Guest Bromgrev
Second of all,you guys are worse than anal retentive anime fans.

:o C'mon, keep it clean! Anyway, what's 'anal retentive anime'? And where can I buy some? :D

Perhaps this will alleviate some of the fans concerns about the movie. IGN has an extremely positive review of the script online. Read it HERE.

Wow after reading through the supposed movie script it appears to be a bash of a lot of first season episode plot pieces slammed together to form a movie... not to mention it features many of the recurring themes of the show like:

POTENTIAL SPOILERS! (only if you have never seen an episode of MV in your life)

- Crockett and Tubbs pose as -fill in the blank illicit rich man job-

- Crockett gets to use his Cigarette boat for police work (does anyone else smell a tax write-off? )

- Either Crockett or Tubbs become romantically involved with a perp or other person

- Zito gets killed

- Crockett and Tubbs leave the states and go "lone ranger" with no backup to catch the baddies

- The bad guy has a classic '80s stereotype coke baron name like "Calderone" or other such "south american" flair

- Crockett and Tubbs will be very, very overdressed for their jobs

- The name of the show is still Miami Vice even though they are clearly narco cops in the movie

My predictions:

- moody driving scenes in a car of some sort

- Crockett's Theme or Flashback played at least once in some sort of "modernized" version (stomach turning just thinking about this one)

- Some celebrity cameo, most likely a musician

Perhaps this will alleviate some of the fans concerns about the movie. IGN has an extremely positive review of the script online. Read it HERE.

Wow after reading through the supposed movie script it appears to be a bash of a lot of first season episode plot pieces slammed together to form a movie... not to mention it features many of the recurring themes of the show like:

POTENTIAL SPOILERS! (only if you have never seen an episode of MV in your life)

- Crockett and Tubbs pose as -fill in the blank illicit rich man job-

- Crockett gets to use his Cigarette boat for police work (does anyone else smell a tax write-off? )

- Either Crockett or Tubbs become romantically involved with a perp or other person

- Zito gets killed

- Crockett and Tubbs leave the states and go "lone ranger" with no backup to catch the baddies

- The bad guy has a classic '80s stereotype coke baron name like "Calderone" or other such "south american" flair

- Crockett and Tubbs will be very, very overdressed for their jobs

- The name of the show is still Miami Vice even though they are clearly narco cops in the movie

My predictions:

- moody driving scenes in a car of some sort

- Crockett's Theme or Flashback played at least once in some sort of "modernized" version (stomach turning just thinking about this one)

- Some celebrity cameo, most likely a musician

So do you want it to be the same or different? :huh:

So do you want it to be the same or different? :huh:

I simply am pointing out that the movie is appearing to just be a rehash with no "original" grounbreaking Michael Mann scriptwork so far. If that script that bsu linked to is even half correct than in my eyes the movie is already just a shallow modern day clone of the TV show. Nothing new or original. Even MM's directing cannot elevate it to something new and exciting in my eyes.

Mann just needs to come to grips with it that Vice is gone. It is done and over with. He should let it rest peacefully rather than being just like every other hollywood douche bag and digging it's bones up because he can't think of a new story idea.

Also on friday I asked around at my office and my employees said almost 10 to 1 that they believe the new Miami Vice movie should not be made, almost all of them using the same reasons I have posted so far. As a suprise the handfull that told me they wanted to see it were all A) women, B) Colin Farrell fans and C) almost a good ten years younger than me making them too young to have even seen Vice originally or have no memory/knowledge of the show. I would imagine the "legs" on this new movie are going to come not from original fans but from kiddies and people who never saw the original... sort of like the Starsky and Hutch movie.

Still, if the only defense of this movie remains that I should "Trust Michael Mann" then my trust in him is waining... big time.

Mandatory Phil Colins cameo.

Who's with me?

Cyc

Nah. How about a mandatory Jimmy Smits cameo so he gets blown up again?

I smile when ever I watch that, considering he was Tubbs until the producers wanted a different look for the show :)

But no, he's already in Episode III, can't have him in too many movies otherwise he'll have to give up his washed up actor status...

But no, he's already in Episode III, can't have him in too many movies otherwise he'll have to give up his washed up actor status...

Oh yeah? What about Christopher Lee? He was in both Star Wars Episode II and The Lord of the Rings.

Something like this wouldn't hurt Jimmy Smits' career, anyway.

Oh yeah? What about Christopher Lee? He was in both Star Wars Episode II and The Lord of the Rings.

Something like this wouldn't hurt Jimmy Smits' career, anyway.

He can be like Sam Jackson who's in everything except the Lord of the Rings.

Now that I think of it... I would willingly go see the new Miami Vice movie if Sammy Jackson was Tubbs and we got to see Jimmy Smitts get blowed up real good again.

