Mari Ijima at MW Con 5

Look what does it matter? Is it that hard or strenous to send money in advance? I want to show Mari something in good faith. I need Preorders to know that we held up our bargain. I dont want to wait til the last minute to find out that there arent enough people.

Chill dude, I was just asking for an explanation behind the cost raise. Don't need to get all butthurt just because someones asks you to explain yourself.

OK, here's some info for d00d5 like me that are planning to fly in...

Oh, and BTW, I'm in Maryland, just about the farthest point away from Cali that you can get and I'm coming, so the rest of you sissies better PUT UP!! :lol: J/K

Anyway, EXO was very helpful, and pointed out that flying into John Wayne airport would be better than LAX. To you non Californians (like me) this is definitely a good idea. California geography is lost on me aside from the fact that it is on the west coast, and that the parts Arnold doesn't hold up occasionally slide off into the ocean.. :lol:

So, John Wayne airport (SNA) is less than two miles from the Con location. So, that means if you come from another state, you shouldn't have to rent a car etc etc. Another reason to go...

Accomodation seems to be plentiful in that area, and pretty reasonable too given that it's the ritzy rich section of Cali.

Here's a link to the hotels local to John Wayne airport / the con location...

http://www.ocair.com/visitoc/generaltourism.htm

Thanks to Solscud, and EXO for the location info. All I have to do now is square away some airfare, and I'm good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree, the Rowboatechies have Robocon. This is Macross World.

Besides, if RT gets involved, HG might show up with their lawyers, and try to haul Mari away claiming that they own her. ;)

Who knows, maybe Reba West will show up and sing "Stage Fright" :lol::lol::lol:

HEHEHE, pre-reg sent and I'm in for sure. Nick, perhaps getting a list written of who is pre-reg will spur others to register beforehand. Sorry you have to deal with whiners.

Guys, just pre-register. $25.00 isn't a lot considering many of you spend hundreds on one toy, or model kit. Less than 10 minutes sending it in and you're set. I hate paypal sometimes as well, but Nick gave the option to send a check or just pay and extra $5.00 at the door. Call it an "inconvenience fee" because those that are too lazy to do things when you should become one. :lol:

Anyways, I'll be there for sure and if you need help to set up Nick, let me know and I'll get there early. Memo will probably show up but a little later as he's gonna be at an anime convention in Boston and coming back sunday morning.

That carne asada Memo makes is damn good too! Make sure you come with plenty of room in your stomachs. :lol:

is he even gonna be making it this year?

Ok i just wanted to respond to people that bitch about prepaying...

A year or so ago , a friend and I were doing a club at a local night spot....

We aranged for an artist from up north to come by and do his thing, reggae chat.

We were so confident of the turn out we gave his manager a guarantee of "x" amount of dollars for his artist to show up...this guy is well known and has a following in the reggae world so we thought that amount would be resonable....

Turns out the club did not do it's share of promoting and the turn out was not as we expected...

I ended up having to ask his manger if we could pay later in the week, after the performance...he didnt like that one bit,,,,

(good thing i had an extra sak of sensi laying around to calm his ass down..redeye..)

It was a great show so we didn't trip too much when we had to pay out of pocket to cover the show....( plus i had digital recorder going so.... B)) .)

But if we were to do it again we would definatley do the prepay thing..

Most clubs/ events do charge more the day of the event,

just cuz from a promoter's stance it gives a sense of "solid-idty" to the turn out and a sense of profesionalism to the performer... and also rewards those down from the get- go..

See ya guyz there...

Suggestions:

1. Invite RTechies to spread the cost...( puts on paintball mask and gets ready to dodge spoiled food )

2. tickets for food...(ex. 1 tic = so many pices of meat /pizza, extra given out after all who have paid get their share)

Edited by orguss01

Suggestions:

1. Invite RTechies to spread the cost...( puts on paintball mask and gets ready to dodge spoiled food )

I realize this won't sway a lot of people one way or the other, but for me personally, knowing that a bunch of people from RT.com are going to be there will probably dissuade me from attending. I wouldn't mind people who like RT. . . and are familiar with Macross and MW showing up. . . but I'd probably stay away if this thing were publicized at RT.com and a bunch of those types were going to show up.

