Sonic X

SDFcommander

I don't have a problem so far with Sonic X, it is alot better than Sonic the Movie which had a horrible dubbing and plot problem from the getgo, and made you want to puke a few times. Not too mention the animation quality style was as bad as Tenchi in Tokyo which I think is by far one of the worst styles around...nasty proportions and angle's.

But I enjoyed the original series that was on ABC what, nearly 10 years ago? I didn't even know the guy who was Steve Urkle provided the voice for Sonic back than, but it carried a great sense of darkness, action, romance and comedy. I really wish I could of seen the whole series cause it just kept changing timeslots around me and I only got to catch what was the defeat of Robotnix.

I'm also having some trouble identifying Eggman, granted he's been eggman through out all of the sonic and knuckle games, but why Robotnix (Robuttnix in sonic terms) become the name instead back in the early shows?

Sonic X is okay by my standards, but it's still going in Japan, and I think they barely just into the double digit episodes, I think it's REALLY new in Japan let alone America, only showing episodes once a week, so 4Kids has got too be producing these rather quickly. I think the Japanese Sonic X is hmmm I don't know somewhere past 15-16 by now.

Oh well ^^

I haven't seen Sonic X yet, but it seems closer to the original concept of the Sonic universe than the original ABC series used to be (I used to watch it religiously almost). Even more than the comics as well.

Anyone remember that back then there was two different Sonic cartoons on TV? There was the more "kiddie" one on ABC and then there was another one that was on like TNT or something that was much more mature... Sonic X kinda reminds me of it.

Vostok 7

I haven't seen Sonic X yet, but it seems closer to the original concept of the Sonic universe than the original ABC series used to be (I used to watch it religiously almost). Even more than the comics as well.

Anyone remember that back then there was two different Sonic cartoons on TV? There was the more "kiddie" one on ABC and then there was another one that was on like TNT or something that was much more mature... Sonic X kinda reminds me of it.

Vostok 7

The one he was part of a Rock band? That wasn't mature... that was simply ultra crap. <_<

Sonic has the potential to become a loved anime, it has no basic story line (DragonballZ), has a fast fella' (Kirby, Pokemon,etc..) and is know all around the world. Also has the extra of being a game!

What I'm waiting to see is some Sonic in kick ass anime. Imagine Sonic with the graphics and anime of Macross Zero, or Wounderful days!

(sonic would be running like hell twoards someone In a 2nd person angle and then the camera turn to show a huge guy that look like It came off Final Fantasy the spirits within)

doesn't urkel do the voice of sonic?

Yep, Jaleel White (Steve Urkel of Family Matters fame) did once played the role of Sonic. IMO, it's the worst casting decision to made when it comes to Sonic.

Fortunately for the Sonic X anime, he's NOT reprising his role as Sonic. (thank goodness)

Here's the rundown of Sonic in animated form, to clear the confusion of what's what:

* Sonic the Hedgehog (ABC, 1993-1995): This cartoon was based on the Archie comic series and was recorded by Los Angeles voice actors. For some reason, ABC renewed this weekly show for a second season.

* The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (syndication, 1993-1994): This is a weekday version of the Sonic cartoon, done as a joint venture between DiC and Bohbot Entertainment. In addition of being produced by a different cartoon studio, this TV show (except for Jaleel White as Sonic) was recorded by the voice actors of Ocean Group studios. Ian James Corlett as Coconuts was the most hilarious role in his voice acting work. Long John Baldry (this version of Robotnik) would later play a role in Reboot as Captain Capicitor, the Crimson Binome.

Although this show made 65 episodes compared with ABC's show of 26 episodes, the show aired on early mornings (DiC was unable to get the timeslots they wanted) and out of reach from the target audience who wanted to watch it. DiC would later have the same problem bringing new shows in sydication later on.

* Sonic Undergroud (sydication, 1999-2000): This cartoon tries to continue where the ABC version of the show left off but lacks in some places (characters like Tails are gone in favor of new ones). This show was also recorded by the Ocean Group and reprising Jaleel White as Sonic.

Fortunately, all three shows were forgettable IMO. Only the Sonic OAV (from ADV) and Sonic X (from 4Kids) animes are the only things interesting to me now.

I'm not all that impressed by the new Sonic show. Sure, it's probably better, by far, than any of the previous Sonic shows, but I didn't like them either. The Sonic OVA released in the states by ADV is probably my favourite Sonic show so far, and that wasn't even that good.

How is it that the people making the GAMES are writing better stories than the people writing a show using the same characters?

My biggest problem with Sonic X is that they make several of the big "no-no's" of using a videogame license to make a cartoon. The biggest of which is removing the characters from their own world, the second of which is introducing a stupid kid sidekick. The third is blatantly ignoring the stories presented in the already existing franchise.

So Sonic get's transported to 'the human world', big mistake. Then Sonic get's a stupid kid sidekick, when he already had Tails, Cream and Amy. To top it all off, despite the fact that humans already existed in Sonic's own world, he's suddenly suffering from some amnesia that makes him forget what humans are!

About the only thing I can give the show credit for is the excellent music (which has been sadly removed and replaced with crappy music for the American version), and the fact that they call Eggman, Eggman. I personally think Eggman is a much better name than the post-cold war lingering anti-Russian prejudice induced, originality-lacking, "Americanization" name; Robotnik. No style.

The animation looks sharp, for a tv series, and the characters are well portrayed (Sonic and the rest of the Sega cast, that is. They at least act pretty much how they should. At least from what I've seen so far). One can only hope that at the end of this first season, they'll wrap up everything, send Sonic and company home, and forget this whole thing ever happened. Then in season 2 they'll concentrate on a more Sega Sonic style Sonic story and make not even a mention to the whole 'going to another world' thing. If they did that, the show could very well become the best Sonic show to date, and a huge treat for Sonic fans. If that happens, I hope they release the original, unedited version of the show to DVD. I've seen several episodes of the Japanese version, and this is my laundry list of complaints from that, the edited and dubbed version I don't even have the desire to watch.

Sonic X is the best Anime fare right now IMHO. It has the juvenile humor I liked when the old TMNT toon was on the air. I saw an episode today where Sonic gives the index finger to the eye to Eggman and you'd think they'd cut that out on air but it was brilliant to keep it! Props to whoever brought it here to the states (4kids? SABAN :angry:?)

~G25

Wait, isn't Eggman and Robotnik part of his full name though? Like Eggman was his lastname and Robonik was his first or middle name? I seem to remember something like that when I was playing Sonic Adventure on my Dreamcast. Or maybe the long hours of school, study, etc are getting to me.

its ok, the only thing that bothers me is the bi-plane. I never liked that part in the game having tails flying it and the show seems to made it worst. Im not sure about the kid sidekick, Part of me wishes for knuckles to beat the snot of of him but if he had more of a role other than giving sonic the mini-power ring then it would be ok.