Character Blue?

Brewtal

For the hasegawa yf-19 it asks for a color called "character blue" + white for certain portions of the pilot. But i've had no luck finding it. So is there a way to possibly mix certain colors to get this effect?

Thanks.

For the hasegawa yf-19 it asks for a color called "character blue" + white for certain portions of the pilot. But i've had no luck finding it. So is there a way to possibly mix certain colors to get this effect?

Thanks.

I am sure mixing any paint is a strong choice. What type of paints are you going to use?

What does 'character blue' look like?

I think if you can't find a color you are better off trying to find out for yourself. Is a good way to learn and get what you really need.

For example there are blues that tend to have a warm feeling to it; they have a reddish pigmentation added like the Pthalo or royal blue. There are other blues like the Ultramarine that have greens and yellows on it and make them cold feeling; If you have 2 opposites variations you can pretty much mix any gradient of blue imaginable.

On the tamiya side you should have a royal, regular, medium,and sky blue available.

After doing some digging I found out that hasegawa was asking for a lacquer paint from mr color.

Now that i had a reference for the paint, i mixed some model master cobalt blue with a couple drops black and got a mixture that's pretty close.

David Hingtgen had this to say about robocop:

You could always just watch the show and see what colors they're supposed to be. It's not like an F-15 kit, where there's a "real" one to match paint to---just match the animation.

I'm a bit new to painting, puttying, etc... model kits so it's kinda unnatural to deviate from the instructions. But i see your point.

Ah. Well then, here's some advice: a *lot* of painting suggestions/colors are wrong. And unless it gives a specific FS number, then it's only "the closest color we or our affiliates sell is" not "exact match" nor "the closest color anybody sells".

PS--especially since 99% of kits come from Japan, they will almost always suggest Imperial Japanese Navy etc colors---even for the USAF, Royal Navy, Star Trek, etc. Pick what you think looks right, not merely what they suggest. Very rarely are color suggestions officially approved/matched by the people who made the original.

Gotta agree with David, I've never understood people's fascination with using the "proper" color. I mean, go into any model shop and you'll see a ton of different colors, just find one that matches or mix what you want. Realistically.. It's an anime model, even in the worst case scenario you won't have some military buff telling you that the color is wrong or something. :lol:

Agree 100%. Most jap. companies listed Gunze colors in the instruction (even if they don't say it at all!!) The Gunze catalogue is wide enough but the best thing is to watch the anime or whatever and try to figure out the colors.

Remember that in the eighties there were even a Macross Color series of gunze paints? (you can find them in the old Arii models instrucctions)