) is really good, a fine merging of some flat out rockers and bass driven tunes.

The new Juliana Theory album, Deadbeat Sweetheart, hits stores today. The first pressing comes with a bonus DVD with four bonus songs... which I conveniently ripped from the DVD, then reburned onto a new CD with the rest of the album. Anyone else need those four songs in mp3 form, drop me a PM.

I always thought (ducking the inevetable flying objects) that G'N'R was highly overrated. I've heard soem of their stuff during their heyday, and they weren't that hot, IMHO.

After AfD, they started sucking pretty bad. That was there best album and it wasn't even THAT good. I think it was the bad-boy image and the trendy back stage whores that made them popular.

Now I have to listen to Judas Priest to get the crappy GNR songs out of my head!

All 80`s in general :  Cure, Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, A-Ha, Kim Wilde, T-Pau and the list goes on ... , I also like to listen to some of 70`s music plus I`m also a Heavy Metal freak my No.1 metal band : Iron Maiden, my favorite album - Somewhere in Time.

293033[/snapback]

Yay! Have you heard any of A-Ha's new stuff, or any of their not-well-known old songs like "I've been Losing You" or "The Swing of Things" or "Stay on These Roads"? Some people think they are a one-hit-wonder, but they have a lot of great songs. And they're HUGE in Norway. :D

My Favorite Bands:

Erasure

A-Ha

New Order

Billy Idol

Belinda Carlysle

Def Leppard

Enya

Favorite Movie/TV Soundtracks:

Never Ending Story

Star Wars (Original Trilogy)

Robotech

Favorite Video Game Soundtracks:

Secret of Mana (Video Game)

Chrono Trigger

Honorable Mentions:

Cure

Pet Shop Boys

OMD

Foo Fighters

Garbage

Weezer

Since so many people here like New Order, recommend some songs to me. I've only heard Substance, but it was so good that still I consider New Order one of my faves. What are their best songs (besides Subculture, Shell Shock, Bizzare Love Triangle, Blue Monday, and True Faith)?

The new Juliana Theory album, Deadbeat Sweetheart, hits stores today.  The first pressing comes with a bonus DVD with four bonus songs... which I conveniently ripped from the DVD, then reburned onto a new CD with the rest of the album.  Anyone else need those four songs in mp3 form, drop me a PM.

328004[/snapback]

I'm surprised there isn't more emo mentioned on MW than just your post. I haven't read completely through this thread in a while, but from what I can recall there isn't that much representation among the favoured bands of most MW members. Emo is so much like J-pop (IMO), but I suppose the lack of mainstream exposure may have somthing to do with it.

All 80`s in general :  Cure, Depeche Mode, Talk Talk, A-Ha, Kim Wilde, T-Pau and the list goes on ... , I also like to listen to some of 70`s music plus I`m also a Heavy Metal freak my No.1 metal band : Iron Maiden, my favorite album - Somewhere in Time.

293033[/snapback]

Yay! Have you heard any of A-Ha's new stuff, or any of their not-well-known old songs like "I've been Losing You" or "The Swing of Things" or "Stay on These Roads"? Some people think they are a one-hit-wonder, but they have a lot of great songs. And they're HUGE in Norway. :D

328027[/snapback]

Once I saw it on TV but I wasn`t into their new single. I have their greatest hit album and its totally awesome.

Wow, I somehow missed this thread first time around :)

I listen to Industrial, 80's electro-pop, and Goth:

INDUSTRIAL:

Skinny Puppy (Ohgr, RX, Cyberaktif, Doubting Thomas, Hilt)

Front 242 (C-Tec, Cobalt 60, Error Of Judgements by B6)

Frontline Assembly (Delerium, Will, Noise Unit, Protech, Synaestasia)

:Wumpscut:

Funker Vogt (Ravenous)

Spahn Ranch

KMFDM (Excessive Force, Pig)

NIN

Ministry (Revolting Cocks, PTP, Acid Horse, Lead Into Gold, 1000 Homo DJ's)

Pigface

Informatik(Battery Cage)

In Strict Confidence

Xorcist

Azoic

Destroid

Leatherstrip(Klute)

Haujobb

Birmingham 6

Bigod 20

Aghast View

Black Lung