That way when Tubbs calls Crockett "Crockett" he can actually call him Cracker (like it sounds like PMT is calling Crockett half the time anyway).

Now that I think of it... I would willingly go see the new Miami Vice movie if Sammy Jackson was Tubbs and we got to see Jimmy Smitts get blowed up real good again.

I'd like to start a petition asking that Samuel Jackson limits himself to one movie a year. He's in so much crap, whatever credibility he received from Pulp Fiction has been flushed down the toilet long ago.

At least it is hard to pin the suckiness of a movie on Sammy though... he tends to be just middle or background fodder in most of the bad movies he is in. Take Sphere, SWAT, Deep Blue Sea, and others for example... he has very minor roles in those movies and can't really be blamed for their terrible stink. The movies he headlines as the main character in are quite nice IMHO. Shaft was great fun. "Workshop my foot up your ass" has been in my vocabulary for years now. And I might be the only person left who actually liked Jackie Brown.

Guest Bromgrev
He can be like Sam Jackson who's in everything except the Lord of the Rings.

Take a closer look at the Uruk-Hai behind the one that takes the first arrow in the battle at the Hornburg ... :p

Well many fan's I know are dissapointed that farrel is the new Sonny... if you see his pic... it's just awfull :(

I didn't know that... that sucks. I can't stand that guy. He is like the new Kevin Costner.

Funny you say that :) I was just thinking how YOU reminded me of Kevin Costner...

In all seriousness, I'm sure the movie will score. People seem to go for movies along those lines.

Edited by Skull Leader

Vice was not really groundbreaking in terms of camera work, pace, content or style... it's claim to fame was that it brought all of those things from the movie theater and MTV into the Network TV realm. Vice pretty much influenced modern TV but the older movies and modern music videos (1980's modern) that Vice drew from are most likely what John Woo drew from as well. In all honesty Vice was just as much an imitator as anyone... they just were in a different genre ("Conservative" Network TV) so it seemed so goundbreaking and special.

Don't get me wrong, compare the camera work, pace and style of your average Vice episode to another dramatic "modern" Network TV cop show of the decade like Simon & Simon, Riptide, Magnum PI, Hunter, etc. etc. and you will see how radically different Vice was... but all that radical difference came from the movies and music videos that came before it.

Movies gave birth to MTV, MTV gave birth to Vice and Vice indirectly in turn can be credited as starting the new age of "higher level" Network Television we see today.

• 7 months later...

Was talking to a friend of mine who is a cop here in Miami and he told me that the production crew would actually take real homeless people from areas of the shoots and put them in as extras. Playing of coarse...homeless people. Party time under the bridges that night let me tell ya! :lol:

This just in...

The heroic Miami cops swooped in to arrest the drug dealers in a dark spot near the river. Shots were fired. Suspects fled. The manhunt was on.

Not the plot to the new Miami Vice flick -- it just happened next to where the movie was being filmed.

Just three blocks from where the movie version of the classic 1980s TV series was filming, Miami police officers on Tuesday night stormed the mobile home park just off Northwest 27th Avenue on the lip of the Miami River.

No ultra-cool vice detectives in Italo-casual pink shirts and pastel pants. Instead, there were uniformed and plainclothes officers from a Miami police unit called the ``Problem-Solving Team.''

The problem turned into this: As officers were making the arrests, one suspect fired several shots at the officer -- then unwittingly shot himself.

The shots missed. No Miami cops were injured. None returned fire.

The injured shooter was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center in stable condition.

Four people were arrested. One suspect escaped. Scores of officers set up a perimeter; a police helicopter buzzed through the night. Four police dogs were brought in.

''We figured it was part of the movie,'' said one movie set security guard, who watched as cops raced by during filming on Northwest South River Drive and 20th Street. Late Tuesday, officers stopped the search after deciding the escaped man had not been involved in the incident.

A Miami Vice spokesman could not say what scenes were being filmed in the movie remake of the landmark 1980s TV show, starring Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx.

Miami police spokeswoman Herminia Salas-Jacobson said off-duty police officers working security on the set were on hand to secure the area, which means any actors armed with guns were most likely advised to, well, put the props away.

''We didn't want there to be any misunderstandings,'' she said.

At the entrance to the movie set, a longtime Miami-Dade police officer sat in his squad car, watching an action movie DVD on his laptop.

Pretty ironic that a real shooting breaks out near the Miami Vice set, huh?

''Typical Miami,'' he said.

Edited by Zor Primus

Didn't one of the minor characters get killed off on the show? One of the other detectives?

I seem to remember someone died from the cast.

Its nutty to see that Olmos face always looked like he got ambushed by a cheesegrater, even when he was young.

343712[/snapback]

You are 100% correct, in the third season a two-parter episode titled "Down for the Count" Zito (the skinny sidekick of Sweitek) gets killed.