Again, I don't think my opinion matters much. . . but just sharing. :)

H

Suggestions:

I realize this won't sway a lot of people one way or the other, but for me personally, knowing that a bunch of people from RT.com are going to be there will probably dissuade me from attending. I wouldn't mind people who like RT. . . and are familiar with Macross and MW showing up. . . but I'd probably stay away if this thing were publicized at RT.com and a bunch of those types were going to show up.

Again, I don't think my opinion matters much. . . but just sharing. :)

H

On second thought. Maybe I could set up a booth with side-by-side comparisons of Macross and RT. . . compare voice acting. . . music. . . annoying narration. . . and too much exposition. . .

It could be a mass intervention!

H

Suggestions:

What do you mean by "those types?" :rolleyes:

My experience with the Robotech fan community is admittedly pre-Robotech.com, but just about every Robotech fan I met was familiar with Macross and was a fan of both. In the days of the DoZ (largest online Robotech fan club before Robotech.com) we talked extensively about Robotech and in the newsletter Macross news was written about right next to Robotech news.

I'm not sure where the idea that Robotech fans know nothing about Macross or are completely ignorant come from, but from my experience it hasn't been the case. If they're being judged on the few bad-apples that come over from Robotech.com then there's really no basis, given that at least one of our well-known members here on MW used to spend a fair amount of his time trolling Robotech message boards.

Also, this event isn't online... it's in person. Considering we're a couple of anime forums, no one's really going to have the balls to confront anyone or start any fights in person, and I bet face to face everyone will be quite cordial.

Suggestions:

My experience with the Robotech fan community is admittedly pre-Robotech.com, but just about every Robotech fan I met was familiar with Macross and was a fan of both. In the days of the DoZ (largest online Robotech fan club before Robotech.com) we talked extensively about Robotech and in the newsletter Macross news was written about right next to Robotech news.

I'm not sure where the idea that Robotech fans know nothing about Macross or are completely ignorant come from, but from my experience it hasn't been the case. If they're being judged on the few bad-apples that come over from Robotech.com then there's really no basis, given that at least one of our well-known members here on MW used to spend a fair amount of his time trolling Robotech message boards.

Also, this event isn't online... it's in person. Considering we're a couple of anime forums, no one's really going to have the balls to confront anyone or start any fights in person, and I bet face to face everyone will be quite cordial.

Well, that's your experience. My experience is that I'd rather spend time with the people I've grown to know here. . . who won't refer to "Veritechs" or "Admiral Hunter" and who won't confuse the protoculture with a power source.

But that's just me.

Suggestions:

Well, that's your experience. My experience is that I'd rather spend time with the people I've grown to know here. . . who won't refer to "Veritechs" or "Admiral Hunter" and who won't confuse the protoculture with a power source.

But that's just me.

Great post my son.

I'm a fan of Robotech as well as Macross, but I don't think it needs to be publicized over there. If there are fans of RT.com that frequent this site, know about the con, and are fan enough of Macross to come, I think that'd be fine. Most people from the previous con thought Memo was real cool, and he's a rt fan first, but loves macross as well and is a fan. I can understand that many of you are RTphobic for your own bizarre and unique reasons, but some of them are big Macross fans, like myself. I love Macross just as much as RT, and would support both.

But to get back to the subject, this is a con for the Macross fans, and paying $25 for a MWcon is good enough to show some dedication. I don't think some of those RT people who are "fair-weathered fans" will pay to come in and feel uncomfortable. This is Macross, not Robotech, and it should be and stay particularly as that. :D

Just in case there is any confusion over what I said, allow me to put a part of it in bold:

I wouldn't mind people who like RT. . . and are familiar with Macross and MW showing up. . .

