Mari Ijima at MW Con 5

Mari Ijima invite to MWCon5.

Ok guys, here is the deal. Yesterday night XStoys, Kidkorrupt and I went to Mari's show in Hollywood. (Bobe Patt, it was a stones throw from Imaginary Forces)

Anyway i talked to Steve Yun (who was there and is one of the leading guys of RT) and told him my intentions to invite RT.com people. As well as Mari Ijima. She is awaiting my email for more details.

We are inviting Mari Ijima to MW5. Now here is the deal. I propose we promise CD sales to make it worth her time. Im hoping for like 50 people

I will be charging an entrance fee for this year's MWCon5. Now before any of you cheap asses start saying "I dont want to pay for anything" then you arent a true fan. This entrance fee will be completely non profit for us here at MW. All proceeds are for Mari. Basically it will be between 20-25 dollars. But you will get a Music CD Auotographed (contents of CD are TBD, might not be macross related) however entrance fee will cover food and autograph session with Mari Along with all other fantastic Macross activities.

Mari is a vey nice and gracious person. However there are some serious ground rules that need to be understood.

1. Macross was a job for her. She does not share the same passion for it as we do. So lame ass questions like "uh in episode 14 you said this when you meant to say this, blah blah blah" she doesnt remember, let alone care. So please try to bring your self back to reality. Of course Im sure her experience is rememberable but think before you ask. Compose yourselves. Not like the stalker fan last night and the previous mini concert (Mari was talking to someone and apparently, some fan's obsession got the better of him and he interupted her conversation and thrusted her first Concert Promo in the air, he was beeming with pride, but Mari was how shall we put this politely? Disturbed but polite.

2. Keep your autographs limited as much as possible. Aside from the autographed CD, keep it to liek 2 items. And please no ebaying autographed items. This is a privilage for Macross Fans. Not a way to make a quick buck.

3. I do not expect her to bring equipment or anything to sing at MW Con5. Please recognize and see her beyond the role of just Minmei.

I know its getting serious taking some of the fun out but cmon since when did we have someone famous come to MW Con5? Egan loo brought Kawamori, couple years back to Anime Expo, but we couldnt get close to him with a 10 ft pole. This will be different.

So if you guys say its cool then I will go ahead with the invite. To keep it professional

hopefully the venue of having it in a Clubroom of a gated community will be ok. Sorry JasonC but having MW Con 5 at some one;s back yard may be a bit creepy haha. (kinda like the movie Trekkies, "THis year was good cause a girl came") Im trying to show ourselves as more than just a bunch of geeks enthralled with a cartoon more than 20 years old. haha

Hey hey, I'm cool with that. Actually, I just offered my house cause I was a little worried about not finding a location. But in any case, $20-$25 is fine with me. It's just a small fee, no big deal. Count me in and I still think the date that everyone is pushing for in your other thread is fine. I just need to set it up where my summer party isn't the same weekend

:D

As for lunch has anyone looked into getting it catered? I know a close friend of the family owns a catering business, and I may be able to get a decent deal. If you want, I'll get a menu for you and I'll see to it that we get a good hookup.

Don't worry if she doesn't want to sing I'll do all the singing.

"Kyun! Kyun!" :lol:

I am totally up for this but not all of us live in the LA area anymore. We'll need a date written in stone and a few months to prepare.

Don't worry if she doesn't want to sing I'll do all the singing.

"Kyun! Kyun!" :lol:

I am totally up for this but not all of us live in the LA area anymore. We'll need a date written in stone and a few months to prepare.

What he said..

I've always wanted to make it to one of the MW Cons, and if you all get Mari to show up, I will finally have the excuse I need to hop a flight from the East Coast to come to one.

Since my chances of ever meeting anyone who had anything to do with Macross at Otakon are practically NIL, I will have to travel to do so.

Plus, I need my Champagne box set autographed :p

So, the sooner the date gets pinned down, and Mari's attendance is confirmed, the better.

That sounds good to me. I was going to see her at Anime Expo and buy a CD, but since she cancels this works out fine.

I think that you are making a mistake by not asking her to perform. When I saw her at Ani-magic in 2000, she didn't have any band. She played a keyboard and sang. If 50 people show up, that would be about normal for her gigs. So I don't see the harm in at least asking her to sing a short set. Just my 2 cents. Either way it would be nice.

Sorry JasonC but having MW Con 5 at some one;s back yard may be a bit creepy haha. (kinda like the movie Trekkies, "THis year was good cause a girl came")

LOL!

One suggestion, perhaps Agent One should not be allowed to attend, or if he does, all door knobs should be removed prior to his arrival, to avoid any err....embarrasing incidents :lol:

I can just see it now: -

Mari: Eww...what is that guy doing to that door knob over there? OMG that's sick, I'm outta here".

Graham

Mari at MWCon. Wow. I'd pay $25 just to take a pic of Mari looking strangely at all the fanboys staring at her like a deer in headlights.

And yeah, someone bring their nice keyboard to the gig - if Mari doesn't feel like singing, just have Focker sing and ask her to duet for the closing credits...

And someone mod up a little gift for her - like a Minmay Guard valk or something. I'm sure she's appreciate the thought.

Doh. Maybe I should spend the $25 just to have my Minmay Guard valk shipped over there for her to sign, you can ship it back with the CD...

This could be a great 'Con to remember.

Anyway i talked to Steve Yun (who was there and is one of the leading guys of RT) and told him my intentions to invite RT.com people.

Please tell me you're not inviting Kevin McKeever to the party.

What areaseven doesn't like bankofkev? You need to hear about how much better RT is than Macross. He will tell you of all the virtues of that mystical protoculture, and how it fuels his Veritech Hover Car. ;)

uhh...is that the robotech purist guy? :blink::unsure::ph34r:

it's kinda funny, i'm here in socal yet i doubt i'll attend the mw con...simply because i don't feel like i'm as true a fan as any of you guys out there...hope everything goes well and hope you all don't turn into rabid fanboys in mari ijima's presence :ph34r::D:lol::lol:

it's kinda funny, i'm here in socal yet i doubt i'll attend the mw con...simply because i don't feel like i'm as true a fan as any of you guys out there...hope everything goes well and hope you all don't turn into rabid fanboys in mari ijima's presence :ph34r::D:lol::lol:

See its all about compsing one's self. Knowing timing and appropriateness when engaging conversation with someone liek that. There is no need to go and tell them why you like macross so MUCH!!!! they dont really care. I think al they care is that some one likes their work.

well you don't have to be a big enough macross fan to go. You should go to meet your fellow MW members and you might end up being in the "Circle" of friends that's been formed. ;):p:D:lol:

Wow, that would be really cool to meet her, but living on the east coast makes it hard for me to go. :\

Join the club, I would love to be there.

At least u guys are in the same country! I run the risk of being turned around by your immigration folk at the airport! :p

Saying that, I'm thinking of a trip to San Diego to visit some friends some time middle of this year, so if you guys can sort this out as soon as possible and confirming the date, I might just be able to make it with any luck.

Nothing better than killing 4 birds with one stone. :) Seeing my friend, visiting California, attending MWCon AND meet Mari Iijimia. Wow. Fantastic.

Make it so, number one. (TNG style) hehe.

While I'd love to meet Mari, the chance of me travelling all the way from HK to the US just to do so is pretty slim in my present financial state.

Anyway, I'd probably just go all rabid fanboy on her and ask her to recreate the DYRL shower scene :p .

Graham

Aight guys finally a reply. She said that she is busy right now prepping for her trip to Tokyo. So she asked if she could send a serious reply when she returns. Of course I said take your time and that we await her reply.