Season three was the turning point in Vice, it took on a much grittier and darker tone.

• 1 month later...
Looks awesome, not looking forward to waiting another 6 months though.

352171[/snapback]

No kidding. Between then and now we have....umm....quick, somebody name a movie worth seeing. JsARCLIGHT's (understandable) distaste for Farrell aside, that looks just like I'd hoped it would. The writeup under the 'story' section seems like classic Mann material. Here's hoping he knocks this one out of the park.

Can't stand Farrel as an actor. He is the new Ben Afleck.

Just watched the trailer. Gaahhhhh they start playing rap music halfway through.........NOooooooooooooooooo!

Sorry, the movie may be called Miami Vice, but it is NOT Miami Vice in any way, shape or form. Yes, there may have been lots of guns and shooting in the trailer and fast boats and planes, but it just did not feel like Vice to me.

And Farrel and Foxx are completely the wrong casting choice as Crocket and Tubbs IMO.

Oh well, at least I just got my shipping notice from Amazon for season 2 of the TV series. Can't wait for season 3 to come out so I can see Crocket's Testarossa and S&W 645 again.

Graham

Sorry, the movie may be called Miami Vice, but it is NOT Miami Vice in any way, shape or form. Yes, there may have been lots of guns and shooting in the trailer and fast boats and planes, but it just did not feel like Vice to me.

And Farrel and Foxx are completely the wrong casting choice as Crocket and Tubbs IMO.

352232[/snapback]

What would you have them do, dress everyone in pastels (hold the socks) and blast Phil Collins (as if he's any better than Jay Z)? Michael Mann looks to be approaching the movie not so much as a remake, but as a new movie with similar situations and characters to the original show. Frankly, any other approach would come off as hokey.

The best way to look at it is as a Michael Mann movie, not a literal Miami Vice remake. The upside of this is that given the quality of Mann's work, it'll probably be a great movie that can stand on it's own without having to say "hey, it's a remake."

As for Farrell, I'll just point your attention towards Tom Cruise in Collateral...

Edited by yellowlightman

352232[/snapback]

What would you have them do, dress everyone in pastels (hold the socks) and blast Phil Collins (as if he's any better than Jay Z)?

Yes, that is exactly what Mann should have done. Same era, same clothes, same music, same damn everything. I'd rather it be an homage to the original '80s series than some Hollywood-cookie-cutter-buddy-movie-uber-gay crap. If the casting gives us any clues as to what the finished product will be like, don't expect much. I don't understand why the hell anyone still hires Colon Farrell (yes, that's how I spell it). The guy is a complete and utter douche-bag and his best acting is when he pretends to not be an a-hole. Jamie Foxx is at least likeable, but if he starts acting stupid, it won't be Tubbs.

I really wish that Don Johnson and/or Philip Michael Thomas would have just f**king snapped when they heard about this film and stormed the set in a horrifically fantastic killing spree. That woulda been sweet.

Edited by Die, Alien Scum!

Yes, that is exactly what Mann should have done. Same era, same clothes, same music, same damn everything. I'd rather it be an homage to the original '80s series than some Hollywood-cookie-cutter-buddy-movie-uber-gay crap. If the casting gives us any clues as to what the finished product will be like, don't expect much. I don't understand why the hell anyone still hires Colon Farrell (yes, that's how I spell it). The guy is a complete and utter douche-bag and his best acting is when he pretends to not be an a-hole. Jamie Foxx is at least likeable, but if he starts acting stupid, it won't be Tubbs.

352281[/snapback]

What would be the point of a remake be if it just completely imitated the original? It'd end up like the Psycho remake; totally irrelevant because you might as well go back and watch the original.

If you're worried about it being "cookie cutter" I'd suggest you go rewatch HEAT, Collateral, and The Insider. Mann isn't a "cookie cutter" director, so there's no reason to expect this movie will be any different ESPECIALLY since he's writing and directing the thing. A listen to the commentary track on the Heat DVD would be worthwhile as well, just to give you an idea of how much work and effort the guy puts into his movies. He's not doing this to simply turn an easy buck.

Again, for the complaint about the bad casting look at Cruise in Collateral or Russell Crowe in The Insider. Mann can do amazing things with actors that people generally hate, so there's no reason he couldn't pull a decent performance out of Farrell.

What would you have them do, dress everyone in pastels (hold the socks) and blast Phil Collins (as if he's any better than Jay Z)?

Well I'll take Phil Collins over Jay Z anyday, but I'm old and nostalgic for the 80's. Plus, Rap/Hip Hop is... not my cup of tea. A short analysis of Phil Collins career; in the beginning he did some cool edgy songs. In the middle he became political-preachy and in the end, he sold his soul to Disney and makes mushy nonsense songs.

My favorite part of the old show was Edward James Olmos, but he's busy running from Cylons these days.