But I don't think that will be the type of Robotech fan that shows up if it is publicized over at RT.com

It's not like we're going to forcefully remove Robotech fans from the event if someone shows up who loves "The Macross Saga" part of Robotech. But, neither do we want to be inundated with a ton of people who have never even seen DYRL. :)

Edited by Hurin

Just in case there is any confusion over what I said, allow me to put a part of it in bold:

I wouldn't mind people who like RT. . . and are familiar with Macross and MW showing up. . .

But I don't think that will be the type of Robotech fan that shows up if it is publicized over at RT.com

It's not like we're going to forcefully remove Robotech fans from the event if someone shows up who loves "The Macross Saga" part of Robotech. But, neither do we want to be inundated with a ton of people who have never even seen DYRL. 

I couldn't agree with you more, and I hope you don't think I was attacking you or anyone for that matter. I just read some posts, and some people think they're funny by rehashing stupid jokes from a small fued that has long since died out. Like it's some war or something. There can be some over the top fans from both sides, and I like it when there's just plain old fans who know about what they are at the con for, and can have fun, have a few drinks with other fans, and make new friends. That's what it's really about... Macross fans hanging out.

I couldn't agree with you more, and I hope you don't think I was attacking you or anyone for that matter.

Nah! Wasn't directed at you. But it seems like somehow my post had been mis-interpreted by a prior poster as an attack on Robotech fans. I didn't call them ignorant. Nor did I really say much of anything else except that some of them would be welcome. . . but a large number of RT.com people would dilute the MW atmosphere and (for me) spoil the event.

I couldn't agree with you more, and I hope you don't think I was attacking you or anyone for that matter.

Nah! Wasn't directed at you. But it seems like somehow my post had been mis-interpreted by a prior poster as an attack on Robotech fans. I didn't call them ignorant. Nor did I really say much of anything else except that some of them would be welcome. . . but a large number of RT.com people would dilute the MW atmosphere and (for me) spoil the event.

DITTO!

See, that's what's good about the $25.00- No diehard RT people coming over and getting annoying. I know a lot of the RT people, and some can be quite annoying. Although I'm over there a lot, I know my info about Macross and come with my Macross game face when I'm there (and my customs).

Somebody mentioned the fact that they'd hate to see our customs and displays called Veritechs, and I agree, even I'd wanna wrap a pool stick around their head, but then again, that just sounds like fun sometimes anyways... I know, call me disturbed :lol:

Hi Solscud007: I won't be able to make it this year, but can I pay the $25 and have a signed CD mailed back to me? I'll pay the shipping and handling when you mail the items back to my home here (Daly City, CA) :unsure:

You mentioned that we can have 2 items signed by Mari, right? Any idea of a second item that I can purchase with your help to get it signed? :blink:

Thank you :)

Edited by rnurmin

Hey Rudy I'll take care of it since I'm going down I'll let you have mine just pay for my entrance fee don't worry I have my gf as my back up copy :D

from Rich

Edited by goldenboy_forever

If there is anyone that is comming to mwcon and needs a room I have one room available but you have to share the room with godzilla . You'll be stayng at the hyatt in west hollywood. you'll get to kick it with me, godzilla, patt, exo ,etc who ever else is in burbank. Probably chill friday night hit up frank and sons on saturday see mari saturday night hit up mwcon sunday. The reservation for the room is already made you just need to split the rate with godzilla the room normally cost $214 but I got the hook ups and got the room for 85 buck , so if you split 85 your basicly paying 40-45 buck with out tax. Shoot me a pm if your intrested.

from Rich

don't count on any solid time for F&S. People always say they're gonna get there early but they'll get there an hour or two later than they say. Noon is a safe bet to get enough time to look around. Don't count on the Macross haven it used to be touted as. Things have pretty much dried up as far as that. Tisinc is prolly the only place to go now and you know about their prices. They're also the last one open first one closed. They have like a 3 hour window of sales. But anime, comic books, movies, Nascar, and other sports memoribilia will be covered. We usually meet up at Carls Jr to get sorted and shoot the sh!t a lil bit before and watch Pat drown his misery in ketchup.