Macross Eternal Love Song

yellowlightman

Just bought this game off of ebay for about $20, came in great shape (no scratches on the CD, manual in great shape, even had the little paper thing the hapanese put on the edge of their CDs). Haven't got a chance to play it yet since I don't have a Turbo Duo or a PC-Engine, just waiting to visit my girlfriend and play it on her computer with an emulator. :)

Found a couple of cool sites with information on the game, but you don't see it discussed much. Hopefully once I play it a bit and get some good screen shots I'll post some info about it on my web site.

So anyone played it? Comments? Complaints?

BTW, here's the two sites I was talkin about:

Link 1

Link 2

The second page is in Portuguese, so you might need to run it through Babblefish or something if you want to read it. :)

Edited by yellowlightman

Just bought this game off of ebay for about $20, came in great shape (no scratches on the CD, manual in great shape, even had the little paper thing the hapanese put on the edge of their CDs). Haven't got a chance to play it yet since I don't have a Turbo Duo or a PC-Engine, just waiting to visit my girlfriend and play it on her computer with an emulator.  :)

Found a couple of cool sites with information on the game, but you don't see it discussed much. Hopefully once I play it a bit and get some good screen shots I'll post some info about it on my web site.

So anyone played it? Comments? Complaints?

BTW, here's the two sites I was talkin about:

Link 1

Link 2

The second page is in Portuguese, so you might need to run it through Babblefish or something if you want to read it.  :)

Hi !

There are at least two ELS enthusiasts on MW: Roycommi and me. :)

Personally, I worship this game. Like I said many times, I enjoy more the non-Studio Nue projects and their settings than the recent Studio Nue projects (from Plus to Zero). And ELS is my favorite of these non-Studio Nue projects.

Here are my thoughts about the game:

Story: It may not be the brightest story ever (OMG more Zentradi invaders), but the development and plot twists are very good for a game of the era. Plus the game has a very nice DYRL-style setting/atmosphere, and you can't beat that. Furthermore it makes a pretty good job at describing the era between the original generation and Macross II.

Characters: Nice set of characters designed by Mikimoto himself and brought to life by confirmed voice actors. You basically have three line-ups of characters in this game:

The new heroes (Kiryû, Letlade, Lyle etc...)

The characters from Macross 2036 (Maria, Lott etc...)

The veterans from the original series (Britai, Exsedol).

The cast of good guys is completed by an interesting cast of villains, complete from the Big Bad Guy to the Henchmen Of the Level.

The game itself: Most of the Macross games suck if you remove the "Macross factor" (you know what I mean), but this one manages to stand out by itself. It's your average Strategy RPG with 30-something levels. Difficulty-wise, it's not a hard game but it will keep you playing for a long time nonetheless. Graphics etc... were very good for the time and are still nice provived you can appreciate something other than the newest 3D games. Special mention to the animated scenes before and after each map. These scenes (complete with macross music and voice acting) do a great job at telling the story. Great scenes with a good old-school-Macross feeling.

Of course Mikimoto designs help a lot :-)

My only complaint: The game should be ported to Gameboy Advance, or better to a PS2/GC with extended missions and animation clips.

:)

Edited by Yoshi

Very cool, I'm glad to hear its a good game. I'm a big strategy buf, and although my Japanese isn't what I wish it was... I've played enough Japanese strategy games that hopefully I can get through this one okay.

I definately agree on the appeal of the non-Studio Nue projects, I've been working on getting the PC-98 games to work on an emulator as well. Hoping that in the near future I can put together a feature about the non-Studio Nue works on my website, simply because you rarely see any information about them on the web. Nowadays they're defnately Macross' bastard child (more so than Macross 7) and they're rarely discussed.

Finally got a chance to play it, and I definately got to gree with Yoshi that it's a good game. A little average in terms of anime strategy games (very similar to others) but the good music and familiar Macross mecha definately make it worth while. I just wish my Japanese was good enough to really understand the story. By the end of the week I'll hopefully put up a section on my website about it, once I get all my screenshots and manual scans organized.

JBO, playing it might be a bit difficult for you if you haven't played any Japanese strategy games. I'm sure you can figure it out, just expect some trial and error unless you have a kanji guide.

JBO, playing it might be a bit difficult for you if you haven't played any Japanese strategy games. I'm sure you can figure it out, just expect some trial and error unless you have a kanji guide.

Having blundered my way through much of a Super Robot Wars game or 2, I think I can handle it. :)

Having blundered my way through much of a Super Robot Wars game or 2, I think I can handle it. :)

Ahh, should be a cinch then. Have fun, it's a great game!